Exclusive: Last Resort, 666 Park Avenue Tweaking Final Episodes to Give Fans Closure

Last Resort and 666 Park Avenue will not leave viewers hanging.

Despite ABC pulling the plug on the freshman dramas last week, the brains behind both shows tell TVLine that they were given enough time to turn their respective swan songs into series finales.

“We have time to tweak,” confirms Last Resort creator Shawn Ryan, adding that Episode 13 will indeed function as a full-fledged series finale.

PHOTOS | TVLine Editors Reveal What They’re Thankful For

666 exec producers David Wilcox and Matt Miller, meanwhile, tease that their Sunday spookfest “is building to a powerful and surprising series finale, where all your questions will be answered. We hope fans of the show continue watching all the way to the end of Jane and Henry’s incredible journey to the dark side.”

Is it really the end for 666 though? DVR data released last week showed the ratings for the thriller’s Nov. 4 episode spiking a staggering 77 percent — raising hopes that ABC might un-ring the cancellation bell. The news prompted leading man Dave Annable to vent on Twitter that ABC “f—ed up” by axing the series.

But it’s a decision the network appears to be standing by.

SPOILERS | Scoop on Grey’s Anatomy, Glee, Revenge, Shameless and More in Ask Ausiello!

While ABC president Paul Lee calls the DVR surge “amazing,” it’s not enough to offset the show’s miniscule live numbers. “It’s wonderful to see the passion [these] shows have,” he says. “We just have to make sure we monetize it.”

Thoughts? Relieved you’ll get a return on the investment you made in both shows? (Additional reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (177)

• A little relieved, but still disappointed. The same thing happened with the last Shawn Ryan show we got hooked on (Chicago Code).

Comment by AT – November 21, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shawn Ryan should just develop mini-series for networks – he’s got great stories and that’s about how long his stuff lasts there.

Comment by ScrubsGuy – November 21, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • good comment…these guys have it bass ackward…instead of going for multi-season storylines and leaving fans dangling when cancelled, it would make more sense to do like American Horror Story has done with a miniseries approach to stories…fans could be assured they won’t get shafted and the viewing public might jump on-board to check out something new or different…and if something really connects to the public then think about a spin-off to capitolize on the success of something

Comment by seattlejohn449 – November 21, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I completely agree! I hesitate to get invested in so many shows because there have been so many I’ve loved that have gotten the axe with no resolution. I’m SO glad they’re going to wrap up Last Resort, I’ll watch it again and again as a miniseries!

Comment by lisa – November 21, 2012 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Completely agree!

Comment by Squishyallen – November 21, 2012 04:36 PM PDT
      • I think canceling these shows ESP 666 is premature.. ABC needs to consider that this is the middle of kids sports season as well as several holidays- soooo ppl won’t be at home watching live- as in my case- I DVr the shows and so do a LOT of my friends who are in the same situation. Networks need to consider things like this before up and pulling the plug on shows. It’s like everytime I love a show its canceled…..

Comment by TGriffin – November 23, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree completely…….everytime I get a show on I like, it’s cancelled. I am tied of all of the reality shows and as you mentioned, high school and college football season is over, holiday shows have taken priority lately. Maybe ABC needs to consider changing the day of the week the show airs and give it a chance before cancelling.

Comment by Linda – December 12, 2012 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree every show i like gets cancelled. I work nights so i have to dvr all my shows. 666 was one i looked forward to every week. they could do so much with it. give it a chance.

Comment by nicole – January 4, 2013 08:23 PM PDT
        • i was loving 666 and again ABC is screwing up again! im just gonna stop watching ABC im soo tired of the numerious so Called reality shows that are soo scripted! well good bye ABC the only good thing you did have was Lost! need i say more Hello NBC?

Comment by JON SMITH – December 12, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Me too ! Iam gone bye bye ABC I loved 666 Park Ave

Comment by Jacquelyn Rice – January 13, 2013 05:48 PM PDT
          • Right on Jon Smith! I should have known 666 Park Ave. was on ABC. It’s another good show cancelled.

Comment by Angela Lupo – May 23, 2013 11:06 AM PDT
        • OMG they are keeping the mindy project wtf? and they are giving the ax to 666 Park Ave?
          some one at ABC Needs to wake up! they are ruining the Line up!

Comment by JON SMITH – December 12, 2012 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The Mindy Project is on FOX not ABC!

Comment by Shane – January 4, 2013 11:03 AM PDT
        • I DVR all of my shows too and finally caught up with 666. It is so good where it keeps you in suspense and cant wait to see more. I’m so disappointed they are cancelling. Terrible decision.

Comment by dolls – December 16, 2012 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree, I have to DVR it also so I am not watching it live. I love 666 I can not get enough of it…please don’t cancel it! The cast is fantastic and everyone that I have spoken to also feels the same!

Comment by Lisa Soule – January 3, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Not to mention the fact that 666 park avenue comes on at 10 pm Sunday night a time when most people are finishing up homework or getting ready for school / work. If the show was to get a new timeframe then I feel like it would so much better

Comment by Brett Michael – January 13, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why don’t networks cancel some of these hundreds if “reality” shows instead of actual series shows??!!!

Comment by TGriffin – November 23, 2012 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Okay okay, am I the only one who just found out that ABC canceled 666 Park Avenue? Very disappointed.My family & I looked forward to watching that show every Dunday night.I didn’t check but was certain a new season if episodes would return.I enjoy watching ABC network, but will boycott ABC Sunday nights at that 10:00pm hour.Someone else commented correctly …ABC is too quick to cancel shows….ABC network got it wrong this time around.

Comment by Tanisha blythe – February 12, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chicago Code was a GREAT show! Too bad it got axed

Comment by Kevin in CT – November 21, 2012 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m STUNNED about 666. If I don’t catch it LIVE, which I usually do–then I’ll watch it ON DEMAND. That is ONE VERY, VERY CLEVER SHOW! EVERYONE I know watches it. But since we’re all in The Biz, my friends DVR, sometimes, four shows at once. If they can’t get to some shows, they delete them, but they ALWAYS WATCH 666!

Comment by Terri – November 21, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • 666 is a GREAT show. With pretty decent ratings. I’m not sure why they’re canceling it. Last word I heard is that the network is keeping it’s option on 666 and Last Resort for a possible Mid-season placement, if its two new shows for mid-season don’t do well. **Meaning the cancelation won’t be final final until probably April/May.
        Regarding DVR — I read an interview with a network person who said that only the Live ratings matter because of the commercials. People watch commercials to pay the bills.
        Don’t they realize that even if you watch a show on DVR, and you fast forward thru commercials, you still SEE them. And can stop and watch the commercials you want. A funny bit or actor catches your eye as you flip thru – and you stop.
        People are not going to be happy with constant cancellations on shows that they DVR. I try to watch a commercial here and there on DVR just to help with the cycle of life. But it doesn’t count what I watch anymore. Maybe if the Nielsen families signed a pledge to watch a commercial or two on DVR…….

Comment by Squishyallen – November 21, 2012 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’ll watch a commercial if they cut the amount of them to 3, i’ve counted as much as 10 commercials and while that helps them,it causes cable BILLS to soar. screw you.

Comment by JOE – November 23, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really like the show, too. I have liked Dave Annable since REUNION, and was soo distraught when FOX axed that. I wish they would have given this show a budget cut :(. Or how about cut Shonda Rhimes budget somemore? Get rid of April and Arizona and give their checks to this show!

Comment by lorna – November 26, 2012 02:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The show is GREAT,I hope the CW or some other NET> picks it up and WHOOPIE DIES IN THE FIRST EPISODE A HORRIBLE DEATH.

Comment by JOEG – November 27, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC never gave this show a fighting chance. The time slot for this type of show was horrible. Same with Chicago Code. Both were great shows!

Comment by Meg – November 21, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m glad Last Resort is ending. All the episodes after the premiere made a downward spiral into atrocity. Characters are inconsistent and cartoonish. Its not worthy of the name of Shawn Ryan.

Comment by John R – November 21, 2012 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You obviously have not watched the same episodes I have, with that remark you show us all you have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

Comment by Neil – December 9, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Neil, I agree !! A great show !!!!

Comment by alan – January 19, 2013 06:16 AM PDT
    • Chicago Code was a really, really great show.

Comment by CJ – November 21, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m very disappointed that Chicago Code was canceled , and now 666 Park Avenue is next. We had Chicago Code night, just knew this show would last because of all the bad politics in Chicago. A writer would never run out of material in this city.

Comment by BL – January 24, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news of the week, actually. At least they’re not just going to “end” like, say, V, with a cliffhanger.

Comment by Chris – November 21, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What was the one on FOX that had a GREAT SURPRISE cliffhanger for the Season Finale and then stupid FOX didn’t renew it? Something like MEET JOHN DOE. (People were REALLY upset about that one!) And if anyone is interested in watching a really good, supernatural Detective series, check out Matthew Fox’s Filmography. It was really good when it was on UPN–but you never knew when the dang thing was on. I hate that when there’s a good show but the times and days keep constantly switching so no one can find it (just like that really funny comedy on NBC, I think, that Jane Curtain and Stephen Collins did years ago). The Networks don’t give shows a chance. We would never have had more than one season of SEINFELD if NBC didn’t believe in it. It took what, at least three or more years before it made a dent in the ratings? Then it became a top staple. No one has faith anymore. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that, someday, they’ll distribute the supernatural TV show THE OTHERS on DVD. Until recently, shows that only had one season, didn’t get distributed beyond broadcast TV. At least now, we can see our favorite shows on DVD–like TERRA NOVA (another stupid mistake FOX made!!!!).

Comment by Terri – November 21, 2012 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • John Doe with Dominic Purcell! I loved that show. I couldn’t believe it was cancelled. That was the show that made me start to look for info on t.v shows. The finale where his friend (William Forsythe), the bar owner, was one of the bad guys. Ugh.

Comment by tp – November 21, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree John Doe was a great show, and I was so mad that they didn’t finish it. I wish that if a show gets cancelled before they can end it right, I wish they would put extra episodes on the DVD for closure. Dark Angel was another show that they ended poorly.

Comment by To – November 21, 2012 08:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Look up John Doe on Wikipedia. It has some info about where the show would have gone if it had stayed on the air. BTW, you’re wrong about the William Forsythe character. Things weren’t as they seemed. Again, check the Wikipedia page.

Comment by Alex – November 21, 2012 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad they are being able to give a bit of an ending to it. I tried 666 several times and it just wasn’t my thing, but I wish well to the entire cast – they are all very talented.

Comment by Lev – November 21, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Quick – get Terry O’Quinn over to Person of Interest stat!

Comment by ScrubsGuy – November 21, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry, the man should already be booked to Hawaii by now. Five O I’m sure has stuff in mind.

Comment by Evan – November 21, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’d take him on either!

Comment by Kristina – November 21, 2012 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed!

Comment by Kristina Hammock – November 21, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • POI and Revolution! He has to sign up, like right now!

Comment by John R – November 21, 2012 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sounds good.

Comment by Michael Sacal – November 21, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad that 666 is getting an ending. I knew it would be canceled when I started watching. I did because I knew I wouldn’t get attached. Still, you always hope to get answers.

Comment by Barbie – November 21, 2012 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess, they’ll submit theirselves into the mini-series category and make the best out of a bad situation.

Comment by Lubomir Raykov – November 21, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ABC did exactly that last year with the Ashley Judd show that got cancelled.

Comment by Sam – November 21, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OMG! My friends and I at work were just talking about MISSING last Monday. We were all discussing what a great show it was and had a perfect Season Finale–then ABC made it DISAPPEAR! (Sorry, unfortunately, since I used to work at ABC, I have nothing nice to say about the alphabet network. But if they kept their GOOD SHOWS on the air, then I probably would!!!!)

Comment by Terri – November 21, 2012 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes! Missing was amazing, and it was really perplexing as to why it never caught on.

Comment by Temperence – November 21, 2012 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This may make me catch up on the few 666 eps I was going to delete from my DVR and finish the series.

Comment by MDEP – November 21, 2012 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same. I deleted the episodes off my DVR after it was cancelled. I may have to look those up now.

Comment by Steven – November 21, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it is worth it. It just needed to find its audience.

Comment by Sam – November 21, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s stupid, all the great shows are on Sunday which force us to record half of them and watch them later. I thought DVR playbacks were going to help…?

Comment by Julie – November 21, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It would be nice if TV execs actually lived in 2012 and understood that overnight ratings aren’t the be all, end all of judging TV success anymore. These people are still stuck in 1985.

Comment by Jason Castleman (@lethargicj) – November 21, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. On the other hand, it would be nice if people realised that TV networks are beholden to what the advertisers consider profitable advertising. A show could have 100million people watching, but if they all watch one month after it airs, there are a lot of advertisers who would consider airing their ad to 10million people live would be a better investment.

Comment by ben – November 21, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Fast forward thru the dvr version or go for a sandwich during commercials live, how much difference really?

Comment by Jay Freeway – November 22, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL,my wife tends her laundry , makes popcorn etc. during these 4 min. commercials.

Comment by JOEG – November 23, 2012 07:43 AM PDT
        • I’m sorry, so as a consumer it is my responsibility to forgo convenience so as to fit into the industry’s antiquated models of profitabiity. Yeaaaahhhh…… not so much.

Comment by KCatty – November 23, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not if Nielsen families aren’t playing them back fast enough: http://tvline.com/2012/10/18/fall-tv-2012-dvr-ratings-increases/

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 21, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And WHY do we STILL HAVE Nielsen families when, supposedly, they’re able to track what we watch on Digital Cable, etc.? Has anyone EVER met a Nielsen family? I did once–when a new girl came to my school in the 6th grade. Where are these people? They seem more difficult to find than Aliens from Space!

Comment by Terri – November 21, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My family was one in the 90s but other than us I have never ever met anybody else

Comment by Matthew – November 21, 2012 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • My husband and I were a Nielsen family for a few months. It was awesome. But a lot of work. We had to fill out forms with EVERYTHING we watched on live tv and on DVR. And then other questions about it. It wasn’t multiple choice. We had to write comments on everything.
          We would have continued but someone from Nielsen called to check in and was in a hurry and asked if we had cable. I answered — “we have a satellite dish and we get cable channels” but she had already hung up and so we were never offered the chance again. REALLY dumb way to get Nielsen families — zero customer service. No help to answer questions.
          But it was FUN despite the madness.

Comment by Squishyallen – November 21, 2012 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Lots of reasons. Not everyone has digital cable or whatever can be used to track viewing (which, BTW, is a blasted invasion of privacy, in many opinions). Even if it becomes easy to tell what program is on which channel in every home, though, it is not possible to just automatically tell the age/gender/race/income/etc. of every person who is watching at that time. Or how many people are watching. Or whether they’re actually paying attention to the TV or just have it on as background noise. (Nielsen box users have to prove they are paying attention fairly often as they watch.) Please learn the basic facts about Nielsen, because you certainly don’t seem to know them now.

Comment by Alex – November 21, 2012 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • You could have had an informative post if you had left off the “Please learn the basic facts about Nielsen, because you certainly don’t seem to know them now.” Instead you come off as an a$$. You don’t have to be so rude to a person asking a simple question. Terri’s question basically asking why networks still rely on Nielsen so much when they are able to track through DVR playback, on demand, etc is a good one. Many of us avid tv watchers ask ourselves that same question all the time. With all the technology we have today Nielsen is an antiquated system and if I choose to post that I don’t need ‘Nielsen expert’ that just did a google search telling me I should learn the facts.

Comment by Kyle – November 24, 2012 12:02 AM PDT
    • DVR ratings do not help much as most people who watch on DVRs skip the commercials.

Comment by elf – November 21, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I’m glad they’re bringing these shows to a conclusion. Yeah, I’m kind of sad that “Last Resort” is ending (didn’t care for “666″) but I think there is room for more limited shows that are scheduled to only last one season or two. Trying to stretch out these mysteries for 5 or 7 seasons just gets frustrating and the finale inevitably disappoints. While I loved “Life On Mars”, it was great that it was one season (like it’s BBC counterpart) and while the finale kinda’ felt like a cheat, it still fit into every mystery that had been going on in the series, not forgetting half the previous plot points from 5 years ealier (ie “Lost”). Having it last 6 seasons and then only ending like it did would have been extremely disappointing.

Comment by beej – November 21, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happen to the days that if a show was struggling the tried it in a couple different slots before axing it, I like both shows don’t want to see either gone I get very reluctant to try new shows because of this

Comment by Joe – November 21, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good news but I really wonder how it’ll be possible for everything in Last Resort to be wrapped up and explained in one “tweaked” episode.

Comment by Jason Castleman (@lethargicj) – November 21, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was all a dream :)

Comment by Sara – November 22, 2012 06:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s something I guess. But honestly, I think 666 Park Avenue is fantastic. It has really intriguing plots, great cast members, and some spooky moments (which is a good thing!). Was shocked and really saddened when I heard it has been cancelled. I have been following Supernatural since Season 1, and once I’m a fan of a show, I don’t give it up easily, but even I feel Supernatural should have ended a while back. If Supernatural can still make it up till Season 8, I really don’t see why 666 Park Avenue can’t, given enough time. By the way, no disrespect to Supernatural fans, I still do tune in every week. In any case, looking forward to the remaining episodes!

Comment by Kevin – November 21, 2012 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m disappointed Last Resort wasn’t given a chance by changing its timeslot. It had tough, entrenched competition. I watched it On Demand or online at ABC just because I work in the evening. Both platforms have advertising. Why am I, and others like me, not counted in the ratings? I really love the show and will miss the characters.

Comment by Lilybop – November 21, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Those platforms are counted. They’re just not reported HERE.

If it has advertising, they’re counting it. They’re not getting those numbers out to ratings sites, but the network and the advertisers see them. So, you’re being counted by the people who fund the shows.

Clearly it wasn’t enough. I’ll miss Last Resort too. Oh well.

Comment by Ike – November 21, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to worry guys, we still have “Revolution” !!!!!!

/pukesforhours

I really tried with that show but there were several key moments where the female leads acting was so bad it pulled me out of the entire thing. This is going to be like the two and a half men new tv shows, completely undeserving, but throngs of bad taste americans lap it up.

Comment by Ty – November 21, 2012 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, Revolution is terrible. Was really hoping that 666 and LR would survive as those are my two favorite new shows.

Comment by Tim – November 21, 2012 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Revolution is a mediocre show, but its much better than the preposterous Last Resort (with no sense of consistent characters or good storylines), even with the lead girl who is actually charming and realistic now. You have very bad taste if you think LR is great.

Comment by John R – November 21, 2012 11:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, Miles is the real star of the show and Neville is the best new character this season.

Comment by John R – November 21, 2012 11:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Marcus,Andre Braugher…an excellent actor, I will miss his performance on that show !!!

Comment by alan – January 19, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …but I’d also add that I wouldn’t have minded one bit if “Political Animals” had lasted longer than it’s “Limited Series” 6 episodes.

Comment by beej – November 21, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no, my husband loves Last Resort. He’s going to be so sad!

Comment by NCSouthernBelle – November 21, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The basic plot of Last Resort seemed rather limited anyway. As much as I enjoy it, I can’t see that same plot dragging on through several seasons. For me, much of its appeal came from the fast-paced action and the tension building in the main story line. I’m glad we’ll get some closure.

Comment by Jan Wooters Bruce – November 21, 2012 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^ This. I wish networks realized that a short series, miniseries, whatever can be great. If Last Resort knew they got one season to tell their entire story the season would be tighter and audiences would be more invested knowing that they will get the whole story. I get the impression that cost is an issue with set designs and other investments more valuable spread over multiple seasons. Then again if shows just get canceled anyway there goes that initial investment out the window.

Comment by Hil – November 21, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the same thing about Revenge last year after the first few episodes. Then they completely spun me around and the show is even better this season. I think the creator has better vision than we do. I would have given it a chance.

Comment by Matt – November 21, 2012 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Neilsen ratings clearly over sample idiots. Just look at the high numbers for the CBS procedurals.

Comment by Jim – November 21, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CBS has older audiences and older audiences are less likely to time shift. Time shifting is masking the true number of audience. But audience numbers are only recorded to show advertisers how many people watch their ads and that sets the ad prices, fund the shows, etc. The ratings have less to do with popularity and more to do with how expensive ad slots are.

Comment by Hil – November 21, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Because of course, if you don’t like a show, that means that only idiots enjoy it. Sure.

Comment by Alex – November 21, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ah well that’s good at least. *sigh* I’ll take it . . .

Comment by angelstorm – November 21, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really bummed about 666 Park Avenue being canceled, but at least they have a chance to do a final episode. I can’t help but think that these kinds of shows would maybe do better if they were run like BBC shows where they get commissioned for a season, do a near completely storyline in that time period, and then if they get commissioned for another season they can do another storyline. In that way each season would be a complete thought not dependent on a show lasting five seasons. DVD box sets are also more sell-able even if they last only one season because they have an ending of sorts.

Comment by Hil – November 21, 2012 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Shows like “Strike Back” and “Hunted” are that way. Both are British shows.

Comment by Squishyallen – November 24, 2012 12:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • let’s hope that we’ll get dvd releases for both shows…

Comment by mac – November 21, 2012 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 666 was like a bad episode of “Supernatural” stretched out to infinity. I kept expecting Sam and Dean to pop up, solve the problem, snark outside the building by the Impala and drive off…

Comment by tracyg36 – November 21, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like both of these shows so I’m glad at least they are getting enough notice to turn them into series finales. 666 might have benefited from an earlier time slot…..just a little too creepy right before trying to go to sleep for me. I think Last Resort might have benefited from a latter time slot when more males might be watching.

Comment by Andie – November 21, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad about 666 Park avenue. Question – could someone please explain how they even take the ratings into consideration? What are nielsen ratings and how do you know if you have a ratings box? Also, I take it they only take US ratings into consideration, well they should start looking at canadian ratings since we watch every show broadcasted on us tv. I live in Canada but watch shows on CBS, ABC, FOX etc…… as does everyone else I know…so confused as to how this all works. (maybe they are looking at those ratings, i’m not sure) But regardless, this is 2012, they should figure out a better way!

Comment by JO – November 21, 2012 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, they shouldn’t look at ratings in Canada. You live in Canada. You make your purchases in Canada. TV shows here are mainly supported by commercials, though, which are paid for by OUR advertisers. You can learn the basics about ratings at tvbythenumbers.com and find out why most of your claims are ridiculous.

Comment by Alex – November 21, 2012 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow, so many people blaming the producer of Last Resort for having vision instead of blaming the ones who are actually responsible for the show being canceled, the audience.

Comment by Michael Sacal – November 21, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Too bad the ‘vision’ didn’t translate into good writing or acting.

Comment by John R – November 21, 2012 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 666 seemed more like a mini series to me in the first place tbh

Comment by Spike – November 21, 2012 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The major flaw in advertisers’ thinking is that people WATCH commercials during “live” broadcasts. I don’t think I’m the exception when I say that when I’m watching a “live” broadcast I use commercial time to go elsewhere and/or check emails, surf online, etc. The point is, rarely do I watch a commercial. It would be far more valid and in keeping with today’s television viewers if they took into account people that also watched online, since then you can’t skip watching the stupid commercials, if that’s their measuring stick.

Comment by Galelkethewind – November 21, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great point. In the rare case I watch something live, I am on my phone or tablet during the breaks. Another example of how antiquated the ratings system is.

Comment by Jim – November 21, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Psst, don’t tell the advertisers we’re not watching their ads! You’ll ruin all of the TV industry for everybody! They’re the ones paying for the dang shows, so SHUSH! ;)

Also, (legal) online viewers are counted. Those numbers just aren’t reported in the press. They keep them hidden for some reason. But nets and advertisers see them and presumably take them into account. The legal ones, anyway, not the pirated stuff, because that doesn’t have ads, and there’s no way to count that anyway.

Comment by ike7 – November 21, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly. I no longer have cable, so nothing I watch is live, but when I did I never watched the commercials. Now that I watch everything online, I can’t avoid them quite as much. I mute them and don’t really pay attention, but I’m probably getting more of the ads then I was before.

Comment by tripoli – November 21, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are SOME commercials that are really worth watching. But it’s also the perfect time to “go down the hall” (if you get my drift) so you don’t miss anything on the show.

Comment by Terri – November 21, 2012 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “The major flaw in advertisers’ thinking is that people WATCH commercials during “live” broadcasts.” Why do you jump to the conclusion that advertisers assume all live viewers watch the ads? Of course they know that many people don’t! But they also know that far more of them watch than do DVR viewers, who are notorious for skipping past the ads during playback. And online viewers are counted, BTW, and the networks are aware of what they watch.

Comment by Alex – November 21, 2012 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like it a lot if Vanessa Williams worked with Marc Cherry again and went to Devious Maids on Lifetime. I was hoping that once Housewives was over that Cherry would offer her a role on Maids as one of the employers. It is possible that he did and she may have turned him down to work on 666, but hopefully Cherry is still willing to take her back.

Comment by Arie – November 21, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Vanessa Williams has a holding deal with ABC meaning she is contracted and paid to work for ABC only :)

Comment by Daniel – November 22, 2012 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy to hear that they at least will offer the fans of both shows a chance to end them properly, something ABC doesn’t do very often. Possibly both shows will receive decent numbers for the rest of their runs. I love 666PA, not so much LR, which started out with much intrigue, but quickly fell into an improbably scenarios, IMO. I will be looking forward to Terry O’Quinn returning to H5-0 as Joe White.

Comment by JJ – November 21, 2012 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They haven’t ever shown anymore of the episodes of 666 Park Avenue though, like they said they were going to.

Comment by Kayla – February 28, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame they didn’t pair up 666 with GCB. Now that would have been a double feature!

Comment by BTM – November 21, 2012 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. ABC’s least watched night of the week.

Comment by TV Gord – November 21, 2012 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Paul Ang,

You stick a great horror show on Sunday night at 10, after people have watched football all day and are too tired to stay awake, knowing they have to get up early for work….and you fault the show for its “live” viewing numbers? Hey Paul, “monetize” *this,* you #$%& imbecile. Get with the realities of life and TV viewing in the 21st century. And don’t stick a new drama you *want* to succeed on at 10pm Sunday night. It ain’t gonna work. Good grief.

Comment by Jason – November 21, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Make that “Paul Lee,” not Ang.

I’m “ang”ry.

Comment by pantheralumguy – November 21, 2012 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Huh? This complaint doesn’t make any sense. It’s a horror drama, how is it supposed to air earlier than 10 p.m.? ABC’s more conservative viewers (or just the chickensh*t types who are too terrified to watch even a tame horror show like this) would freak out. Where is it supposed to air? Everybody complains about every possible time slot. Each time slot has something horribly wrong with it and no matter where you put it, somebody is going to complain up a storm. There’s also football on Monday and Thursday nights; meanwhile Friday and Saturday have very low viewership. Is ABC supposed to put all of your favorite shows on Tuesday and Wednesdays only? OK, sure, whatever you say!

Comment by ike7 – November 21, 2012 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree (and I’ll forgive you for the “wrong name/transposing incident”–LOL!). Saturday nights used to be a great night for comedies and family shows. There’s nothing on Saturday nights now for families or anyone else–just stupid repeats. Sunday nights? Well, when there’s football all day on TV on Sundays now (as opposed to Monday night football), everyone’s too drunk, tired, etc., to watch any shows. Is ABC too stupid to realize that? Don’t answer that. I already know the answer!

Comment by Terri – November 21, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort wasn’t even given a fair time slot. And who watches live TV anymore. They need — whoever “they” is — need to reevaluate how they calculate viewership.

Comment by Trista – November 21, 2012 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Simple reason for this – they will then be able to sell the entire season on dvd

Comment by Ivan – November 21, 2012 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Some sites like these have absolutely no idea how ratings work. Just read tvbythenumbers and pay attention to no one else. Sites like this site go on about the DVR. The ratings for 666 park avenue were horrific. Every serial show does well in the DVR. Every ten pm show does well in the DVR. Advertisers only care who records a show within three days and watches the commercials. Live ratings are what counts. DVR, on demand, internet are just ways to make extra money. But the live ratings decide what show will make it or not. The show was getting a dreadful 1.2. It had to be canceled. ABC did not mess up at all. Anyone who thinks they did, doesn’t have a clue about ratings. You think ABC didn’t know how the show was doing in DVR before? A 77 percent bump for a show that gets a 1.2 is not that much. Any low rated show has a huge percentage bump. These sites have to stop with the DVR. It’s embarrassing already.

Comment by Joe – November 21, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THANK YOU. Your comment is one of the few on this page that make any sense at all. I’m tired of reading whining and moaning from clueless, entitled viewers who have no idea about how the ratings work yet think they’re geniuses who would fix every network problem with their own supposed brilliant programming decisions. They certainly have big egos!

Comment by Alex – November 21, 2012 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha! You’re hilarious!! We the “entitled viewer” !! LOL. What the heck is that supposed to mean? We ARE the bread and butter of the networks. And yes, we ARE entitled to good quality shows that WE want to watch. And the shows deserve a chance to pick up a following. With sooo many new shows that premiere, it takes a while for people to try out the new stuff. That’s fine if networks want to cancel shows. Fine. But wait till the end of the year to do it maybe. If you premiere a show in Oct then cancel it in Nov….woah! slow down. Give it till the end of the year. Geesh! Some shows take a bit to be found and loved. But 4 weeks is not enough time. The only thing I think is that the network wasn’t behind it. Look at Nashville. The beloved darling of the critics. But it has steadily dropped in the ratings each week. By the end of the year, it’ll have 666 & Last Resort numbers.

Comment by Squishyallen – November 24, 2012 12:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Nobody cares what show you watch or like. The advertisers are the customers for the networks, not the audience. If you skip the commercials, then your show will be cancelled. I agree with the OP.

Comment by John – November 26, 2012 12:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame that this two tv show will end so fast was very nice shows :(

Comment by Herryw0w – November 21, 2012 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Broadcast Network are at a stand still. Their set on a course for slow death. They represent the old phrase “TV is the idiot Box”. Cable is getting all glory in this Golden Age of TV since it the only one contributing.

If the network really want to catch up with cable TV creatively. They need put the networks through a little purgatory for wasting the last decade.

1. Serialized TV needs to be judged differently rating wise then procedural’s
    2. Execution is key to close the gap not explicit content
    3. Open summer schedule up for experiment shows that follow the cable model

Comment by George – November 21, 2012 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though I loved Last Resort’s pilot, I don’t really care how it ends. Granted, I’ll still watch, but to me, the show doesn’t merit renewal. Care to show where you’re going at the end of the pilot?

Comment by Derek Johnson – November 21, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you.

Comment by John R – November 22, 2012 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Plain and simple ABC should have swapped NASHVILLE with 666 PARK AVENUE. Just like THE MIDDLE would be better paired with MALIBU COUNTRY or even LAST MAN STANDING instead of the horrible, horrible THE NEIGHBORS. LAST RESORT would have been better swapped with PRIVATE PRACTICE. It’s not rocket science but the real idiots are the people programming the networks. Look at the hit CBS took by moving 2 1/2 MEN off Mondays. They would have done better moving 2 BROKE GIRLS to Thursday instead. It’s too new to anchor a night. If I was an ABC programmer, I would be ashamed giving THE NEIGHBORS a full season and not giving the other two shows a fairer chance!

Comment by CJ – November 21, 2012 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to get closure on 666!

Comment by N – November 21, 2012 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It beats LOST. 666 should go to the CW,

Comment by JOEG – November 23, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • not surprised about 666. i watched it but it got mired in the soap opera stuff.

Last Resort’s cancellation surprised me but i did wonder how they were going to stretch it out and why. i agree that i just should have been a mini series (but then i’m also one of those who feel Lost would have been a good mini series also–the longer you stretch these shows out, the weaker they become).

Comment by mpmp0 – November 21, 2012 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC also didn’t schedule any press for 666 Park Ave and Last Resort. Hayden Panettiere was everywhere telling us about Nashville and guess what show is still on the air? Nashville is awful. One episode and I couldn’t come back.

Comment by DivaM – November 21, 2012 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you that the majority of the people posting, are posting intelligent comments about the demise of scripted TV whether you were a fan of these shows or not. What happened to the comment in the comment section about “let’s talk smart about TV and stop with the selling of leather goods?” from this site? Have they given up? Let’s talk intelligently about Neilsen ratings, good and bad, and find a solution. The networks can’t, so maybe the fans of TV can.

Comment by Can't we do better? – November 21, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC should get their head examined – both of these shows are great shows and they should not be cancelled the plot just keeps building and building; giving them the axe is not the answer the execs are scared that these are going to outdo other shows like Revenge. These are good shows leave them alone

Comment by Jason Pachar – November 21, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish this article had clarified the fact that DVR viewership is worth little, given the fact that the vast majority of DVR viewers SKIP the commercials that pay for the programming costs in the first place.

Comment by Alex – November 21, 2012 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank u ABC for giving fans closure….CBS could learn from ABC, they NEVER give closure to their shows, no respect for viewers at all.

Comment by Grace – November 21, 2012 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am behind on Last Resort but I caught up by watching the negotiation episode yesterday. Great show. I’ve been thinking ever since “V” though that the networks should take show like “V”, ‘Last Resort”, and “Missing”, and announce them as miniseries. If ratings are a smash, then extend them, but if they only tow the line, keep to the original plan of ending them at 13, and that makes room for your next thing. It’s that some of these premises aren’t great dragged on, even though they are original.

Comment by Ryan – November 21, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is a great idea to end with 13 episodes with a proper conclusion!

I do not get why fans are upset! Sure 13 seems little, but at least these series will not be dragging on until you fans turn against the show and quit eventually.

Also, instead of two failures, you can see them as 2 mini-series with a beginning, middle and end. Isn’t that the whole purpose of watching television for entertainment? Why would people keep wanting a lot of episodes, thinking somehow that length has something to do with how “successful” or how much joy you can derive from watching television?

Comment by OMG – November 21, 2012 11:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sad that these shows were canceled, they had potential, but I am grateful that they will receive some sort of ending. This is why I try not to watch a new show until it at least gets a back nine but usually not until they get a full season order unless it has hit written all over it. I’ll typically watch the premieres of the new shows that interest me the most and monitor their ratings for the ones I liked the best and if the numbers are good and not in cancellation territory then I’ll start watching. For everything else that peaks my interest I wait until there is news of a pickup.
    I agree with the people saying that some shows are better suited to a mini-series format and if they do well then a series order. It would be better for the viewers who would be guaranteed an ending for a show and the networks would save money. Last year I somehow became addicted to Korean dramas and I like how they do their shows. Most of the kdramas are 16-50 episodes with the majority being around 20. If a show with 16 episode order is doing well in the ratings then it will get an extension and that is it. There are a few examples of shows doing multiple seasons but for the most part the whole story is told in about 20 episodes. Which is why I like them. They also air their shows twice a week and can have a lot of product placement and from what I understand its how most shows are financed. There are the Mon.-Tues., Weds.-Thurs. and the Sat.-Sun. (which are typically longer and around 30 episodes) shows. There is no dragging a show out to 5,6 7 etc. seasons that originally had enough story for about 3. Some of their shows are really good and could rival some of the best American shows and some are a little more cheesy. It can take a couple of kdramas to understand their humor and culture and what not but be warned once you start it can become a very addicting habit. Its good for in the summer or when most shows are on hiatus. After I marathoned all the ones that interested me on Netflix and Hulu, I started watching currently airing ones that seemed good. Hulu has a lot of them up and subbed a day or so after they air and there are a few streaming sites that sub kdramas.
    Sorry for the kdrama rant I just find their TV system interesting and it could translate to American TV especially for new shows if they used that model and if they are successful, pick it up for another season but always tell a full story. I know it wouldn’t work for all shows but the American TV and ratings system needs an overhaul.

Comment by Red Snapper – November 22, 2012 02:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • GREAT!! I’ll watch them now. I only watched & liked the pilots, but didn’t want to invest in them (learned my lesson)

Comment by Sara – November 22, 2012 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Last Resort. I wish it was not cancelled.

Comment by Kelly – November 22, 2012 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Last Resort and was going to give it up knowing it was cancelled, but now that I know it will wrap up properly I am happy again. I always thought the story lent itself to more of a mini series. Hard to keep a story like that going.

Comment by Gerald – November 22, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post