Grey's Anatomy Boss Shonda Rhimes Breaks Silence on Katherine Heigl Kerfuffle: 'It Stung'

Get More: Controversy, News

image004Those rumors about Katherine Heigl possibly returning to Grey’s Anatomy for a brief arc? Don’t hold your breath.

In Sunday’s installment of Oprah’s Next Chapter (9/8c, OWN), Oprah Winfrey asks Grey’s creator Shonda Rhimes about Heigl’s controversial decision in 2008 to remove her name from Emmy consideration because she did not feel she was “given the material to warrant a nomination.”

“On some level it stung and on some level I was not surprised,” Rhimes tells the Big O, adding, “When people show you who they are, believe them. I carry that [mantra] with me a lot. It has served me well.”

RELATED | Justin Bruening Joins Grey’s Anatomy as [Spoiler]

For the record, Heigl apologized for the outburst in a 2010 Entertainment Weekly cover story (penned by yours truly). “At the time I thought I was doing the right thing,” she told me. “And I wanted to be clear that I wasn’t snubbing the Emmys. The night I won [in 2007] was the highlight of my career. I just was afraid that if I said, ‘No comment,’ it was going to come off like I couldn’t be bothered to [enter the race]. But really, I could have more gracefully said that without going into a private work matter. It was between me and the writers. I ambushed them, and it wasn’t very nice or fair.”

RELATED | Grey’s Spoiler: Find Out When Mer Tells Cristina About the Baby!

Press PLAY below for a sneak peek at the chat, which mostly focuses on Rhimes’ sophomore hit Scandal (hence the presence of the show’s leading lady, Kerry Washington).

Loading video...

Comments (163)

• Not following the last paragraph.

Comment by Laquisha Yo – December 7, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • PLEASE PLEASE BRING KATHERINE HEIGL BACK, she was the best actor GA had and she made it sooo good, and some of those new interns are such TERRIBLE actors it’s embarrassing. I love love loved Izzie, she was by far my favorite and most loved character, I remain and steadfast GA fan for life, but Izzie was so wonderful and I would be soooo happy if she came back!!!!

Comment by Diana – May 15, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If you want to Izzie (KH) comes back to Greys, ask @TonyTphelan or @ShondaRhimes for it. They have to see that we still remember her

Comment by Dane Williams – June 18, 2013 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would really want katherine heigl back, be sorely missed this season making gray `s anatomy ….

Comment by Tininha Roberta – July 1, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heigl got so much crap for her comments, but that season of Grey’s was abysmal. She was speaking the truth.

Comment by B – December 7, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by Kendal Walworth – December 7, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree also. And, its not like others haven’t made comments about the writing. Ellen P. and Patrick D. have also.

Comment by Karri – December 7, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I didn’t know Ellen and Patrick made comments about the writing.

Comment by Ed – December 7, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Right? Just recently there was interview with Patrick where he didn’t sound thrilled with the writing of the last few years. But no one called him out on that

Comment by Jessica – December 7, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Totally different. While both Dempsey and Pompeo (plus many others in both the GA, and PPP cast) have made comments about the writing of their characters, NONE have said it is not worthy a nomination for an award. In fact, both Ellen P and Patrick Dempsey have also made many comments on how much they appreciate Shonda Rhimes, the writers of GA and the opportunity just to work on a show so loved by fans. The cast in some ways have not always agree with SLs, but have not taken direct shots at the writers themselves. Even Heigl admitted to being in error over it. Also they way she cut out of the show was tacky in my opinion as she said she had planned to return and then justs bailed on her contract and the fans who loved her SL. This is not a first for Heigl who also notoriously ticked off Judd Apatow and cast of Knocked Up after making snarky remarks about the writing for “women” in the movie to Vanity Fair. Both Apatow and Seth Rogen said they were both shocked and hurt by the comments. Hopefully she has learned the difference between not necessarily agreeing with a SL, and making comments directed at writers, producers and directors who haver in part, helped make her who she is today.

Comment by Annie – December 7, 2012 12:50 PM PDT
    • THIS. ^^

Comment by Annie – December 7, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely. The “Izzie Saves a Deer” storyline was like they wanted to start that season by giving their Emmy winner the middle finger and it only sank from there.

Comment by Brooke – December 7, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So true. Kathryn is honest and real, and I have absolutely no problem with that.

Comment by Brigette – December 8, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • True!

Comment by Lane – December 7, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So true, and it makes me upset that there was so much contention between Heigl and the press and Shonda, when she left Grey’s midseason. But now Shonda just lets people go without press for whatever reason. Like I’m pretty sure Leigh left for some of the same reasons as Heigl, to spend more time woith her kids. But Heigl was painted as ungrateful. Plus from what I remember Heigl was asked specifically why she did not enter herself by whatever website at the time, and she gave an answer. It’s not like she blasted the show and writers making a big deal about not submitting, she didn’t like do a press release or something about not entering, she just quietly didn’t submit.

Comment by Drewer – December 7, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except Heigl lied. She said she was taking time off for her kid, and then proceeded to shoot a movie, then another one etc.. (all crap btw). Some time later, she even admitted she had not spend enough time with her first daughter because of the movies (when she supposedly left the show specifically to be with her…).
        We have not seen Chyler Leigh in anything yet.

Comment by Liz – December 7, 2012 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We never saw Chyler Leigh in much of anything before Grey’s either, just saying

Comment by Jen – December 7, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • She’s had recurring or starring roles in TV series every year since 1999.

Comment by Erin – December 7, 2012 02:36 PM PDT
        • She was given leave from Grey’s to film Life As We Know It (which is why her character got fired and ran off the first time). Then she came back for a few episodes but left for maternity leave this time – from which she would never return.

Comment by Will – December 7, 2012 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You need to understand though that shooting a TV show is a completely different schedule than shooting movies. It’s possible that at the time she thought it would be less time consuming, but maybe it wasn’t. “Heigl lied.” Lied is a strong word. That’s just kind of funny to me.

Comment by Brigette – December 8, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Heigl has made a bit of a trend of bashing projects she’s involved in and I think that’s what hurt her rep more so than anything else. She talked trash about Grey’s (a show I think is total crap for the record) when a more tactful and graceful reply to that question might have been “I didn’t think I could top last year” or “I wanted to let someone else have a shot at it” like tons of actors and actresses have done before her. She then went on to talk trash about Knocked Up leading everyone involved in that picture to say they didn’t want to work with her again. On top of it, she’s proven to be a less than stellar return on investment according to Forbes (in terms of her fee vs. box office on recent films). All of these things combined have helped to bolster the notion that she’s ungrateful. Chyler Leigh might have left for the same reason, but she didn’t give na ungrateful reason and she’s only said kind things about her experience.

Comment by Lindsay – December 7, 2012 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Who from Knocked Up proclaimed that they “never wanted to work with her again?” This is the first I’ve heard that, and it doesn’t sound like something Judd Apatow would say about anyone.

Comment by Brigette – December 8, 2012 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Truth.

Comment by Dick Whitman – December 7, 2012 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heigl could keep things professional and not complain about Shonda, IN public. Okay?

Comment by Nancy – December 7, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed x1000.

Comment by nicole – December 7, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was – and all the hubub was about Heigl being honest, and wanting to give her friends and castmates a chance to shine. Rimes can pout all she likes, but there is only a very occasioal streak of writing and performance on Grey’s that warrent emmy consideration, and Izzie’s arc for the rest of her time there was very much the opposite of that.

Comment by Temperence – December 7, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. Even the media said it was crap, but of course once she made that statement everyone shut up pretty quickly. And if she hadn’t pulled her name from the nominations, there would have just been complaining about how she didn’t deserve it

Comment by Annie – December 7, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • agreed!

Comment by Diana – May 15, 2013 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dont blame her. in s5, Izzie’s just a crazy woman who had sex with a ghost. well, in Greys, any crazy antics could happen.. Now we just have to wait for alien invasion storyline.

Comment by Adwina Oltariani (@Cassie4more) – December 7, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ENOUGH with the ghost sex BS. She did NOT have sex with a ghost. There was no ghost. Ever.

Comment by Annie – December 7, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So imaging having sex with the cancer-induced hallucination of your former fiancee is better? Anyway you slice it, that story line was ridiculous.

Comment by Jacob – December 7, 2012 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, it is better, because a ghost is sci-fi territory, which is fine for a sci-fi show but not for a straight drama. The hallucination of Denny was a symptom of a serious illness. It’s that not difficult to understand, for most people, anyway.

Comment by Alex – December 7, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree with you. People should see the difference.

Comment by Nana – December 7, 2012 11:19 PM PDT
      • I think we get that….however what would you call the folks Mer was chatting with in the OR that happy day. You know…the bomb squad guy, Denny, Doc the dog, Ellis Gray? Not ghosts?? Never say never with Shonda.

Comment by Cindy – December 7, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • THANK YOU. I am so sick of ignoramuses claiming that Denny was a ghost. A hallucination is very different.

Comment by Alex – December 7, 2012 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda being an absolute bitch as usual.

Comment by Mark – December 7, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To be fair, the material Izzy was given in season 4 was pretty horrid. You know my motto, “If someone writes you performing surgery on a deer, maybe it’s time to go.”

Comment by Josh – December 7, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yeah – writers literally destroyed a perfectly good (Emmy winning) character from the series by making her do things out of character like sleeping with best guy friend (cringe-worthy still!) and if the actor complains, “it stings” ?

I tell you what stings Shonda! stupid deaths, unkept promises (Happy Slexie future?), Alex still without a proper girlfriend!

Comment by Raver – December 7, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know she gets a lot of criticism for some of the things she says, and maybe some of it is justified, but she’s honest. Maybe not tactful, but the truth isn’t always what you want to hear. The writing sucked that year (and has significantly declined every since).

Comment by Kristina – December 7, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She should be professional and talk to Shonda about her character instead making a statement to the public bashing the writers

Comment by Whitney Danielle Pyant – December 8, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seems to me if you bit the hand that feeds you you should not assume they are going to ask you back for more. KH has burnt more bridges than she has built. Hence do you see her much anymore?

Comment by holly – December 7, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • may be because of the OBVIOUS reasons that she is married with two very young kids – she wants to take some time off or keep a lighter schedule?? DUH!

Comment by Raver – December 7, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No a lot of people don’t want to work with Heigl anymore.

Comment by Whitney Danielle Pyant – December 8, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s BS Meryl Streep had four kids, Natalie Portman has one, and so many actresses have kids and still work. And you know why they work? Its because they don’t talk smack about people that hire them. They sound grateful and sound professional. That’s why some of these working mothers are still working and have Oscars.

Comment by An – December 8, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Like her or loathe her Heigl has had two movies out in the past 12 months: New Year’s Eve and One For The Money. Checking IMDB she has another one out in the Spring with De Niro, Diane Keaton et al and an animation she is voicing. I believe she hasnt been around too much lately because she adopted another baby girl earlier in the year and has taken the year off. If I recall the reason she wanted to leave Grey’s was to spend more time with her other daughter was a baby at that time. Seems like she has been true to her word.

Comment by Richard – December 7, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • When she left she said she wanted to work less and spend more time with her family and people called her a liar. She’s done that and recently adopted a second child and people are still bitching about her years later. Haters are gonna hate no matter what she does.

Comment by Amanda – December 7, 2012 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • THIS!

Comment by Ed – December 7, 2012 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That and the press, in a slow phase, simply jumped on this for ratings. It was mostly a manufactured issue perpentuated by gullible and rather distasteful people (mostly jealous as far as I can determine from their rabid and nonsensical commentary).

Comment by Temperence – December 7, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She’s the living equivalent of ‘damned if she does/damned if she doesn’t.’ There were even some fans complaining that she adopted (“Oh she’s trying to make herself look better?”) But those same people also complained about Meredith and Derek adopting so I think they might have just had issues

Comment by Liz – December 7, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. Everyone sides with KH only because she is the actress and it’s cooler to judge the showrunner for being mad at someone who did that to her. People are really immature sometimes.

Comment by Anne – December 7, 2012 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh god, yeah. You’re so right. And I hate how everyone says, “Shonda should put her pride aside” and blah blah blah. We should see things from Shonda’s eyes, a little. If someone did you that would you want to take him back? Only because you want Izzie back to the show doesn’t mean that you should say that for Shonda.

Comment by Nancy – December 7, 2012 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I used to be a super-crazy mad fan of the show, so I followed what Shonda said just as closely as Katherine, and I noticed that Shonda would often say one thing about the show, then do a 180 with the characters. She seemed way too influenced by what the critics said, which always annoyed me. I find myself siding with Katherine because she seems like a more secure, REAL person than Shonda does, so if one of them is fibbing…who is it? That’s just where I’m coming from.

Comment by Brigette – December 8, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda’s full of crap. If Katherine wanted back on, she’d jump at the chance. Why do you think she’s never killed Izzy off?

Comment by Lana – December 7, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But Katherine has said multiple times in interviews that she really wants back on the show…

Comment by SB – December 7, 2012 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe she didnt just kill her chsracter off For the fans

Comment by A – December 8, 2012 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Breaks her silence” – hardly. She talks about it whenever she needs some publicity for her show – which whatever people may say has got progressively worse since Heigl’s departure. Also I think it was Melissa George who upon leaving the show said something about Shonda is great until she doesn’t like you or need you any more.

Comment by Kelly – December 7, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also folks, there is a thing called being professional. If she had a problem with the material and told the writers. If the writer’s didn’t improve to ‘your’ standard then tell Shonda what you’re going to do. Don’t just announce you’re taking your name out of consideration. Come on . . . Why is Shonda a bitch? Does she not have a right to give her side of things and her reactions?

With that said, I don’t watch the show. It was always to soapy . . . I love Scandal, it’s soapy, but with a bit more of an edge. Just sayin’.

Comment by K. Haley – December 7, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree 100%. There is a way to handle things in a professional way. That’s all. This totally downgraded Heigl in my eyes. It was very tacky, but I love Shonda and Scandal (which keeps getting better.)

Comment by Teeny Bikini – December 7, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree

Comment by Nancy – December 7, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Izzie and George were totally destroyied as characters between ending of season 3 and season 5, and what about that awful scene where everyone started to laugh at George’s funeral? That was a scene that has given sh*t to everyone who had lost a dearly one. Screw you Shonda

Comment by Andrea – December 7, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually at the moment during George’s funeral where Izzie started to laugh was just keeping the character real, she admitted herself back in Season 2 (?) where she said she isn’t like normal girls and the one thing she states is that “she laughs at funerals” to cope.

Comment by Ed – December 7, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. Izzie said that in Season 2. But I agreed about Shonda ruined Izzie and George’s relationship in Season 4, and George was ignored like a character in Season 5. Shonda repeated the same thing with other beloved characters like Sloan and Lexie.

Comment by Fernanda – December 7, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously? That just shows you aren’t a true Grey’s fan. Back in season 2 Izzie said she laughed in funerals. And also, it was a really intense and emotional scene with people dealing with loss their own way. That’s how they dealt. It’s just one of the most emotional and heart breaking (with its own way) scene of GA. Also, learn spelling.

Comment by Evangeline – December 7, 2012 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve laughed at two funerals in the past year, of loved ones who were very close to me. I think they’d rather I laugh than cry!

Comment by Alex – December 7, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The writing was horrible, Katherine was right

Comment by Sarah – December 7, 2012 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just wish they’d bring back Izzie at least once before the end of the show. I mean, it’s been almost 3 years since she left the show. GET OVER IT SHONDA! The only way to give Alex closure would be to bring Izzie back.

Comment by Jerm – December 7, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ht

Comment by Kristi Zellmer (@KristiZellmer) – December 7, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No? He could have a closure by finding a girl who’s not crazy(Ava), bitch(Izzie,Reed,Lucy) or super needy(Morgan). A closure is not to bring a heartbreak for him, AGAIN. It’s an understadment if you want Izzie back with Alex, but don’t use lame excuses like that. I mean, come on. That’s just stupid.

Comment by Molly – December 9, 2012 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, I’m sure Kerry Washington was an active participant in other parts of the discussion, but watching her just sit there and nod approvingly was really funny.

Comment by madhatter360 – December 7, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • this

Comment by amanda – December 7, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That to me seems unprofessional. If they were going to talk a little about Grey’s/behind the scenes stuff of that show, there was no reason for Kerry to be sitting there. It’s like a little kid listening to two adults talk about something that they know nothing about

Comment by Jessica – December 7, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KH has come out publicly saying she would go back to ga. Shonda shot her down. The only reason izzie wasn’t killed is because she didn’t show up for her last two days of filming. They changed the story line completely. Show is much better without her.

Comment by Sam Everett – December 7, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is just not true. There was never any plan for her to leave it just happened that way. She had taken some time for maternity leave due to bond with her daughter. Heigl then asked to leave because she felt she needed more time. Fair enough. But it is clear Shonda/ABC didnt like that. Heigl didnt work for about a year after leaving Grey’s to be with her family. She has even moved out of LA so her kids can have a more normal life.

Comment by Penny – December 7, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really, Sam? “Show is much better without her.” I’m sorry but no. The show has been horrible. And I’m not saying the show is worse BECAUSE she is gone, it just is. It was even before she left, so your comment is inaccurate.

Comment by Dick Whitman – December 7, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone can have an opinion and Sam expressed his/hers. And I agree.

Comment by Nancy – December 7, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. GA much better without KH. She’s ungrateful. PD, EP, and CW all have said how grateful they are for a job. When you have an issue with the people you work with, don’t go around telling everyone in the world and expect to be kept around. GA wasn’t the only place she complained about. She badmouthed Knocked Up too, Leslie Mann even came out and said you should never bite the hand that feeds you. Of course, she’s married to Judd Apatow, so she’s bound to take his side.
        In any case, I like Grey’s now. Sad about Chyler and Eric Dane leaving but the show is fine without her. I would’ve loved to have seen her come back, just so Shonda can kill her off. BTW, she also made the list of overpaid actors in Hollywood. Apparently her movies have tanked lately. Maybe she’ll do better in her next movie since she’s not headlining, it’s an ensemble.

Comment by ace – December 7, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why was Kerry, Shonda’s new pet there listening talk about Grey’s and stuff? lol
    Also love what Katie said back than, I mean seriously what kind of writer wrote a surgeon performing on a deer? I am glad when actors speak the truth and how they are feeling, unlike some newbies who kiss her ass. Too bad Shonda can never take bad critism.

Comment by Tia – December 7, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Sam. GA is a better show without KH. Alex had closure, he told her to leave and never to never come back. Get over it people. Her movies are absolute crap.

Comment by cdog – December 7, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, April is oh so compelling. GA is so much better now for sure /sarcasm.

Comment by Erin – December 7, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • April may not be compelling, not all characters are, but SD is a much better actor than KH will ever be.

Comment by cdog – December 7, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • SD at least is a nice person. Doesn’t complain.

Comment by Nancy – December 7, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The Emmy on KH’s house begs to differ.

Comment by Dick Whitman – December 7, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I prefer April than Izzie, like I prefer SD than KH. Unlike KH, SH never showed ungratefulness. Also, I find myself enjoying the show more than back then with Izzie and Burke. For George, though, I can’t say the same. Georgie will be always a lovely, amazing character. oH, George…

Comment by Mariah – December 12, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Izzie and will always hope on some level she’d return. But the show has moved on so much past that. Shonda won’t have KH back unless Grey’s ratings are on a steady decline and she needs a good story during sweeps [ENTER IZZIE] that’s my opinion anyway. I hated the way the whole Katherine vs Shonda thing went down on both parties.

Comment by Ed – December 7, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Shonda would get over her ego and realize it would be a great thing to have Izzie come back, even for ONE episode to give closure and be fun for long-time fans at SOME point before the series ends, maybe next season – to pay tribute to people have been with the show since the beginning – but I’d be shocked if she did. She’s a woman with a chip on her shoulder for sure.

Comment by AW – December 7, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great thing for the fans but for Shonda things wouldn’t be good. Would you ever take back someone who acted like this to you? Shonda is NOT a machine. She has feelings and pride too. Before you comment on what someone does wrong, think about what you would have done in her place. Just because you want KH back on the show, doesn’t mean that it is necessarily a good idea. Think about the people she hurt (even if she was right about the writing, that doesn’t mean KH should act unprofessionally ). Duh!

Comment by Lexie Grey – December 8, 2012 11:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • excuse me! but izzie was always a hateful character and I am glad she is gone from the show. Heigl didn’t respect the people on the show ever and was very ungrateful. She thinks she is this great romantic comedy actress when in fact she is terrible and always plays the same type of role! It is so annoying!

Comment by so – December 7, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I liked Izzie in seasons 1,2,3,4,5 but in 6 she was awful. And honestly, I don’t wnat KH back. Ugh

Comment by Nancy – December 7, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Her character started to get assassinated when she had an affair with George and then went downhill after that. IMO the only thing that saved her in S5 were her interactions with Cristina/her relationship with Alex

Comment by Jessica – December 7, 2012 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She just should have submitted her best episode and dealt with the writers out of the public eye. At the time it seemed to me like she assumed because she won the previous year she thought she’d automatically be nominated the next. Although she apologized with the piece of fluff that Ausiello wrote I didn’t find it the least bit sincere. It seemed like her PR people were trying to do damage control from that point on. In her promotion for her latest movie she brought Grey’s up in almost every interview and has publicly stated she’d love to come back to Grey’s for a few episodes. Not a fan of Rhimes, but I wouldn’t take her back either mainly because she left them hanging in her last season and they didn’t know if/when she would show up for work.

Comment by Angela – December 7, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually for her latest movie she didnt bring it up. I was at the press junket for the small media site I work for. She was asked if she would like to return – she said she would be happy to go back for a few episodes / an arc for closure for her character. Then every news stations jumped on it – everyone was asking her at the junket and at the premiere closely after. She was on maternity leave they knew exactly where she was. Then when that time ended they agreed on a departure. The only mystery was it took a few days to agree things so the press were speculating wildly.

Comment by Miriam – December 7, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katherine has gotten such a bad wrap for being honest. Yes, maybe there was a better way – better phrasing – for her to go about it, but she apologized and acknowledges her behavior. Show runners and writers can be such babies/divas about these things (taking any sort of criticism), too… and Shonda in no way handled issues concerning Isaiah Washington, TR Knight, and the abrupt oustings of both Brooke Smith and Melissa George well at all.

Comment by marge – December 7, 2012 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I juts think it is a shame, Izzie was such a crucial character on the show for five seasons(I don’t count the 6th when they ruined her character), I understand her exit was not the most graceful and IMO out of character, but it’d be wrong to never give the fans any real closure, because honestly Heigl was not wrong, her material in season 5+6 was unrealistic and not good. Shonda, grow up and bring izzie back for even an episode.

Comment by Mike – December 7, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katherine Heigl single handily ruined her career after that whole Greys Anatomy outburst. She comes off extremely unlikable and woman don’t wanna see her in any of those horrible romcoms she had to resort to. looking back she should have just took the nomination and say thank you. Whether the actual material warranted a nomination or not.

Comment by Jared – December 7, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly! Before that outburst I thought she was likable enough, but after that I thought she was a bratty, self-important egomaniac – and it’s probably always going to be that way. There are plenty of actresses to replace her and would be grateful for her opportunities.

Comment by Teeny Bikini – December 7, 2012 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I am afraid you are misinformed. After that outburst she went on to earn $12M -15M a movie. Hardly ruining your career. The Emmy story had nothing to do with nominations. This was the initial phase where you just choose if you want to submit or not. Most actors/actresses dont even bother (extras, small parts etc) unless – unless they have a major role. You dont have to submit. It is something done by choice. Only then after all the submissions are made is a shortlist for nominations revealed. Heigl simply chose not to enter. People were just surprised because she won the previous year. Then she remarked why when asked and probably regrets being so honest. I think she was 100% right, but she should have kept it to herself. However, it is not something to vilify her for. It amazes me what some actors get away with from drugs and drinks to assault and abuse – and get 1/100th the abuse she has taken.

Comment by Steven – December 7, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t agree with a thing you’ve said. emmy’s like a dog with a bone – once it picks a winner, it acts like a dog with a bone, renominting and reawarding people even if their subsequent work is rotten. I have every respect for Heigl, and her choices to let her friends shine.

Comment by Temperence – December 7, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • hated her from her roswell days. goooooooooooooood riddance.

Comment by kho-hater – December 7, 2012 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, the writers were not at their best in s4 and s5, but that’s not an excuse for being totally unprofessional.

Comment by sara – December 7, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t hold your breath waiting for Shonda to grow up! Won’t happen anytime soon.

Comment by Cindy – December 7, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shonda AND Kathrine Heigl both acted immature.

Comment by Norah – December 8, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, why is Shonda the bitch here? I think both shouldn’t say things they said, but you guys shouldn’t balme it all on Shonda. I mean, come on, I know you love the actress but you have to see things from Shonda’s eyes a little. Wouldn’t it hurt to hear people complain about your writing the whole time? One of the actresses playing on the show? Plus, KH could keep things professional, take the nomination and leave… You guys are being unfair now.

Comment by Nancy – December 7, 2012 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I honestly dont think it stung Shonda. Because if it did Alex would be with someone now. I mean Chyler left to be with family more but said she wanted to comeback later. She was killed off. The same with Mark. It seems that if you want to leave the show you are killed off. George was killed off. The only two that havent been killed off that left were katherine and issiah. Honestly. Yes. Katherine should have been more professional but Shonda should act like its a betrayal. I dont think the writing was great that season at ALL. I think even Shonda knows it. I think she just didnt like being called out on it. But if you dont give your actors good material theyre not going to think its worthy of a nomination.

Comment by A. – December 7, 2012 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She knows that the writing wasn’t really good. But, come on, KH should keep things professional, you know? Anyway, I don’t care what they say about each other I just watch GA.

Comment by Maya – December 7, 2012 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Heigl did say the comment was impromptu and a mistake, but it’s not like she wasn’t telling the truth. And we all know from years of observation that Rimes is a rather stunning liar, which is why the network stepped in and essentially eliminated her contact with the press, placing others in that role. Shonda is generally a rolling press disaster.

Comment by Temperence – December 7, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep and if you look at how Burke and Izzie left compared to George, Mark, and Lexie, you notice that Burke and Izzie basically got dragged through the mud and were completely stripped of any redeeming qualities at all. Whereas Lexie, Mark, and George all left with their characters being well-remembered and liked. Now I would never ever want Washington back because he’s an ass and George basically became invisible before he was killed off, but you can tell which actors left on good terms and which didn’t.

Comment by Liz – December 7, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To me two actors from the early seasons totally started “believing the kool aid” (a quote from Sandra Oh in a Marie Claire article about IW)… Heigl and Isaiah Washjnhton. IMO they got caught up in their own hype.
    That’s why they’re no longer on the show and not missed by me.

Comment by Steph – December 7, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 4 of Grey’s was a little rocky, but that didn’t give Hiegel the right to complain in public as she did. An acceptable answer would have been, “I won last year, so I wanted to allow someone else the chance to win this year,” which would have answered the question without dragging the writers into it. Grey’s has a large number of people who would qualify in the Supporting Actress category, so a “spread the wealth” response would have been perfectly fine for the press no matter what her real reasons were. And it must also be said that Hiegel hasn’t acted with good writing since she left Grey’s, anyway.

Comment by Jake L – December 7, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That sounds extremely condescending. If she would’ve said that the outrage would’ve been even worse!

I can’t believe people hate her or find her unlikeable for telling the TRUTH. Goes to tell how a lot of people can’t handle it (looking at you Shonda).

Comment by Dick Whitman – December 7, 2012 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She could have spoke to the writers privately. That way no one would hurt.

Comment by A – December 7, 2012 11:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How do you know she didn’t? She could have had countless talks with them and then been frustrated and lashed out. It happens. If you aren’t there how do you know?
          I personally loved KH and her character. I felt like Izzy was given an injustice ending. And yes I feel like GA has gone down through the years and the writers must know they aren’t doing their best work. Where is the humor GA had in the early seasons. Now it is all drama drama drama.

Comment by Lola – May 15, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Katherine Heigl! I don’t care what anyone says.

Comment by brandon – December 7, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shonda Rhimes is a condescending, two faced, lying bitch, and once Grey’s ends, she won’t ever have it as good again. Private Practice suffered without Grey’s, and Scandal will too when it doesn’t have Grey’s to lead it in. Nobody can say anything about her but she can say what she wants. Although, Patrick Dempsey sure has voiced a less than positive opinion about things regarding the show and were people all over his back? No. Why? Because he’s the leading man, “McDreamy.” That’s alright.

Comment by Olivia – December 7, 2012 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Plus he’s a dude. It’s okay for the poor male actors to complain about writing/long hours but god forbid one of the female actresses goes and complains. She’s seen as “ungrateful” or a “bitch”

Comment by Liz – December 7, 2012 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Patrick Dempsey is ALWAYS gracious! Enough said.

Comment by Steph – December 7, 2012 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Which is why he was saying that he was done after season 7, I believe? That raise didn’t hurt though, right?

Comment by Jessica – December 7, 2012 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My hope is that someday before the show ends, both Katherine Heigl and Isiah Washington are brought back to bring closure to their characters and their stories

Comment by Anthony – December 7, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It stung when George had to leave…

Comment by Hojana – December 7, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For unfortunate reasons, too many of the posts here have referred to Shonda Rhimes as a “bitch”. How many of you calling her that even know her? There are comments regarding Katherine Heigl that voice dislike and/or disapproval of the actress and her actions, but none of them went as low or disrespectful that those towards Shonda Rhimes. So in this feud between two accomplished women, what makes one a “bitch” and the other not?

Comment by Sedrick Roeshard Gilbert – December 7, 2012 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I’ve seen Heigl referred to as a “bitch” many, many times. But I get your point

Comment by Jen – December 7, 2012 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Heigl’s been called a “bitch” all over the internet over the years. Shonda isn’t the only one being blasted with that name. But the world IS used because they’re both accomplished women, your point there is correct.

Comment by Brooke – December 7, 2012 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Despite all the controversy, I wish Shonda would put her pride aside by bringing Izzie back. What happened to the alleged closure her and Alex would have had in S7? I think she owes it to her fans to at least give them that comfort, especially since Katherine has expressed interest in returning. Shonda can try her hardest to pair Alex with someone else, but he’ll never be as happy as he was with Izzie.

Comment by WillIam – December 7, 2012 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WORD!^

Comment by N – December 8, 2012 03:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah, Izzie and Alex were a horrible pairing.

Comment by Lexie Grey – December 8, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Worse than Izzie/George, Lexie/Alex, or Jackson/Lexie?

Comment by William – December 9, 2012 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree with Lexie Grey (lol name). Izzie/Alex is worse than Jo/Alex and that says something.

Comment by A – December 9, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I disagree .. Alex and Izzie were/are a great pairing. It was pretty much estblished from season 1 that they are going to end up together. Had KH stayed, may be they would have been one of the staple couples like MerDer and Calzona. They were good for eachother.

Comment by Raver – December 9, 2012 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • everyone seem’s to forget, izzie sent divorce paper’s, he signed them, sent them back end of marriage closure to that SL IMO. Life move’s on so can we all just move on with this like now.
      Show is way better without her snarkiness.

Comment by heather (@auzzigrey) – December 9, 2012 07:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah. I can’t understand why people want her back. The bitch was a hateful character.

Comment by Mariah – December 12, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so aside from pointing fingers and playing she said/ she said, that makes it pretty definitive for me that izzie will not be coming back unless some magical relationship fairy comes and sprinkles fairy dust on both of them.

Comment by cjeffery7 – December 7, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heigl bashed ROSELL, GREY’S, and KNOCKED UP. She is an ingrate whose career has hit a brick wall. I will agree that Grey’s was horrid then but she shouldn’t have taken the low road. As for Rhimes, I don’t think she’s very likeable either

Comment by Coolio Jackson – December 7, 2012 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not a big KH fan and think she should not bash her bosses and projects but have to admit that I’ve always found SR responses and comments to be on the level of KH and the writing for grey’s to be awful the last few seasons

Comment by Patti – December 7, 2012 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katherine Heigl has always been an entitled, self absorbed, bitch. She allegedly slept her way into more screen time with Roswell, bashed Knocked Up which made her relevant for being misogynistic (only to go on to produce & star in the way more sexist Ugly Truth) and followed that up by biting the hand that fed her with Grey’s.

And her movies that she went on to do afterwards have TANKED (lol look at the box office for One for the Money–it’s not pretty.) Good riddance and enjoy irrelevancy.

Comment by kho-hater – December 7, 2012 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is no one talking about how OLD Oprah looks. Poor thing! She doesn’t have to be in front of a camera everyday so she has kind of let herself go. I sure wish she was back on every afternoon again. I miss her!

Comment by Nic – December 7, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just be greatful that Grey’s has lasted this LONG!

Comment by Alex – December 7, 2012 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People should grow up. You shouldn’t side with the actress, only because you want her back on the show. When someone (KH) “bites the hand that feeds” she shouldn’t expect for more feeding. Shonda of course won’t have her back, I wouldn’t either. How can you trust someone after an event like this? How would Shonda know that KH wouldn’t bash the show again? After all, after she left, She commented like that on her movies making people not wanting to work with her again.

Comment by A – December 7, 2012 11:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that there is this presumption that she would have even been nominated if she hadn’t pulled herself out of the running. It isn’t like she had been nominated and pulled herself off the ballot, she just didn’t submit herself for consideration. The reason she did this is probably because she knew she wouldn’t get nominated. even if she had won the year before. The material was what it was, and it isn’t like she was wrong in saying that it wasn’t nomination-worthy, but still the way she went about it was shady. She was trying to get ahead of the story. Instead of the story being that she had put herself up to be nominated and wasn’t good enough, she tried to make the story that she didn’t want to be nominated. This backfired on her after she made her comments.
    While I can appreciate that she feels the need to be honest, she needs to learn not to burn bridges by running her mouth about her co-workers.

Comment by Sara – December 7, 2012 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you. You said this so much better than I did in an earlier post. The idea of presumption is what bothered me more than the actual.

Comment by sr – December 12, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agreed with Katherine Heigl that the material on Grey’s was not the best that year and I agreed with her that “Knocked Up” was a little sexist – however, KH forgot the cardinal rule: Don’t bite the hand that feeds you. Grey’s put her on the map, and Knocked Up put her on the bigger map.

Comment by fiyero – December 8, 2012 02:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The obsession with Heigl’s outspokenness is so freakin’ sexist. Get over it already.

Comment by rebecca – December 8, 2012 03:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Heigl was right. The writing that season sucked big time, no way can you deny that? Come on they made her operate on a dear first and then made a debacle out of her friendship with George. Instead of giving her character the chance to grow, they dragged her character through mud and crap. Even Meredith’s storyline was annoying. I remember half her dialogues started that season with either I drowned or Derek wants me to. To add to that if Heigl had issues with being outspoken, Shonda Rhimes has issues with pride. Plus Heigl said she wanted to spend more time with her family and she did. She adopted another daughter. Adoption’s a long process so I don’t agree that she was lying about her reason of departure. In all of this ego/pride/outspokenness issues we will probably never get a chance to see closure to her character which is a part of the original five interns and I hate that.

Comment by Renee – December 8, 2012 04:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I agree that Heigl wasn’t lying, the actress acted rudely and unprofessionally. She should speak to the writers privately about the writing. And, would you take back someone if they did a thing like that to you?

Comment by Norah – December 8, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What exactly did she do? And you seriously think the writers give a flying fig about what the actors want or think regarding the scripts? I can tell my manager until I’m blue in the face what I want but that doesn’t mean she’s going to do anything. Katherine was asked why she withdrew her name from emmy consideration and she told the reporter why. Shonda overreacted because she’s Queen Shonda and nobody is allowed to criticize her shows letalone state that the writing sucks. Remember Off the Map?

Comment by Mary – December 9, 2012 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, KH bashes every movie/show she’s in. It’s an understandment that nobody wants to take her :/

Comment by Mariah – December 12, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My God, I am tired of this story! if you go back and LOOK at the flippin video what she said was a simple little statement, there was no malice intended, she made a simple truthful statement, it wasn’t even a real interview, just some guy with an awkward camera who didn’t even appear serious. Shonda on the other hand lives for malice. This was her way of getting back at Heigl for supporting TR Knight against Isaiah Washington’s BS (another story I am SO OVER). Heigl is a good actress, and Shonda is a great writer and producer. The end.

Comment by David – December 8, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you. And yes, anyone who watched those interviews with Heigl where she made such “rude” statements would immediately see that she was not being rude at all. People like to take a headline and run with it.

Comment by Brigette – December 8, 2012 07:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amidst all this drama i just hope nothing will happen to christina and owen

Comment by A – December 8, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @a – lol – you make the MOST sense! hahaha!! I too hope nothing (like the divorce) will happen to Cristina & Owen – baby step by baby step they are starting their way back to each other – their storyline is the most “life-like.” Cristina will need to be the one to make the first real step in telling Owen how she feels & that she wants to get back together with him. CAN’T WAIT!!! Well, we are actually ….. :-)

Comment by soxfan – December 8, 2012 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post