Ratings: The Mob Doctor Ticks Up, Gossip Girl Drops, Castle Matches Series Low

Gossip Girl, 'Portrait of a Lady Alexander'Though perhaps too little too late, Fox’s Mob Doctor showed signs of life on Monday night, rising a tenth in the demo from its last original outing to score a 1.0 rating, while holding steady at 3.4 million total viewers. As such, it was the night’s only gainer.

Amongst the shows that dropped, Gossip Girl — with 660,000 viewers and a 0.3 rating — fell 31 and 25 percent, hitting what I suspect may be a series-low in the demo, while Castle (10.1 mil/1.9) failed to turn its convention-episode buzz into shiny numbers, instead slipping 7 and 14 percent to tie a series low rating.

RELATED | Castle Recap: What Shiny Moment Made You Geek Out the Most?

Elsewhere on Monday….

* Dancing With the Stars drew 13.4 million total viewers (the night’s largest audience) while netting a 2.1 rating, down a few percentage points week-to-week. The Voice (12.2 mil/4.5) scored Monday’s best demo number, and was also down a smidgen.

RELATED | The Voice Recap (Live Playoffs — Part 1): Dream Until Your Dreams Come True

* On CBS, How I Met Your Mother (7.2 mil/2.8), 2 Broke Girls (9.2 mil/3.3) and Mike & Molly (8.8 mil/2.8) each dipped a bit, while Partners was steady at 5.8 mil/2.1. Hawaii Five-0 (7.4 mil/2.0) slipped a tenth in the demo and placed third at 10 pm in total audience.

* Leading into The Mob Doctor, Bones was flat with 7.3 mil and a 2.0.

RELATED | Revolution Reveal: One Power-ful Mystery Solved…?

* Revolution (7.7 mil/2.9) dominated its time slot in the demo and edged out H50 in total audience, but dipped a few percentage points week-to-week.

What were you tuned into this Monday evening?

1. John says:

The Castle drop surprises.

• Marcia says:

Hopefully the ratings drop it was an anomaly. Castle is a great show and typically performs well.

• april-ann says:

True, but the two leads got together. Fans enjoy the afterglow but a show’s ratings seldom do.

• Marcia says:

That’s also a valid point. But I feel there are times that it has worked well: such as Chuck, Monica and Chandler’s relationship on Friends and also The Office to name a few.. I’m hoping that the writers are committed to staying true to the characters and their new relationship.

• april-ann says:

I agree for the most part. I never watched Chuck so cannot comment; Monica and Chandler were part of an ensemble, although I for one enjoy reruns of Friends far more before they got together; Jim and Pam weren’t leads but again, and I know this is just me but I don’t watch near as many reruns of The Office after the S3 ep “The Job Part 2″ as before that ep. But you’re right that the couplings on both those shows worked out well for the shows. Sam and Diane on Cheers got together and that show was still gold but to keep it that way they did break them up (plus she left). But notice it’s only sitcoms we’ve commented on? I sincerely want to know: can anyone think of an hour-long where the two leads finally got together and the ratings stayed as high or increased?

• Marcia says:

Hmm. Great question. I will have to give it some thought.

2. Emily says:

The Castle drop saddens :(

3. Troula says:

This was seriously one of the best Castle episodes… Wtf US?

• John says:

The Con theme strayed too far from the core audience?

• Symce says:

Its was voting evening too, over here in netherlands on voting evening, I go to bed early to vote before work (as usually after work there’s lineups everywhere, plus I dont wanna spend extra hours after work just for voting) anyhow, thats my explanation, notice almost no show gained numbers anywhere with the exception of mob doctor.

• Emily says:

Grey’s did a Con theme a few years ago and it was one of my least favorites episodes but I got through it. After about twenty minutes of Castle last night I changed the channel. I just could not get into it.

• Meghan says:

I think this was probably a hit or miss for a lot of people. You either love sci-fi or you hate it, so a lot of people probably stayed away b/c of that. I personally loved it, and have already given it another watch to catch things I missed on the first viewing. I’d also like to point out though, that while 1.9 may be a series low for Castle, it’s actually not that far off of the average of 2.0-2.2. It’s usually pretty consistent with its demo ratings.

• Luminosity says:

I know! The inside jokes were hilarious! I loved it!

4. Andrea says:

The drop for Castle is depressing. I really enjoyed the episode but maybe the sci-fi angle didn’t appeal to some people?

• Marilyn says:

I too enjoyed the ep, but can’t say I was excited about seeing it as I’ve been with previous eps (especially ep5). Although I am not a sci-fi person, I still enjoyed the show. I prefer Castle eps with more of a plot. Castle is a great show regardless and season 5 has been outstanding.

5. John says:

Revolution still getting those ratings with such a huge drop in Voice ratings makes me realize this show is a genuine hit and deservedly so. Its improving every episode. Last night’s episode was awesome.

Come on! Castle was hilarious. Good episode. It deserves a higher rating. Loved the Firefly reference.

6. me says:

lol GG didn’t even hit a million viewers? This is not convincing me to catch up at all

7. Mia says:

Go Revolution !!!! Great episode.
    HaHa , Hawaii 50, anemic numbers. Remakes are so so stupid. Serves them right, Get fresh ideas people !!

8. Nadia says:

Can someone please tell me why the “demo” is so important? I mean Castle had the most overall viewers for the timeslot, yet everyone is saying that the episode tanked?!?!? I have a masters degree and I am sooooo confused….

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The demo delivery is what advertisers pay for, the viewers age 18-49.

• Andrea says:

The demo is what advertisers pay for, a better demo brings the network more money from ad sales. So a better demo means more profit for a network. Castle’s high number of viewers just kills me because the demo doesn’t match :(

• KCC says:

Advertisers believe that people aged 18-49 are more likely to change the buying habits, whereas as people 50 and over are less likely to try new products and/or change the products that they use. As a result, the advertisers run their ads during shows that attract 18-49 year olds as they believe it would result in higher sales.

9. sara jane says:

i can’t believe the castle ratings….it was one of the best episodes ever….i kept looking at the clock hoping it would last longer

10. Alex says:

Honestly, I wasn’t even all that into that Castle episode last night. I hope it rises next week because that documentary style one looks like it’s going to be funny but this episode certainly wasn’t my favorite.

11. Karen says:

The castle ratings depress me but then again maybe the fact it was a sci fi themed ep didnt appeal to people and the fact some people were out voting early

12. kentucky says:

Please Matt, the Bones being “flat” has to be a win considering most other shows are dropping, Your bias shows.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

How does relating the fact that a show was “flat” (meaning: same numbers as previous airing) indicate bias…?

• Sarah says:

Matt, yes, it had the same numbers, but it’s been on a 4-week hiatus. It did well, imo, because it didn’t drop at all.

• Kendall says:

LOL. Take off the tinfoil hat, please. Matt isn’t out to get your favorite show with his matter-of-fact ratings dispatch.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

Did it go up? No. Did it go down? Also a no Therefore it remained flat. This lesson was brought to you today by the letter “M.”

13. Alichat says:

Castle hit its series low?? Damn. It was such a great episode.

14. nikki says:

gossip girl registered on my dvr as a repeat and didn’t record.

15. Ivy says:

People in charge of Castle need to realise that majority of their audience doesn’t care about sci-fi. Too bad last week’s demo won’t matter because they had the best ratings this season.

• Winter says:

I don’t care about interior decoration or accounting, either, yet they’ve had murderers in that milieu. It’s just another setting, not a total genre shift.

• Jk says:

Not exactly accurate. While they might have had say an interior decorating milieu based murder, it was not filled with in jokes and terminology that the average watcher would not understand.

• Katherine215 says:

But you didn’t need to get the in-jokes to enjoy the episode. And Beckett’s reasons for liking Nebula-9 really had nothing to do with sci-fi.

• Winter says:

The word you’re looking for is “analogous” .

My opinion is that the show worked whether you got the in jokes or not. Your mileage may vary.

• KCC says:

Nathan Fillion has a loyal fan-base because of his roles in sci-fi/fantasy shows like Firefly and Buffy. Although sci-fi buffs may not represent the total audience, there’s still a substantial number of us.

Thank you, producers of Castle, for giving us fun comic-con themed episode of Castle.

16. Lena says:

HAHAHAHAHA. Gossip Girl’s ratings are HILARIOUS. What an awful show, glad to see the number of salivating idiots is declining in this country.

17. Jared says:

I really like The Mob Doctor..why so much hate? I mean the ratings are awful but that doesn’t necessarily mean the show is too.

18. saragorman says:

Shocked that Castle hit a series low. Such s great episode. Season 5 keeps getting better and better!

19. TJCrinc says:

are all of you blind? 10 million viewers and 1.9 and your bitching that its the series low? in case you havent noticed, 10 million viewers is alot, and 1.9 is quite high for a series low. get over it.

• Dyhmond says:

1.9 is not high at all. Also, just because you don’t think that a 1.9 is a low number *does not* mean that it is not a series low. It is. A show can bring in 20 million viewers but so long as its demo is extremely low, many advertisers would write it off. Get over yourself and learn something.

• Gem says:

Yep and Harry’s Law would average 9-10 million viewers each week and still got canceled. Demo matters whether you agree with that fact is obviously your choice but writing it off or denying it will not save a show no matter how much you enjoy it.

20. leigh says:

I’m surprised at castle’s ratings as well. The episode was funny and I thought the Sci FI genre was something people would look forward to. Did MNF affect it?

21. tvfan says:

Gossip Girl has become unwatchable. The numbers aren’t surprising, it’s going out with a whimper.

22. I loved this Castle ep. Feel badly for people who don’t have a sense of adventure, if they’re not syfy oriented or a sense of humor, which this ep was laced with thru and thru. And …it’s Castle, y’know? With all the main characters, banter, cute and intimate moments. So what if the theme is not your cup of tea, it’s still CASTLE. However, I do believe a good portion of the country may have had other pressing issues (remnants of a superstorm) going on in their heads and elections may have added to it. I also agree with Jared, Mob Doctor is not a bad show, needs to develop the main character a little more but has potential.

23. siska says:

I also shocked about Castle, I think that Castle have a huge viewers and fans, but when come down to demo it getting low and this sci-fi episode was something new and every episode week to week castle really gets better. And the theme each episode get interesting. Sci-fi, documentary, and this season they gonna make christmas episode. Wow..

24. Lilys87 says:

I was less entousiastic with this week’s Castle but was higly satisfied with it. The episode was vey funny and the references nicely put. Those ratings are a disappointment really. Hope the rest of the season will tip up.

25. gary says:

Gossip Girl is a joke now. This season should be focusing on Blair/Serena being friends again. No one cares about Bart Bass or Ivy…Seriously wth are the writers doing with these last few episodes?

• Summer says:

I’m a little annoyed because the writers promised that this season would be about Blair and Serena and their relationship…and they hardly have any scenes together.

26. Lisa says:

Loved Castle last night. I am not a Neilson family so I could care less about the ratings. We will get a season six I have no doubt, so I am happy. I do feel bad for the people who work on the show and to whom this stuff is life and death. Hopefully they get some validation from the fan support they receive.

27. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Castle will be fine – no need to worry – the show will be back next fall. The ratings will rise/fall for the show week to week, but overall, Castle fans don’t worry – the show is doing well. ABC has plenty of other headaches to deal with including what to replace Private Practice in January (Body of Proof?), then what to do with Last Resort (Zero Hour?) and then 666 Park (Red Widow?). Once ABC gets all that sorted out, then they may need to examine Nashville a bit closer if those numbers don’t improve. But for now, Castle is fine – this time next year, maybe not, but for now, all is fine – enjoy the show.

28. Tanya says:

Gossip Girl deserves a 0.0 to be quite honest. Horrible show. Horrible writing, horrible plotting, horrible ideas and all the actors have given up.

29. champmav says:

Something is seriously flawed with the Nielson rating system or the TV watching public; Castle was superior. Perhaps the “con” favoring types are more niche than I think, but all indications have been that “nerd” culture has been embraced by the more mainstream influences of U.S. zeitgeist. Too much consequence is attributed to this antiquated system. We lose high quality, well produced entertainment as a result.

30. DW says:

A lot of the Monday night shows were actually repeats of last week’s episodes, since at least on the east coast they were pre-empted for hurricane coverage. But DVRs mistakenly registered them as already-recorded instead of new because DVRs can’t “see” the episode to see that it’s news and not the television show the digital info says it is. So people on the east coast would have missed the episodes twice if they were recording. I think that would have an effect on the numbers?

31. LOL says:

Can Chuck Bass look any more gay than he does in that photo?
    No wonder GG suck this season.

32. Jennfier says:

Does this information include DVRs? I know I didn’t watch the Castle ep cause I went to bed early knowing I had to get up early to be at the polls on time….long lines, rain and all. I plan on catching up tonight. Can’t wait to get home and watch it actually. What with Cmdr Riker directing and Nathan Stark guest starring with a comic con style setting. It’s a geek fan girl’s dream.

33. kate says:

Gossip Girl has been downright awful this year. Usually there’s a redeeming feature or two, but this final season feels like they just phoned it in. The Bart Bass storyline is, for me, where GG finally jumped the shark, and I HATE Sage. Did they need to bring in a new bitchy teenager? We did this already when Blair was a bitchy teenager. Also, Rufus & Ivy? WTF. Do the Lily/Rufus reunion be done with it. Wrap this up and let’s move on.

34. Brian says:

Last night’s Castle episode was classic. It was really enjoyable if your were a Firefly fan.

35. oliver says:

RIP Gossip Girl! CW should have killed and buried it 2 years ago.