Ratings: Broke Girls Tops Monday, Gossip Girl Rises; Sunday's Homeland Sets a New High

And The Big OpeningCBS scored a decisive Monday win this week in both total viewers and among the coveted 18-49 demo.

How I Met Your Mother opened the night with 9.05 million total viewers and a 3.3 rating, up 10 percent and two tenths week-to-week; leading out of that, a Big Bang repeat did 10.4 mil/3.3 (up some 50 percent from last week’s Broke Girls rerun).

A 9 o’clock double-pump of the 2 Broke Girls then did 11.8 mil/4.0 and 11.5 mil/3.9, improving upon the show’s previous numbers and Mike & Molly‘s, respectively. Hawaii Five-0 capped CBS’ evening with 10.4 mil and a 2.7, up 11 and 17 percent.

All of CBS’ tallies are pending adjustments due to an NFL preemption in Houston.

RELATED | As Voice Rests and Revolution Pauses, No. 1 NBC Expects ‘Leveling of the Playing Field’

Elsewhere on Monday:

* ABC’s Extreme Makeover double-header averaged 5.44 mil/1.4, up 24 and 40 percent week-to-week — pending adjustments due to an NFL bump in Boston.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The Voice Season 3 Semifinals Recap: To Die Four

* NBC’s The Voice was flat at 12.2 mil/3.8. Howie Mandel’s Take It All then debuted to 7.2 mil/2.2, while the Michael Buble holiday special (5.8 mil/1.4) was down 48 percent in the demo from last week’s Blake Shelton special.

RELATED | Gossip Girl Recap: How the Mighty Have Fallen

* The CW’s 90210 (1.16 mil/0.6) rose some 20 percent, while Gossip Girl‘s penultimate episode (1.03 mil/0.5) swelled 30 and 67 percent.

* Fox’s presentation of the American Country Awards (5.1 mil/1.4) was down 30 percent in the demo versus last year.

UPDATE: Turning back to Sunday TV, the penultimate episode of Dexter Season 7 drew 2.6 million total viewers — a record for a Showtime original series – -while Homeland rose 8 percent from last week’s all-time high to deliver a new personal best of 2.36 million viewers.

1. Greg S. says:

YAY!H5O!!!!!

2. Yesterday's Child says:

For me, this night’s ratings just shows how horrible it is for a Monday night show to make it. Especially at 10:00, each of this shows Castle, H50 and Revolution would be huge if they weren’t fighting one another every Monday night. Think want Monday line up would be if TBBT was in there. Seriously, Monday is getting nasty ( lets throw in Monday night football), it is almost becoming another Thursday night.

3. Daniela says:

Last night’s episode of “Gossip Girl” was a confusing joke. The CW ordered 10 episodes for the last season and then they decide to spend so much time on this awful Bart Bass storyline. So the old man died AGAIN.
    I hoped for one big last hurrah. I wanted the feeling back that I had when this show started. Instead Lily and Rufus seem beyond repair, friendships on this show mean nothing with all the fighting and backstabbing & the plot holes seem endless.
    “Gossip Girl” has to be about one of the BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENTS in TV history. Not even Georgina Sparks helps anymore.
    I guess numbers will be up again for the series finale next week. But the fans just deserved more. After a disappointing season five, the final season is just horrible. :-(

4. Cameron says:

Seriously, do Nielsen families know how to change the channel? Or are they an extraordinary dedicated fans to CBS? This is the same story day-in day-out. The older audiences don’t own a remote control and young people watch nothing but live reality shows. It’s only sad because we see this every single day.

• Isaac says:

Could it be that CBS gets good numbers because some of their shows are actually entertaining. As much as I love smart, well-written series, TV is about entertainment. To me a show that can make me laugh at corny jokes is just as worth watching as a show that shocks me week to week with excellent writing or breaks through the established TV formula.

5. Alienate says:

I watched the second half of “Take It All” last nite after I finished up The Voice on DVR. That ending was prolly the worst bit of humanity at an all time low, that I have ever witnessed.
    That bearded teacher laid his heart and soul on the line and that Black Beoootch took them, spit on them, and then reveled in her triumph. Howie Mandle and the producers of that travesty deserve some instant karma.
    How LOW can American audiences stoop to, if that is acceptable TV?

6. Jason says:

Good thing Dawn Ostroff isn’t running The CW anymore. With those Gossip Girl numbers on the rise, and next week’s expected big numbers for the finale, she’d likely say, “Let’s give it another year!!” Yeah, thanks again, Dawnie, for cancelling Everwood in favor of a tired, 10-year-old hokey 7th Heaven. How’d that work out for ya? It’s enough to land a sane fan in the Ostroff Clinic.

7. Steph says:

The Big Bang Theory repeat was funny and I’m glad Homeland did well. It was one of the better episodes in a while.

8. godzilla's foil says:

Not enough people are watching Homeland and Dexter. Many too many are watching those craptastic broke girls.

• Doug-H says:

don’t forget that Showtime shows cost money and are repeated often so subscribers don’t have to watch live… those numbers are great for SHO that doesn’t have as many homes hooked up… Also all are available On Demand or online for those who choose to watch that way..

9. Jared says:

I don’t see the Gossip Girl series finale doing much for the CW next week. Talk about a show past its prime.

10. TT says:

I agree..90210 has continued to beat Gossip Girl for the past 2 seasons with not even a fraction of the promotion. That’s says a lot about this show. Not sure it even warranted a farewell season considering it can’t even get 1 million viewers per episode.

11. Britta Unfiltered says:

So it sounds like the finales of Dexter and Homeland this Sunday should break even more records. I’m happy for them. For Homeland, after carefully studying the title of the episode, the preview, and the events of the season so far, I am pretty sure I have it mostly figured out what’s going to happen on the finale or at least have some good guesses. If I am right, things are going to get super crazy and end a little tragically. I’m really bad at guessing plot twists though, so we’ll see.

12. Hawaii Five-0!!!!!!!!!!

13. Radha says:

I’m irritated because it’s unfair to preempt the CBS shows in Houston, but continue to show them everywhere else. Where am I supposed to find the repeats of 2 Broke Girls now? Ugh.

14. mia says:

There were TWO episodes of 2 Broke Girls? Damn pvr!