Grey's Anatomy Recap: Grief, Stricken

Grey's Anatomy Season 9 William Daniels Sandra OhAfter months of hype, Grey’s Anatomy at long last pulled the curtain back on its big Mer/Cristina-centric episode Thursday night. The memorable hour divided its time between Seattle Grace, where Mer was tending to a super-critical patient, and the Mayo Clinic, where Cristina was also tending to a super-critical patient. Before the end credits rolled, there was a pivotal death, a long-awaited comeback, and more split-screen action than an episode of 24.

Mer’s Story | While driving to work in her fancy Mercedes SUV, Mer came upon an accident in which a cyclist had been pinned beneath a car. The victim’s name was Melissa, but let’s face it — as far as Mer was concerned, this was Lexie. The similarities between her late sister and the stranger before her were glaring: Both were women, both were in the prime of their lives, and both were “crushed by two tons of twisted metal.” Mer couldn’t save Lexie but she was sure as hell going to save Melissa. At the hospital, Webber picked up on the parallels immediately and urged Mer to hand the case over to another doctor. “I’m concerned this may be hitting a little too close to home,” he told her. “Emotions might be clouding your judgment.” Mer wasn’t convinced, and she refused to step aside. And good thing, because she ended up bringing “Lexie” back from certain death in the OR.

RELATED | Patrick Dempsey Opens Up About Re-Signing With Grey’s Anatomy, His Relationship With Ellen Pompeo, His Hopes For the Series Finale and More!

Cristina’s Story | Meanwhile, at the Mayo Clinic, Cristina had her hands full trying to stop her “sex friend” Parker from firing her “old man friend” Thomas. At issue: How to best treat a woman with a “honeycrisp”-sized aneurism. Thomas wanted to proceed with a risky surgery, while Parker wanted Thomas to proceed to the nearest retirement home. “You’re a danger to our patients,” Parker told the golden oldie. “Surrender your license. Go out gracefully. It’s time.” But Thomas stood his ground and, with his trusty sidekick Cristina by his side, moved forward with the operation. “If I’m going,” he told Cris. “I want to go down fighting.” And boy, did he ever. During the operation — shortly after he basically told Cristina that she was the daughter he never had (squish squish) — he collapsed and died. The tragedy hit Cristina hard, so hard that she high-tailed it out of snowy Minnesota and back to Seattle — specifically, Mer’s doorstep. The BFFs hugged tightly and Mer finally uttered the words, “Lexie’s dead.”

What did you think of “Beautiful Doom?” Will you miss Dr. Thomas as much as I will? Happy Cristina’s back home where she belongs?

1. kate says:

killing Mr. Feeny? low.blow.

• Stephanie says:

This!

• Cara says:

THIS SHOW CANNOT CONTINUE TO BE THIS SAD. It’s just… I can’t handle it.
      And Mr. Feeny. Of all people. How dare you.

• Mark says:

Yup. Damn them. They bring us him and make us love him so much only to kill him. HOW LONG WILL THEY PLAY ON OUR EMOTIONS? Ugh lol. So upset.

• JKR says:

WORD! That was just beyond sad! William Daniels is awesome seeing him die on my screen was hard. I ended up shouting “Da*mit, No! Not, Mr. Feeny!”

• Temperence says:

Hello, Emmy! if there is any justice in the world, we’ll see John Noble and William Daniels get a shiny statuette this season. Sandra Oh + William Daniels = unforgettable.

• applescruffs says:

I still feel a little haunted by his open eyes/open mouth while they were doing CPR. So uncool.

• tess says:

This. This. This. Another great character dies and useless idiot April STILL lives to annoy another day? WTF writers?

• shuayb says:

What you special ppl don’t seem to understand is that William Daniels was only meant to recur as a proper mentor for Christina while she was in Minnesota. At some point she had to go back. To get her there she had to have nothing holding her back in Minnesota. For that to happen her new bff had to die. He was an old man. At least he died in the OR. It was a good way to send her to where she needs to be.

• Dawn says:

Its always refreshing to find at least one other person who seems to be rational. Unless there was going to be a Cristina spin-off in Minnesota, Thomas/Feeny, whatever you want to call him had to die. It would have been horrible to make him retire. Shonda said last week on twitter that the was absolutely no room in the budget for anything else.

• Sophie says:

Agreed! It was amazing to see cristina with dr thomas. And yes it’s sad to see him die but at some point, the girls had to be reunited! And it was an amazing way to bring cristina back. The thomas voice- off was powerful. This is really a classic grey’s anatomy episode, moving, many tears but some funny parts too.
          I realize with such an episode that Mer-Cristina’s relationship has become the real driving force of the show over the years.
          I wish the writers would now focus more on the trio Alex-Mer-cristina, the original cast but there are so many characters. A good storyline for Alex, please!!! I can see him fall for Mer’s resident, the brunette. She reminds me of Izzie. I also wish they give us more fun now! Go back as it started, more light, fun, akwardness and sexyness :)

• luli says:

i loved dr. thomas even though we saw him for a few episodes… his death was really sad and i cried a lot!! never expected that they would kill him! :(

2. Julie says:

Boring episode.

3. A says:

Best episode this season thus far. Made me proud to be a fan. That BFF situation is the cornerstone of what makes the show as good as seasons 1 and 2. Hope it can stay on track amidst all the stupid new characters.

4. Starr says:

I don’t think I’ve cried that hard in a Grey’s episode EVER. Dr. Thomas’s relationship with Cristina, while short, I think may be the most impactful she’s ever had on this show (aside from Mer), especially when you consider the fact that she became a CT surgeon bc of her father’s death. She’s never had a “dad” and she gets attached to her mentors. For once, she had one who saw her for who she truly is and didn’t want to change anything about her. Dr. Thomas was truly proud of her and through that I think she found the understanding and acceptance that she’s always craved. So glad she’s be back in Seattle though!

• Grey'sfan says:

Totally agree! Grey’s often makes me cry, but this time was different. As you said, he didn’t want to change her, he didn’t want anything from her, and he saw her for the talent that she is. I really got hooked by their relationship and storyline. I hate that he’s gone. But I am happy she is going back to Seattle.

• Emma says:

I must admit, I shed a tear or two or three. But then when Mer ran to her door and pulled it open and Cristina was there, I was like, YES!!!

• Joy says:

I thought it was a terrific episode. Going to miss Dr Thomas but he he ‘did it his way’. So sad. Love the way he told Chritine he was so proud of her. Meredith was doing for her patient what no one could have done for Lexie. Closure for her. Happy to see Christine back in Seattle.

5. Brett says:

Saddest episode ever.

6. K says:

I missed everyone else but it was a good episode.

7. adam says:

mr.fenny in boy meets world sequel? :)

8. Kevin H. says:

Shonda Rhimes killed George Feeny! D:

9. DarkDefender says:

Great, great episode. RIP Dr. Craig Thomas.. That voice over speech by Willam Daniels while Cristina walked past Parker was amazing..

Bonus: Cristina is back at SGMW! and next week’s previews looked great..

10. soxfan says:

So sad (sniff-sniff) Dr. Mark Craig aka Dr. Craig Thomas died – I just loved Wm. Daniels & Sandra Oh’s pairing. They taught each other things in all seriousness but they could also very hilarious!!!! How appropriate that he would die performing heart surgery. Loved how she kept hearing “his voice” telling her this & that & reminding her this & that after he died. He was like a father-type figure to her. Old Fashioned ….. RIP Dr. Thomas – welcome home Cristina!!! Now make nice with your hubby & make me a happy camper!!! :-)

11. Em says:

Such a well done episode. Sandra Oh and Ellen Pompeo constantly knock it out of the park. This season has been really good so far. So glad Christina has come back home.

12. Em says:

I like to read recaps before I watch episodes (crazy, I know) but now I am NOT going to watch this one. It KILLS me when old people are sad, get hurt, or die. And I’m the biggest Boy Meets World fan. So Feeny dying means I’ll be crying for a week. NOTHANKYOU!

• Dawn says:

Em, then you’re going to miss an excellent episode. Dr. Thomas was awesome throughout and while it was incredibly sad, he went out fighting to the end. His speech to Cristina was amazing. He acknowledged that she loved him and that he was proud she did. He also talked over the episode where she took her boards and what he saw in her. He stood up to Parker defiantly! Go online and watch it. Sad but worth it.

• Alex says:

I feel the same way! It’s just too hard for me to watch, especially since two of my grandparents died fairly recently. I had a feeling several episodes ago that Dr. Thomas would end up dying. :(

13. Drew says:

I knew Shonda was going to kill Dr. Thomas off, but I didn’t want to believe it. He was the best thing that ever happened to Cristina….. I’m going to miss their friendship terribly.
    I didn’t care about the rest. Thank god for the DVR and the FF button.

14. J says:

Finney will probably go to be Finney again, so as soon as I heard about the Boy meets world news, I thought his time was ticking in Grey’s.

15. Lynyrd says:

I honestly think this was the best episode of the season, possibly even of the series. But that my just be my Mr. Feeny bias speaking.

I loved Dr. Thomas’ voice over after Cristina saw his body bag. I’m glad she’s returned to Seattle. She needed to go to Mayo and work with Dr. Thomas and learn some things. I loved that he taught her, but he never wanted to change her. I kinda hope that she writes that paper and still gives him lead spot on the by-line, just as a final tribute to him.

16. Kelly Laipply says:

I so wanted William Daniels to come back to Seattle with Yang. He’s going to win a guest star emmy for those episodes. Great episode.

17. Riah says:

I know Shonda loves to kill people on her show….but SERIOUSLY killing Mr. Feeney (or whatever name they choose he’s still Mr. Feeney) was soooo wrong. I agree with above posts, he should have gone with Christiana back to Seattle.

18. madhatter360 says:

Was the sound really echo-y when Meredith and Christina were on the phone with each other for everyone, or just me?

• A says:

No, I heard it too. I think they did it intentionally although I have no idea why because it was very distracting.

• amy324 says:

I happen to have my tv speakers sitting right next to me so I can hear it and the neighbors can’t. When it was a split screen, Meredith’s voice was only coming from the left channel, and Christina’s from the right. That’s why it sounded weird. Sounded even weirder to me, because I apparently have my speaker wires crossed behind the tv and the voices were on the wrong sides. :)
      BTW, loved the episode.

• Maris says:

I think it was supposed to be about how they just tell each other whatever they’re thinking? so kinda like having the voiceovers they were having throughout the episode, they just let it all out with each other or something like that

19. Alice says:

He’ll always be Dr. Mark Craig from St. Elsewhere to me. He was one of the best parts of GA this season, but it makes sense that it would take his death to get Cristina back onto a plane. I love how Cristina has learned from him. Can’t wait to see her terrify the interns next week.

• Dawn says:

Her being drunk when she got to Meredith’s house was freaking hilarious. She had to pretty much drug herself with alcohol to be able to get on the plane but she made it!

20. IMHO says:

Sorry to be so ignorant but what is a “honeycrisp”?

• MelindaB says:

It’s an apple that is native to Minnesota…and that lives up to its name. They’re deliciously sweet and crisp.

• DH says:

They also tend to have a particularly obvious shape: shorter but wider than something like a red delicious or fuji/gala.

• Temperence says:

They are easily the best eating apple in creation. Sweet and tart, and apple, crisp and juicy – it’s what you always thought an apple should be (but wasn’t… until now).

21. Kare says:

Loved this epi! But Dr. Mark Craig, I mean Dr. Craig Thomas dying… So not right. No no no….

22. Jill says:

I liked the episode but I wish it was Cristina and Alex centric. Alex is far more interesting than Meredith and deserves his own storyline. I am still hoping that his sister will come to Seattle.

23. MikeS says:

William Daniels will/has to win a Guest Actor Emmy next year. Now, maybe we can see him on Girl Meets World….FEEENEEY!!!

24. A says:

Amazing episode (aside from the echoing during the Mer and Christina convos). They should do these character-centric episodes more often (I would love a Bailey-centric episode because these episodes have been low on the Bailey and this show needs more comedy soon to take away from all the sadness). Why’d they have to kill Mr. Feeney off so soon? I was loving his dynamic with Christina. I guess it might be a way for them to bring Christina back to Seattle for good.

25. Sarah says:

I started to wonder if they were going to kill him off about halfway through that surgery. There were so many Cristina/Thomas moments that episode (“You love me more than anyone has in a long time”, “I’m your dream come true”/”That is true,” and finally “I want the world to know I helped teach you”)… it was getting a little too good to be true. I started getting worried as soon as I realized that :( That’s one of Shonda’s favourite tricks though – making us love a relationship even more just before she destroys them. See also Teddy/Henry, Mark/Lexie, Izzie/Denny etc.

26. Tiff says:

Ellen and Sandra were amazing in the episode. Ellen really hit it out of the park (Emmy). Why Shonda kill someone else I have come to Love Dr. Thomas. I shouted NO! and cried. He could have come to Seattle with Cristina. At least I know you can save a 28 year old girl now. Shonda Rhimes you let us down again with a episode you wrote. You promise yet again a Meredith breakdown and we got nothing. And as a loyal fan for 9 season and a Lexie Fan I am very upset and disappoint in the way you are treating Our Beloved Lexie memory. It made me CRY at the end because I was expecting for much more from you Shonda. It Sucks. Lexie can’t evey BUY a 2 hour episode like George, Mark and Denny, a Montage to music or even clips that do not have anything to do with the STUPID plane crash from you Shonda Rhimes. That’s not fair to her fans. I feel you are being mean, cruel and down right low down to Lexie’s Fans Because that how I feel you are being to me. I know it just a TV show but it my favorite tv show. (Shonda I know you probably tell me to get a therapist like you told a woman on Twiitter LOL) Lexie is my favorite character on Grey’s next to Dr. Bailey. Lexie was an amazing character and Chyler was amazing as her. She deserves so much more like everyone else (George Mark Denny) Chyler/Lexie was such an important part of the Grey’s Family for 5 years. Shonda do right by her and her fans. Better yet bring Lexie back alive and Mark too. I still LOVE you Shonda but I hate the direction your my # 1 show on. I keep watching because I LOVE the actors and actresses on Grey’s and I will remain Loyal to them until the End. Grey’s Fan For Life!

27. Grey matter says:

Sandra Oh, quite possibly the ugliest woman on television, combined with incredibly bad story writing and dialogue = nothing to see here, move along.

28. Forwarddad says:

You are An ass & a troll

29. Greysfanatic says:

I liked the episode but I kind of felt that there should have been more of Merideth dealing with Lexie’s death. I see the parallels that they drew with her patient, but that’s it? I was way more emotional about yang’s story because of Mr. Feeny and was hoping that when Merideth would deal, she would really deal with it. Maybe they’ll dive more into it if her father comes back sometime.

• Lauren says:

It’s pretty annoying how no one seems to give a cr@p about Lexie dying. Avery hasn’t said one thing about it and he dated her! So did Karev. Ridic.

30. Alia says:

Stop this agony, I want Grey’s Anatomy back and not this crap, the plane plot was a HUGE mistake, Mark and Lexie deaths too, if Eric Dane and Chyler Leigh want to leave the show there are millions of ways to do it but NOT killing them off. I’m MerDer fan and I think they already had too much crap in their lives, and all of this was made to harm them indirectly.

• THIS! I quit the show because of this!!! Lexie and Mark were two of my falrite characters. I thought about watching the show when Neve Campbell guest stars, but Shonda makes it so, so, so hard. After Private Practice is done, I’m done with her forever…

31. Dawn says:

Shonda didn’t write this episode. Jeannine Renshaw did. Or some variation of that first name.

32. Dena says:

Wasn’t expecting Dr. Thomas to die but I should have known since he was the only thing keeping her there. So incredibly sad & I was crying. As for Mer, eh. I still wish she & Lexie had a goodbye scene so wasn’t feeling her at all

33. Ana says:

Mer/Cristina fans will be happy. I found it boring. I like Mer in small doses. It appears that the biggest impact of the episode was the death of Mr. Finney. I never watched Boy Meets World so the significance was lost on me. But when he dropped dead my reaction was, ‘C’mon! Another one?’ It’s getting ridiculous. You know what happens when you over use a plot, it diminishes the impact. Enough already. The only part that I liked was the last scene when Cristina showed up at Mer’s door. Did not see that coming but yey! Finally. As I was watching the episode I just kept thinking how boring that Mayo storyline is. It was time for Cristina to come back. And that scene when Mer said we need a 30 second dance break or whatever, that was cute. Looking forward to next week when Cristina becomes the queen of mean. Yes!

34. lauren says:

I even made a comment during the episode on how much I was loving Cristina & Feeny’s relationship, absolutely loved everything about it. Then a few minutes later I had uncontrollable tears running down my face because he was dying. Gah Shonda you are too cruel! I think a piece of my childhood was destroyed while watching Mr. Feeny die.

35. Trina says:

After years of not actually seeing Meredith being a surgeon- sure you saw her in surgeries but not like last nights – you finally see her as a real doctor, taking charge and living up to the expectation of her background. It was great to see.

36. Margie says:

I’ve always loved William Daniels ever since St. Elsewhere. I was so sad when they had him die.

37. Lauren says:

Great episode up until Shonda killed yet another character fans like. The only way she knows how to move a story forward is by killing someone. It’s getting old and ridiculous.

38. Dr. Thomas saved Christina and we should be thankful for that. He lifted her up off the floor and encouraged her to take her life back. I loved him, but I’m happy she’s back with Mer. It was not fun having Christina & Mer apart. Also I’m ready for her & Owen to fix things.

39. Jesse says:

Can Shonda please rename this show “The Torture of Meredith Grey and Christina Yang?” I’m all for drama, but these characters have been hurt enough — especially of late. This dark and twisty needs a little happy every now and then too.

40. heather says:

Yeah, but they had to kill Dr. (Kitt) Feeney, so he could go back and be the principal on Girl Meets World, right?

41. Eric says:

Phenomenal episode. The best so far this season. I thought it had a good balance of happy and sad. I loved the 30 second OR dance party. I loved Dr. Feeney’s voice over as Cristina was walking past his body. The ending was perfect. I think Cristina’s response to Meredith, “Everyone’s dead” was powerful. It was great to see them back together. This is the episode that Sandra Oh and Ellen Pompeo should submit for Emmy consideration. It is a travesty that Ellen hasn’t been nominated and that Sandra hasn’t won. I also really liked Cristina’s internal voiceover when she was in bed with Dr. Rex Vandekamp. “I’m not a spoon, I am a knife and I am going to stab you in the eyeball.” Classic.

• Eric says:

Also, the moment when Mer dropped Zola off with Callie. A great moment and affirmation for working mothers. Well done.

42. Nicole says:

I really enjoyed this episode. I love Dr. Thomas and i loved what he said to Christina before he collapsed. I was sad that Greys killed him off though. He fixed christina and made her realize so many things. I am happy to have our yang back at seattle grace next week with mer. I also think christina will have a baby with owen or at least be pregnant before this series is over, I want MER AND DER to have a baby. I love zola but i want to see mer unexpectedly not feel well and then BOOM she finds out she is pregnant.

43. Whitney says:

Am I the only one who hopes 30-second dance party becomes Mer’s surgery thing like “it’s a beautiful day to save lives” is Derek’s thing?

I also loved Cristina having a mentor that she wasn’t sleeping with. Really cool dynamic, and one of my favorite friendships of the series even if it was short lived.

44. Sara says:

Cristina & Feeny (Sorry, he will always be Feeny to me) had a fantastic friendship. I was talking to my brother yesterday and he had seen the episode before I did, and I had said how Feeny was a great addition to the show. And then he died. And my brother didn’t warn me, nobody warned me. So I cried. Because Shonda killed Feeny. Two deaths on on TV shows have made me scream at the television – Feeny, and Jerry Barber(Rookie Blue). Either way. Good episode but still. </3.

45. Allison says:

I thought it was a great episode. I knew Feeney was dead man walking but he went out his way and gave wonderful advice to Cristina throughout the episode and they had to find a way to get her back to Seattle. Very happy that both the patients lived. Ellen Pompeo and Sandra Oh rock.

46. LC says:

Am I the only one who caught the “It’s not Craig! It’s Dr. Thomas!” ? For those who don’t get it, check out IMDB and look for William Daniels in the cast list. I’m still giggling over that one!

47. mandy says:

I loved the episode. To me it seemed like it could be a turning point for the whole season. I can’t wait for next week to see if Cristina sticks around and see how everyone reacts. I am not gonna lie I missed the guys :( (Too little Alex and Avery ) But having the episode focus on Cristina and Mer was great.

48. spheniscid says:

I thought William Daniels & Sandra Oh had some of the best on-screen chemistry I’ve seen in a while. They had such an adorable relationship; I was really hoping that they’d transplant both of them back to Seattle (which isn’t very realistic, just wishful thinking). Such a sad ending, but I thought it was poignant nonetheless.

49. grace says:

William Daniels & Sandra Oh were gold together, worst idea ever to kill him off.

50. Cindy says:

Mr Feeny was so wonderful to watch! he took away the pain of losing Lexie and Mark. Goodbye My Feeny…we will always love you :)