KaDee Strickland Opens Up About the End of Private Practice, Mulls Pregnant Charlotte's Coda

In a way, it is incumbent upon Private Practice‘s Charlotte to keep the circle of life going by giving birth to her triplets just as the ABC drama concludes its run with, as has been announced, the 13th episode of this season. But now that there’s a “hard stop” in place, will she deliver in time or be left to gestate in perpetuity?

TVLine spoke with KaDee Strickland about Charlotte’s amusingly ironic and increasingly expectant state, the other brand of high drama kicking off with this Tuesday’s episode (airing at 10/9c) and her feelings on Seaside Wellness and St. Ambrose closing their doors for good.

RELATED | Shonda Rhimes Announces Private Practice End Date, Calls Decision ‘Heartbreaking’

TVLINE | I was rounding up past quotes from you about Charlotte getting pregnant someday. There is: “I, KaDee, do believes she’s ready to have her own child. I want more of it!” And: “I think it would be so much fun. Can you imagine Charlotte pregnant?!” And now… here you are.
Three’s the charm! [Laughs] Of course, Shonda Rhimes will find a way to take what one might consider a conventional opportunity for a couple and turn it into the most unique, incredibly interesting circumstance. It’s pretty good stuff.

TVLINE | How hard was it not to spill the beans to the press at the 100th episode party?
Absolutely terrible. You know me, I get very excited about my storylines. It’s like, “What else is here for me to talk about? Nothing, because [the pregnancy] is all-consuming for Charlotte this season.” So yeah, that was a tough day – but in a good way.

TVLINE | Charlotte had that great line, “When I said I didn’t want to have any children, what I really meant was, ‘I want all of the children.'”
Yes! And we on the show use that line in our personal lives now. That line, “I didn’t want ___, I want all of ___”? You can fill in the blanks with a number of things and have it be a really fun game.

RELATED | Private Practice Exclusive: The Wire‘s Deirdre Lovejoy Sues Addison for [Spoiler]!

TVLINE | Speaking of Episode 100: Do you by chance know exactly why Standards & Practices pushed back on Shonda? Was it the drugs, the pedophile…?
I don’t know the full ins-and-outs, but certainly when one portrays marijuana, you have to go through some hoops to make sure you’re getting all sides of the argument. So she did not advocate [drug use], nor did she diminish the circumstances with which it pushed the story forward, that while Big Chill vibe. The pedophile story, meanwhile, is one that the country is definitely ready to see more of in lieu of the events of the past year with [disgraced Penn State football coach Jerry] Sandusky and other things, and I think it’s important to take a look at that culturally. And that storyline definitely impacts Sheldon a great deal. I’ll tell you right now, because I think Brian Benben is one of the most solid actors I’ve ever worked with: When you get to his episode [told from Sheldon's POV], it’s going to be phenomenal. You’ll finally get to see what our lovely Brian Benben is capable of, his entire bag of tricks.

TVLINE | What stages of pregnancy acceptance will Charlotte be moving through in the coming weeks?
I can say this: You haven’t lived until you’ve had to wear a triplet pregnancy belly. You would be amazed at what a girl can learn based on the different months of pregnancy to make her character more interesting. Shonda and the writers have done an absolutely wonderful job of keeping me on my toes with the triplet storyline.

TVLINE | Is there going to be a moment where the emotionality of it all wallops Charlotte, where the walls come tumbling down and she just kvells?
Have you ever seen a Shonda Rhimes show? [Laughs] I can’t truthfully answer that in fullness, but if I know Shonda and her writing, I’m going to be just as surprised as the audience to see what Charlotte does as we continue with her pregnancy. Trust me, I can’t wait to get my hands on that script.

TVLINE | OK, because as far as I can see, she’s still her snarktastic self at an Episode 8 birthing class.
Mmm-hmm. “Snarktastic” is exactly right!

PHOTOS | Private Practice Sneak Peek: Matt Long Scrubs In!

TVLINE | This week’s episode looks pretty heavy-duty, when a little girl goes missing at St. Ambrose.
Oh my God, this episode…. It’s something we haven’t experienced [on Private Practice] for a long time, that ER madness – and all because it’s raining in Los Angeles. But if you’ve ever been to L.A., you know that all it takes is one day of rain to see why a hospital would run wild, because people don’t know how to drive or how to behave. They’ve taken that reality and turned it into an exceptional episode. And the actors that we got playing this family, I loved working with Charlie [Hofheimer, Mad Men] and Chryssie [Whitehead] — anybody watching this show can put themselves in the shoes of these parents. And that’s not the only thing that happens. We’ve hired a new doctor, played by Matt Long (Jack & Bobby), and they have a wonderful connection as fellow Southerners. It’s a great, interesting circumstance to have me on his good side.

TVLINE | What three words describe your feelings about Private Practice ending?
Bittersweet…. Emotional…. Forward-thinking. I saw this wonderful interview with Joshua Jackson, where he knew exactly how many episodes Fringe had left this season. I remember thinking, “I wish I knew,” because there’s something so comforting about that. We can give our appropriate goodbyes and know every day what we have left.

TVLINE | Do you know if Charlotte will give birth by the end of Episode 13?
I am pretty sure that everyone’s story is going to be tied up beautifully by the end of this. And I definitely think if you left me pregnant, you would have the audience’s heads exploding! That said, I wouldn’t expect anything to be uncomplicated just because the show is wrapping up. We haven’t gotten to the “Charlotte [POV] Episode,” so I don’t know what the plans are for li’l ol’ me, but Paul [Adelstein] and I just did a phenomenal script. The “Cooper” [POV] script is gorgeous; I loved doing that show. And I did hear that we’re going to have a wrap party. I can’t imagine what a wrap party for six years of work is going to look like, but I bet it’s gonna be a helluva good time!

1. Donna Kingston says:

I am so sorry to hear that this show is going off the air. I hope some go to Seattle Grace Mercy West cause they can use some new characters to replace 3 that have gone on. Would love to see Charlotte & Cooper & jake & Sam on Greys.

• Chelsey says:

I totally agree and I think that if Charlotte and Cooper don’t go to Grey’s Anatomy that they should get their own show!

2. Bean says:

I really wish that they would have a spinoff for Charlotte and Cooper. I love their characters. They could bring Sheldon over to the new show. I enjoy his character too.

3. Charlotte, Cooper, Amelia and Sheldon are characters whom I could have seen carry on the show. I love Jake, but if Addison were to go, it would just be best if Benjamin Bratt left to allow her to go away happy, with her baby and her man. Sam I honestly couldn’t care about, while Violet is often 50/50. But Charlotte and Cooper truly have been the heart of show for a while now, whilst Amelia has really proven herself as a character. I can’t speak for Sheldon, seeing as the writers haven’t given him much to work with, but he’s always been a supportive friend and fantastic psychiatrist. I wish ABC did give the show a back-order of 9 episodes to see if the show could work, if not, contract Kate Walsh to return for the finale so that we at least get to see her one last time with Jake and baby Henry.

• Sarah says:

Have you seen the shows ratings? The show doesn’t deserve a chance. You are lucky it got picked up for 13 episodes!!! It should have been canceled at the end of Season 5!

• Kathie says:

I’ve seen the ratings. Have you compared the demo numbers (the only one that counts) to that of other 10pm shows? Private Practice is in the same range as The Good Wife, Scandal, 666, Parenthood, etc. I guess you believe all of those shows should also be canceled?

• Way to sound horribly bitter. If PP had been on a Thursday after Grey’s, it’s ratings would have been acceptable enough for a full season pick-up. It’s on a Tuesday and the ONLY show that really only does well on a Tuesday is NCIS; everything else is doomed to fail.

4. Bianca says:

Charlotte is the best thing on Private Practice. She deserves a show of her own. It would be really interesting to watch her dealing with raising 4 kids. I love that family. Please Shonda give the Coopers another chance.

5. Danielle H. says:

I’ll really miss this show and Charlotte. I hope kadee is on our TVs again soon after the demise!

6. Julia says:

ahh chryssie whitehead!! she is a gem so happy she’s gonna be on the show!

7. sarah says:

they should do a half hour comedy spin-off with Charlotte and Cooper and them dealing with raising 4 kids!!!

8. Bernadine says:

I think shes a fan of Fringe. YAY

9. N says:

Loving Char!

10. Dani says:

Was never a fan of this show. But I caught a few episodes over the years and have to say that KaDee made me linger when she came on screen. She’s a great actor and I won’t be surprised if ABC finds something for her.

11. Julie says:

I’m taking that she’s a fan of FRINGE as well. That makes her even cooler than she already is! XD

12. simy says:

can’t wait for the charlotte episode, she is my faviurite character on the show

13. How says:

Remember when pp started it was on Wednesday it didn’t do we’ll they moved it to Thursday after greys and it worked then they moved it to Tuesday because of scandal And now it’s not doing well its a time slot hit folks , and before u call me a hater I do watch pp

14. Jenna says:

I have been writing Shonda for months now saying that Char and Coop should have their own show! They are solid.

15. Jessica says:

I hope they find sarah that missing little girl! They better not leave us hanging!!!!!!

16. Jessica says:

I haven’t been watching this season I never knew when it was on bout tip get caught up! My favorite show this one and greys anatomy!!!!!!

17. jona says:

I want Amelia on Grey’s, pleeeeaaaseeeee :)

18. Ana says:

No no no no no no no no no, private practice cannot over, why charlotte and cooper won’t be in a new programme with mason and the triplets? please they are the cutest couple, the true love couple I have ever seen on television, and I’m todely in love with them. If they won’t show up more together with their storyline on television I think I’m going to be depressed, cause I pass my day talking about them and my friends sometimes got mad and bored because I’m always always think about charlotte and cooper, even in my classes, especially in history ahahah XD . So PLEASE, PLEASE can you do a show with charlotte and cooper? SHONDA, COME ON YOU CAN DO THIS, YOU’RE THE BEST, DON’T YOU KNOW YET? Come on guys, charlotte and cooper are the best and will always be, I wanna see new episodes every weeks and not just think about what they was, I wanna think on the future, cause I love them so damn much … please I’m beging here, I am with my knees on the floor, please please do a show with my favourite couple in the WORLD? I’m gonna be depressed if it doens’t happen, me and anothers 46746749674697469476346346310697410.5486643120.5486764132.05487946130147861047967410467896845120478 people!
    Think about what I said, please please!
    Thanks :)

19. susan says:

Will totally miss this show! All my fav shows seem to end way too soon!! I will especially miss Addison, Charlotte and Cooper (we don’t get to see how she handles three new babies?), & Amelia( who I just started to really love recently, and now with her new love life!). They took some great characters away on Grey’s Anatomy and now Private Practice off the air! What’s next? Please find a new great show with some of these same characters!

20. Yuma says:

Deference to post author, some great selective information .