Ratings: The Voice Drops, Mindy and Dixie Rise, Private Practice and Apt. 23 Hit Series Lows

Private Practice Ratings Hit All-Time LowPrivate Practice isn’t look too flush as it works through its farewell run.

The ABC drama this Tuesday night drew just 3.7 million total viewers while mustering a 1.1 demo rating, dropping 20 percent from its last fresh outing to hit all-time lows. As such, it also placed third in the 10 o’clock hour behind both Vegas and Parenthood.

NOTE: ABC has scheduled a double helping of Private Practice for next week, airing the Addison POV episode in the regular Tuesday slot, then adding in the Jake-centric outing on Wednesday at 10/9c (bumping a Nashville repeat).

Also tumbling hard this week was Fox’s Ben and Kate, which with 2.5 million total viewers and a 1.1 rating fell 17 and 21 percent and tied ABC’s Apartment 23 for last place amongst Tuesday’s 172 sitcoms.

The CW, meanwhile, had a good night. Hart of Dixie (1.7 mil/0.7) rose double digits to hit a season high in the demo and draw its largest audience in nearly a year. Emily Owens in turn surged more than 30 percent to 1.43 mil/0.4.

Elsewhere….

8 pm | NCIS (16.9 million total viewers, 3.0 rating) was down 12 percent in the demo to a season low, but of course outdrew all Tuesday comers. Similarly, The Voice (11 mil/3.8) slipped 9 and 17 percent from its most recent Tuesday telecast yet still easily led the night in the demo. Dancing With the Stars (12 mil/1.9) inched up. Raising Hope opened Fox’s night with 3.8 mil/1.6 (down 6 percent), but as noted, Ben and Kate squandered a third of that.

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars Week 8 Results: Did the Right Couples Go Home?

RELATED | The Voice Top 12 Results Recap: Did the Right Contestants Get the Boot?

9 pm | NCIS: Los Angeles dominated with 15.7 mil/2.8, steady versus its last outing and outdrawing its ABC, NBC and Fox sitcom rivals combined. Speaking of which: NBC’s Go On (6.3 mil/2.3) dipped a tenth and The New Normal (4.8 mil/1.8) ticked up some. Fox’s New Girl (4.3 mil/2.2) dipped a tenth, but The Mindy Project (3.23 mil/1.7) rose 13 percent in the demo. And while ABC’s Happy Endings (4.8 mil/1.4) added a few eyeballs, Apartment 23 (3.2 mil/1.1) slipped a tenth in the demo to a series low.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello Has Scoop on Two Big Parenthood Twists

10 pm | Parenthood (down a smidge to 4.74 mil/1.8) led the hour in the demo, while CBS’ Vegas (dipping a hair to 10.4 mil/1.6) of course had the biggest audience.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday night?

1. Eric says:

This is what happens when shows are pre-empted for 3 weeks!!!! Its been a month since some frest episodes were seen!!!

• the girl says:

And when they’re not well promoted. I had no idea that Private Practice was on last night, and it’s one of my favorite shows.

2. Joe says:

Private practice didn’t run in Syracuse last night for some strange reason the reran the dancing with the stars from 8 o’clock

3. VCI says:

More people need to watch The B from Apt 23. Last night episode was hilarious!!
    Also how many people watched Parenthood(however many, I’m sure it’s not enough as it deserves.)

4. Dave says:

Go Hart of Dixie, great show

5. Elyse says:

glad to see private practice go.

6. TV Gord says:

It’s unfortunate that Private Practice did its “reality show” episode the night after Castle did its sort-of “reality show” episode. It seemed repetitive to watch the characters from both shows acting strange and uncomfortable for the camera. The Private Practice storyline itself was juicy high melodrama, and fun to watch. It’s too bad more people didn’t tune in.

• Robin says:

I know. Seems like the scheduling for castle has a similar situation on ouat, pp, and ga before. They are clever on their own; they don’t need to tie in to other shows. I think that is hurting them.

7. Eric says:

The B was hilarious last night!!! And Parenthood is probably one of the best, if not the best dramas on tv right now!!!

8. wrstlgirl says:

Holy cow where did that audience for Emily Owens come from? That’s a surprise. I watch the show but I’m not overly enthusiastic about it. For me there’s no competition at the time so…….

9. Nero theTVFiddler says:

I tried to watch a bit of everything last night – a lot of good choices. A nice surprise for B in Apt 23 – very funny episode last night. Maybe the coolest surprise of all – HELLO LEE!! The great Lee Meriweather (for those under 30, google her) had a nice ‘catwoman’ turn at the end of the episode. Well done for the team at Apt 23!

There will be plenty of changes coming for the Tuesday night lineups once we hit the new year and winter hiatus season. Voice, DWTS, Parenthood, PPractice – all will be on some form of hiatus [temporary or otherwise], and I think this might help allow one or two of those six comedies in the 9-10 hour to break out a bit.

I’m going to be watching the numbers on Go On, Happy Endings and New Girl in particular. Whichever of those three can ‘break out’ a bit from the pack during the Jan-Feb window, I think will also dictate what happens to Normal, Apt 23 and Mindy and which will remain on Tuesdays, and which may need to be moved around for survival. I still believe all six comedies cannot survive long term in that time slot. Let’s give a high-five for counter programming?

• Joe says:

Thank you I was trying to figure out who she was last night , she looked familiar , and the credits went to fast , good to see the cat woman on tv again

• dan says:

Lee Meriweather played Ruth Martin on All My Children for several years (after Mary Fickett retired) and I recently read that she was doing an episode of Hawaii 5-0. Good for her!

10. Jared says:

Happy to see Hart of Dixie up!..great episode.

11. niks says:

NBC is hell bent on killing the cash cow with its greed. No one can deny that there has been too much of “The voice” lately on our screens. And they are already shooting for the next season with Shakira and “the guy who has the personality of a newt and can’t even sing live”. The ratings are going down consistently, and they don’t seem to have any plans of changing their ways.

• dan says:

They’re already filming the next set of blind auditions? I was hoping there would be a few months off from The Voice between the Fall and Spring seasons. Guess I was wrong. I’m tired of it already and they’ve only aired two live episodes this season.

12. Joe says:

It’s just proved private Practice was a time slot hit

13. gary says:

Wow what happen to New Girl? The ratings have just bottom out. Also dam Hart of Dixie and Emily Owens…Where did all of these new viewers come from?

14. bradnies says:

Do you know why Go On aired its Halloween episode while The New Normal did not?

15. KSM says:

I’d be curious to see the DVR numbers for those 9-10 comedies. I like all of them, but, obviously, can’t watch them all at the same time. Since those comedies likely play well among the same people, I bet a lot of people work it that way.

16. Will says:

Sad about Don’t Trust the B. That was probably my favorite episode yet.

• ChrisGa says:

Def the best episode of the season. Speaking of best episodes, Happy Endings was HILARIOUS last night, definitely a season best and possibly better than just about anything last season.

17. A.D. says:

ABC wake up and move Happy Endings and Apt. 23 back to Wednesday and cancel all the crap on Wednesday except for Modern Family…especially that horrid Alien Show!

18. Forwarddad says:

I love PP but three weeks off and a stupid reality show ep. Yikes…….
    That said loved Parent Hood. Such a great emotional show.

19. Meg says:

I’m LOVING Mindy Project. Even more than New Girl, to be honest. The first two episodes were shaky but the writing’s been really solid since then and all the characters are hilarious!

20. John says:

Not entirely sure why but I’ve drifted to dvr’ing NCIS and watching NCIS:L.A. first along with any leftovers from Monday such as Castle (except, shudder, for this week). Covert Affairs also is a must watch.

Hart of Dixie is a fun 43 minutes.

21. Ella says:

Great news for Hart of Dixie! The show keeps getting better this season. It is funny and paced well. Loving Zoe and Wade’s relationship. George’s journey has been interesting, especially last night’s that paired him with Tansey. Hope the ratings continue to increase.

22. Justin says:

Loved Don’t trust the B and Happy Endings last night.

23. Happy Hart of dixie reached .07 Demo where it beongs and going back up to steady numbers last season which were around 1.60 M.

I am so proud of Emily Owens M.D. I did not wacth last night because I realize I am loving this show to much and if it gets cancel I will be too sad, so if these numbers keep going up or stay steady, Ill start re watching.

24. heidi says:

I am so happy for Hart of Dixie!

25. Em says:

I love Parenthood! I’m glad it won the hour, but I wish more people watched it. This season has been amazing! I am loving Ryan and Amber!

On the other hand, Private Practice has sucked for me this season. I have really been disappointed in the writing. So we figure out that Sheldon has prostate cancer and then we never hear about it again? Really? Where the heck is Amelia? She has been given zero character development this season except to pop up once or twice and remind us what happened to her last season. Caterina Scorsone is one of the best on that show, and she kicked some serious ass last season.

• Kath says:

I guess Caterina Scorsone is still taking it light from maternity leave but I really miss Amelia. She, Sheldon and Charlotte are my reasons for watching this show.

Yesterday’s Private Practice was a snooze. Alfre Woodward was great but I really don’t care about Sam any more. And the Castle reality episode was better done.

• Joan says:

A shame that Ms. Woodward was involved in this episode. What a hot mess! Is PPP trying to get cable like ratings? ABC…I know you cancelled the show but don’t the show runner go rouge on you.

26. Kristina says:

Glad to hear Hart of Dixie did well, but bummer about Apt 23, it was really funny.

27. Rebecca says:

I wish I had Boys II Menorah perform at my Bat Mitzvah!!! Happy Endings isn’t as funny as previous season, but I still love it.

28. CBS viewer says:

Way too go CBS!!!!! I likes me them CBS crime tee vee shows thems got good simple crime storyplots that doesn’t confuse me and my wife!!!!!!!

29. Kath says:

I’m glad Emily Owens did better. It needs some tweaking and some dead weight cut (Cassandra, I’m looking at you) but it’s an enjoyable show if only they’d let it stay on long enough to build an audience. And put it in a different timeslot rather than against New Girl.

• Deb says:

It has potential. Cristina….slip..I mean Cassandra is the bad guy on the show. Every show needs one.

• Kath says:

Agree about shows needing antagonists but Cristina was someone who had positive qualities and she was someone I could root for. Unlike Cristina, who was good at medicine even if she had no people skills and who didn’t cheat to get ahead, Cassandra has to use Emily’s idea to impress her attending because she has none of her own, she freezes in the OR, and she lies to Emily all the time to make her fall behind. Not to mention leaving her shoes in the middle of the locker room which stinks it up.

If they’re going to keep Cassandra as the bad guy, they need to give her a couple of good qualities otherwise Emily is going to look like a putz for being intimidated by her.

30. tp says:

Last night HOD finally lost me. Wade is a childish jerk, don’t see the appeal. They are making George into an idiot and I used to love Zoe and now I look at her and see a liar. The show took a turn for the worse to me. Sigh. Maybe later it’ll take another turn and I can go back to it. Parenthood continually makes me cry a river and I love it! I always watch it with a box of tissue. As much as I love NCIS it hasn’t been the usual must watch for me this season. TOnight I look forward to Chicago Fire.

31. schu says:

Parenthood gets me every episode. The level of authenticity this show captures is remarkable. Everyone should be watching it.

32. Kaliera says:

I watched Private Practice last night and just laughed when Sam claimed to be one of the “best cardiothorasic surgeons in the country” – Really Shonda? I know all your doctors are “the best” – but did you forget that Sam didn’t DO heart surgury for more than 15 years? I guess just like they “forgot” that Sam had asthma so would never be a candidate for a partial lung transplant and they forgot about Sam’s “honesty” when he kissed his ex-wife while his girlfriend was burying her mother.

33. Kat says:

I LOVE.Raising Hope .the best comedy on.TV !!..I believe Greg Garcia is a genius ,.so loved Earl as well. I adore the way that he uses.the actors from Earl, including.”Earl,.Randy .Joy, and Crab Man ,.and the references to Camden. It’s brilliant and also super funny,.period. Please don’t cancel quickly, as was done to Earl..

34. Emma says:

If you aren’t watching The Mindy Project you are missing the best comedy on tv. It is hilarious. Every scene and character make the show non-stop entertaining. It’ll make your week – watch!!!