Matt's Inside Line on Criminal Minds, POI, Glee, Castle, Horror Story, Chicago Fire and More!

Will the Criminal Minds realize they’re being watched? What will happen when Person of Interest digs Root back up? What could bring Karofsky back to Glee? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

Criminal Minds | The matter of this season’s big bad — a serial killer replicating the MOs of captured unsubs — will soon be revisited. And considering how collectively smart the BAU team is, don’t expect this stealthy stalker to go unnoticed for too much longer. “I think you’ll see that it gets put together pretty quickly,” Joe Mantegna tells me. “And it’s going to be something that I think the fans will appreciate because it gives you that other impetus of like, ‘OK. Now where are we going with this thing?’” Also on the horizon at the CBS crime drama is what A.J. Cook calls a “really big JJ episode,” directed by Thomas Gibson. “I think that after we got to see her kick some serious ass in the season finale, they were like, ‘Oh, we didn’t know you were good at that’ — so we’re going to see her kick a little more ass,” Cook reveals. “We’re also going to see her do something we’ve never seen her do before that may get her into trouble.”

RELATED | Gossip Girl Bad Girl Books Criminal Minds Stalker Gig

Person of Interest | As she herself taunted Reese, Sam Groves aka the “Root” of all kinds of evil is not done with her pursuit of the Machine just yet – and what’s more, the worst is yet to come. “I make it back eventually, later in the season,” Amy Acker tells TVLine. “And when I do, it’s a roller coaster of lots of trouble…. A lot of stuff escalates.” Until then, might Acker use her free time to lens a role on ABC’s S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot, as many Whedonverse fans hope? “I don’t think so,” she laments, noting that, among other considerations, “I’m inbetween the age ranges of the parts.” Should ABC order the Marvel-ous project to series, “Hopefully I’ll get to do something,” she shares. “I think they’re putting together a pretty great cast, and I’m excited to watch it.” (POI returns with new episodes – and guest star Mark Pellegrino — on Nov. 29.)

RELATED | Person of Interest Recruits Army Husband to Woo Detective Carter

American Horror Story: Asylum | Now that [SPOILER ALERT!] the identity of Bloody Face has been revealed, prepare to get inside the murderous maniac’s head – as well as a few others. The next episode, ‪titled “The Origins of Monstrosity‬,” “really dives into a lot of the roots of the characters in this world,” says Zachary Quinto, who plays the duplicitous Dr. Thredson, “so a lot of things will become clearer and probably even more disturbing.” Having played an owner of Season 1′s Murder House and now a vile shrink, is Quinto up for a third turn on the FX drama à la Jessica Lange? “I’m sure I’ll get a call at some point,” he ventures.

RELATED | Horror Story’s Sarah Paulson on the Big Reveal and What Comes Next: ‘It Gets Worse

Glee | Although EP Brad Falchuk told us he considers the Dave Karofsky storyline to be “finished,” with “no more story to tell,” Max Adler remains hopeful that his character will be revisited… at some point. Reflecting on what was possibly his final appearance, after Dave attempted suicide, Adler acknowledges “in the flash-forward scene in the hospital, they do show you that he can be happy and he’ll meet a man of his dreams and have a boy and be successful. So they do kind of tie things up in a nice way. But I’m in love with the character and as the actor, I would have always like to see more.” For example? “I would have liked to see how he deals with his parents afterwards and where he ends up going to school, if his relationship with Kurt continues…,” the actor offers. With a nod to Season 4′s Big Apple-based narrative, he adds: “Maybe Karofsky will pop up in New York! We’ll see.”

PHOTOS | It’s a Very Castle Christmas

Castle | “Meredith’s moving in!” Darby Stanchfield says with a laugh, as the Scandal cast member teases her January 2013 Castle encore as Rick’s ex-wife. “She’s packed her bags and she’s back!” OK, some context: Mer makes camp at Rick’s when their daughter Alexis falls ill with mono. Thing is, Kate is also crashing there at the time, while her apartment is fumigated. As you can imagine, it all adds up to awesome awkwardness. Does Castle even try to conceal his new, workplace romance? “It’s pretty obvious,” Stanchfield previews, “so we get way past that right away.”

Sitcom Quickies | The Big Bang Theory‘s Sheldon apparently has unfinished business with Santa Claus, and it will be dealt with in Episode 11l, “The Santa Simulation.” And it may or may not involve a shotgun…. Here’s a “super” in-joke you won’t see anytime soon, now that CBS’ Partners has been pulled from the schedule. The 13th episode was going to make a teen-tiny (microscopic, really) nod to Brandon Routh’s Superman past when Wyatt and Louis look into having a child via surrogate, and the former’s swimmers and deemed so strong, the doc says, “They’re wearing little capes!”

And now, a few questions from the Inside Line mailbag…..

I’m so excited that Chicago Fire got a full season! Now do you have any scoop on when Sarah Shahi joins the show? –Lisa
You can expect Shahi’s undoubtedly bee-a-YOU-ti-ful businesswoman to start heating things up with Taylor Kinney’s Lt. Severide starting Dec. 12, for at least six episodes.

Do you have anything on Parenthood‘s Julia and Joel? Their storyline doesn’t seem to get much coverage. –Danyelle
If you thought we were on the verge of a breakthrough with Victor — you know, in the wake of his happy playdate with a pal from the old nabe and Julia firing up some Rosetta Stone — think again. The difficult lad has at least one more (rather despicable) bit of acting out left in his bag of tricks.

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (64)

• I decided to check out Chicago fire this weekend on demand and was surprised I actually like it. I added it to my season recordings. (I did mid the pilot though)

Comment by leah – November 19, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m kind of falling for Chicago Fire and have added it to my prayer list to TV Gods I’ve never wanted a character to die so badly as in that show. Hahah ;)

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 19, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i want dave to come back. buut i dont want anything to happen between kurt and him. its always gonna be klaine

Comment by Tori – November 22, 2012 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. Criminal Minds. Scoop. EVER! I’m so excited about this JJ episode now! I’m thinking she’ll break some kind of major rule? Because she’s always been some kind of rule follower! I’ve been hoping for a major JJ episode — she and Rossi are my favorite, and we just got a Rossi episode — and yaaaaay!!!! I’m dancing! <3

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 19, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • See I like Media Liason JJ better than kick-ass super-profiler JJ. And part of me wants to think that it’s because of Prentiss leaving but they changed JJ’s character before They knew Paget was leaving. And while I’ve always loved Emily, she never did kick ass quite like they have JJ doing. In fact she got her own ass kicked more times than I can count.

Comment by jules – November 25, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What I love the most about JJ is how multi-dimensional she is. She’s been kick-ass long before they knew Prentiss was going to leave. The first time she killed someone was Garcia’s shooter from Penelope and we got a glimpse of that. It was like, “Hey, JJ is this media liasion sweet girl how deals with families and is sensitive and kind, but she can defend her own.”

I love that JJ can empathize with the families, can sit and just about cry with them, and then turn around and burst into the house with the guns and get the psycho! I think A LOT of what’s missing in those shows is how the characters don’t GROW. JJ has been, by far, the character who’s grown the most in the show. She’s become a mother, a profiler, she has’t lost her essence, and she’s always adding up to awesomeness.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 26, 2012 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brooke D’Orsay is returning to Two and a Half Men? Will she play the same character as she did back in 2007?

Comment by robinepowell – November 19, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Alright! This season on Criminal Minds has been really GOOD!

Comment by DYH – November 19, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the POI scoop about Root.

Comment by lll – November 19, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dave Karofsky meeting Kurt in New York would be the best thing ever!

Comment by Daniel – November 19, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO

Comment by Matt – November 19, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe he’ll wear a dinosaur costume this time

Comment by Tp – November 19, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • mte!

Comment by kurt – November 19, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol max adler tbh.

Comment by Matt – November 19, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Rude. I love Max and Dave Karofsky. I hope they revive him. His and Kurt’s relationship was one of the most interesting story lines Glee ever did, and there is so much more good milage there. But if there is one thing Glee is good at, it’s letting a good thing go to waste.

Comment by RachelA – November 19, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • God, I know. I <3 him so much. And he and Chris as Dave and Kurt have more chemistry and depth in just one of their scenes, than Klaine has their whole relationship. And it'd be so easy to bring him back and develop him further, but Glee never does what it should with what it has.

Comment by Ian – November 19, 2012 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • lol

Comment by Kurtofsky is gross – November 21, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Klaine (aka “attempted-rape-and-later-cheating-is-okay-as-long-as-the-perpetrator-is-sooo-cuuute-and-they-both-are-pretty”) is both superficial and gross

Comment by Leo – November 22, 2012 06:08 AM PDT
    • MTE. Let it go dude.

Comment by ash – November 20, 2012 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s just getting sad at this point.

Comment by Ann – November 21, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No what’s sad is having a character attempt suicide and then never seeing him or even mentioning him ever again. Glee did such an injustice to Dave and they should at least attempt right it at some point. But oh wait, i forgot, Klainers are nutty and go into hysterics at the very mention of Dave b/c why should a character who was suicidal get any attention when Blaine is having *gasp* hair-gel problems? Amirite? #LOLKlainers

Comment by RachelA – November 21, 2012 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely interested to see Amy Acker back on POI, though I’m really wondering when she’ll pop up again in OUAT. Seems like there’s quite a bit of unfinished business there…

Comment by wordsmith – November 19, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t remember who she was on OUAT. Can you help me out please?

Comment by tp – November 19, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Amy was the fairy that was in love with Grumpy. His name was Dreamy at the time. They were forbidden from seeing each other and he became angry as a result, hence the name change.

Comment by lll – November 19, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And then they met up again in Storybrooke when she was an absent-minded nun and he was the local handyman, and they flirted a little bit but didn’t quite connect (her being a nun and all…)

Comment by wordsmith – November 19, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Max is too kind to the Glee writers. Not sure how Kurt’s future-fantasy for Dave Karofsky is supposed to help him graduate high school out and friendless, or sustain him after discharge from hospital when he has to return home to a mother who wants him cured of The Gay. “So they do kind of tie things up in a nice way”? Ehm. No. Not tied up at all. Hoping to see Dave Karofsky in NY: a retrospective on how (if) he made it out of Lima alive would be nice, at the very least. And at best? Love them or hate them, the Kurt/Karofsky scenes were always riveting and generated loads of critical acclaim and fan buzz. Potential for more scenes like that might even convince me to start watching again.

Comment by Melanie – November 19, 2012 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I share your exact same thoughts… a part of me doesn’t want Dave back at Glee, simply because I don’t want to feel compelled to watch any episode of that show ever again (quit after OMW)… yet if they bring him back I just hope is with a decent plot… both Chris and Max certainly have the acting chops…

Comment by Carl – November 20, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm, so both Castle and Bones have sorta unwelcome house guests now.

Comment by 1mars – November 19, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wow they are both using the time honoured storyline of the unwelcome house guest, this blatant reaching by bones fans to complain at how castle is “copying” bones is starting to get boring

Comment by Alan – November 19, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thanx for poi scoop and.giving return date i dont understand why cbs could not give it after.last weeks ep and acker looks younger then she is so i dont think her age should stand in the way of getting a part on sheild if she wants it. castle sounds like it should be.a very funny ep

Comment by ollie – November 19, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my complaint about the Julia/Joel plot line is not THE plot line, but that their plot lines hardly ever intersect with the other bravermans!! adam, crosby and sarah have had pretty consistent and significant interaction with one another while julia is just like there on special occasions. she’s totally the odd one out. except for that time she was there for her dad at the hospital you wouldn’t know she was the 4th sibling at all! ok, rage time over. still love parenthood.

Comment by cjeffery7 – November 19, 2012 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @ Matt Mitovich,

Matt, Are we PARTNERS fans EVER going to see those 12 episodes that I know were filmed?? We loved this show because it was truly funny, sweet and adorable, IMO. Too sad many people never even gave it a chance. And this scoop for the 13th episode sounds AMAZING, especially for me as a big Louis/Wyatt fan. Really hope that CBS shows some mercy on us fans and some day soon they allow us to see (and own on DVD) all the 12/13 episodes. Big, sad Partners fans from California.

Comment by CB – November 19, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They will likely release the full first 12 episodes on DVD next year. Simma down now! LOL. Seriously, I know what you are feeling. My beloved yet cancelled show was “GCB”. Cancelled too soon, with no real conclusion. I feel confident that you, too, will get your DVD release. :)

Comment by Stephen V – November 19, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • @Stephen V: Hope you’re right!

Comment by CB – November 20, 2012 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited for JJ episode, earlier in the season something was said about it… and I reckon the ‘trouble’ she refers to is perhaps being her being help captured or doing something to save some one else?

Comment by Haz – November 19, 2012 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think JJ will probaby kill someone in the line of duty – unchartered waters for her?

Comment by Suncatcher – November 19, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She already killed Garcia’s attacker from the episode Penelope.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 19, 2012 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Darn it! You are absolutely right! I completely forgot about that! Thanks for the facts!

Comment by Suncatcher – November 20, 2012 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really, really dislike SuperBadAssJJ. I liked the old JJ much better.

Comment by eds – November 19, 2012 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s still both! JJ is still all heart. In the episode about the little boy who didn’t speak we got to see the JJ that is all heart.

Comment by Barbie Furtado – November 19, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Her bit in the opening credits is so pretentious and not criminal minds-y. “Look at me, I can kick and spin and wow!!!”

Comment by Pepper – November 19, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^THIS!

Comment by Slash Goggles – November 19, 2012 10:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The deep fried twinkie is back. Should be fun!

Comment by Steph – November 19, 2012 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • $20 says that castle will question why his daughter has the ‘kissing disease’

Comment by Ashley – November 26, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • looking forward to seeing all the awkward interactions coming up on castle — and not just between castle/beckett/meredith, but alexis too. seems she’s got some intricate sets of feelings towards both women in her life that haven’t quite come to a head yet.

Comment by Ella B. – November 19, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am not happy with Zachary Quinto being Bloody Face. I figured it out the episode before. I absolutely love him but I am tired of him playing “bad guys”. Can’t wait to see his second turn as Spock.

Comment by Debbie – November 19, 2012 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Fairly Legal was canceled I really hope that Sarah Shahi gets a regular role in Chicago Fire (and of course, I’d love this show gets a second season, although it’s too early to talk about renewals/cancellations)

Comment by Nerdbot – November 19, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Max is a brilliant Actor! I really hope he will be back for Glee, Dave Karofskys Storyline is not finished I really don’t know why they think leaving a Character like this is “finished with no more Story to tell” ……

Comment by Silke Kohlmorgen – November 19, 2012 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Max Adler coming back to Glee is literally the only thing that could make me a regular viewer of that show again.

Comment by thefirstmrshummel – November 19, 2012 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FINALLY some Criminal Minds scoop!! I’ve been craving this for WEEKS! :D
    I’m gonna sleep well tonight…

Comment by Lokun – November 19, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would be great to see how Karofsky faired post-graduation. Max Adler is one of the best actors Glee’s had. His chemistry w/ Chris Colfer is palpable, and their storyline has been the most riveting on the show. If he’s back, well, then so am I.

Comment by Melissa – November 19, 2012 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Casey to ditch the fiancé on Chicago fire! In the scenes with Dawson it seems more like natural chemistry.

Comment by Beth – November 19, 2012 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Absolutely! CF would definitely get an A for making Casey and Dawson realize that.

Comment by dettitted – November 20, 2012 05:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who does NOT want Evan and Paige to get married? I desperately want Evan and Divya together, I have since season 1.

Comment by Ella – November 19, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy to see Max Adler and Dave Karofsky appear once again on TVLine. Thank you Matt and Michael! I don’t think the Glee writers really understood the impact of abandoning Dave’s story after OMW. They left too many unanswered questions about his future and they dropped one of the most interesting characters and emotional story lines that Glee has tried to tell. They also dropped one of the best actors on the show. The scenes between Kurt and Dave were always the most powerful. I really hope they decide to bring Max back to Glee (and not just for a cameo). Dave’s story should be told and if that takes him to NYC, all the better!

Comment by Gary – November 19, 2012 08:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I dropped Glee when they dropped Max, but if they decide to bring him back, and not just for a cameo, but to finally FINALLY finish his story arc, and in a DECENT way, not just swept under the rug kinda thing… I’d be back. If it has more Max and Chris interaction, then… I’d DEFINITELY be back! Anyone know how Glee is fairing with viewers? I’m sure it could do with a few hundred more with Dave back fir good!

Comment by TRMJ – November 20, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This situation on Castle is going to be hilarious! lol

Comment by Mari – November 20, 2012 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Max Adler would stop embarrassing himself.

Comment by John – November 21, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wish you haters would stop embarrassing yourselves. This irrational dislike of his character that some Glee fans have is just idiotic. Max did a great job bringing that character to life, and his storyline was cutoff very prematurely. It would do the show a lot of good to bring him back.

Comment by RachelA – November 21, 2012 06:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @John you, nasty hypocrite hater; may stop embarrassing yourself over the blind fanatism for a character who turned out to be a worthless cheater (you know who)… but why do you feel so threatened? is already clear that the writers in the end will make Kurt come back to him, probably even making Kurt apologize (again) for not accepting his “cheating lapse”… “ohh Kurt, how dare you? you’re already soo lucky for having had such a perfect boyfriend (even if he tried to rape you while drunk, but that’s irrelevant, because he’s so sexy!)” :P … will this please you? ;)

Comment by Rod – November 22, 2012 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was supposed to be an episode with JJ going undercover in Criminal Minds, but they have scrapped it for now :(

Comment by HannahC – November 23, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im so happy chicago fire was picked up for a full season absolutly love this show thks nbc

Comment by debbie – November 29, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hear that Brooke D’Orsay may be getting a recurring role on Two and a Half Men. If so, what will happen to her character on Royal Pains? –Nancy For one, I can confirm that D’Orsay’s Men role — as a love interest for Walden — will in fact be a recurring one. That said, I am also assured that her Royal Pains status will remain unaffected – which is a relief, since Paige and Evan are due to tie the knot in next month’s two-hour movie.

Are you kidding me? Royal Pains is renewed for two years at only 13 episodes a year. A full season has as many as 22 episodes. That leaves her the time for up to 9 episodes on another show and still get her summer off for other offers. She has plenty of time to do both shows, as USA does not do a full season on nearly any of their offerings!

Comment by AcuraT – November 30, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post