Ratings: The Mob Doctor Ticks Up, Gossip Girl Drops, Castle Matches Series Low

Get More: News, Ratings

Gossip Girl, 'Portrait of a Lady Alexander'Though perhaps too little too late, Fox’s Mob Doctor showed signs of life on Monday night, rising a tenth in the demo from its last original outing to score a 1.0 rating, while holding steady at 3.4 million total viewers. As such, it was the night’s only gainer.

Amongst the shows that dropped, Gossip Girl — with 660,000 viewers and a 0.3 rating — fell 31 and 25 percent, hitting what I suspect may be a series-low in the demo, while Castle (10.1 mil/1.9) failed to turn its convention-episode buzz into shiny numbers, instead slipping 7 and 14 percent to tie a series low rating.

RELATED | Castle Recap: What Shiny Moment Made You Geek Out the Most?

Elsewhere on Monday….

* Dancing With the Stars drew 13.4 million total viewers (the night’s largest audience) while netting a 2.1 rating, down a few percentage points week-to-week. The Voice (12.2 mil/4.5) scored Monday’s best demo number, and was also down a smidgen.

RELATED | The Voice Recap (Live Playoffs — Part 1): Dream Until Your Dreams Come True

* On CBS, How I Met Your Mother (7.2 mil/2.8), 2 Broke Girls (9.2 mil/3.3) and Mike & Molly (8.8 mil/2.8) each dipped a bit, while Partners was steady at 5.8 mil/2.1. Hawaii Five-0 (7.4 mil/2.0) slipped a tenth in the demo and placed third at 10 pm in total audience.

* Leading into The Mob Doctor, Bones was flat with 7.3 mil and a 2.0.

RELATED | Revolution Reveal: One Power-ful Mystery Solved…?

* Revolution (7.7 mil/2.9) dominated its time slot in the demo and edged out H50 in total audience, but dipped a few percentage points week-to-week.

What were you tuned into this Monday evening?

Comments (76)

• The Castle drop surprises.

Comment by John – November 6, 2012 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully the ratings drop it was an anomaly. Castle is a great show and typically performs well.

Comment by Marcia – November 6, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • True, but the two leads got together. Fans enjoy the afterglow but a show’s ratings seldom do.

Comment by april-ann – November 6, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s also a valid point. But I feel there are times that it has worked well: such as Chuck, Monica and Chandler’s relationship on Friends and also The Office to name a few.. I’m hoping that the writers are committed to staying true to the characters and their new relationship.

Comment by Marcia – November 6, 2012 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I agree for the most part. I never watched Chuck so cannot comment; Monica and Chandler were part of an ensemble, although I for one enjoy reruns of Friends far more before they got together; Jim and Pam weren’t leads but again, and I know this is just me but I don’t watch near as many reruns of The Office after the S3 ep “The Job Part 2″ as before that ep. But you’re right that the couplings on both those shows worked out well for the shows. Sam and Diane on Cheers got together and that show was still gold but to keep it that way they did break them up (plus she left). But notice it’s only sitcoms we’ve commented on? I sincerely want to know: can anyone think of an hour-long where the two leads finally got together and the ratings stayed as high or increased?

Comment by april-ann – November 6, 2012 03:37 PM PDT
          • Hmm. Great question. I will have to give it some thought.

Comment by Marcia – November 6, 2012 04:17 PM PDT
  • The Castle drop saddens :(

Comment by Emily – November 6, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was seriously one of the best Castle episodes… Wtf US?

Comment by Troula – November 6, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Con theme strayed too far from the core audience?

Comment by John – November 6, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Its was voting evening too, over here in netherlands on voting evening, I go to bed early to vote before work (as usually after work there’s lineups everywhere, plus I dont wanna spend extra hours after work just for voting) anyhow, thats my explanation, notice almost no show gained numbers anywhere with the exception of mob doctor.

Comment by Symce – November 6, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Grey’s did a Con theme a few years ago and it was one of my least favorites episodes but I got through it. After about twenty minutes of Castle last night I changed the channel. I just could not get into it.

Comment by Emily – November 6, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think this was probably a hit or miss for a lot of people. You either love sci-fi or you hate it, so a lot of people probably stayed away b/c of that. I personally loved it, and have already given it another watch to catch things I missed on the first viewing. I’d also like to point out though, that while 1.9 may be a series low for Castle, it’s actually not that far off of the average of 2.0-2.2. It’s usually pretty consistent with its demo ratings.

Comment by Meghan – November 6, 2012 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! The inside jokes were hilarious! I loved it!

Comment by Luminosity – November 6, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The drop for Castle is depressing. I really enjoyed the episode but maybe the sci-fi angle didn’t appeal to some people?

Comment by Andrea – November 6, 2012 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I too enjoyed the ep, but can’t say I was excited about seeing it as I’ve been with previous eps (especially ep5). Although I am not a sci-fi person, I still enjoyed the show. I prefer Castle eps with more of a plot. Castle is a great show regardless and season 5 has been outstanding.

Comment by Marilyn – November 7, 2012 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revolution still getting those ratings with such a huge drop in Voice ratings makes me realize this show is a genuine hit and deservedly so. Its improving every episode. Last night’s episode was awesome.

Come on! Castle was hilarious. Good episode. It deserves a higher rating. Loved the Firefly reference.

Comment by John – November 6, 2012 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Voice got 4.9 last week, just to be clear.

Comment by John – November 6, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • To be even clearer, THE VOICE wound up with a 4.8 last Monday, so it was down 6 percent.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 6, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well thanks for that, Matt. Lol.

Comment by John – November 6, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I didn’t check the final ratings. Sorry.

Comment by John – November 6, 2012 09:55 AM PDT
    • Actually I found last night’s episode of Revolution predictable and boring. The reveal at the end was so obvious. This is the first episode I wasn’t really happy with, but I still love the show.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 6, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The scene with the lighthouse-ship and the ode to Avatar, the animated series was brilliantly done. I loved it.

Comment by John – November 6, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Enjoy Revolution while you can; NBC is making it go through a 4 month break in the early spring, which will effectively kill it.

Comment by Dyhmond – November 6, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • whats killing it for me is how irritating Charlie is

Comment by kevin – November 7, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol GG didn’t even hit a million viewers? This is not convincing me to catch up at all

Comment by me – November 6, 2012 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t this season is beyond terrible.

Comment by Nora – November 6, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is so bad this year, it isn’t even worth watching . . . And I had such great hopes.

Comment by sarah – November 6, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • go ahead and watch if you want to watch a show about Bart Bass and his oversea adventures…This season is just horrible

Comment by gary – November 6, 2012 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • wonder if they’ll have any viewers left by the end of the season

Comment by Alex – November 6, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It hasn’t hit a million all season, and for good reason it is beyond lazy, I’m not even going to bother watching again until the finale.

Comment by Drewer – November 6, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Revolution !!!! Great episode.
    HaHa , Hawaii 50, anemic numbers. Remakes are so so stupid. Serves them right, Get fresh ideas people !!

Comment by Mia – November 6, 2012 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can someone please tell me why the “demo” is so important? I mean Castle had the most overall viewers for the timeslot, yet everyone is saying that the episode tanked?!?!? I have a masters degree and I am sooooo confused….

Comment by Nadia – November 6, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The demo delivery is what advertisers pay for, the viewers age 18-49.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 6, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The demo is what advertisers pay for, a better demo brings the network more money from ad sales. So a better demo means more profit for a network. Castle’s high number of viewers just kills me because the demo doesn’t match :(

Comment by Andrea – November 6, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Advertisers believe that people aged 18-49 are more likely to change the buying habits, whereas as people 50 and over are less likely to try new products and/or change the products that they use. As a result, the advertisers run their ads during shows that attract 18-49 year olds as they believe it would result in higher sales.

Comment by KCC – November 6, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i can’t believe the castle ratings….it was one of the best episodes ever….i kept looking at the clock hoping it would last longer

Comment by sara jane – November 6, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I wasn’t even all that into that Castle episode last night. I hope it rises next week because that documentary style one looks like it’s going to be funny but this episode certainly wasn’t my favorite.

Comment by Alex – November 6, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The castle ratings depress me but then again maybe the fact it was a sci fi themed ep didnt appeal to people and the fact some people were out voting early

Comment by Karen – November 6, 2012 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please Matt, the Bones being “flat” has to be a win considering most other shows are dropping, Your bias shows.

Comment by kentucky – November 6, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How does relating the fact that a show was “flat” (meaning: same numbers as previous airing) indicate bias…?

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 6, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, yes, it had the same numbers, but it’s been on a 4-week hiatus. It did well, imo, because it didn’t drop at all.

Comment by Sarah – November 6, 2012 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL. Take off the tinfoil hat, please. Matt isn’t out to get your favorite show with his matter-of-fact ratings dispatch.

Comment by Kendall – November 6, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did it go up? No. Did it go down? Also a no Therefore it remained flat. This lesson was brought to you today by the letter “M.”

Comment by madbengalsfan85 – November 6, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle hit its series low?? Damn. It was such a great episode.

Comment by Alichat – November 6, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • gossip girl registered on my dvr as a repeat and didn’t record.

Comment by nikki – November 6, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same thing happened to me only with H50

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 6, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People in charge of Castle need to realise that majority of their audience doesn’t care about sci-fi. Too bad last week’s demo won’t matter because they had the best ratings this season.

Comment by Ivy – November 6, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t care about interior decoration or accounting, either, yet they’ve had murderers in that milieu. It’s just another setting, not a total genre shift.

Comment by Winter – November 6, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not exactly accurate. While they might have had say an interior decorating milieu based murder, it was not filled with in jokes and terminology that the average watcher would not understand.

Comment by Jk – November 6, 2012 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But you didn’t need to get the in-jokes to enjoy the episode. And Beckett’s reasons for liking Nebula-9 really had nothing to do with sci-fi.

Comment by Katherine215 – November 6, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The word you’re looking for is “analogous” .

My opinion is that the show worked whether you got the in jokes or not. Your mileage may vary.

Comment by Winter – November 6, 2012 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nathan Fillion has a loyal fan-base because of his roles in sci-fi/fantasy shows like Firefly and Buffy. Although sci-fi buffs may not represent the total audience, there’s still a substantial number of us.

Thank you, producers of Castle, for giving us fun comic-con themed episode of Castle.

Comment by KCC – November 6, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HAHAHAHAHA. Gossip Girl’s ratings are HILARIOUS. What an awful show, glad to see the number of salivating idiots is declining in this country.

Comment by Lena – November 6, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like The Mob Doctor..why so much hate? I mean the ratings are awful but that doesn’t necessarily mean the show is too.

Comment by Jared – November 6, 2012 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shocked that Castle hit a series low. Such s great episode. Season 5 keeps getting better and better!

Comment by saragorman – November 6, 2012 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • are all of you blind? 10 million viewers and 1.9 and your bitching that its the series low? in case you havent noticed, 10 million viewers is alot, and 1.9 is quite high for a series low. get over it.

Comment by TJCrinc – November 6, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 1.9 is not high at all. Also, just because you don’t think that a 1.9 is a low number *does not* mean that it is not a series low. It is. A show can bring in 20 million viewers but so long as its demo is extremely low, many advertisers would write it off. Get over yourself and learn something.

Comment by Dyhmond – November 6, 2012 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep and Harry’s Law would average 9-10 million viewers each week and still got canceled. Demo matters whether you agree with that fact is obviously your choice but writing it off or denying it will not save a show no matter how much you enjoy it.

Comment by Gem – November 7, 2012 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised at castle’s ratings as well. The episode was funny and I thought the Sci FI genre was something people would look forward to. Did MNF affect it?

Comment by leigh – November 6, 2012 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gossip Girl has become unwatchable. The numbers aren’t surprising, it’s going out with a whimper.

Comment by tvfan – November 6, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this Castle ep. Feel badly for people who don’t have a sense of adventure, if they’re not syfy oriented or a sense of humor, which this ep was laced with thru and thru. And …it’s Castle, y’know? With all the main characters, banter, cute and intimate moments. So what if the theme is not your cup of tea, it’s still CASTLE. However, I do believe a good portion of the country may have had other pressing issues (remnants of a superstorm) going on in their heads and elections may have added to it. I also agree with Jared, Mob Doctor is not a bad show, needs to develop the main character a little more but has potential.

Comment by Joyce Lang (@JoyceLang1) – November 6, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also shocked about Castle, I think that Castle have a huge viewers and fans, but when come down to demo it getting low and this sci-fi episode was something new and every episode week to week castle really gets better. And the theme each episode get interesting. Sci-fi, documentary, and this season they gonna make christmas episode. Wow..

Comment by siska – November 6, 2012 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was less entousiastic with this week’s Castle but was higly satisfied with it. The episode was vey funny and the references nicely put. Those ratings are a disappointment really. Hope the rest of the season will tip up.

Comment by Lilys87 – November 6, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gossip Girl is a joke now. This season should be focusing on Blair/Serena being friends again. No one cares about Bart Bass or Ivy…Seriously wth are the writers doing with these last few episodes?

Comment by gary – November 6, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a little annoyed because the writers promised that this season would be about Blair and Serena and their relationship…and they hardly have any scenes together.

Comment by Summer – November 6, 2012 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Castle last night. I am not a Neilson family so I could care less about the ratings. We will get a season six I have no doubt, so I am happy. I do feel bad for the people who work on the show and to whom this stuff is life and death. Hopefully they get some validation from the fan support they receive.

Comment by Lisa – November 6, 2012 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle will be fine – no need to worry – the show will be back next fall. The ratings will rise/fall for the show week to week, but overall, Castle fans don’t worry – the show is doing well. ABC has plenty of other headaches to deal with including what to replace Private Practice in January (Body of Proof?), then what to do with Last Resort (Zero Hour?) and then 666 Park (Red Widow?). Once ABC gets all that sorted out, then they may need to examine Nashville a bit closer if those numbers don’t improve. But for now, Castle is fine – this time next year, maybe not, but for now, all is fine – enjoy the show.

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – November 6, 2012 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gossip Girl deserves a 0.0 to be quite honest. Horrible show. Horrible writing, horrible plotting, horrible ideas and all the actors have given up.

Comment by Tanya – November 6, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Something is seriously flawed with the Nielson rating system or the TV watching public; Castle was superior. Perhaps the “con” favoring types are more niche than I think, but all indications have been that “nerd” culture has been embraced by the more mainstream influences of U.S. zeitgeist. Too much consequence is attributed to this antiquated system. We lose high quality, well produced entertainment as a result.

Comment by champmav – November 6, 2012 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A lot of the Monday night shows were actually repeats of last week’s episodes, since at least on the east coast they were pre-empted for hurricane coverage. But DVRs mistakenly registered them as already-recorded instead of new because DVRs can’t “see” the episode to see that it’s news and not the television show the digital info says it is. So people on the east coast would have missed the episodes twice if they were recording. I think that would have an effect on the numbers?

Comment by DW – November 6, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Chuck Bass look any more gay than he does in that photo?
    No wonder GG suck this season.

Comment by LOL – November 6, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this information include DVRs? I know I didn’t watch the Castle ep cause I went to bed early knowing I had to get up early to be at the polls on time….long lines, rain and all. I plan on catching up tonight. Can’t wait to get home and watch it actually. What with Cmdr Riker directing and Nathan Stark guest starring with a comic con style setting. It’s a geek fan girl’s dream.

Comment by Jennfier – November 6, 2012 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gossip Girl has been downright awful this year. Usually there’s a redeeming feature or two, but this final season feels like they just phoned it in. The Bart Bass storyline is, for me, where GG finally jumped the shark, and I HATE Sage. Did they need to bring in a new bitchy teenager? We did this already when Blair was a bitchy teenager. Also, Rufus & Ivy? WTF. Do the Lily/Rufus reunion be done with it. Wrap this up and let’s move on.

Comment by kate – November 6, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s Castle episode was classic. It was really enjoyable if your were a Firefly fan.

Comment by Brian – November 6, 2012 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Gossip Girl! CW should have killed and buried it 2 years ago.

Comment by oliver – November 8, 2012 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post