The Voice Recap: Playoffs Again, Sam

de'borah the voice nbcIf you read a transcript of the coaches’ comments on The Voice, you might think they loved everyone equally all the time. But, of course, you’d be missing the nuances that can be derived from tone of voice and facial expression.

So while Christina Aguilera and Cee Lo Green respectively had nice things to say about their proteges Devyn Deloera and Diego Val during Wednesday night’s Live Playoffs performance show, their inflections told a different tale: “If you’re not one of America’s top two vote-getters on my team, don’t expect me to waste my third slot on the likes of your pedestrian booty.”

PHOTOS | The Voice: Ranking the Coaches’ Season 3 Teams Before the Live Shows Begin

Of course, half the viewing audience probably missed the memo because they were too distracted by the shockingly bad camera work on display for much of the episode. I thought maybe the producers hated opening act Adriana Louise when the director cut to the side of some dude’s head midway through her performance, and then later used a shot taken from somewhere in the parking lot that reduced the singer to a tiny ant scrambling for crumbs. But nope, the inscrutable images just kept on coming throughout the show. Here’s hoping NBC steps in and solves the problem before the Top 12 telecast airs next Monday.

Speaking of Top 12, here’s how I think Xtina and Cee Lo should prune their teams of five down to three come Thursday night’s results:

TEAM XTINA
Absolutely should advance:
* De’Borah: She displayed the flexibility of Gumby and the pipes of a future legend on Pink’s “Who Knew.” Tell me I’m not the only person who bursts with joy every time this girl takes the stage.

* Sylvia Yacoub: I thought she was going to be Knockout Rounds cannon fodder, but Sylvia has shown massive improvement in her last two performances. Watching her sit at the piano and give an achingly lovely spin on Katy Perry’s “The One That Got Away,” Sylvia definitively separated herself from Team Xtina’s seemingly endless parade of pretty pop-diva types.

Absolutely should go home:
* Devyn Deleora: Her “Bleeding Love” went so off the rails in the final third that it’d seem to cruel to make the obvious “bleeding from the ears” joke here.

Could go either way:
* If De’Borah and Sylvia advance via public vote — and they certainly should — then Xtina’s save will come down to Adriana Louise or Dez Duron. Personally, I thought the former’s “Firework” was the superior vocal over the latter’s “Wanted,” but methinks the constant harping by Carson and the judges that ladies love cool Dez means he’ll be the one cracking the Top 12.

TEAM CEE LO
Absolutely should advance:
* Cody Belew: Okay, so Cody’s campy shimmying was a little lounge act-ish, but his vocal was pretty close to flawless, and he’s got a head of hair even more impressive than Dez’s. The Top 12 just wouldn’t be as much fun without him.

Absolutely should go home:
* Diego Val: Dude may not have been thrilled about getting saddled with the supercheesy “Bailamos,” but delivering it with the enthusiasm of a ninth-grader being forced to answer a question in algebra class probably didn’t help his cause. And unlike Blake, I couldn’t get past the dude’s lack of socks with his brown dress shoes anyhow.

Could go either way:
* Okay, okay, so the much-hyped and clearly very talented Trevin Hunte is obviously going to advance, but I’m not really sure I’d be upset if he didn’t. To my ears, the kid needs a few more years of experience — and the ability to understand when a song will collapse under the weight of too many runs and ad libs — before he’s ready for prime time. Cee Lo was all about stripping down the arrangement of “How Am I Supposed to Live Without You,” but he should’ve focused on stripping down Trevin’s vocal.

* I have my doubts that Mackenzie Bourg or Nicholas David could win the whole enchilada, but I can’t help but feel they’d be more interesting finalists than Trevin. The former’s acoustic rendition of “What Makes You Beautiful” was remniscent of Kris Allen’s best work on American Idol (with 35 percent less vocal power and emotional connectedness) while the latter’s cover of Barry White’s “You’re the First, the Last, My Everything” was a sublimely strange song choice delivered with total earnestness. (Side note: Did anyone else think the bearded soul man’s voice sounded a little richer in rehearsal than it did on the big stage?)

And with that, I turn it over to you.

Who were your favorites from The Voice’s‘s second night of live playoffs? Who’s definitely going home? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

p.s. Due to Hurricane Sandy leaving me without cable and internet for six days, there’ll be no new Reality Check till next Monday. Last week’s kick-awesome episode, however, is embedded below!

1. Jon says:

Agree with pretty much all of this, great recap Michael. If the iTunes Top 200 is any indicator, we may be in for some surprises in total: Trevin’s out in front (not surprising), and then Nicholas, Cody, and MacKenzie are all pretty much neck and neck. More surprising is that De’Borah isn’t anywhere in that Top 200; only Sylvia and then, way behind, Dez. But I think if somehow Debo doesn’t get the public’s vote then she’ll definitely be saved by Christina.

2. Slatina Whorinova says:

Everytime I see Diego Val and his stupid hair and sockless dress shoes, I want to smack him. And he cannot sing. Can’t believe he beat Caitlin Michelle in the Knockouts and JR Aquino in the Battles.

• Anna says:

I adore Mackenzie, Cody and De’borah. Easily top three of the night (for me). Nicholas is amazing and I used to really love Trevin but I feel like nothing has changed since the Blinds with him. The rest are meh. We’ll have to see what happens tonight!

3. Mitchell says:

You have a typo in the 2nd paragraph. It’s Diego Val, not Diego Vaz.

4. Mitchell says:

I’d like to see MacKenzie Bourg advance on he strength of last week’s “Call Me Maybe” alone. I think he had an off night yesterday.

• tjj50 says:

Call Me Maybe was his song choice, but the One Direction song was CeeLo’s, and I think it was a bad idea to continue have him follow the lightweight pop road. I’m with Christina. If he advances, I want to hear something more weighty from him.

• Owen says:

Though the One Direction song is more of an “iffy” song choice, I would argue MacKenzie gets better and becomes more and more a secure performer with each appearance.

5. the real wendy says:

I think my favorite was Sylvia and that is shocking. But c’mon… I could watch Mustache Man every week. So entertaining!

• the real wendy says:

…oh, and I too, am totally couch jumping for De’Borah!!! So much fun on this show!

• seattlejohn449 says:

loved Sylvia this week though my favorites were Nicholaus and De’Borah…they both look like they would totally geek out on stage in their respective “costumes” and then both just took command of their vocals and stage presence – and their respective looks became totally organic to their stage personas…was especially surprised how Moustache Man was so much fun to watch dancing

6. dj says:

I liked all the same ones you did. If De’Borah goes home, it will be a crime. I think Nicholas has a great radio voice.

• Tess says:

I have a problem watching De’Borah with that whole Urkel thing she’s got going on. Good voice though. Still, to quote The Buggles, “video killed the radio star”.

• MamaLis says:

Indeed. I’m with you. Dare I say that I actually don’t like the way she moves? I find it very unappealing to watch. Even her voice is just okay for me.

• Clifford Alverez says:

Ahh I gotta disagree with you! For some reason I got up and tried to move around like she did because she looked like she was having so much fun. (also, it was very difficult to move like that…)

• Rain says:

Finally, someone that agrees with me! I don’t get the appeal of De’Borah. She seems like a nice person but her dancing is not entertaining to watch and I don’t really like her voice.

7. CF says:

Thoughts, in no particular order:

Mackenzie looks like a young Kevin Bacon.

De’Borah is fun, but there’s something about the actual tone in her voice that doesn’t sit well on my ear. Not sure yet if I’d buy her music or not. Same with Sylvia. Her voice is too wavery-quavery for me. I’d love to hear less breaks and more sustained purity, but that’s just a personal preference.

Totally disagree with your take on Trevin. Love his voice and his poise. For me it’s a toss up between him and Nicholas. Don’t know if either will go all the way, but they’re two that I’ll definitely keep track of after the show ends.

• Tedatbent says:

Last night I closed my eyes and just listened to The Voices. Trevin and Sylvia made me cry. Nicholas made me smile. Love it when white guys have that much soul (see Daryl Hall and Fitz and the Tantrums). All the others had their moments. The depth of talent is much better this season.

• Tedatbent says:

Almost forgot about Cody. His vocals were spot on. Although I decided to only listen to the voices last night after sitting through his awkward pelvic thrusts.

• wilogden says:

I totally saw the bacon in Mac last night. Its all so close right now the only certainties are De’Borah staying and Diego going.

8. Katie says:

I agree about most of what you said, especially the thing about Trevin. I do disagree a little about De’Borah. I LOVE her voice and her personality, I do, but all the jumping around did distract from the message of the song for me. I would have liked her to show a little more vulnerability and angst. The vulnerability was missing from her rendition of “You found me” as well, I thought. But she should definitely go on to the Top 12 I think.

9. Titina says:

LOVED CODY! Really really hope America put him through!
    IMO he was the BEST of the night…. Awesome vocals.. He could be the dark horse to win it all..

• dan says:

Cody is another one who keeps improving. I thought he was great.

• jaxguy says:

It’s probably just me but I LOVED Cody. For me he took the night. Trevin is good, even one of the best, but I hope Cody goes far. His performance last night was Brilliant and along with Jolene two of the best VOCAL performances of the year so far. Didn’t love De’Borah last nightut there is just something I really like about her. I’m going for Cody and Amanda as my two early favorites. In my opinion the 2 best performances of this weeks competition.

• Trent says:

Cody, to me, has been the biggest surprise of the entire season. I liked him and his “Bam-Bam” spirit from the start, but after his last two performances he’s become one of my favorites. GREAT voice. Maybe it was his “coming out” moment with “Jolene” that gave him such confidence and comfort onstage?

I have to disagree with Michael about Trevin. That boy’s voice is so amazingly pure and powerful that he elevates any song he’s given. I don’t know why Cee Lo wasted his huge talent on some nondescript Michael Bolton song. Also loved Sylvia (surprisingly) and De’borah always puts a huge smile on my face, even though I thought last night wasn’t her best performance. Still love her and voted for her (along with Trevin, Cody, Sylvia and Dez).

10. Pat says:

Are you tone deaf Michael? Devyn was way way better than Adriana. She was out of tune for the entire song!

• David says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one. Unfortunately, I think we’re in the minority on Devyn. Of course, I don’t think anyone on Team Xtina will make it to the finals.

• Rain says:

I really liked Devyn through most of her song – I especially liked her better than Adriana!

11. tjj50 says:

Honestly I thought this was the most scaled back and mature I’ve heard Trevin. He seemed to pick his spots within the song to let loose, although it was still a bit too much. I won’t be sad to see him advance.

Sylvia was definitely a standout. Loved De’Borah’s energy and charisma, although I wasn’t as crazy about the vocal last night.

Nicholas David is so smooth. Just love the sincerity in his sound.

Cee Lo’s got to start picking better songs for his team, unless he’s doing it on purpose.

12. Aria says:

Going into live shows, Amanda Brown was really the only person I was rooting for hardcore, and no one on Teams Cee Lo or Christina stood out to me. But after last night, I was super impressed by Adriana and Sylvia on Team Christina and (surprisingly) Cody and Mackenzie on Team Cee Lo. Adriana and Sylvia were my favorites of the night. Also, Xtina seems to have some weird Katy Perry obsession- she turned around for most of the KP blind audition songs, and she assigned 2 KP songs last night, which is surprising because Katy Perry is totally not the kind of singer that Christina Aguilera is.

• Aria says:

Also, I agree with you that it will be D’eborah through on Team Xtina, although I’m more inclined to think Dez will go through by the public’s vote as the only guy (and a charming, overhyped one at that). Between Adriana and Sylvia, I would have predicted Christina would have chosen Adriana before last night, but Sylvia was just too amazing to pass up after last night’s performance, so I’m thinking she’d be the pick.
      (I would put through Sylvia, Adriana, and D’eborah, in that order.)
      On Team Cee Lo, my money is on Trevin and Mackenzie for America’s votes . . . Trevin because of all the hype, and Mackenzie because he’s the only teeny bopper on Team Cee Lo and he sang a ONE DIRECTION!!! song (you heard how crazy the X-Factor girls went at the mention of ONE DIRECTION!!!). I think that Cody will then be the choice by Cee Lo to proceed.
      (I would pick Cody and Mackenzie, in that order, but really, I wouldn’t care who the third spot goes to. Nicholas and Trevin have stronger voices, but Diego seems more like a star. I guess I’d pick Nicholas because he really seems to feel what he’s singing. However, I don’t think anyone on Team Cee Lo will, realistically, win this season unless they have a breakout performance.)

• teatime says:

I am so tired of hearing Katy Perry songs on these shows. I did not even listen to all of Sylvia’s performance. I’ll have to trust others here that she sang really well and deserves to go thru. On that other show that other judge stopped contestants from singing Adele. I’d rather hear a couple Adele songs a night.

13. Melissa says:

I love love love Cody Belew!!!

14. eric says:

nicholas for the win!! smooth, cool, earnest…and great-sounding voice…

15. Ronnie says:

From Xtina’s team, Sylvia and Dez will get the popular votes with Deborah being her choice to stay. On Ceelo’s team, Trevin is a lock, but Cody, Nicholas, or Mackenzie could get in. Don”t forget the Tween vote for Mackenzie, but Cody has a stronger vocal. Sadly I think Nicolas’ disheveled look could work against him, even though the show is called the Voice. If Cody gets the popular vote, Nicholas will be Ceelo’s choice. If Mackenzie gets the vote, Ceelo will pick Cody.

16. JJ says:

Can someone PLEASE PLEASE tell Carson to stop calling Blake EOTY every time he talks to him? I love Blake but man, Carson is annoying. It ruins the prestige of the award.

17. Owen says:

Frankly, am I the only one who thinks Cody is way better looking than Dez??. Yes, Cody’s a big ol’ girl, which might negate some of the hotness factor.. But those eyes, that hair and that beard…very, very, very handsome.

18. VCI says:

I liked the way Sylvia stripped down and truly made “The One That Got Away” her own, but strangely i still didn’t like her voice on it. I listened to it three times, twice with eyes closed and the melody moved me but her voice didn’t. So I’m torn on this one.

My favorites of the night were Deborah( as always), Nicolas, Cody, and Dez (and his baby blue eyes probably have something to to with it, but he’s also been improving every week)

Surprisingly, I’m getting tired of Trevin. I’m getting tired of him saying how he needs to work on his confidence and realizing his runs are the only thing he really got going. It’s time for him to really change it up.

19. Becka says:

I hate to say it, but I think Adam and Blake have most of the talent this season. they made some good decisions in the previous rounds and the steals really helped them. I have NOT been impressed with Christina’s team, they all do way too much ad-libbing and runs. And Cee-lo’s team..i’m just Meh about.

20. AT says:

Call it the Glee-effect, but it was really noticeable that they did not use a multi-part harmony for the chorus on that opening number. It did not sound nearly as pretty as when the Glee cast did it…

21. Vetle says:

So, I haven’t watched the Voice previous to the top 20. I must say I loved Cody and Sylvia. I’m so envious of Cody’s hair!

22. If it actually comes down to a contest on Xtina’s team between Dez, and generic pretty girl #5 who sang “Fireworks” keep the hunk. Let’s face it, this may ostensibly and mostly be a vocal competition, but it’s also TV entertainment and you just don’t get rid of someone as swoon worthy as Dez in favor of someone who is A) generic as all get out, and b) within a week or 2 of elimination followed by complete obscurity never to be heard from again (we know how that plays out). Dez may not have a great voice, but he has what dozens of successful pop star idols have had since the beginning of pop music: stunning good looks and enormous charisma on camera and an adequate voice. Help build up his modelling/acting career by letting him stay a couple weeks. America needs his gorgeous face as a morale booster in these troubled times! Do it for the troops! (Oh hell do it for me).

23. The voices I would buy and listen to over and over again and already have are Nicholas and Cody. I bought both of their singles last week and when either come popping on my iPod that plays on random in the background at work all day, I actually stop what I’m doing and take notice. There isn’t anyone else on the show that I would really support with an actual purchase of music (so far).

24. Juan says:

How is Nick not an absolutely must advance?
    I’m still appalled at how MarissaAnn didn’t make this stage of competition, Devyn is just terrible.
    De’borah had an off night, she sang well but in her actions and inflections, I just didn’t feel her in the song at all.
    Trevin is just not ready, Amanda Brown murdered him in the battle but Cee-Lo chose to stick with him over a personal connection. Lame.
    Mackenzie, I adore, he has like a slight alterna-indie spin on pop like early Hellogoodbye. And why have they stopped showing us his dad? That was pure entertainment during early rounds.

25. John says:

I’m kinda confused because my exact favorites before the play-offs weren’t exactly the best. I usually listen to them with my eyes closed so that I can focus on their voices and taking into consideration every performance they have made (my decision about Loren was only based on her two most recent performances and her studio versions), this is how I would rank the contestants from 1 to 10 in each performance.

* Blind Audition + Battle Rounds + Knockouts + Play-Offs*

TEAM ADAM (my favorite, overall)
    Amanda Brown – 7 + 9 + 9 + 10 = 35

TEAM BLAKE
    Cassadee Pope – 9 + 7 + 7 + 9 = 32
    Julio Castillo – 8 + 7 + 5 + 6 = 26
    Liz Davis – 9 + 8 + 7 + 8 = 32
    Micahela Paige – 8 + 8 + 9 + 9 = 34
    Terry McDermot – 9 + 8 + 10 + 7 = 34

TOP 12: Amanda Brown, Melanie Martinez, Bryan Keith*, Trevin Hunte, Nicholas David, MacKenzie Bourg, De’Borah, Adriana Louise, Sylvia Yacoub, Michaela Paige, Terry Mc Dermot and Cassadee Pope*

*I prefer these to Loren Allred and Liz David, despite having the same “scores”.

(Those are the ones I want to be in the Top 12, not the ones I think will be in!)

26. Olive says:

De’Borah is the real deal on this show. With 16 contestants from 4 coaches, how many do you honestly remember week to week? Every week I find myself saying “oh yeah, that girl….” But De’Borah is memorable in a way none of the other contestants are. She has talent, a unique look and you can totally see her fitting into today’s music scene seemlessly. Standing out makes all the difference. Team Christina FTW!

• VCI says:

Deborah is my absolute favorite of the competition, she just keeps getting better and changing it up. I thought “Who Knew” was a weird song choice for her at first and he stage presence definitely helped during her live performance. I still bought that single on itunes and her recorded version sounds even better. No matter what Deborah is staying whether or not she gets the public vote, but she definitely deserves the public vote.

27. IraiaG says:

Even though I can’t understand why Diego Val is still in the competition I was really excited to watch team CeeLo perform. Then CeeLo managed to screw up big time in the song choices department.
    Anyways, after these two nights of playoffs my top 12 would be in fact a top 9:

Team Adam: Amanda Brown and Bryan Keith
    Team Blake: Terry McDermott, Michaela Paige and Liz Davis
    Team CeeLo: Cody Belew and Nicholas David
    Team Xtina: De’borah and Sylvia Yacoub

28. MamaLis says:

I think Dez is darling and should advance next round. Don’t hate him for being beautiful. Noo.. he really has come a long way and he’s certainly got the stage presence and voice control. At least for a couple more weeks.

29. AT says:

I was honestly impressed by Sylvia, the first time in this competition that I can say that. Deb’orah is definitely my absolute favorite on team Christina. All three of her remaining team members are forgettable.

I love love love Nicholas on Ceelo’s team. Diego shouldn’t have made it this far. I’m a bit torn between the remaining three. I like aspects of each of them and feel they’ve been pretty solid, but they don’t stir me nearly as much Nicholas. I’d probably rank them Cody, Mackensie, Trevin. I don’t feel like Ceelo’s doing Trevin or Mackensie any favors by having them do the same type of song over and over.

30. Karen A. says:

Michael, how can you be ambivalent about Trevin? He’s way beyond everyone else.

• Tess says:

Do the math. Trevin doesn’t look like Cher or Liza, doesn’t sing like Barbra, Kelly C. or Freddie, and is overweight and is not a fashionista.

• Eli says:

Actually Slezak is mostly right about Trevin. Yes the kid has a lot of talent, but he also is very inexperienced and has a few bad habits that will really irk most people who know a thing or two about music.

31. Kate says:

TEAM ADAM
    Amanda Brown:Has the package. Who would buy the record though? Plus I’m a little bit worried that musically she doesn’t know where she is going…(is she mimicing musicians?)
    Bryan Keith: The voice is pretty unique. Vocally it’s very one- dimensional. I don’t think he is charismatic enough to make it very much further.
    Joselyn Rivera: Not enough technique. She needs a few more years to find her footing, musically as well as personality- wise.
    Loren Allred: I didn’t like the song choice at all. If that is what she wants to represent I don’t think it’s modern enough.
    Melanie Martinez: NO IDEA. It’s not bad. It’s not really that great either. It’s creative, I just don’t think she’s a real musician.

TEAM CEE-LO
    Cody Belew: Vocally versatile, lacks charism whilst singing sometimes too affected for my taste. What music does he want to make ultimately?
    Diego Val: See Melanie Martinez
    MacKenzie Bourg: It’s nice…for youtube videos and I really like him- he might be a songwriter…
    Nicholas David: Love him as a person. He knows who he is obviously but I don’t think that the market for music like that is selling that much anymore.
    Trevin Hunte: He’s just too young and inexperienced. Hes does not have enough knowledge about music and it shows. Period.

TEAM CHRISTINA
    Adriana Louise: She is trying and it’s very apparent. It’s too much for me. The image is perfect but there are so many resembling her…stylewise etc.
    De’Borah: She’s interesting. There is something going on but I’m not necessarily a fan. I get that people love her though.
    Devyn DeLoera: see Adriana Louise
    Dez Duron: Everything is solid and he’s pretty. That’s enough to sell records. It’s not enough for me to like him as an artist- other than that he’s perfect.
    Sylvia Yacoub: She definitely changed my opinion about her this episode but I see her suffering a little bit from the pretty-girl-solid-pop-vocals-thing that is going on this season. The second half of the KP song was very shouty- more technical planning/rehearsing befor going on stage would help.

TEAM BLAKE
    Cassadee Pope: I like her. I like her vulnerability that’s what makes her stand out for me. Vocally a few technical tweaks (breathing technique) and she’s there.
    Julio Castillo: I don’t know enough about latin/spanish etc. music to really judge but it all seems a bit schmaltzy to me. Vocal strain could be a serious problem for his chors longterm.
    Liz Davis: She is everything a country producer would want, right? Why she isn’t a big star yet is beyond me. Maybe her image is a little bit too clean. A little more eyebrow, the hair one nuance darker…I think little stuff like that yould do the trick. She’s not my cup of tea but she’s certainly a cup :D
    Micahela Paige: Not my cup of tea either but she has personality. Everythings fine I just think there already are enough people in the business that do what she’d probably do.
    Terry McDermot: My favourite hands down. BEAUTIFULl voice! Artistically he is where he’s supposed to be but I think he needs a band behind him. He’s vocally completely supperior: huge range, control, dynamics, musicality. Sometimes his experience leads to him being a little bit to relaxed on stage and that could cost him his spot. Do I think he will win? No. Do I think he should? Pretty much yes.

Please excuse this obsessively long comment. I just couldn’t sleep.

32. cz says:

Seriously, Devyn stole it from Lauren during the knockout rounds….

33. Lois Benton. says:

My favorite left at this point is De’Borah. Adam and Blake are not in my good graces. Blake lost any chance to win again when he dumped Gracia Harrison, Teresa Griffin and Suzanna Choffel. Same for Adam with Nicole Nelson and Michelle B-Thmp.

34. FreeHaley says:

With the voting demo and doing pretty well I think Dez is a lock and Sylvia had herself a good night and just may be knocking off DeBorah. Not sure who Xtina saves. Adrianna has been coming on strong and Xtina seems super pop oriented this year and all about a pure pop team, if so then she makes it and DeBorah is gone, if not then vice-versa.

35. FreeHaley says:

For Cee Lo I think Trevin is an utter lock he is the type who has done super well with The Voice voting demo and he has been doing really well. Nicholas well I think he is safe one way or the other, it might be a save, although The Voice is a show where he just might manage to get votes for a while though. I didn’t get Codey at all at first and he seemed sort of like one of the first goners but he has really come alive. Diego is no way getting the save and not the votes either the ladies in the US won’t go for the Capri pants on a guy thing I don’t think and he had one of the weakest performances this week of them all. MacKenzie, well if he gets the vote, and I think Pip and such did the first round years past then Nicholas gets the save and Codey is gone, if MacKenzie doesn’t get the vote then he is gone and Codey is safe.

36. FreeHaley says:

Hah, excellent reality check video. Sadly the Lyric 145 and Beatrice were near the bottom and the Tate was at top as reality would have it. :( And the Jillian was not even.

And the Loren eventually beat