Ratings: Parenthood Tops CBS and ABC Rivals, Happy Endings and The B---- Return Down

Whoa, Bravermans! NBC’s Parenthood, though down a tenth in the demo from its last fresh outing, this week bested both Private Practice and Vegas with the 18-49 crowd, drawing a 1.9 rating to their 1.4 and 1.5, respectively.

The only thing keeping Parenthood from claiming the 10 o’clock win outright amongst broadcast fare is a rare instance of Fox overlap into primetime’s final hour, with the back end of The X Factor‘s make-good special (which across its hour run did 5.7 mil and a 2.4).

Of course, CBS’ Vegas dominated the 10 pm hour in total viewers (with 10.7 mil). Parenthood, at 4.8 mil, was down just a hair.

RELATED | CBS Orders Full Seasons of the Freshman Dramas Vegas and Elementary

Of ABC’s two Tuesday premieres — both of which previously called Wednesday night home — Happy Endings (5.9 mil/1.9 rating) was down 20 and 39 percent from its Season 2 opener yet up from its April finale (3.7 mil/1.6), while Don’t Trust the B—- in Apartment 23 (4.3 mil/1.7) was down sharply from both its freshman premiere (7 mil/2.9) and finale (5.7 mil/2.5).

RELATED | Dancing With the Stars Week 5 Poll: Which Couple Is Most Likely to Win?

Going hour by hour….

8 pm | The Voice (10.9 mil/4.1, down 10 percent) drew Tuesday’s best demo, while NCIS (17.35 mil/3.2, down 6 percent) was the most watched program. Dancing With the Stars‘ non-results show (12.7 mil/2.2) rose 10 percent in the demo. Fox’s Raising Hope was steady with 4.1 mil/1.7) but Ben and Kate (3.05 mil/1.4) rose double digits. Hart of Dixie (1.3 mil/0.5) slipped 6 and 17 percent.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: They Don’t Really Want to Go, Oh

9 pm | NCIS: LA (16.3 mil/2.7) added a few eyeballs but was down 10 percent in the demo. In the first half-hour’s three-way sitcom showdown, Fox’s New Girl (flat at 5.2 mil/2.7) topped the demo, while NBC’s Go On (steady-ish with 6.4 mil/2.5) had the largest audience. (Happy Endings is detailed above.) Come 9:30, NBC’s The New Normal (4.5 mil/1.8, down 7 percent and two tenths) edged out Apartment 23. Next Tuesday: Mindy rejoins the mix! Emily Owens (1.1 mil/0.3), which debuted against one of the debates, plunged 34 and 40 percent versus full-on competition.

RELATED | The X Factor Recap: Who’s in the Top 16? And Who’s Your Early Pick to Win? Take Our Poll!

10 pm | Vegas (10.7 mil/1.5) dropped 25 percent in the demo, while Private Practice (4.6 mil/1.4) was down 24 and 12 percent.

What were you tuned into this Tuesday?

1. RJ says:

Parenthood for the win!!

• Maris says:

yes! This show is so good but I’m nervous because they didn’t tell Haddie… that probably means worse things for Kristina in the future and I’m scared

2. Reward says:

I miss Ringer ):

3. jimbo says:

I am so happy for the Bravermans! C’mon NBC, renew it already for a fifth season!

• Jill says:

Or at least extend this season beyond 15 episodes!!!!

• Robin says:

Seriously. Parenthood is totally bringing it this season. I actually think the show this season is really at its best. I think there should be some Emmy nominations for the show (specifically writing or directing), and some of the actor/actresses this year.

• DL says:

Seriously! Can’t believe the only Emmy nom has been for Jason Ritter. I mean he’s good and all, but if anyone was gonna get a Guest Actor nom I would’ve given it to John Corbett as Seth! That one scene he had with Lauren Graham toward the end of his run had me bawling.
          At least I feel like Ray Romano might clinch another Guest Actot nom, and I am dying to see some Supporting noms for Peter Krause, Monica Potter, and Lauren Graham in particular (although everyone on the show is phenomenal). And yes please to noms for directing and writing!

• Z. says:

John Corbett was amazing last season as Seth. That scene in rehab with Sarah, chills everytime! It was so powerfull! This show is amazing and needs more credit!

• Trent says:

AMEN on the lack of Emmy or Golden Globe love for Parenthood! This show is a far more nuanced and absorbing look at family dynamics than say, Modern Family, but you’d never know it from its almost complete lack of award nominations. (Granted, Friday Night Lights had the same problem until its final season.) This is Parenthood’s best season yet, and I’m so happy that the ratings have been stable — and now, it’s winning its time slot!

Also glad that Go On and The New Normal did well last night — both shows were really good…

• I feel like Parenthood has significantly improved, but it doesn’t deserve to be held in the same regard, let alone the same sentence as Jason Katims’ previous show. My biggest complaint about last night’s episode was how Max not only won the freaking thing, but he got a standing ovation for his speech. Sure, it’s sweet how he can open up about himself and be rewarded with acceptance for trying, but it’s as if we were somehow transported into the Teletubbies dimension where teenagers aren’t rotten and cruel, but sentimental and vocally supportive of each other. Anyone who could watch that storyline unfold and not say, “Whaaat?” at least two times is beyond my understanding. I’m kind of glad that they didn’t go the realistic route by having another Max-centric story about being rejected while having more fits about vending machines, but if they turn him into a Wesley Crusher wunderkind who routinely saves the day in a sizable amount of episodes, I’m gonna cry BS.

4. John says:

CBS must be kicking themselves for ordering a full season now. Those are horrible ratings for Vegas. I predicted this. Elementary will also fail.

• Gem says:

I disagree. Elementary will stay steady and probably improve over the year as it is on CBS. Vegas is a different type of show for CBS versus Elementary’s detective drama that CBS loves to produce and it’s fan’s seem to never tire of watching.

• John says:

In the end, the quality does matter. If it goes on with the drab cases where the audience can deduce everything before Sherlock and if the boring characterization of Holmes and Watson doesn’t improve, Elementary will drop in the ratings.

5. wrstlgirl says:

Vegas is the bomb!!

• Doug-H says:

Vegas is great and fits right in the pattern.. Funny that the next night, CSI had an episode that featured old Vegas and Greg Sanders love of that era… Maybe they’ll have a cross-over with CSI where the CSI’s investigate an old case that was first investigated by Ralph Lamb…

6. Rebecca says:

Happy Endings is hilarious. I thought it was funnier than Modern Family last season. I wish ABC would put in on Netflix, so more people could discover it.

7. Mila says:

I really think Happy Endings and Apt. 23 has lost it’s spark. I didn’t laugh once last night :/

8. tp says:

Sarah made me so mad on Parenthood. Stop for one second and put your damn kid first. Especially considering his dad is a bum, you’re dating his teacher and it’s his senior year. Jeez, take a breath.

Hart of Dixie is on it’s last legs for me. I am happy for the Zoe/Wade fans but unfortunately it pushes me away. Idk if Ruby is supposed to be unlikeable if so they succeeded. I was hoping to see a black woman on this show (the receptionist seems to have disappeared) if only as a recurring character and Zoe needs a female friend. Now I just want Ruby to go away. HOD was my fav new show last year now it’s at the end of my dvr viewing of the night.

• Elyse says:

haven’t watched HOD yet… its on my DVR. but as a Zade fan i can’t wait to watch! love Parenthood but i agree about Sarah. she doesn’t really act like a parent.

• Kim R says:

Haha..Sarah made me mad too. I like her character but she is too old to be acting so stupidly. If Drew wanted to stay where he was she should have let him. Grrrrrrrr. :)

9. Daniel says:

How much of Happy Endings being down has to do with airing against Go On and New Girl?

10. sarah says:

Happy that Parenthood was the best of the night but sad it slipped in ratings!
    Not surprised about HOD.

11. John says:

Wow I had no idea people would be this happy over a 1.9 rating for Parenthood. That is pretty sad. Not to mention with that huge cast NBC has to be losing a lot of money with that show.

• Lauren says:

What is your agenda here, John, or do we just chalk it up to clumsy trolling?

• Elyse says:

doing better than the other 2 shows in the same timeslot IS good.

• Lola says:

A. It’s NBC. B. It beat all other network scripted programming in its time slot. C. It’s a scripted drama at 10 p.m. D. It’s NBC.

• W says:

NBC which is winning Mondays, Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays. Its no longer the NBC we knew. What happened!

• Christian says:

Fridays belong to ABC’s cheap unscripted line-up. NBC hasn’t won a single Friday this season.

• Grimm is doing well, as it is the top-rated scripted program on Friday and 2nd place in ratings. I never would have foreseen NBC beating CBS on Fridays. I’ve never seen Shark Tank either, but I’m pretty sure I hate it. The real victims of Friday are Nikita and Fringe, which are floundering by being forced to compete with each other in the same time slot on top of Grimm. I’m certain ratings for all three shows would be significantly higher if Nikita was on at 8 and Grimm was on at 10.

• Joe says:

After football Sunday will be up for grabs

12. paula says:

B of apart 23 was really funny as wall happy endings, hoping dvr ratings improve

13. Ashlyn says:

PLEASE move Happy Endings and The B In Apartment 23 back to Wednesdays!! There are too many competing comedies on Tuesday night! I had to decide what to watch live, what to DVR, and what to watch later online. It’s just too much.

14. S says:

Happy Endings was bad enough last night that I took it off of my DVR list. It was funny last year but this episode was not a good way to open. It seems they must have had someone tell them to back off of the Penny gets the guy story line and they made that a line in the show to explain that she is happy but still would but WHATEVER. Having someone laid off, then get a job only to hide from his wife and then quit just because? In this economy is that supposed to be funny? Granted everyone gets they are rich, but really? Is this a play on the man forcing the wife to quit her job? I don’t know it just wasn’t funny.
    Apartment 23 really wasn’t funny either. It focused so much on James that it was hardly about the roommates that made it funny. Where was the neighbor girl and the guy in the window? Just not really all that great. They tweaked these shows too much.

15. gary says:

Vegas is BY FAR the biggest failure of the new season. 2 Legit Stars and it cant beat Parenthood? Time to cut loses CBS

16. Peggy says:

We never miss Parenthood. Best show ever.

• Robin says:

Yep! I watch a lot of tv, and most I dvr and watch later, sometimes later that week, sometimes even longer. Parenthood not so much, I dvr it, but usually watch it on that night and usually end up watching it live.

17. lulu says:

There are so many sitcoms on Wednesday nights that I feel like they cancel each other out in the ratings.

18. Nero theTVFiddler says:

Was anixiously awaiting these numbers to see how the 9pm battle shakes out. I DVR’ed Go On to watch later this week – I like that show. But I wanted to watch the new ABC shows to see how HEndings and Apt23 looked while I had a second TV on in parallel to watch New Girl and New Normal to see those shows live. I’ll be extra busy next Tuesday when Mindy Proj returns – more DVR and maybe even (gasp) VCR work.

I have to agree with Mila’s post above – I just didn’t find myself laughing much at either HEndings or Apt23. I think Endings has a chance to develop their storyline as the season goes on – they’ll be fine, but I’m worried about Apt23. How long can they run stories about Dawson’s Creek and JVDB? They need to focus more upon the Ritter-Walker relationship – that worked last spring and had some really funny moments – then drop in JVDB from time to time as the back-story. They have to up their game – the competition at 9-10pm is fierce.

Parenthood continues to defy all odds – amazing show. NBC needs to order the back-9 and then seriously develop a plan for season 5 in fall’13. The show has staying power and legs [ not to mention Erica C and Monica P ;) ]

19. Ella says:

Hart of Dixie is great thus season without the Lemon/George engagement mess. Lemon is actually becoming likeable this season. Love Zoe and Wade!

20. tvaddict says:

Happy Endings was way funnier than New Girl last night. I hope the ABC comedies improve in the ratings

21. Rain says:

Apt. 23 was fantastic last night. Zack Morris and Dawson Leery together, what more does a person need! I was really iff about even giving it a try last year based on trailers but I gave in and haven’t been disappointed. It consistently makes me giggle.

As for Happy Endings, I seem to be the opposite of most, I loved the first season but haven’t been able to tolerate it since. It just got too over the top and absurd for me, and the character of Penny is enough to make me not watch. I just don’t know how people find her funny.

22. How says:

With all the comidies on at 9 Abc screwed up by having their shows premire so late , instead of a month of the over inflated dancing with the stars result show they should have premiered the pair a little earlier in the month that way the would have gotten a better shot

23. Teag says:

Happy Endings and Don’t Trust the B were great. Better than New Girl (which I love). Really hope ratings pick up for both.

24. Géraldine says:

Even though I like Emily Owens M.D, I’m pretty sure that its weak ratings after 2 episodes (maybe the wrong hour), the series should be cancelled very soon! :-(

25. Robin says:

Parenthood is at its best this season. Seriously seems to get better each week really. But next week it isn’t on…and the week after is election night… :( I want more!!! I totally agree that NBC needs to order more episodes. I watch a lot of tv, and Parenthood is one of the best on shows on tv! Definitely the best show on NBC.

• Mary says:

I agree. NBC is putting “Smash” In Parenthood’s place. That show is good,however why take off a show in which more people can relate. Smash is another Reality Show in my opinion. Place Smash in place of some of NBC ‘s mindless Comedy shows .Another boneheaded move by NBC. No wonder ABC and CBS have higher ratings.

26. Peggy says:

Tuesday nights is tough, I am sure my DVR was screaming for mercy. I really like Hart of Dixie and Emily Owens so I watch them first. I didn’t think Apt 23 was all that funny either but I liked it last year so I will give it a chance. I think the one that made me laugh the most was Go On, that seems to get better each week.

27. Wanda says:

How can you say Emily’ Owen’s MD did better than the Ringer finale? One the ratings were higher 1.49 for Ringer second why not compare the second episodes. I wonder I you are on the CW’s payroll

28. Jon says:

I liked Happy Endings yesterday. I actually enjoyed Penny and Max’s whole “Misery” storyline. I don’t really know how I feel about Dave & Alex as a couple again, I loved Alex last season but I don’t really like Dave, but I’m gonna wait a couple episodes before I make up my mind. Jane and Brad were awesome as usual though( best tv couple!)

• Rebecca says:

This. Alex definitely grew on me last season so I’m hoping she doesn’t change back. Penny/Max, hilarious as usual. Loved Jane’s naked body getting blurred out!

29. Daniel says:

On Parenthood, Max coming out and telling everyone he has Aspergers and how that makes him a great leader because he’s tenacious and has a great memory made me smile. I was so proud of him, that took courage. Made me fall in love with the show all over again.

30. Abby says:

I actually like Emily Owens. It remind me a little of the early years of Grey’s. The CW has done virtually nothing to promote it. I really hope it finds an audience.

31. Monica says:

Ouch for PP. Their ratings and demo are dropping! Anyone else think ABC gave them a 100th episode to apease Rhimes for scripting three drama’s for them? Seems like last year should have been the final season for them.

32. Mary says:

Will Parenthood be back next Fall? I heard the last show of the season is in January. However it did not say cancelled. It’s the best show on TV

33. mcqueen skull scarf says:

Le concepteur Katherine Hamnett a déclaré: “Il était un génie Quelle terrible, tragique gaspillage.?.