Friday Night Lights Movie Update: Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton Offer Differing Takes

taylors FNLMr. and Mrs. Coach don’t seem to be on same page regarding the rumored big-screen continuation of Friday Night Lights.

Kyle Chandler, who played Eric Taylor on the NBC drama, says he hasn’t read a script or discussed the potential project with anyone involved.

“My general attitude about Friday Night Lights is, it was a great movie with Billy Bob [Thorton, who starred in the original film] and it was a great TV show,” Chandler told MTV News Wednesday while promoting his most recent movie, Zero Dark Thirty. “They ended it at exactly the right time and in exactly the right way, as well.”

RELATEDFriday Night Lights Creator Accuses Mitt Romney of Plagiarism — Plus: A Few New Slogan Ideas

The actor’s take on the movie runs contrary to what Connie Britton – who played his on-screen wife, Tami — has said about the project.

In an interview with TVLine’s Michael Ausiello at this year’s Emmys, Britton jokingly suggested that the film might begin production in spring 2013 – but she has also repeatedly asserted that a second FNL movie is likely to happen.

“I know everybody is very serious about it. I know there’s a script,” the Nashville star told The Huffington Post Tuesday. “It’s one of those things that it would be so wonderful if it ended up coming together. If all the stars aligned, and more important, all the schedules.”

FNL executive producers Peter Berg and Jason Katims have been working behind the scenes to get the movie going for years; last summer, Berg confirmed that he and Katims were writing a movie script centered on Eric and Tami that would pick up after the series’ 2011 finale.

How do you feel about the prospect of a Friday Night Lights movie? Hit the comments!

1. reubendevries says:

More then likely one is being optimistic and one is being realistic… that’s all… and if you see how they both react in front of the media all you can say is they are both being true to how they see the world.

• Rita Englebreth says:

I would love to see the movie as a reunion theme. The original movie was not as good as the series. I love billy T. Just Kyle played the role better and more believeable. I would like to see where all the original cast are in the years since. I would love to see where the Tim R. story line goes and if Lylia came back what would happen. Where is smash and did he further his career? I enjoyed the show and I hope that they do a movie.

2. Anthony says:

One of my top 5 shows of all time. Part of me would love to see a movie continuation. Another agrees with Kyle Chandler in that the ending to the show was great.

• phil says:

The ending of the show was great. One of the best finales to a series ever. In terms of a movie continuation, I think we have to remember that everyone who worked on this show loved it and respected it. Peter Berg and Jason Katims wouldn’t make this movie if they didn’t think it was worth being made. It’s not going to be the second or third Transformers movie whose only purpose is to make money.

If they make a movie, it will be great. If they don’t make a movie, it’s because they know it wouldn’t live up to the high standard they set.

3. Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m just not sure how I feel about the idea of them doing a movie. That series holds a special place in my heart, but it does feel like it would be negating the finale they gave the show to try and revive it through a movie.

4. danny hubbard says:

Get on it… I’m only up to season 5 abducted can’t find it anywhere… I’m hooked on FNL… it’s a great show…

5. Allie says:

PLEASE DO A MOVIE!!! PLEASE!!!

6. Playhouse says:

I’m with Chandler on this. The show ended the story where it needed to.

• Murphy says:

Cosign completely. I love these characters but I will not go see a movie and take a chance it gets ruined. It ended perfectly.

7. Jack says:

How would they resolve the move to Philadelphia? It’s not the same if it’s set in Philly – different culture entirely. The show was great in part because of the insanity that accompanies small-town TX high school football.

• fiyero says:

That’s partly what I’m worried about, but also the reason that I think a movie could work – it would be a different story to tell than the ones we already saw. And, I think the Texas culture gave it a certain flavor, but the stories that occurred there (disability, infidelity, racism, abortion) could happen anywhere. I just have a lot of faith in the writers and producers – in all of the seasons of FNL, there was maybe ONE storyline that wasn’t great (sleeping with the TA).

8. A says:

Hmm. Zach Gilford said recently he didn’t know anything about the movie either/think there was a script. As much as I’d love to dive into this world again and spend more time with these characters, I am happy where they left it and it’s probably best it ended when/how it did.

9. Miffy says:

Kill off the coach and have Tami take over the team. Recast Graciebelle though. Her head was huge.

10. Martin says:

Hey if Arrested Development can come back, anything can.

11. Robin says:

This should happen…I love that show…and I never saw the first movie…nor do I want to after watching the show.

12. FNL-forever says:

FNL will always rank as one of if not maybe the greatest series I’ve ever seen on TV. I’m a super-freak fan so the more story and character plot I can get the better!!!
    Even if the movie is a fail…I’ll still love that I got to see those characters again.

13. FNLover says:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! an FNL movie would be the best thing EVER. Best TV show ever made.

14. Chris ilar says:

If this really happened everyone would love it and everyone would watch but i think this is honestly fake and untrue hopes are NOT up but im hoping

15. I would LOVE to see how the characters are doing – are Matt & Julie married yet, how are they handling the challenges of adult life, etc? What’s going on with Tim – i would absolutely love to see Lyla return and see them either already back together, or working towards getting back together. Their relationship was a favorite part of the series for me & i always felt like the writers left it open that they could one day reunite…

And of course i want to know what’s going on with one of the best, most realistic married couples I’ve ever seen! Eric & Tami will always be a great couple in my eyes. Their relationship was REAL – they had plenty of real, everyday struggles that many couples face & they didn’t shy away from showing that no relationship is perfect, you have to work to make a marriage successful!

There are loads more the writers could do with a movie script! And i for one will support the cast & crew in whatever decision is made.