Ratings: Big Bang Ties an All-Time High, Men Hits Season High, The CW's Beast Beefs Up

Get More: News, Ratings

Big Bang Theory All-Time High AudienceBazinga! The Big Bang Theory this Thursday inched up 4 percent in total audience to deliver an all-time high of 16.54 million viewers, while scoring a 5.0 demo rating (down 4 percent week-to-week).

That teed up a Miley-high Two and a Half Men (14.1 mil/4.0) for gains of 11 percent, hitting and matching season highs.

Leading out of the hitcoms, Person of Interest rose to a season-high audience of 14.7 mil, while staying flat in the demo (with a 2.9). Elementary then capped CBS’ night with a time slot-winning 10.7 mil/2.2, dipping 8 percent in the demo.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Recap: Grief, Stricken

Among Thursday’s other gainers, ABC’s Last Resort (6 mil/1.4) ticked up a tenth in the demo, Grey’s Anatomy (9.2 mil/3.2) reclaimed the demo lead from POI, rising two tenths, and The CW’s Beauty and the Beast (1.9 mil/0.7) saw gains of 9 and 17 percent.

Buoyed by a special The Voice lead-in, NBC’s The Office (5.3 mil/2.5) surged more than 30 percent, while Parks and Recreation (3.84 mil/1.8) enjoyed lifts of 15 percent and a tenth.

Elsewhere…

* The Voice, with 9.1 million total viewers and a 3.0 rating, was down 13 and 21 percent from Wednesday’s telecast.

RELATED | The Voice Top 20 Results Recap: Did the Right Singers Advance?

* The X Factor, facing off against The Voice, drew 6.3 mil/2.3, flat versus last Thursday. Glee led out of that with 5.7 mil/2.4, dipping 6 and 8 percent from its last fresh outing.

RELATED | The X Factor Top 13 Results Recap: Did the Right Act Go Home This Week?

RELATED | Glee Recap: Shake, Rattle and Roleplay

* The Vampire Diaries opened The CW’s night with 3 mil/1.4, down 9 percent and a tenth.

* ABC’s Scandal held steady at 6.1 mil/2.0.

Comments (46)

• Not bad for Greys, Beast and Scandal. The Vampire Diaries was craptastique.

Comment by shuayb – November 9, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Big Bang Theory is the best show of Thursday nigths

Comment by TV fan – November 9, 2012 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s nice to see Last Resort tick up a little – one of the new ones this season I truly like and I’d like not to go away too soon… Also, have surprisingly enjoyed Elementary and am glad Person of Interest (I realize it’s S2) has found what seems a little less of a dark spin on Reese and his personality is showing thru a bit more. Missed Kevin Chapman (Fusco) last nite, though.

Comment by JLew – November 9, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Beauty and the Beast! Last night’s episode was even better than the week before. Hopefully, more people will realize the show is not the pilot (each episode shows immense improvement) and Catherine is not Lana (seriously they are NOTHING alike). I also love that the writers are open to what the fans want. They’ve even asked for fan opinions on Twitter. They want to give us the show that we want. Looking forward to Bridget Regan joining us well. Such a huge fan of Legend of the Seeker and Richard/Kahlan. I think Vincent and Catherine are actually pretty similar…

Comment by AT – November 9, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oo who should I be following on twitter for B+B?

Comment by mia – November 9, 2012 10:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There are a ton to follow but the best is probably BeautyandtheBeastCW which is from the writers of the show. @BatBwriters. Once you get there, you can likely find the rest. They want fans to help create buzz.

Comment by AT – November 9, 2012 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree with you anymore. :-)

Comment by Vannesa – November 9, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news for Beast – the show is getting better with each episode, while Vampire Diaries keeps getting worse with each week.

Comment by cgh – November 9, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 100% agree. I’m not even sure why I even watch TVD anymore. It’s terrible.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 9, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. The show has become terrible and continues to get worse.

Comment by Billy bob – November 9, 2012 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort is a crazy show that makes no sense, but it seems to delight its small following. It isn’t like anything else on the air today, so I hope that ABC lets it live.

Comment by Tyk – November 9, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was about to stop watching Beast but after last night’s episode I’ve changed my mind. Great episode, best one to date and I’m now invested to see how this shakes out. Nice job CW!!

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 9, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With Adam Brown (Max), Henry Czerny (Conrad on Revenge) Natalie Dormer (Margaery on Game of Thrones) I love seeing some of my favorite actors from The Tudors on TV again!!

Comment by Maggie – November 9, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised how much I’m into Beauty and the Beast. The Vampire Diaries on the other hand… I dunno what’s happening over there. Love how Person of Interest has caught its second wind, and really enjoyed Elementary, especially since there bringing in more characters from the books.

Comment by Lena120 – November 9, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Grey’s Anatomy (9.2 mil/3.2) reclaimed the demo lead from POI”. Slight mistake. POI is my favorite show of the season, but last episode both the shows numbers were reversed in the finals. POI went down, Grey’s ticked up beating POI.

Comment by John – November 9, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on Last Resort! Go up even more! Even with all its illogical fallacies and over the top acting, I love this show!
    Look out for producers lining up outside Miley’s home for every show. She should guest star on POI! She’d be perfect to increase its already high ratings!
    TVD had its flaws, but overall it was good. ‘The Killer’, such an ironic title for the episode. Nina can act brilliantly.
    When Glee beats X-Factor, its time to start worrying.
    The Voice on a new day and for a results show against TBBT no less did quite well imo.

Comment by John – November 9, 2012 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about ratings for Burn Notice?

Comment by Jerri – November 9, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Cable ratings always come in much later — sometimes not until the second day after broadcast.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 9, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, maybe you should post this as a disclaimer every time you post your ratings reports. Someone always seem to ask about a cable show when you talk network ratings. :^)

Comment by phredd! – November 9, 2012 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Voice is going to be on all 5 nights of the week before we know it…

Comment by Alex – November 9, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow color me surprised. Glee didn’t fall as low as I expected!

Comment by Ivy – November 9, 2012 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am quite surprised that POI isn’t doing better in the demo. I would like to see it around 3.5.

Comment by niks – November 9, 2012 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beauty and the Beast has become REALLY good. I’ll admit the pilot was pretty awful but the series has grown on me and the last couple episodes have been great. I’m not sure why the CW wanted to keep the name Beauty and the Beast because the series is not what you may think by the title alone. Glad to see more people tuning in and giving it a chance.

Comment by Jared – November 9, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Surprisingly I’m loving Beauty and the Beast. I never hear anything about Jay Ryan (Vincent), but DAMN. That man is hot.

Comment by Renee – November 9, 2012 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for The Big Bang Theory! Last night’s episode was superb! Loved the Sheldon-Amy moments, so sweet. Grey’s wasn’t bad too. Though I remember they used to top the night with more than 20 million viewers. What happened? :(

Comment by Kat – November 9, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shonda killed off most of the cast and made the show become ridiculous. That’s what happened.

Comment by Billy bob – November 9, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BBT just keeps getting better and better this season. Seeing Shelly drunk was a hoot!

Comment by Majamababe – November 9, 2012 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Beauty and the Beast has quickly become my favorite show of the season. It really has gotten better with each episode. I really hope it finds a good audience. With Emily Owens certain to be canceled, Gossip Girl ending, and America’s Next Top Model moving to the summer, I’m hopeful BATB will get a second season….unless both The Carrie Diaries and Cult do extremely well, then I could see BATB getting canceled and 90210 getting the short final season treatment, if not canceled at the end of this season.

Comment by Blake – November 9, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear Mr. Mitovich,
    will you be doing a Scandal recap this week? I have enjoyed your reviews for the show this season and I missed it today. I hope that you will have one out soon. Thanks!

Comment by KCC – November 9, 2012 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, I needed a breather.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 9, 2012 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No worries! Thank you for your response! :-)

Comment by KCC – November 9, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whatever Haters! TVD is awesome!

Comment by Lou – November 9, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure it is. Oh no wait, it’s actually awesome at being absolutely terrible.

Comment by tripoli – November 9, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love TVD…watch it every week, love the cast!But…it seems like last season was better…I mean, i love the originals so last season was badass for me…but this season, with the elena’s BIIIG drama, it’s not that exciting…I like elena but she’s far from being the best in Mystic Falls…And the story of a CURE seems like a dangerous place to go…And they kills usefull characters like Alaric and keep others with poor storylines like Bonnie…

I just want to say that this season is not so great…I don’t see a plan…But i’ll watch it anyway because there’s some great acting happening in there (yes, joseph morgan i’m looking at you)…And I miss my Daniel Gillies…Let’s light this candle!!!!

Comment by Carla Lopes – November 10, 2012 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glee beat X Factor? I wonder how FOX is feeling about this…

Comment by Emily – November 9, 2012 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal’s consistency is amazing. Grey’s and Scandal make for an excellent two hour block on Thursdays.

Comment by KSM – November 9, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ratings Question:
    So I have DISH. I record both Voice and X-Factor. I watch Voice with about a 15 minute delay to skip the commercials. Then I watch X-Factor immediately after Voice. (also skipping commercials)
    Does my viewing even get counted? Does DISH report what we watch? Do I need to be a Nielson family to count? Should I care?
    Should Xtina have kept De’Borah? :)

Comment by Alienate – November 9, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I believe only Nielson homes are counted.

Comment by Michelle – November 9, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you don’t watch the commercials you don’t count even if you have Nielson.

Comment by Renee – November 10, 2012 05:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Vamps are sure sucking something…and it’s not blood!!! What is happening to this show??? Are they stuck in a poorly ventilated room writing the stories??? I mean really, it’s like I am watching a completely different show :( :( :(

Comment by Belle – November 9, 2012 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh god…loved that first sentence…XD…I guess the answer to your question is: Elena…all about Elena…and a cure!Seriously…The originals are sooo much better!!

Comment by Carla Lopes – November 10, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory was hilarious. I had forgotten about Sheldon’s Fun with Flags web series. Will Wheaton was great as always.

Comment by tvdiva – November 9, 2012 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One thing these numbers show is how tough and tight the battle on Thursday nights has become – lots of good shows to watch/sample. But bottom line – CBS has done a nice job of taking over the night – NBC at one time ruled Thursday nights, then ABC to a some extent. Now CBS. Can any other network challenge CBS on Thursday nights this season? Perhaps not.

Nonetheless, the numbers are good for all the nets – CW doing well also – good demo ratings. Lot of people watch TV on Thursday nights – that’s a great thing for broadcast [and cable] TV. My question is about FOX….is FOX (and Glee) being served well by keeping Glee at 9pm? Maybe things will improve once American Idol returns – we’ll have to see how the numbers look then in January/February window, but for now, I’m not certain X-Factor is doing Glee any good.

Glee might actually have been better off at 8pm on Thursday, with X-Factor at 9pm, even if the content of the show [Glee] would have to be altered a bit for that earlier hour. But if any show is being hurt on Thursday night, it might be Glee – not able to get the viewers it should/could be getting on another night. We’ll see what impact Idol has once it returns. But FOX needs to take care of Glee and ensure it has longevity, wherever the show needs to be placed.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – November 9, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This week’s episode of The Office was one of the best in years, and TBBT was one of its best ever, IMHO.

Comment by CJ – November 9, 2012 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i am just soo in loove with the beauty and the beast

Comment by Zena Petrovski (@caben2015) – November 27, 2012 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post