Fringe Boss Reveals Title of Finale, Says Series Ender Is 'Massive... Really Big'

Fringe_S5trio_DWThe cast and producers of Fox’s Fringe gathered at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver on Saturday night to celebrate the Warner Bros. TV series’ 100th — and final — episode. And now we have a title for that ultimate hour.

“It is called ‘An Enemy of Fate,'” series boss J.H. Wyman shared with TVLine on the red carpet.

Episode 100 is the second of two hours airing on Friday, Jan. 18.

RELATED | Fringe Team Shares Scoop on Bald Peter, Olivia’s MIA Ring, Astrid’s ‘Moment’ and More

And while Wyman leading up to and throughout this final season has repeatedly stressed the emotional stakes for Peter, Olivia, Walter et al during these last 13 episodes, make no mistake — this show is going out with a literal bang as well.

“It’s definitely the biggest season finale we’ve ever had,” Wyman promised. “It’s the most expensive…. It’s massive, really big. I wanted to go out like, ‘Wow, how did they do that?'”

“I wanted to make sure I handled [the action element] and the emotions with equal import,” he added.

Fringe resumes its fifth and final run on Friday, Dec. 7 with this season’s eighth episode, “The Human Kind.” What do you think “An Enemy of Fate” means?

1. Liz says:

Enemy of fate….It’s not going to be a happy ending I guess…

2. tvguy says:

fringe sucks blows chunks,,,,,,watch 2 & 1/2 men

• jozzy says:

1 its one of the most successful modern sci fi shows 2 your comment doesn’t even make sense but i suppose i can give inbred people a break 3 ”2 & 1/2 men” isn’t even how you would say or write it you moronic subhuman idiot and btw that show is awful and made for hollow minded people as your self with no intelligence

• BTM says:

Angus T. Jones? Is that you?

• Dylan says:

Don’t quite see how the series can register as “one of the most successful modern sci-fi shows” as it’s been facing cancellation for the majority of its existence and can barely make three millions viewers now in its final season.

Fringe doesn’t have enough to make a stamp on pop culture such as series like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, LOST, Stargate, etc.

It will be a forgotten series in the future – perhaps remembered most for how it abandoned its the story and characters of its first three seasons and decided to start again with a new storyline, despite only just managing to be renewed.

A cautionary tale of what NOT to do while writing a serialized television series.

• Wornton says:

You sure sound very smart and all, but the fact of the matter is that many people hold the series very dear, and the reason is because it’s widely enough regarded as good.

Firefly wasn’t only fighting cancellation, it WAS cancelled after one season… Seems to have left quite a mark.

I hope Fringe’s example IS followed; i.e. please make things truly original as opposed to eccentric crime solvers and brain-soup “reality” TV.

• scott42444 says:

Look, I am as critical of Fringe as the next guy but I have to ask if you even understand how television ratings work. Between iTunes, DVD sales, time-shifting (Fringe is Top 10) and illegal downloads (Fringe was the 8th most illegally downloaded serial of 2012) judging Fringe’s pop-culture impact cannot be based on “ratings”. The producers and Fox understood that, which is why there were blatant Nissan and Sprint commercials in each episode. Star Trek was not a ratings juggernaut either, but there was nothing else like it and MUCH LESS to choose from on television and no internet streaming channels like Netflix. I do like the Star Trek comparison though, that took years before it became a pop-culture icon. Fringe will have legs. I love what the Science Channel is doing with the syndicated episodes. A couple of Serenity or X-Files type movies and it can be solidified in pop-culture.

• zzzzzzzz says:

Hate to tell you this “Dylan” by LOST, BSG, Star Trek, etc were all facing cancellation. They only found real love in the reruns. So get a freakin’ life. Since you are so smart on how to write, get your butt to Hollywood and let’s see what you’ve got!!!

• SerenityVerse says:

This is why we cant have nice things…

• Scott says:

Don’t feed the trolls, people…

• Temperence says:

LOL – a message from Bizarroworld!

• pilotfred says:

you don’t like the program OK, just one question, why then did you read about the title of the last episode? i for one don’t like sport!however i would never go on a sports website read something and then say it suck and blows chunk or did you mean it blow and then such chunks!whichever way around it does not sound very nice! is this something you enjoy doing?

• Fraa Orolo says:

Troll.

• bugs says:

it’s filth, ya chunk.

• Carly Wilson says:

TVGUY, It’s becos of ppl like you that good movies like Fringe are cut and stupid ones like Big Bang Theory survive.

Just saying.

3. Midori004 says:

Fringe ended for me when Peter disappeared. The same show didn’t come back that fall.

• pik says:

You speak the truth. It was replaced by a lousy imitation of the original. S5 has been a moderate improvement, but I’m not completely convinced about it yet.

• Midori004 says:

To me this season is a spinoff.

Season 4 should have had the original characters back, once that didn’t happen I stopped caring, but still watch out curiosity and boredom.

I’m really hoping at some point we get back to the other universe and they are the ones that saved us.

So far we are watching a season of a show that hasn’t bothered to explain why the Observers invaded in the first place. That’s really needed for me to care.

• jozzy says:

Okay interesting shallow minded opinion you obviously didn’t stop caring or you would have stopped watching the show can’t just bring everyone back or it gets repetitive and stale they evolved with new plots characters and amazing settings and yes genius they have explained why they invaded they sent the scientists back to make sure history was perfect and correct so that when they came back there wouldn’t be threats or irregularities for there invasion with the purpose of harnessing the planets resources and air quality because they ruined their future observer planet. p.s. your an idiot and your opinion is insync with that.

• Russ says:

Not true. I stopped caring about Glee a while ago but still watch it. I used to get so mad and pissed of at the direction they would take some of the characters, then I just stopped caring. Its actually made me like the show a little more as I’m not focusing on the bad storylines anymore, and having my negative energy towards the show over shadow the good storylines. But I don’t have this problem with Fringe.

• ShdwKnght says:

Never, ever call someone else an idiot if you yourself cannot differentiate between you’re and your or their and there. That alone has made all your points moot.

• weareallmirrors says:

@jozzy
            Really? I am ashamed you are calling yourself a Fringe-fan… Insulting like this. Why didn’t you just leave the insults out, maybe you would have even be listened to.
            Would you listen to or appreciate somebody who insults you the way you did with Midori004?

There was a big change in this 5th season compared to all previous ones. Where’s the other universe? Why does this season feel like a drag, so slow paced.

Except for the last two episodes I was pretty bored. Olivia is almost like she is not even present, whereas she was the centerpiece before.

Now she is almost on the same significance as Astrid. There was a lot of change and I am sad to see a lot of important elements go.

I am also kind of disappointed with this season, hopefully they can turn it around.

• Naomi says:

Everyone at the end of Season 4 was essentially the same as they were at the end of Season 3 (except they got on more with their counterparts). That was the whole point of the freaking season! And Walter explained in 4×19 why the observers invaded. They screwed up the planet so much in their time that they needed to come back in time to survive.

• cat says:

Uhhh… they DID explain why, back in Episode 419.

I am SO beyond sick of reading comments from viewers (I can hardly call them “fans”) who do not pay attention to the show they are allegedly watching, and then criticize the writers for alleged faults or oversights that were CLEARLY explained in the actual episodes. If you bothered to watch and listen, which I suspect you don’t because you sound like a lazy viewer.

• Midori4 says:

Really people? You like that answer? Are you even sci fi fans?

They have been around for years, can travel through time and space and even dimensions, yet they decide to invade in 2016 and you don’t ask “why then”?

Why not just travel back in time and warn us to stop doing what we were doing that will lead to that future?

What the writers gave us was a lame excuse they clearly didn’t think about in any depth.
            I

• jenna says:

because the observers aren’t looking to ‘fix’ the planet or ‘fix’ what was clearly wrong in their time period. They are looking for a population that is easy to manipulate and control so they can live in power (and looking at the current state of society this time period seems as good a time as any)

• Rrrrrr says:

NO. I love the first three season go Fringe but season 4 was awful. Terrible stories, and we had to sit through characters who baisically hadn’t gone through what there previous incarnations had gone through, and I don’t care about them. It was a bad season, and this is a bad season. I still watch because I love Fringe and want to see how it ends but I’m not going to lie and tell you that it isn’t a shell of its formerly self. I don’t care about any “explanation” because it’s still not the same. Sorry not everyone shares your view.

• Lily says:

Thank you very much for that, I hate it when this so call “fans” start criticizing the show for things they have already explain. If you are only seeing the show, that’s great good for you, but don’t talk about the show unless you are actually watching the show.

• Ben says:

They explained that in the 2036 episode last year. Watch the beginning screen again.

• Scott42444 says:

Yes, they explained why the Observers decided to “invade”. But, I think that Midori4 does have a point. Why did the Observers invade in 2015? What about that time is meaningful? I personally believe that they require IMMENSE power to create those wormholes that send pieces of the Central Park air degredation machine and 2016 is the closest to “their” time that they can go too and still be able to dominate the populace. But, that is all conjecture because it was never explained. Why not go back to 20000 BC? Why not 1900? I assume that they need to go to a time with electronics and such in order to make their weapons and tools but it is never explained properly. Look, I love the show to death and have gone back and rewatched every episode from the beginning up until 5.10. Also, Season 4 is much better when you watch it THAT WAY. But, it is clearly the weakest of the seasons. The finale was BY FAR the worst one. They had way too much filler. They had a whole plot thread of OLIVIA MUST DIE that didn’t have any real weight to it, etc. This, Season 5, is also a little bit disappointing. They sent our team on a fetch quest. It doesn’t make sense.

WHY SPLIT UP THE PIECES OF THE MACHINE?!?!? If you can’t complete the machine without all of it’s parts, meaning that if any one part is gone the whole plan is broken, why would you split everything up and risk losing it? Why not put most of it in Walter’s secret basement in the lab? Why not put everything in the pocket universe? Except for the magnet, which is too large. You could put everything in the room with Michael and have 1 tape saying “Go to the pocket universe and retrieve the following items!” But, there wouldn’t be enough “filler” for a half of a season, would there? That is why I think they should have alternated between 2012-2016 and 2036. They wouldnt’ have needed any filler, like the scene where Walter is tripping on acid and P & O get into a shootout with the Loyalists. That is just tacked on action to make the episode “complete”. It wasn’t needed at all. I never thought that Astrid was going to die on that dock (or anyone else for that matter). I didn’t think ANYTHING was going to happen. It just….happened. That stuff SHOULD NOT happen in the last 13 episode season. Now, we have 3 episodes left. I have a feeling that they saved ALL of their money for a MONSTER finale! So, after the next 3 episodes I will be able to properly judge this Season as a whole. But, all of the REAL fans should be a little disappointed that the writers didn’t take advantage of this incredible gift to tell a final 13 hours of the story and really add some AMAZING stuff. It is disappointing. I love this show. It is my #1 all-time favorite and I challenge anyone to call me out on my knowledge of the show. I might mistake 1 or 2 dates that were mentioned (although according to the Fringe timeline that was posted on Seriable, there are many descrepencies there as well, such as Robert Bishoff dying before Walter was born and the fact that the Jacksonville trials were started and ended at incorrect times and that the car that fused with John Harvard’s statue was sent later than originally said, etc.), but I know as much as the next hardcore Fringie out there. THAT IS WHY I AM A LITTLE UPSET THAT I HAVEN’T GOTTEN A BIT MORE. That’s all. Can’t wait 2 + more weeks, damn.

4. James says:

Yes! The fire rises!

5. DarkDefender says:

“An Enemy of Fate” … might mean our FRINGE Team battles against (as in to change it) the fate of the world and the presence and power of the observers. Maybe a grim fate does not have to happen after all. Although I feel the origin episodes are leaning us towards an Olivia ‘must die in all outcomes’ scenario… I am still hoping she gets a happy ending. With Peter and the 3 year old Etta.

• jozzy says:

‘sigh’ olivia already ‘died’ by walter to stop her release of energy then was brought back and the balance restored, pay more attention to the show

• BigAdam says:

^This!

• Montezuma says:

Doesn’t mean it can’t happen again.

• Naomi says:

True but notice how Walter killed her in the S4 finale in exactly the same way Walternate killed her in The Day We Died. I think that was to show that that was the fated death that was supposed happen in all futures.

• Mike says:

We are still in the same timeline where Walter shot her. So by your definition it already happened. Lol

• Delirious says:

That doesn’t mean Olivia doesn’t have to die again, perhaps even permanently. You ask DarkDefender to pay more attention to the show, but maybe you should do the same – “must die in ALL OUTCOMES”, it could be September forecasting Walter shooting her, AND her having to die to defeat those who September was rebelling against to help humankind. So yeah, “sigh” indeed. But not exactly at DarkDefender.

• Rick Katze says:

And yet September indicated that this “future which presently existed” was just one of many possible futures.
          Does “Olivia must die in all outcomes” refer to solely to this future and changes to it or does it include other futures where the Observers do not exist.
          My bet is that they will change the future to one in which the Observers do not exist. I also see a “happy” ending for Peter and Olivia. By definition this does not necessarily include Etta and Walter.

• DarkDefender says:

@Delirious.. And those posters above.. I’m glad what I was saying wasn’t lost on you all. “All outcomes” indeed.. We were told the ending would be “satisfying”.. But not necessarily a happy ending.. Which is why I believe Olivia could still die – again – but that I am still a shipper who hopes Peter and Olivia (and Etta) have a happy ending.

• DarkDefender says:

I know she died one before, silly rabbit. I’m just saying she dies again.. Because “she dies in all outcomes..” Maybe you should pay more attention. :P

• Zargaaa says:

I agree, but in an interview, they said that this might not have been what September intended. So I think the same as you, but the interview keeps me on my toes.

• Nancy says:

I’m with you on this one. We all have been devoted Fringe Fans for many years and it would be a shame to end this series on a sad note. I would also love to see Peter, Olivia and 3 year Old Etta back together again.

6. Hana says:

Hmmm… Joel is on video on another site and he says the title is “Enemies of Fate” (not “An Enemy”) any way to get clarification on this?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I am aware of that; Fox confirms that “An Enemy of Fate” is correct.

• shawhs says:

thanks for the correct title it’s good to hear the finale will have big budget and will go with a bang the show deserves at least that . a bang to go but lets hope not a s3 finale bang.sad about the show’s end. despite s4 issues (all shows have their issues at some time ) it’s one of of the best drama-scif-fi show .

• DarkDefender says:

#FIVESEASONSANDAMOVIE!

7. DadzBoyz says:

September may be the enemy of fate. He interfered with Peter’s fate when he was a child and has interfered with the fate of the whole team since then.

8. cat says:

FRINGE is an enemy of fate. It was supposed to be cancelled several times over.

9. shuayb says:

I think it refers to how no matter what happens, Peter and Olivia always have survived and will continue to do so. Their always ‘fated’ to die but they don’t. I just hope that he doesn’t kill Peter, Olivia and Astrid. I’ve got a feeling Walter does die and maybe Nina Sharp. I think it will be the worst ending ever if Peter or Olivia die. It would be just ridiculous. Five years and no happy ending.

10. The Observers and their plan have served the function of fate in the series. An enemy of fate would be whomever destroyed their plan.

11. R.O.B. says:

It seems obvious (and welcome) to me that the series will end with the Fringe team somehow resetting back to just before the Observers took over. They introduced that time tunnel in the last episode (or one before, can’t recall) so will probably use that to get back to 2012. I bet Walter will figure out how to use Observer Peter to transport the Fringe team back to 2012 at the same time he transports the Observers to the Bikini Atoll (or someplace else right before a test nuke is dropped). I can see Walter sacrificing himself somehow, but the emotional lift will be Peter and Olivia getting to raise their daughter. That’s my guess.

12. Annie says:

I think it goes back to the Olivia having to die in every possible version of the future September warned her. It’s her fate.

13. DaveR says:

Let me see if I got this right. There was no program Nov. 23 or 30th, but there will be a two parter Dec. 7th and Jan. 18th… I hope this ends will.

14. Templar68 says:

I think Walter is the enemy of fare referered to as even before Peter was saved from the lake by September Walter had already altered fate by taking the alternate Peter back to his universe. Who knows? Can’t wait though

15. JCF says:

The series will end in the park, with the Peter, Olivia and the 3 year old daughter playing as the observer invasion time comes and goes unnoticed. Walter will join them with a picnic basket, hugs for all… Fade to the six finger hand…. THE END.

16. dadzboyz says:

Walter wouldn’t be the likley Enemy of Fate. I understand the thought of him being that but fate is Walter doing things without September’s interference. Had September not interrupted Walternate, then Walternate would have found the cure for Peter, Walter would not have gone over to save him and Peter would have lived with Walternate and his mother on that side. September is the interrupter or interferor or enemy of fate.

17. Ella says:

Peter is the enemy of fate, in my opinion. He has survived when he shouldn’t have and is now becoming one of the observers. I love his character and am glad this final season is about him. I tend to think he will sacrifice his life to save Walter and Olivia and the world from the observers. If so, I hope that resets everything and the show ends with Peter, Olivia and Etta before the observers invaded. I know it’s corny but I would love to see a happy ending.

18. Dayna says:

I feel like the answer that would make sense to me is if Peter becomes September and them is forced to travel back in time to save his young self and then to help the Fringe team before dying. Paradox problems, clearly, but he always did take a special interest in Peter. Of course I had a solution for Lost worked out too, and that didn’t quite go as planned. Although if Peter is September then he can’t really be an enemy of fate as much as its tool, so maybe someone else killing Peter before full transformation is the “enemy of fate”.

• EA Setser says:

You can’t justify a paradox with a time traveler having a special interest in his previous self. Much of what Peter has learned and his involvement in these events has been driven by September. So, without September, it’s unlikely that Peter would ever have implanted himself with the Observer tech with the intent of using it against the Observers. In fact, without September, he would have grown up in the red universe.

More likely, the Child Observer is September as a kid. Olivia is the first person to bond with him, followed by Walter. So, even as an adult, he’s still attached to the two of them and Peter, even though he can no longer rationalize emotion.

19. coryreed says:

I have a feeling that the ending might be similar to Lost. A bookend so to speak. Perhaps Walter is given the choice to go back to the moment in time when he takes Peter from the other universe. He chooses not to thus not opening both universes and not having september intervene. Just a thought. Rip it apart if I’m dead wrong :)

• Dayna says:

That’s where I’m leaning as well.

• Lily says:

Not likely because the reason Walter cross over was because September interferred. It September had not interrupted Walternate, Walter wouldn’t had to cross over to save Peter. If anyone is the enemy is September.

20. John Moshier says:

peter will be the original oberver setting time back so olivia and her daughter survive

21. Chris says:

What about the man who was in Olivia’s mind and she told Peter that “that’s the man who kills me”? He isn’t coming back, is he? I want a happy ending for Olivia and Peter, but isn’t that a loose end that was never tied up?

22. Emily says:

Wow, these are most comments I’ve seen on a Fringe article here in a while.

23. Chris says:

There will be Deaths i can be sure! and because the basis of the show is pretty much based around Walter and his fringe science i just have a feeling that he will die! i may be happy then. Not because i don’t like the character! Walter is the most amazing character ever! But in my head i think they need to close the series with how it started.

24. Joe says:

Peter is September.

25. Rob Carter says:

Nobody is going to die. I suspect there will be a movie soon similar to X-files.

26. Peter says:

The people here who don’t like Fringe are the viewers who like shows such as X-Factor and other reality crap.. How can you not like Fringe and wish it was cancelled already after S3 or S4?

Oh and can’t wait for finale. Observers are enemy of fate. They were not supposed to mess with timeline to begin with which they seriously did by coming back from future.

September knew that so he had to bring Peter back.

27. Carol Elam says:

What ever the fate of the ending episode, I have loved watching Peter, Olivia, & Walter. My favorite charicter has always been Peter. Joshua Jackson is good at this part and I hate that this show is ending. I know the rating may not have been good, and some people have posted that it should have been killed off many times over, but I still love a good syfi show. Fringe was one of my favorites. Thanks to the cast, and to the writers and director. You did a great job with this show. I have enjoyed watching and hope to see these actors/actresses in other great shows in the future. Way to go Fringe team. and Thanks for the show.

28. Marie says:

Enemy of fate means they will not give in to their fate; they’ll fight against it. And they won’t go quietly!!

29. Cindy says:

I hope it is ‘how did they do that’ and not ‘why did they do that ‘ like Lost. I also love Fringe and hate for it to end. Great show

30. joe says:

My money is on time travel and something to do with “the first people”.

31. Michael Mj12 says:

I too hope it ends on a positive note. A decade of research on ufo/alien phenomena and I’m convinced shows like X-Files & Fringe are based on leaked info from military insiders. Project Looking Glass is exactly what Walter used to peer into alternate universes, the military at Area 51 have tested such devices… I also note the observers are bald and hairless & look identical….sounds like alien grays to me; walking thru walls, same tricks they use; I also note the opening credits are now a warning about human enslavement via the image of the fema-like camp. Stop seeing sci-fi surface message, this is based on real tech. Black project military is 40-50 years ahead of conventional military…and if you doubt some of our worlds leaders have been replaced with clones (unwitting slaves) you are living in sm illusion. Take the red pill & wake up. Dont listen to me, do youre own research & put the pieces together. Good luck soldiers… and we are all soldiers. Just remember September, there are many on our side & we are NOT alone on this rock or in this vast universe. Love & Light. :-D

32. MD Bowen says:

All will be made right!

33. James T. Vyverberg says:

I was a Star Trek fanatic who gave up on TV when Trek went off the air, until I discovered the best show of all time – FRINGE!

34. Joshua Morrow says:

Darn it! The Human Kind was the title of the book I wanted to write but never did.

35. justaskin63 says:

What if the ENTIRE show has been a grand hallucination by Walter, still in the psychiatric hospital where Peter originally found him. Trapped in his own mind…it could be plausible and extremely sad and still be an ending with all characters, except Walter, having a happy ending. Really very sad if you think about it. I will take cover now…remember, I was just asking. Be kind…

36. Denise says:

I’m hoping that An Enemy of Fate means that the timeline is reversed due to Peter’s actions and that the Observers are no more.
    Why can’t we have a TV first? Bring this series back! The writing is fantastic and the acting is superb!
    I’ve loved SciFi since I was 9 years old and watched Twilight Zone- introduced myself to Arthur C Clarke, Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein and the like.
    What a coup it would be to bring it back. Thanks for the ride. It’s been a long ( not long enough) strange trip!

• Upstate John says:

Yes, it would make sense that Peter hits the reset button some how. He did it before. It is part of his character. Maybe he is the first Observer…some Walter experiment gone wrong in the original timeline—altered by September. Maybe he is being set up to be the first Observer again by the others…it seems like he is being manipulated. To change fate once again, Peter either does himself in or has Walter rip the tech out of his neck.

Unfortunately, this proposed speculation looks like the last season ending of Dr. Who.

What is it with Peter and tech? Maybe he was destined to be a cyborg.

They have to do more with lovable Walter verses older, smarter, meaner Walter in the finale.

I would applaud a return to the alternate Universe and learn of their fate. Do they have Observers? When Peter set the clock back to seal the universes did some of the bad guys come back to life? Maybe Olivia could meet and older Lincoln at some point?

• Agreed. :-D I go into withdrawals when it goes off air.

• Carly Wilson says:

@ Denise, I so agree with you! But – the show started dying for me when Etta was killed. Since the Bullet that saved the World, my heart breaks every episode as we draw to a close. When Olivia and Peter speak about Etta and I hear the echo of her theme song, I break.

I think this season must have a happy ending! It would tear my heart to pieces if it didn’t. Then, I would be too afraid of watching a full length movie.

RIP ETTA

37. Romolo says:

He should do a online season financed by crowd founding, without country limitations or this last century TV standarts.

38. pilotfred says:

i have been thinking since toward the end of last season that fringe is leading towards the big bang! as in to the fringe universe and the beginning of ours

39. TheObserver_2035 says:

While I love the show, I agree with some here that the show lost a bit of sizzle when Peter disappeared. The alternate universe was the absolute best story line.

With that being said, since Peter is dabbling with ‘Observer-hood’ I think the show ends with him somehow getting the tech removed and a conflict comin anout to where he has face going back to his own timeline. I think Peter is the ‘enemy’ here.

40. Glen says:

They are all dead, just waiting for the past, future & alt selves to all come together, then they can more along!

41. Upstate John says:

I miss searching for the Observers each week. That was fun.
    I hated the season ending last spring. The story was reaching too far and the editing was of its game.
    I know that the Observers recovered William Bell. Maybe I missed it, but his fate is still unknown, right?

42. ryan says:

This is the best show on tv every season has been awesome but also in every season the observers has mentioned the boy (peter) is special! And with Walters brain growing back i think something big will happen between the two of them. Also i think the young boy that looks like an observer will play a big roll

43. Sami says:

I think the title may also refer to the show as a whole. The show was always marked for cancellation, but it always went against said “fate” and had a final conclusion that they wanted, but a lot of people thought they’d never get.

44. timbeak45 says:

What seems to be telegraphed (at least to me) is that Peter is the First Observer, barring Olivia and Walter pulling him from the brink. But every time I actually think I know what’s going to happen is when Fringe’s writing team really comes through. I think Enemy of Fate refers to Peter, despite the fact he is becoming what he is fighting.

45. Alex_leary says:

What is sure is that Jan 19th, I will start again at S1E1 and go thru the five seasons straight in one week.
    I will certainly be annoyed by all the loose ends and U turns in the scenario, but I will also be amazed by all the clever ideas, devices and sub-plots they planted in previous episodes, and that reappeared with a purpose one or two seasons later (like the amber, when you say “OMG, this was used in the bus attack in season one!”).
    And I’m certain to have missed of forgot key elements. And I still do not understand the involvement of the Observers in the disappearance of Peter with the Machine…
    I would say that what I miss the most is the parallel universe and its characters. I would love to have some news from Bolivia, Lee and Walternate. Did the observers invade them too?
    Anyway, even if I’m confident that I will not be happy with the ending (and believe that very few true fans will), I’m really glad that they had the opportunity to make an end instead of being cancelled.
    And now my head is full of questions from loose ends of the past 4 years…

46. De7erminist says:

I think I know what ‘Enemy of Fate’ means. It means, as FRINGE has always stressed about time and the course of events, that the Observers were fated all along to have become their enemy BECAUSE of Peter.

This is why, I think, Peter was erased in the first place. He was the first Observer as he created a time loop and the Observers being able to observe timelines were trying to prevent that, but they could not

47. 2112 says:

Enemy of Fate is free will. The series has always been about the struggle between the idea of free will and destiny.

48. Collins says:

No matter what the outcome, Fringe has been a light at the end of the tunnel. In the sense that, whenever you turn on the tv its engulfed with horrible reality shows. I love this show in every direction it has gone! My heart hurts just knowing that after Jan I will be the end. I wish they would reverse the cancellation and continue the series. FRINGE FAN FOR LIFE!

49. Rohmat says:

I’ve seen somewhere that an upcoming episode will be named “The Boy Must Live” which sounds pretty similar to something September would say. I wonder if September is the enemy of fate in the episode title? September and the FRINGE team working together to finally stop the observers? As a fringey it would be pretty satisfying for me to see, anyone?

50. Rg says:

If time travel is involved, I bet they go back to the beginnng and walter lets peter die or finds the cure in time. Thus eliminating the tip of the first dominoe that brought about the entire series. But in the latest episdode, Nina mentioned to Walter something about his ambition in creating his own universe once [Scooby Clue: walter freaking out about what he is capable of with his entire brain]. In any case, It should be a doosie!

• Nice one Reg. Tonites show was awesome, as a researcher or UFO/alien stuff I found the episode extremely revealing and inspiring…many reveals in line with what I feel is the truth. Observers are gray aliens… follow the breadcrumb trails. :-)

• I’d like to hope it ends well also. I feel that both Walter and September were the Enemy of Fate,. Walter for using the Project Looking Glass tech (very real stuff btw) to peer into the alternate universe and going there and then September for saving Walter and Peter from the lake. I hope its a final happy ending with no clliff hanger. But then, this is Hollywood and its a business in the end, they will likely do 1-3 movies but if they plan on doing that, there will also likely be a cliff hanger to get the tv audience to go to a theater and see the Fringe movie. :-)