Angus T. Jones Addresses His 'Filth'-y Men Rant, Apologizes for Showing 'Lack of Appreciation'

Angus T. Jones Apologizes for Two and a Half Men RantTwo and a Half Men‘s Angus T. Jones has broken his silence about the video that went viral on Monday, in which he urged fans to stop watching his CBS sitcom.

Allowing that he cannot address “every misstatement or misunderstanding” made in the wake of the released video – a religious testimonial that at one point had the 19-year-old actor pegging Men as “filth” and beseeching people to “stop watching it” — Jones said in a statement to our sister site Deadline, “Without qualification, I am grateful to and have the highest regard and respect for all of the wonderful people on Two and Half Men with whom I have worked over the past 10 years and who have become an extension of my family.”

PHOTOS | 13 Actors We’d Like to See Replace Two and a Half Men‘s Angus T. Jones

Jones goes on to call his run on the well-watched hitcom, which currently nets him $300,000-a-week, “one of the most significant experiences in my life to date.” He also stressed “how much I personally care for [the cast and crew] and appreciate their support, guidance and love over the years.”

Realizing how his words — as true an opinion as they might be — perhaps were perceived by those with whom he works, Jones said, “I apologize if my remarks reflect me showing indifference to and disrespect of my colleagues and a lack of appreciation of the extraordinary opportunity of which I have been blessed. I never intended that.”

Whether this mea culpa passes muster or lands coal in his stocking is something Jones will have to wait and see about, as he was not scheduled to appear in either of Men‘s final two episodes taping before the show’s holiday production hiatus.

• prish says:

Right, just let the kid be a kid. Everyone rebels against home and family in teen years, in some form. This show has been part of his home for the past 10 years.

• larry says:

good idea prish——just let ‘em do whatever they want. Maybe if you think on it real hard, you can come up w another excuse for this ingrate. My dismay is at the hypocritical stance of this (apparently) self-absorbed convert. If it is so terrible and so immoral and against your better judgement—–WHY are you still around. Walk away,,,,,,,,dont bring up contracts either, they are easily manipulated in this day and age. Yours’ is exactly the attitude that has brought us to this point.

• AVS says:

I said something very similar on yahoo as your comments here. I found that only folks who were avid fans of this show stuck up for Angus; folks who identified as non viewers totally backed my point about this kid’s ingratitude. And letting kids do “whatever they want” is why kids today are so snarky and lazy! It is no solution to anything. Angus sounds like he needs to grow up and get over himself, especially since he will never work again once TaAHM is over.

• Barbara in FW,TX says:

Getting religeon does strange things to people. I’m glad he apologized. He did have a sweet life due to this show.

1. julia says:

what a spoiled little jerk. Hope he invested well, as I would like to think he won’t be working again in this town (past the point of current contractual obligations).

• kevin says:

Least he has the decency to apologize …Hollywood isn’t the be all and end all. Hey, Holier than thou, nice to wish people ill will. Is it his decision or his religion you hate?

• Kevin, you don’t really think the kid wrote this apology, do you? That’s not how it works. This is a very carefully crafted message from a crisis agency or publicist.

• Blake says:

Or more likely from his cult leaders, making sure he can continue to give them his money.

• Suncatcher says:

Joe, I was just going to write the same thing but you beat me to it. Looking at the carefully crafted words of ‘apology’ / kiss butt in this article, they are way too elegant for this kid. His agent/lawyer wrote this script for him – and fast. None of it rings true. 19 year old kid making $300K PER WEEK is mighty rare. Wonder if Angus realizes this – or he thinks everyone his age does so.
          The kid spoke what he really believes. Fire him – and we can stop watching his “filth” as he so emotionally requested.

• Britta Unfiltered says:

Yes, because if there is one thing Hollywood is known for…it’s forbidding jerk actors with bad behavior to ever work in their town again. The blackballing of Charlie Sheen is first to come to mind. He must be living on the streets right now in poverty, with no prospects in sight, wishing he had never said those horrible things against Chuck Lorre!

2. Adam says:

It is good to know that he is grateful to and has the highest regard and respect for all of the wonderful people on Two and Half Men with whom he has worked over the past 10 years as part of Satan’s work.

• kevin says:

I know your feeble lib mind can’t comprehend that you guys wouldn’t have the guts to complain if he complained said he was muslim…

hypocrites…sorry step out your self-obsessed little worlds. Funny you guys constantly attack his religious beliefs.

wow I thought this was TV site, not a attack one.

• seanje says:

If western culture is accused of anything, it’s coddling Muslims. Yeah…

And OP wasn’t attacking Christianity (y’all are pretty paranoid, I didn’t even consider that until I read your comment, and I still don’t see it), he is criticizing Angus’ hypocrisy.

P.S. OP wasn’t bashing Christianity, but I don’t have a problem with it. There seems to be this ludicrous underdog, us-against-the-world, “everyone is persecuting us” narrative going on in the American protestant world right now. It’s absolutely insane, all things considered. I blame Fox News.

• Adam says:

I mean no disrespect to his religious beliefs, but if he is going to stand by his statements I don’t see how he can be mutually saying that he respects his coworkers and views the work they do as Satanic.

• ugh says:

what’s an attack site?

• GoGiants says:

Why are Christians (the loud ones, not the real ones) so quick to play the victim? Pointing out someone’s own words isn’t “bashing.”

Perhaps if you Christians are really lucky, you will have 200+ years of Christian Presidents…oh, wait, we have. You are no victimized minority.

• Mike says:

I loved your comment until the end. :/

• Singinguy says:

Adam, I like your brief sarcasm… and you’re right!

3. Alichat says:

You’d think someone who has been on TV for 10 years would know you don’t say anything on video that you aren’t willing to tell anyone and everyone in the world.

4. Captain Obvious says it is so painfully obvious that this “statement” is something his agent came up with in five minutes as damage control.

5. Edmalex says:

I thought his initial statement was idiotic and poorly thought out, but at least it represented his current thinking. This NEW statement, including it’s allusion to “every misstatement or misunderstanding,” baldly reveals him to be a confused young man who doesn’t understand that words have meaning and who feels he can make up with all the folks he works with by saying something that’s clearly in contradiction to what he said earlier. Any tiny bit of respect I had for the poor kid has been dissipated.

6. Amanda says:

So which does he believe…that the show is filth or that he’s so grateful? He’s allowed to have religious beliefs – which I do not faut him for, it is what HE believes. His behavior was atrocious in that video. It was that of a spoiled child not a man. He clearly still has a lot of growing to do. He needs to take time with himself – not with an agent, producer or that guy from that video – and think about what he truly wants to do.

• broncfanwa says:

Erm, i’m guessing that he believes the show is filth, and that nobody should watch the filth, because it’s propagated by the “enemy,” but he’s grateful for said “enemy” for paying him all sorts of obscene money for making the filth so he can go in front of cameras and call said enemy the enemy and describe the enemy’s product as filth, even though he is partially responsible for making the filth, making him, by extension, the “enemy,” but he’s grateful for that, too, but, still, it’s evil, and bad, and wrong, but he’s grateful, and doesn’t mean any disrespect…

(brief translation: my mouth got ahead of my brain, i like the money, the notoriety, the money, don’t fire me, i like the money, i don’t really have a fully formed opinion, but i’m gonna tell you what it is anyway, and i like the money!)

7. DYH says:

There’s an old saying that still rings true in this day an age…”THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK”! Or in this case, think before you go on a rant and posting it on YouTube. Now the things he said on YouTube are “misstatements” and “misunderstandings”? Please, give me a break!

8. Kevin H. says:

Translation: “Please don’t fire me, Chuck! I love making my 300,000 an episode!” Lorre needs to fire this hypocrite.

9. seanje says:

Appreciation for his colleagues aside, I hope he realizes how hypocritical and shallow he is by working on this show if in fact the beliefs he expressed Monday (and didn’t refute today), of the content of the show being “filth,” are genuine. If he indeed thinks very little (to put it conservatively) of the final product he is helping to produce, this “extraordinary opportunity” of which he has been “blessed” comes down almost exclusively to the money he earns from it.

Good is the one who forsakes his ideals and morals for earthly treasures. I’m pretty sure that’s in the Bible somewhere, right?

10. Alex says:

He’s young and stupid. Did anyone really think he would be going on past the run of this show? No. All his comments have done is maybe speed up the rate of his pop lexicon extinction. Case closed.

11. Sean says:

Replace him!

12. McAmster says:

I have a sneaking suspicion Lorre will be sending Jake to Afghanistan where he will sadly, because it happens to many of our men and women, railroaded by insurgents…

Did he learn nothing from Charlie getting railed down by a train????

Lmao!

13. Stacie says:

Sounds like he’s merely conflicted. He’s 19 years old and look where he’s grown up the past 10 years. He should have used better judgment but I’d give him a break.

• Jess says:

Agreed. Let’s remember that he’s 19 – which, regardless of where or how you grew up, is young. Legally an adult, sure. But one has only to spend a few hours on a college campus on a busy afternoon and realize that 19 still has a lot of growing up and self discovery to do. This young man should and will face consequences for his actions yesterday and, hopefully, will walk away at the end of this a little wiser about the ways of the world and the way one’s behavior reflects back on them and those around them. But let’s not condemn him for a foolish, unwise mistake. Instead, let us hope he is successful in finding the truth and answers he is so obviously seeking.

14. kavyn says:

Pretty sure it was a publicity stunt.

15. Britta Unfiltered says:

I don’t think he needed to apologize. Really, why don’t people think he had a right to his opinion? He has to be a spoiled hypocritical jerk because he thinks a crap show is crap? That’s stupid. I think most people have gone on a rant against their employer at some point in life, particularly when they were young. And when you’re younger, you tend to be less careful about keeping that stuff private too, because you just don’t realize it could jeopardize your employment. I think many people in the world are out there working for people they hate at jobs they hate because they need the employment. Are all those people hypocrites or are they just doing their best to make a living? I feel bad for this kid that he’s getting judged by the idiots of the internet world like this. I wish he hadn’t felt a need to apologize to them, but I understand why he did it. He was just practicing diplomacy. Now he’s getting judged for doing that too. How nice of people.

• Tusk says:

you’re right. He didn’t need to apologise.
      But….as an adult, he has to know that there are consequences.

In his “Testimony” he talked about “all or nothing”, and most of us knew that he wasn’t willing to back his words with action. We knew that when the reality of losing the substantial money he was ‘earning’ for saying a few lines per episode for his ‘opinions’, he predictably recanted, and tried to brush it off as ‘misstatements’ or ‘misunderstandings’.

Make no mistake, the Apology was written “for” Angus, and not “by’ him, so technically, he didn’t apologise, his reps did.

Religion doesn’t enter into this as much as you’d like to make it. He said moronic things that jeopardized his holding onto a job that he took for granted. What has happened to him since are the consequences. Again, nothing about religion, just about a kid learning about consequences to his actions in an adult world (that happens to involve millions of dollars)

BTW, where is his “Forerunner” buddy? Brave man letting a 19 year old take all the heat
      (while he’s likely already taken some of Angus’ mone….er ‘donations’)

• I’m no fan of the show either, but the content of his message is what bothers everyone. That it is filth, that it is not contributing to God’s plan so much so that he would rather be dead than continue to participate in its production, just comes off as judgmental and pious. As if to say that if you watch and enjoy the show, you’re less than him, even though you would be a person that’s helped make him rich. I can say that the testimonial video is boring, pretentious and creepy and I won’t have to issue an apology because (besides my status as nobody) it would not be hypocritical. He shakes a finger at you, telling you to stop watching the filth he makes and then he goes back to work to make more filth, which is apparently bad for our brain and somehow does more damage than religion-based political action groups, child molester coverups, etc. You can’t say he has a right to his opinion and then say it’s wrong for people to call honest to God BS on it.

• GoGiants says:

Exactly. If Angus doesn’t want the public commenting on his words, he can leave the public eye. But he won’t, as it seems he values money above his “religion.”

He is EXACTLY what is wrong with religion…wag a finger, be holier than thou, shout your religion at others, but don’t curb your own behavior or make any sacrifices himself.

• GoGiants says:

There’s a big difference between staying in a job that without it would leave yourself and your family homeless and declaring a TV show that pays you $300,000+/week “filth” and remaining on it.

Seems that when it comes down to it, Angus values his big paydays to his, well, values and morals. This infant should have to face some real consequences–perhaps actually WORKING at a minimum wage job and sweating to earn his keep would set his mind straight?

16. ID says:

When people find a new kind of love, as in religion, they feel the need to express this new feeling of hope and completeness. And without really understanding all that is happening to them, they go all in, making mistakes when they express themselves. That all that happened to him.
    So give him a break, all he is trying to do is be a better person, and in that journey, mistakes will occur.

• GoGiants says:

It seems that he thinks his show is “filth” yet doesn’t want to face the consequences of leaving the show. He wants it both ways. If he really thought the show filth, he’d take the consequences and loss of money in stride and trust in his God, no?

• Loni says:

He’s probably in a contract and can’t leave the show.

• GoGiants says:

I’ve yet to see a contract that doesn’t have an “escape clause” of some sort. He could leave, but if he did, there would be financial repercussions and potentially repercussions that don’t allow him to take another role for X amount of time. So saying he “can’t” leave is incorrect. He values his money over what he spouted off about regarding the show, when push comes to shove.

I’d have huge respect for him if he broke the contract because of his feelings about the show. But mouthing off, then speaking a pre-written “apology” to cover his rear just makes him look petty and as if he doesn’t believe his own words and values his big paydays over all else. Here’s hoping he loses that payday and quickly learns that another won’t be coming soon. Perhaps actual hard work will make him realize what a spoiled brat he is.

17. John says:

Didn’t need to apologize. He needs to getvrleased from the burden of engaging in Lithuania n

18. adam says:

fire him.

19. Tusk says:

Charlie Sheen has released a statement on this through his publicist :
    “It is radically clear to me that the show (2 1/2 Men) is cursed,”

LOL

20. Jared says:

Why is everyone saying leave the “kid” alone? He’s a young adult — he’s 19 people! He should be greatful for how much money her makes at his age!

21. GoGiants says:

Seems that Angus is realizing that the gravy train could be drying up and with his immaturity/lack of actual talent, another role with such a payday could require a long wait.

Words have consequences. If he truly believed the show was “filth” and against his new cult, he’d walk away, finances be darned. But he won’t, as then he’d have to actually WORK for a living.

22. Loni says:

He was obviously in a church and probably not expecting that comment to be made public. Honestly, when he started he was a little boy, how much do you think he knew going into it, and after all these years and he’s become his own person, it makes great sense that he would have an opinion. So I give him big props for speaking his mind. The show is trash and I think everyone knows that.

• GoGiants says:

Um, if you had seen the video, you’d know he wasn’t in a church.

How is it brave to utter words? Brave is walking away, no matter the financial costs. But he won’t do that, of course. Money means more than his religion, I guess.

23. sarah says:

I do not buy his appolgy at all, he was probably told to say sorry or he would face legal action. I do not watch the show but for someone making a boatload of cash you can bet he will not quit as the money is too good. If he really hated the show then he should leave!

24. ameh says:

the show was, in its prime, one of the best shows on tv. now its trash. how many times was ashton kutcher naked last season? they do the same trashy jokes over and over again. They took allen from just being a dorky horn dog to being an absolute creepy perv. Its beyond time the show leave the air – and this kid has every right to voice his opinion. has no one hear ever complained about a job? come on folks…

25. R says:

Brainwashed by a cult (CHURCH)

• AnnieJay says:

I agree with the ‘brainwashing’. ‘Getting religion’ can do that. I feel sorry for him, putting himself into a position of having the show write an instant apology for him. It was polished….the give away. After being on the show for so long, he surely has the money to use the ‘escape’ clause and not be hurt financially. And it’s also the idea of backing up words with actions, unless the powers that be were a major influence. That can be as powerful as getting religion. Those who were with him in his statement helped him put himself in that embarrassing position.

26. MarilynMyre says:

He drank the Kool-Aid from another Krak-Pot “Religeon” and now his “People” are scranbling (because they make money from him too) to fix as much as they can. My guess is that a very large portion of his check goes to support this organization which isn’t very organized if they put out this video that can get him fewer episodes and fewer paychecks. Maybe the season finally will be a military funeral for Jake? A way for Hollywood to make a political statement about the war and take out the trash at the same time.

27. Paul Dennett says:

What do you want to bet that his nest egg (from the weekly $300,000) will all be blown by the time he turns 21?

28. NR75 says:

OMG, seriously, all the people condemning this kid for stating his feelings really need to get a life. He did not like how his character was opposite of his real life, so he said so. I know being an actor means sometimes playing parts which are not YOU, but you have to remember, he started this at an early age and obviously was compared to his character and felt the need to let people know that was not who he really was. He is young and will learn that, that reaction comes with the industry. Give him a break. We all have said things we regret or wish we could take back or word differently.

29. I am sure this article has touched all the internet users,
    its really really good paragraph on building up new weblog.

30. pinterest says:

In fact social networks have revolutionized our
    lives by incorporating all the basic elements of a person’s social life in one place.
    This tool (once called Pin – Clout) is very similar to Facebook Insights.
    With Pinterest, you can pin a picture of your customers and include a blurb of the
    case study or testimonial.