Ratings: Big Bang Theory Draws a Record Crowd, Vampire Diaries Drops, Glee Dips

Get More: News, Ratings

Big Bang Ratings Hit Series HighStop us if you’ve heard this one before, but… The Big Bang Theory this Thursday drew its largest audience ever — 17.4 million viewers — while scoring a season-high 5.5 demo rating (up 8 percent week-to-week).

The CBS hitcom of course had just last week tied its previous all-time high in total audience, with 16.7 mil.

Leading out of the ever-bigger Bang, Two and a Half Men (13.9 million viewers, 4.1 rating) rose a tenth in the demo to its own season high. Person of Interest (14.5 mil/3.1) also hit a season high, gaining two tenths to tie Grey’s Anatomy. Elementary (10.7 mil/2.3) capped CBS’ night by inching up a tenth.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: The Prodigal Yang Returns

Over on ABC, Last Resort — with what was buzzed to be a make-or-break episode, full-season pick-up-wise — dipped just a smidgen to 5.8 mil/1.3. Grey’s Anatomy (8.7 mil/3.1) slipped 6 percent, while Scandal (6.1 mil/2.1) rose two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | Scandal Recap: ‘It’s Getting Weird in Here’

The CW’s Vampire Diaries (2.8 mil/1.2) dropped 20 percent in the demo, while Beauty and the Beast (1.6 mil/0.6) slipped a tenth.

RELATED | Vampire Diaries Recap: Confessions of the Heart

Fox’s The X Factor — which last Thursday faced The Voice — rose 15 and 4 percent to 7.3 mil/2.4. Leading out of that, Glee (5.3 mil/2.1) was down 7 and 12 percent.

RELATED | Glee Recap: They Went Back to Ohio

Lastly, NBC’s 30 Rock (4.4 mil/1.2) was flat, Up All Night (3.12 mil/1.3) dipped 7 percent, The Office (4.2 mil/2.0) inched up (from its last outing with a normal lead-in) and Parks and Recreation (3.6mil/1.7) held steady.

What were you tuned into this Thursday?

Comments (66)

• Big Bang was so great last night. I loved the episode, it was laugh out loud funny!

Comment by Betty – November 16, 2012 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Best show on TV network right now

Comment by TV fan – November 16, 2012 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agree TBBT was especially good. I’ve given up on Grey’s after last night’s episode. It’s become too silly for me. The writing is really bad. It’s clear the show is past it’s time.

Comment by Gayle – November 16, 2012 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed on Grey’s. the show needs to end.

Comment by Billy bob – November 16, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i agree, GA is no more a serial but a soap opera, it becomes boring and nonsense :(

Comment by martina – November 16, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man, BBT is unstoppable! I’m fully expecting headlines 10 years from now, “BBT hits record high with 47 million viewers, insiders expect the network will indeed order a 16th season” lol
    But it was especially good last night, so kudos to them!

Comment by Becks – November 16, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s Big Bang Theory was excellent, felt like season 2 or 3. Wonder what accounts for the jump in viewers…

Comment by Alex – November 16, 2012 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Syndication saturation.

Comment by meem – November 16, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It felt like a season 2-3 because it was only original cast. Which was really nice, while I love Bernadette and Amy, it’s nice to see just gang hijinks again. Also how sweet was Penny’s I love you.

Comment by Lenoradgirl – November 16, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, I really liked last night because it was just the main gang. I have gotten tried of Amy and Bernny seems to have just kind of fading away.

Comment by TC – November 16, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I TOO LOVED PENNY’S “I LOVE YOU”! I gotta tell you though, I was cringing as I watched Leonard turn into an insecure, petty, clingy boyfriend. I was fully expecting Penny to break up with him i the hallway – and then she finally said “I love you”. . . . . . . . . gee wiz, I am starting to tear up a little just writing about it.

Plus, Sheldon’s wormhole scene was epic! I was a litle disappointed with the hackeysack, though. I would have preferred something else like maybe him contacting his home planet and giving them an update or Amy being in the room and the two of them going at it like bunnies.

Comment by davej – November 16, 2012 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • penny’s character without any intention, emasculates leonard. thats not what a relationship is supposed to be about.

Comment by don – December 21, 2012 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ugh. I want Penny and Leonard to break up. She offers nothing, she is nothing and has no ambition, she’s rude and arrogant and a user of people.

Comment by GoGiants – November 16, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • May I ask where you’re getting this idea from? I don’t see her as being rude, arrogant, or a user at all.

Comment by Summer – November 16, 2012 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • She’s endlessly tender to and tolerant of Sheldon. She mothers him when he’s at his most vulnerable and doesn’t hold grudges. I’d say that adds up to a good deal of worthiness.

Comment by Tansy – November 17, 2012 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • penny is the only woman that can handle sheldon and sheldon is the only man that can handl penny. do the math

Comment by don – December 21, 2012 06:43 AM PDT
    • Probably because it was the best on Tv last night. We watch the reuns and still laugh. It is the only laugh out loud show on Tv. I just love each character and each actor that plays them is perfect. Course Amy and Sheldon are just the best couple; unique in every way.

Comment by mel – November 16, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beauty has been improving by leaps and bounds! Sad to see a bit of a drop. Kristin and Jay are smokin’ together

Comment by Sharie – November 16, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by Autumn – November 16, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • +1… I really hope the CW renews it

Comment by mia – November 16, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay fer CBS!!!!! My wife and I watch CBS on the tee vee all night last night cuz thems got good shows!!!! They gots good comedies that has laugh tracks so you know when thems are funny not like dumb comedy shows that dont has them. They also got them good crime drama storyplots for they’re hour drama shows. My wife and I likes them cuz there always be some suspects and we get to try and guess who does done it. Them good crime dramas gots them a new storyplots each week so our brains don’t start hurtin tryins to remember stuffs. That’s how good tee vee shows should be not dumb likes other shows. Someday I’m gonna gets me a GED and become a CBS scripts writer. That’d be good neat!!!!

Comment by CBS fan – November 16, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL, @CBS Fan, I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not, but I was laughing so hard… :D

Comment by Pinky – November 16, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is your wife also your sister?

Comment by Tansy – November 16, 2012 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal last night was good!!! Glad it’s always either steady or ticks up :)

Comment by Tedi – November 16, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What they need to do is shift Two and a Half Men back to Mondays, try and launch a new sitcom after BBT.

Comment by Brendan M – November 16, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, I gotta admit that I didn’t expect to like Beast but Kristin and Jay’s chem is addictive, that’s why I tune in. I look forward to seeing what they’re gonna do next every week. TVD was same old same old. Haven’t Elena and Stephan broken up a few times now, blah. Now we’ll have to listen to her whine about that for a couple episodes. If you think this means an instant Damen hook up you’re dreaming. Plec is gonna milk this for everything she can get.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 16, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Beauty and the Beast doesn’t get a season 2, it will be my heartbreaker for this year. And I sneered when they announced they were going to remake this show. Go figure.

Comment by Renee – November 16, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can tell you why The Vampire Diaries has dropped, Elena (this season more than others) has become a non-stop whiner. Who wants to watch a series where the heroine is all “woe is me” all the time? By contrast, Caroline has accepted who she is and in return has become a badass heroine.
    Advice for Elena: You’re a vampire now, get over it.

Comment by Jon – November 16, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh but the brothers are going to “cure” her……how lame is that. Caroline and friends are the reason why I watch, IDC at all about the rest.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 16, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, they keep talking about how being a vampire amplifies your feelings, well Elena’s whiny streak has been amplified by a thousand! Just shut up already!
        The show has also been much darker and depressing this year, I really don’t enjoy watching it anymore.

Comment by Neptunia – November 16, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t forget the final Twilight movie that premiered by 10. I’d imagine it went down due to that.

Comment by POIFanatic – November 16, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee hits series low. LOL

Comment by JC – November 16, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Everyone has moved on from the “high school musical” show. Time to cancel.

Comment by Bob – November 19, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised Grey’s dropped some. Way too much April and new interns. While there were some good parts the sum was bleh.

Comment by Cindy – November 16, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is ot good for TVD, the episodes this season bave been fantastic!
    Also not good for Grey’s Very good for Person of Interest though.

Comment by sarah – November 16, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great ratings! POI was absolutely brilliant! TBBT is a monster!
    Double dose of Nina was awesome! I love this girl. Episode was alright. Hope it goes up after thanksgiving.
    Last Resort is turning into a mediocre show. Hope they wrap up coherently when it ends.
    Giving Elementary the post SB post makes less sense everyday. Its not engaging enough and the cases are easily solvable. Doesn’t require Holmes. No wonder it has low retention.

Comment by POIFanatic – November 16, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wonder how many markets had Vampire Diaries delayed. It wasn’t on here until 2am.

Comment by Diz – November 16, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory was awesome last night – dialog was amazing, acting/characters were perfect.

Comment by cindy – November 16, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, more original 5 and far less AFF and Berny. I’d rather see more of Stuart from the comic book store than Aff.

Comment by Tansy – November 16, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome ratings for POI, so happy.
    POI is an incredible show.

Comment by POIfan – November 16, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised Glee was down after last week.

Comment by Lori – November 16, 2012 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why is Parks and Rec so low. I really like Big Bang. Always watch the repeats but it is no way better then Parks and Rec.

Comment by Josh – November 16, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just very different structures: I’ve loved BBT from it’s start while never looking at Parks past the first episode. Different shows appeal to different people, not a question of “better” in every instance, though I totally admit there are some shows that are simply godawful.

Comment by John – November 16, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Here’s the thing. Even many loyal Parks and Rec fans agree that the short 6-episode first season wasn’t very good. It was tweaked before the start of season 2 and since then has evolved into a very funny show – one of the best comedies on TV, IMO. It’s a shame so many people wrote it off after a couple of episodes and never gave it a second chance. I was actually one of those people, but after catching a season 3 episode, I was hooked. I’ve seen every episode since then and also caught up on the older ones I missed. I wish that more people would give this show a chance and that NBC would do a better job of marketing it.

Comment by michelle – November 16, 2012 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That is exactly it. I remember watching the first 2 episodes with friends who thought it was funny enough and I thought it was pretty bad. But it did get reworked and came back so much funnier in season 2. I would almost tell people to avoid those first episodes and go straight to season 2. it is such a good show and really deserves more viewers.

Comment by tripoli – November 16, 2012 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just wait until February, when NBC serves up Community as the sacrificial lamb to the almighty BBT. Just proves NBC really wants to end this show.

Comment by Bob – November 19, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vampire diaries dropped cause most of their fans were waiting in line to see twilight.

Comment by britt – November 16, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love TBBT last night. I gasped a little when Penny finally spilled the “I love you” beans. Unlike some others I like the supporting cast and what they bring to the show, but I also love it when they reach back into the depths of what MAKE the show and have a core 5 episode.

Comment by dq18 – November 16, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amazing numbers for TBBT, just wooow. Love POI, still 3.1 at 9:00 on Thursday night, seriously networks have to look at where viewers are watching TV, and it’s not sitting on the couch watching their shows at night, and 10:00 shows are getting hammered this year. I think what networks didn’t care to face for years, just hit them in the face this season. When given all the ways people can watch their shows today, there needs to be a big change on how networks and advertisers rate shows.

Comment by Yesterday's Child – November 16, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SCANDAL – While everybody seems to be clear about Grey’s, why doesn’t anybody point to the elephant in the room? Scandal doesn’t even bring in the numbers Grey’s does. It never drew a large audience as Grey’s did in the beginning and what exactly are its retention numbers? Surely ABC can’t be all that thrilled with those modest numbers, can they? Right now, all of Shonda’s shows that are on the air are doing mediocre to horrible. And they just ordered another one. Perhaps a new writer/producer could come up with something more exciting for ABC?

Grey’s Anatomy seems to be losing more and more eyeballs. No surprise, as the only interesting character now is Cristina and that’s why we tape it at all. There’s no real character development happening on this show anymore. Who is Jackson, really? Who is April? We don’t know them well enough yet, but are supposed to be interested in a gazillion new ones who joke around. Really? No depth whatsoever, no exciting conflicts, nothing. Just lame.

Comment by scandalous – November 16, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Vampire Diaries is getting back on track. Elena hasn’t been very likeable of late but I think a lot of that has to do with not being true to herself and wanting to stay with Stefan in spite of them growing apart. With the end of their romance last night, I hope Elena will come into her own now.

Comment by Ella – November 16, 2012 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ah yes it is all Stephan’s fault and Delena will save the day. LOL. You do know that every episode that features Elena and Damon the ratings go down. Go ahead and check it out.

Comment by Dawnmac – November 16, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ella said nothing about Damon or his relationship to Elena. Not everyone who watches the show or has complaints gives a tiny rat’s ass about who is hooking up with who. Get over it and maybe try going outside or reading a book next Thursday night. Your show is sinking fast, as is your precious Stefan and Elena.

Comment by tripoli – November 16, 2012 09:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • After last night’s Vampire Diaries, I will be watching Last Resort instead. That episode made me so mad! I hope Last Resort sticks around. It’s actually a pretty good show, and they could do so many things with it.

Comment by Meg – November 16, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No you won’t. It just got cancelled.

Comment by Sarahliz – November 16, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There are still episodes to air. Don’t be so quick to throw daggers.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – November 16, 2012 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No daggers. It HAS been canceled. They’ll burn off the last couple of episodes, probably on a Saturday night.

Comment by Bob – November 19, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TBBT was awesome no doubt and truthfully i never expected Penny to say I love you especially since she’s been kind of cold and bitchy this season it could just be me but i’ve been getting that vibe from her of late. I LMAO during the wormhole scene priceless.

I got to say i’m really enjoying Last Resort and don’t really understand why people aren’t watching it. is it because of the content maybe a little to personal for some people. or is it becuase its not very action packed. i don’t know but its a shame in my view becuase i honestly think its a better show than Revolution and if it weren’t for Arrow I’d say its the best freshmen drama on TV right now.

Comment by James – November 16, 2012 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe because its so stupid when it comes to handling its inconsistent characters? The already implausible situations magnified by logical fallacies? Just a pay bit of attention and you’ll see the myriad of things that’s wrong on Last Resort.

Comment by POIFanatic – November 16, 2012 10:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Over the Salvatore Brothers over acting

Comment by helet – November 16, 2012 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only watched The League and Parks and Rec last night. Parks and Rec was good. The League can get kind of gross at times (as last night’s episode took the cake), but it still always delivers a few laughs. But I do declare last night’s episode as being forever unclean.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 16, 2012 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s TVD was the first half decent one all season.

Comment by Sarahliz – November 16, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One of the only salvageable portions of TVD last night was Katherine. Why can’t Elena be like Kat? I mean seriously…

Comment by Ali – November 16, 2012 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree!!! Show needs more klaus and Katherine!! And less Elena!

Comment by Jamie b – November 21, 2012 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Need to catch up on the Big Bang Theory! So many shows recording on the DVR Thursdays, but glad its doing well! Wish Vampire Diaries was doing better. Grey’s, well I;m a loyal viewer, been watching too long!

Comment by @JennyS714 – November 17, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post