Once Upon a Time Recap: Like Riding a Bike

Get More: Recaps

This week on ABC’s Once Upon a Time, Emma labored to find her bearings in the fairytale land that is, as her mom easily settled back into her old, ass-kicking ways. Henry, meanwhile, went about digging up one of Regina’s secrets (when he wasn’t mending a broken family).

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time Sneak Peek: Can Rumple Save His Sweetheart From Captain Hook?

IN THE FAIRYTALE LAND THAT WAS…. Prince Charming’s plan to take back the kingdom is detoured by the rival army’s recruitment of a fighter dubbed “The Leviathan” — but more commonly known as Lancelot — who whisks Snow away for a meeting with King George. The king, it turns out, saw his own wife cursed to never have children, so he poisons Snow to suffer the same fate. Deposited back at her now-torched camp, Snow gets the upper hand on Lancelot, who warns that the king will target Charming’s mother Ruth next. Protecting the cabin where his mother is in hiding, the prince does his best to fell a gang of soldiers, but Ruth takes an arrow to the chest. Maybe the magical waters of Lake Nostos can save her?

Alas, the lake had gone dry, because of Charming vanquishing the siren (in Season 1, Episode 13), but Lancelot finds enough water to save one person. Ruth sacrifices herself to save that sip for Snow, who consumes it during an impromptu marriage ceremony conducted by the (fallen) knight of the Round Table. Later, Ruth’s pendant “predicts” Snow would one day have a daughter.

IN THE FAIRYTALE LAND THAT IS…. Snow introduces Emma to Cora, warning that she’s far worse than her daughter Regina. Mulan pulls Snow and Emma away to meet with their leader… Lancelot! After a meal of chimera (aka lion/serpent/goat or, “Like turducken?”), Lancelot agrees to let his old friend Snow return to what’s left of her castle to check out the wardrobe as a possible way back home, with Mulan providing muscle. Later, a still-bitter Aurora pops up to pull a dagger on Snow, only to get promptly flipped. Still, Emma reads the sitch wrong and fires off a  shot with her pistol, drawing the attention of an ogre. Emma is saved by Snow’s skill with a bow, which is still nifty after 28 years. “I guess it’s like riding a bike!”

Arriving at Snow’s castle, Emma realizes just how much her mother gave up on her behalf, and breaks down in tears: “I’m not used to somebody putting me first!” Lancelot shows up, offering to help lug the wardrobe back to the safe haven… ‘cept he slips and reveals himself to actually be Cora, doing a bit of shape-shifting. (Turns out she killed the real Lancelot some time ago.) When Cora reveals her plan to use the portal to get to Storybrooke, where Henry is, Emma starts a fire, and Cora flees. Mulan appoints Snow as their new leader, but before they leave, Snow gives one last look back at the nursery as it once was, and cries. After the women clear out, Cora returns to put some of the enchanted ashes into a flask….

PHOTOS | Once Upon a Time‘s Belle Explores the Non-Provincial Life… Then Gets [Spoilered]!

IN STORYBROOKE, MAINE…. Henry wants to dive into Operation Scorpion, but Charming says that without the Hatter’s help, it’ll take some time, so… get to school! (Words you never hear in Mystic Falls.) Henry instead meets up with Jefferson, who lets slip that Regina’s vault is somewhere here in town. After urging Jefferson to reunite with his daughter, Henry pinches his mom’s keys and finds the vault under her father’s crypt. Charming arrives in time to save Henry from the box of poisonous snakes (that killed Snow’s dad back in the day). By the end of the hour, Jefferson is hugging his overjoyed daughter Grace and Charming is teaching Henry how to sword fight… as Charming’s father looks on from his car.

A few memorable lines/moments:

* “Ogres? As in ‘Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum?’” “Those would be giants.”

* “I killed a dragon just last week!”

* “What kind of corset is this?”

* Wedding officiant Lancelot’s allusion to the Holy Grail.

What did you think of this week’s episode? Do you agree with me that snappier, quipper dialogue like what’s cited above helps keep the show fresh and appropriately meta?

Comments (134)

• I didn’t love this episode quite as much as episode 1 and 2 but the stuff with Snow/Emma wad definitely good. I think the episode dragged a little for me because it didn’t have enough Regina who is by and large my favorite part of the show. Cora is interesting too though. Fun seeing more of her.
    Aurora is annoying as could be for a princess. Just listen to Mulan kthx.
    Interesting twist at the end of the episode with Widmore.

Comment by Mark – October 14, 2012 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally turned to my husband at the end of the episode and said “Oh, sh!&! Widmore is there and he is pissed”. ::sigh:: Oh LOST, how I miss you. I hate how they are treating Aurora, she is my favorite princess and I want to strangle her with my bare hands on this show. I thought the pacing was actually pretty good. I’m glad that they are balancing the story between Storybrooke and Fairy Tale Land more. I thought last week was a lot slower than this episode. I am love, love, LOVING having kick ass Snow back. Mild mannered Mary Margaret got on my last nerve (as Frozone in the Incredibles says, “I don’t want to know about your mild mannered alter egos”). I loved the scene with Jeffereson’s reunion with Grace. I think the real message of this episode was the cost of a parents love. Not just because of the curse, just generally in life when you become a parent it’s an act of surrender. For the rest of your life, you, your happiness and your needs are not the most important thing to you. At least it shouldn’t be if you are a good parent. The subtext to me is that Regina is a good parent. Even if she isn’t a good person. She is sacrificing her happiness for Henry’s over and over again. I think this will ultimately lead to her gradually choosing to help people in an effort to earn Henry’s love again. I think that this is the beginning of a gradual slide of Regina coming over to the Charming Family’s side to ultimately face off against her mother. I’m sure it will be impeccably done. I’m loving this character development.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – October 14, 2012 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I love your point about this episode being about the cost of a parent’s love. It’s utterly and completely true and I loved that aspect so much.

>>> I think that this is the beginning of a gradual slide of Regina coming over to the Charming Family’s side to ultimately face off against her mother. I’m sure it will be impeccably done. I’m loving this character development.

Ooooh I do hope you’re right about that because that would be amazing to see.

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 14, 2012 10:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is one of my fave episodes EVER

Comment by veronic – October 14, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • where do you leave Snow’s: ”Back away from my daughter!” EPIC

Comment by Snuggies – October 14, 2012 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHAT KIND OF CORSET IS THIS? wins line (and line reading) of the night.

Comment by joe – October 14, 2012 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My favorite line was, after saying “with our tails between our legs’” Charming turns to Red and says “No Offense”. Hilarious!

Comment by Templar – October 15, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poignant, funny and full of surprises … this episode was perfection! Ginnifer Goodwin’s performance was magnificent and Jennifer Morrison’s was so touching. At the end, when Snow takes one last look at the nursery, it took my breath away. Imagining what she missed … Emma’s first steps, first words … all those moments she will never recapture. THE BEST EPISODE TO DATE!

Comment by Ella – October 14, 2012 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you, best episode of season 2 til now :)

Comment by Mélanie – October 14, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That scene was heartbreaking, and really showed what the cost of the curse was to snow, I’m not gonna lie, I almost teared up.

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I got all choked up it was what I’ve been waiting for to see mom and daughter together.

Comment by BrianR – October 15, 2012 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “* Wounded Ruth calling out, “Son?” in one of many kinda conspicuous attempts to not disclose Charming’s real name just yet.”

We learned in season 1 his name is James, didn’t we ?

Comment by Mélanie – October 14, 2012 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nope his twin who was killed was James, and charming took his name during the hoax, with have yet to find out his real name.

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Smart money: Jack

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ::laughing hysterically:: Yeah, probably. Although Jack was always one of my least favorite characters on LOST I would love it if they named him Jack.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – October 14, 2012 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Of “and the Beanstalk” fame. It kind of works on a couple levels. First Jack and James make sense as twin names. Second, he was living with his mother on an obviously poor farm.

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 11:01 PM PDT
          • You’re right that it works with the Jack and the Beanstalk myth but that story is coming up relatively soon and I kind of get the impression that Eddie and Adam are sitting on this for as long as they can. That would be the only reason I would think that Jack (of the beanstalk) would be someone else. Although Jorge Garcia is going to be the giant so it would work on both levels. Eddie and Adam do like their LOST easter eggs.

Comment by Lauren Kirsch – October 14, 2012 11:05 PM PDT
          • Amusingly — if Herbie the Love Bug is fair game, so is Tom Sawyer. So you could have an episode with Jack and Sawyer.

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 11:17 PM PDT
    • I was hoping we would find out during the wedding, but no such luck. I’m thinking ‘David’ as it is in Storybrooke. It’s a fine name for a shepherd prince, no?

Comment by Alice – October 14, 2012 11:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …Especially for a shepherd prince descending from a woman named Ruth!

Comment by Ace – October 15, 2012 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes we know his name is James, have no idea where Mitovich mind was when he wrote that

Comment by Rebecca Veight – October 15, 2012 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They will finally reveal his first name as… Cosmo!

Comment by The Squatch – October 15, 2012 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I almost spit Coke all over my keyboard when I read that. Thanks.

Comment by Alice – October 15, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You shouldn’t drink that stuff. It’s bad for your teeth, your GI tract and your keyboard.

Comment by Templar – October 16, 2012 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That is an awesome answer.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – October 16, 2012 09:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else catch Emma’s shoutout to HIMYM? She was in the “Turducken” Thanksgiving episode. Thought it was funny.

Comment by Darth Pablo – October 14, 2012 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, good catch but t may have just been a coincidence. Now I have to watch it again.

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought that sounded familiar! I don’t watch HIMYM but I did watch the ones with Jen in them so I remember that part. Nice touch writers! =D

Comment by Heather – October 14, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah and soon Jorge Garcia will be in an episode of Once and he was in that episode of HIMYM!

Comment by Mary – October 14, 2012 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was reminded of that too, but they actually had a turturkeykey.

Comment by Nichole – October 15, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • haha love the recap’s refrence to mystic falls

Comment by Kayla – October 14, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Have to agree with previous posters who said this episode was great! It has some of the best moments, and the hour just flew by. The Emma/Snow scene had me in tears and has proven to me once again that Jennifer Morrison is a better actress than previous roles have ever given her the chance to be.
    Also love how we now know how it is that Snow knew it was going to be a girl and Charming didn’t. I can’t remember which episode it was, but early in Season 1 when they go to see Rumple, he alludes to the fact that it is a girl, and when Charming corrects him, Rumple says that Snow knows the truth. She then says her name is Emma, proving Rumple right about the gender.

Comment by Anna – October 14, 2012 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was in the pilot episode.

I felt more like it was a real reunion between Snow and Emma.

Comment by Mary – October 14, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thoroughly enjoyed the Vampire Diaries joke you threw in there.

Comment by Jaime – October 14, 2012 07:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the episode tonight. Emma & Snow’s relationship and how it grew and changed throughout the hour was so touching and their last scenes together made me cry. “I’m not used to someone putting me first” from Emma definitely got to me. =( Loved Charming and Henry’s interaction and I’m glad Jefferson reunited with his daughter. I also like Mulan much better now than I did originally and enjoyed how Lancelot fit into Snow and Charming’s back story. I really hope he’s actually alive in Storybrooke somehow because I enjoyed that actor and his character. Badass Snow is so awesome too! Great show all the way around and this season just keeps getting better and better. Looking forward to meeting Hook next week! =)

Comment by Heather – October 14, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i loved Emma and Snow’s scenes (one of my fav episode so far)! the episode was just lovely and made me cry, i also loved the way mulan protected aurora… and that final scene with emma and snow was beautiful.

Comment by luli – October 14, 2012 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe I’m misunderstanding here, but I don’t think the cabin Ruth was hiding out in was Charming’s childhood home.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – October 14, 2012 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right it wasn’t. Because that would be the first place King George would look. Charming hid Ruth away because King George threatened to kill her if Charming didn’t marry Abigail.

Comment by Mary – October 14, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Indeed; repaired!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 14, 2012 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That had to be the cabin in which Mary Margaret and David took refuge during the storm in 7:15 a.m. I knew it had to have significance, but at the time no one knew why. I love that the show is so intricate, but trying to remember every little thing is going to get to be a chore. lol

Comment by Cassie – October 16, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved this episode and but I was disappointed (with a character that is)

The parts I loved was the Snow and Emma interactions, really getting into some Mother/Daughter bonding especially now that Snow is back to her Kick-ass self again. I love how they are pacing this relationship, not too fast, but certainly not too slow either.

The best part of the episode is Cora for me! I knew something was up, though I didn’t expect Lancelot to be dead and Cora posing as him! I just expected some kind of mind control! The fact that Cora is actually free and still full of magic has me on the edge of my seat wondering…. when will we see that magical showdown between Regina and Mommy Dearest?! It will be EPIC!

As for the character that disappointed me… Henry… Listen, I know the kid is trying to help, but Regina has already proven that she’s willing to do what’s best for him… she actually let him go, apologized to it, opened herself up… and for him to call her and get her hopes up for a lunch date?! That was wrong… and honestly Charming/David should have reprimanded him for it… not too harshly but you know a talking too… Regina is trying and if they were smart, they’d do what they could to have her and the power she holds on their side… because as big and bad as she is… there is always a bigger predator… (namely Cora)

Can’t wait for next week!

Comment by Cory – October 14, 2012 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about henry I didn’t like how he treated regain in this episode.

Comment by A – October 14, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m convinced that entire thing was just a clumsy way to re-introduce the snakes. (Presumably the some ones that killed the king in Sidney’s story.)

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 11:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t really have a problem with it. Regina has done a lot to damage Henry’s trust in her with the way she has treated him over the years – telling him that fairy tales and the curse wasn’t real, trying to poison Emma, he knows that she framed Snow/Mary Margaret, he asked her to leave him and everyone alone and concentrate on getting Emma and Snow back and she ignored it and attacked people who had gathered (only one person really armed – Granny) just to get him to go home with her, etc.

Comment by Mary – October 14, 2012 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did i feel sorry for Regina? maybe a bit. Otherwise, she got a taste of her own medicine/poison and probably she will remember how she used the same tricks and hurt others without to look left and right.
      After All if I were henry i wouldn`t trust her either. He wants Emma & Snow back so badly and can`t really see that Regina tries to help or make any efforts. Regina has yet to prove that she plays on the side of the Angels. I guess we will see it soon when Cora is arriving in Storybrooke.

Comment by Lilo – October 15, 2012 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, his mom can try, but Regina killed people just last season… don’t forget that she is a horrible person that made choices of her own free will… no one forced her to crush the sheriff’s heart; she was just a scorned woman. Henry is right to stay away.

Comment by RUCookie – October 15, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish someone more powerful than Cora would force her to wear outfits that aren’t cut so low.

Comment by TigerNightmare – October 14, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was funny! :)

Comment by SK – October 15, 2012 05:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would also just like to give a shout-out to Jennifer Morrison’s perfectly toned arms! :-)

Comment by Anna – October 14, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel like they had her take off the jacket just to highlight those guns haha!

Comment by JustPassingThrough – October 15, 2012 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was disappointed with the fake lunch date as well but other than that it was one of the best episodes so far! I love all the twists and turns from the writers! They have completely restored my faith in television writing!

Comment by Rissa – October 14, 2012 09:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have a feeling that there is another mother/daughter reunion coming with Regina and Cora, probably around November sweeps. It will be an ugly battle and that is a beautiful thing!!

Comment by Ronnie – October 14, 2012 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It was also awesome to see Charming kick butt! Wussy David Nolan was driving me crazy! It’s nice to be reminded of how freakishly awesome he is! He is slowly taking that role back in Storybrooke and I cant wait for him to fully take that back on!

Comment by Rissa – October 14, 2012 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this is by far my favorite episode of this series so far! I just adored the Snow/Emma bonding and the Charming/Henry bonding. That was so lovely to see on both sides! And that scene at the end with Emma breaking down with Snow and then Snow breaking down over the loss of her daughter…those were amazing scenes and I totally teared up, esp with Snow. As a mother to know the pain of her daughter’s life and to know all of those moments she longed to share with her child were gone forever. Just heartbreaking for mother and daughter!

Was very happy to see so little of Regina. Disappointed we ended up with her mother in replacement. I would be so happy to see the last of those two women! And if they take George with them, I would totally cheer! He’s as hateful and evil as those two.

Comment by Moe – October 14, 2012 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hard to have a fairy tale show without a villain or two.

Comment by aunt_deen – October 15, 2012 02:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I understand you don’t like the villains but this show is nothing without Regina.

Comment by Mike – October 15, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There would be no show without Rumple, Cora, Regina, etc. For me personally the “villains” even make the show.

Comment by JB – October 15, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Get to school (Words you never hear in Mystic Falls)” Ha!
    But in all seriousness, this was a good episode. I was in tears at the ending scenes with Snow and Emma

Comment by guestcommenter – October 14, 2012 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome episode as always. I was disappointed that Lancelot was dead. I was looking forward to a recurring black character. Hopefully we’ll see him in flashbacks. Loved all the Enchanted Forrest scenes. Snow is an awesome mom. More Jefferson pleaseandthankyou!

Comment by tp – October 14, 2012 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well you can’t really get away with making a literary icon like Lancelot black can ya? The whole Camelot story doesn’t really fit in, not exactly a fairy tale, unless you want to call everything with magic in it a fairytale but I doubt there will be hobbits lurking around any time soon. That wouldn’t fit either.

Comment by eNdEmiOn – October 15, 2012 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I fear your view of the show may be too narrow. OUAT isn’t just fairy tales. It’s any story commonly told to young people. They’ve already had Jack Sprat and his wife. Snow White isn’t a fairy tale in that it involves a witch rather than a fairy. By those standards Lancelot fits because King Arthur is a story about magic and wizardry [Merlin]. Sidney Glass was a genie in a bottle, also not a fairy. If it’s a bedtime story, it’s fair game. I’d accept Robin Hood, Prince Caspian [Narnia], or the Goblin King [Labyrinth] with equanimity.

Comment by Templar – October 16, 2012 07:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I guess the real line lies between what is still copyright protected and what isn’t or never was. Non the less all the Grimm stuff can easily be separated by borders. Camelot whole other universe but it’s not even portrayed like that in the show like they did with wonderland.

Comment by eNdEmiOn – October 16, 2012 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Because they haven’t been to Camelot.

Comment by Tara – October 16, 2012 11:22 AM PDT
        • Templar is right. In the first season the intro to the episodes, the voice over refers to them as storybook characters. That would cover a lot of ground.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – October 16, 2012 09:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with you about Lancelot. I hope maybe he is secretly alive somewhere. He is awesome. I want more Lance.

Comment by Boothgirl – October 16, 2012 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this show. Everything about it is exciting. I sit and wait for the new episodes to air every Sunday and watch them again on line the next day.

Comment by Chase – October 14, 2012 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else think Lancelot is actually alive somewhere? If he drank of the grail, it would have given him eternal life. (How exactly are they going to handle THAT? That would presumably incorporate Jesus in fairytale land and, yeah, that could get ugly quickly.)

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he’s alive in Storybrooke. I think he was never protected from the curse and Cora just impersonated him because she knew people would respect him.

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 14, 2012 11:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just wish Emma would pull her hair up! The long flowing locks aren’t going to cut in in the enchanted forest. Plenty of princesses around to help with an “up do”!

Comment by judy – October 14, 2012 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am dying to see Emma done up in Fairy Tale clothes and hairstyles. I hope that at some point before they return to Storybrooke we’ll get to see this. (and Snow coaching her through it! LOVING the mother/daughter bonding we’ve been getting.)

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 14, 2012 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah the episode was great but I have to say that the best part is the preview of the next episode with Capt Hook. Can’t wait for that!!!

Comment by Maro – October 14, 2012 10:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or is ONCE having a fantastic Season 2 thus far, seriously unlike some people I feel the last 3 episodes were the best this show has to offer. I loved every scene with Snow and Emma, it was heartbreaking seeing Snow think about what their life could have been if it wasn’t for the curse, and it was a nice change of pace to see Emma look completely lost and not to be the savior for once, and it seems she will be listening to her mom from now on. Storybrooke was a little dull this week, though I did enjoy jefferson’s reunion with his daughter, and am I the only one that wonders does Henry ever go to school and who is his teacher now that MM is gone(minor question, not that it matter, but I care for some reason), and I wish he wouldn’t have bailed on regina she seemed so thrill to get that phone call. Interesting backstory on the Charming gang, I hope we get to see more of Lancelot, even if it’s just flashbacks. It was good to see Charmings mom one last time, I had wondered what happened to her near the end of last season. I was still undecided last week, but I guess it can’t be argued that Cora is one scary villain, I’m still not aboard the train that Regina should change sides, she plays such a good villain that I’d hate to lose that, but I see the writers heading in that direction, I hope they at least give it another season. Cora set to appear next week and in November and December, so I am looking forward to see where they take her character.

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m thinking that Regina will become allies with King George in Storybrooke.

Comment by Templar – October 15, 2012 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually felt they did a pretty good job of trying to balance 3 storylines. The Storybrooke scenes did feel a bit disjointed and like they were missing something, but compared to how it could have been I think they did a good job, and I felt like the FTL stories *did* get enough time to tell their tales. Last week I spent most of the ep worried about Emma and Snow so I’m glad we got a bit more balance this week. I don’t mind one part of the story getting a bit less attention so long as we still get to know what’s going on there.

Personally I preferred this weeks way to last week’s even though I understand that they wanted to have that ending to lead up to this week. Still I think they probably could have accomplished the same thing by breaking that scene up a bit and showing some of the first bits sooner. Maybe have it in 3 – Them walking tied up, Snow going all BAMF on Aurora, and then end with the scene in the pit. Then we wouldn’t have been left wondering about them all episode and I know that I would have then been able to focus more on the other storytelling.

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 14, 2012 11:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree one of the major downfalls of last weeks episode was that the viewer kept on waiting to get to the Snow and Emma storyline, so I was less invested with the two other great story lines that accompanied it, after watching it a second time knowing the lack of the storyline I was anxious for I was able to appreciate Regina’s great story in the episode and it is now honestly one of my favorite episodes.

Comment by Mike – October 14, 2012 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, this was exactly how I felt. I was so distracted that it pulled me out of the rest of it. If we could have had even a tiny glimpse early on, I would have relaxed and paid more attention, then I would have been fine to wait for the end. But especially given how the premiere ended with the cliffhanger of them arriving in FTL, making us wait until the end of the next episode to see them again was a huge mistake in my opinion. I still enjoyed last week, but I would have enjoyed it more if they’d fixed this.

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 14, 2012 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am loving that the showrunners are giving us great stories as well as great adventures. The Emma and Snow moments at the end, as well as Sebastian finally finding his daughter made me weepy. Cora morphing into Lancelot was wicked. I am upset that Lancelot is dead, I hope he is alive somewhere in Storybrooke. Meeting Captain Hook and Rumple’s wife in the coming episodes is going to be great. And Charles Widmore is alive and well and living in Storybrooke! I think we see Belle’s father pretty soon too. Ok mark your calenders – episode six is Emma’s backstory and we finally meet Henry’s father.

Comment by tvdiva – October 14, 2012 11:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit I was a little skeptical when I heard they were bringing on Lancelot this season; I was not sure how they were going to fit h

Comment by Random – October 14, 2012 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Him into the show. But it was fantastic! I immediately fell in love with him. And then they said he was dead and I was disappointed. How can they keep killing all these cute guys?!?!

Comment by Random – October 14, 2012 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have a theory that he’s not actually dead. I’m thinking he’s actually in Storybrooke and was cursed with everyone else, and Cora has been impersonating him from the beginning knowing that no one would be able to prove her false.

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 14, 2012 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • How? Storybrooke is small. Even if she didn’t know him, Mary Margaret would have seen him in SB but not recognized him. After ending up in the Enchanted Forest with her memory restored, she have recognized him as Lancelot, remembered having seen him in SB and asked how he got transported. That doesn’t work.

Comment by Templar – October 15, 2012 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Regina made a comment to Emma though about Storybrooke being larger than she could ever imagine (or something like that) so it’s possible that he could be there but he and MM had never crossed paths.

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 15, 2012 08:56 PM PDT
  • @Lorelaisquared Nice try but he is dead.

Comment by sanjeev – October 15, 2012 01:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We only have Cora’s word that he’s dead – not the most trustworthy source.

Comment by Katie Hart (@waterfallbooks) – October 15, 2012 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that he may not be dead, but I don’t see how he could be in Storybrooke.

Comment by Templar – October 15, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Regina said SB is bigger than you could imagine (to Emma I think) so I think it could be possible.

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 15, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes exactly. Cora would totally lie if it served her purposes.

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 15, 2012 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else think that the upcoming Captain Hook story line might be tied in with Little Mermaid and Ariel? I mean.the actor playing him is so young and he kinda reminds me of Eric from LM, I hope that it’s more than just a story line with Rumple and that there is an awesome twist ahead. And Emma nailed it this week with the comedy. She had me laughing so much.

Comment by A – October 15, 2012 02:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking Charming’s real name is also David.

Comment by mawhi – October 15, 2012 03:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think that this show keeps getting better and better.

Comment by david – October 15, 2012 03:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree completely!

Comment by tp – October 15, 2012 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed this episode so much more than last weeks (not that I hated last weeks or anything) because they struck a really good balance between all three worlds, I was really worried this season that they would stop kind of retelling the fairy tales, in the land that was, because that really was my favourite part, but I’m so pleasantly surprised, they’re doing such a great job!

Comment by Emily – October 15, 2012 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why has nobody suggested yet that Charming is King Arthur?

Comment by Lilo – October 15, 2012 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well since Lancelot is a disgraced Knight of the Round Table and he lost his position because of a girl who wasn’t Snow it seems highly unlikely. In King Arthur he was in love with Guinievre who was the King’s wife and they had an affair. So as interesting as they storyline would be to play out I think they already explained it.

Comment by Random – October 15, 2012 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldn’t he have known and recognized Lancelot in this episode then? And since Lancelot had already participated in and subsequently left the Round Table, Arthur would already be king. Charming was a shepherd, then learning to be a prince, then falling in love with/searching for Snow, I don’t think he’d have time to also be running things in Camelot.

Comment by Katherine215 – October 15, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not to mention the entire sword in the stone thing. We may yet see Merlin though.

Comment by Templar – October 15, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, that would be a fantastic plot twist!

Comment by Ella – October 15, 2012 07:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I sometimes suspect Whale is King Arthur (god complex, always sees himself as the victor, Charming isn’t *his* prince, etc. etc.). That is, when I’m not suspecting him of being Captain Ahab.

Comment by AL – October 15, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The list of characters I have on who Dr. Whale is is about a mile long. King Arthur crossed my too.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – October 16, 2012 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hi Kandice; Is one of your guesses The Wizard of Oz? The writers noted his “God complex”. I’m thinking about the Wizard fulfilling wishes [a brain, a heart, courage, home]. I bet my list is nearly as long as yours. David Anders said in an interview that it won’t be as easy as identifying Pinocchio was.

Comment by Templar – October 17, 2012 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved last night’s episode. I thoroughly enjoyed Snow and Emma in FTL. I’m so glad that Emma finally realized that her mom, Snow, can definitely take care of herself and Emma and why Snow and Charming gave her up. That last scene of Snow looking at the nursery that was really made me tear up a lot. Love, love, love this show!!!

Comment by SK – October 15, 2012 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting that no one is talking about the guy from the opening scene of the season (The guy who go the postcard of Storybrooke with the word “Broken” on it). Rumples son? Henry’s father?

Comment by Breck – October 15, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the Season One episode “The Shepherd” it is revealed that Charming’s name is David. He pretends to be James, but his real name is David.

Comment by Jessica – October 15, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still wonder how Jefferson knew that Belle was in the asylum and her and Rumple were in love. Was he hoping Gold would get Regina? And why did he wait 28 years to set her free? Did he know something? I think there’s a connection there and I wanna know!

Comment by Rissa – October 15, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it!!!!

Comment by RRK – October 15, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love these discussions where everybody is polite and respectful. For a minute I thought this site was going to end up like TV Guide. All the arguing and calling names is a turn off.

Comment by tp – October 15, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though I was already tearing up, that least scene, when Snow looks back at the nursery and remembers what it used to look like, KILLED ME.

The women of the show were amazing last night.

And honestly, I can only imagine the pain that Regina went through after being so happy about Henry calling when she figured out that he stood her up and tricked her. Not the way to be a hero kid.

Comment by cz – October 15, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will admit that this is not one of my favorite episodes to date. I feel like juggling three different worlds is getting a little much and it left me with a ‘meh’ feeling at the end. It just felt like we didn’t get enough of each world to give the episode a smooth coherent flow.

I wish they had more so cleaned up things from last season before attempting to juggle splitting the main cast up. It just feels like character continuity is lacking and by adding more and more characters to the extended universe it feels more and more cluttered and shallow. We didn’t even see all of the main cast last night and I feel a little robbed by that. Also, still no answers as to what happened with August, and he has turned out to be one of my favorite characters.

Specifics:
    What I did love. Henry and Charming. For some reason I find the dynamic between the two of them fairly fluid and natural considering the unnatural situation they are in.
    I also loved that Jefferson finally reunited with his daughter. It was well done.

What I liked: Cora and the fact that she seems just as powerful post-curse as she was pre. I’m very interested to see what she has in mind for her daughter.

What I have mixed feeling about. Emma and Snow in the Enchanted Forest. It is nice to see Snow back in her element, but they need to get out of there soon or it is going to start to get old.
    Emma and Snow’s dynamic. It had to happen, you knew the moment we knew Emma was the daughter of Snow and Charming that there would be a change in the relationship dynamic, and though I think both actors are doing a good job with it, some of the dialogue seems off and uncharacteristic.

Hopefully, they’ll settle things down soon and get eveyone back together in Maine.

Comment by Shannon – October 15, 2012 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel that they are trying to make everyone happen by focusing on three worlds every week, but I think instead they should do what they did in we are both, and focus on two worlds each week and give a little bit of the third each week instead of shuffling all three and by giving sufficient time to each, honestly I would even mind if they only focused on one a week as long as the story is great.

Comment by Mike – October 15, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who hates Henry for lying to Regina? Love the episode BTW

Comment by Lucy – October 15, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love Henry, despise Regina. She tore out her father’s heart and threw into a fire so she could have her way.

Comment by Templar – October 15, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The episode was A-W-E-S-O-M-E Some of you say you teared up. I was tearing up when Snow realized what Lancelot had done & already bawling when Emma & Snow had their heartfelt reunion & snorting unattractively when Jefferson reunited with his daughter. I like the Dr may be King Arthur theory someone mentioned. Also the Regina will go to Charming’s side to fight Cora is a great one too.

Is anyone else wondering where August/Pinocchio is? Supposingly he was still wood, then Gepetto goes in epi 2 to the room & he’s not there! I was disappointed that Charming & Henry didn’t search the Vault, makes no sense. Did anyone notice the heartbeats sound when Henry was near the drawers in the Vault, great detail Awww for the Huntsman to still be alive.

The King at the end had me going “whaaaaaaaaaaaat”

Comment by Rebecca Veight – October 15, 2012 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Awww for the Huntsman to still be alive.

I don’t think that’s possible, because we saw Regina squeeze his heart until it was dust, just as Cora did to Daniel’s heart. Unless there’s a way to refashion it, he’s got to be dead. :(

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 15, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t lose hope. Cora collected the ashes from the wardrobe and there was a light there. I’ve a feeling that Maleficent will rise from the ashes of the slain dragon. So, maybe there’s hope for Graham and Daniel. If Dr. Whale turns out to be Orcus God of The Dead maybe he can reject the deaths of the huntsman and Regina’s love.

Comment by Templar – October 16, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was perplexed by Lancelot/Cora asking if the wardrobe could be “recharged”. Since no electricity exists in Fairytale, where did that come from?

Comment by Templar – October 15, 2012 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Magically recharge!? You know summon some lightening to give it a new magic charge or something. Not really far fetched at all.

Comment by eNdEmiOn – October 15, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But in days gone by the word charge had two meanings: to rush at something as in battle, or to require payment. Electricity had no definition.

Comment by Templar – October 15, 2012 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Guess you’re right if you want to dig that deep into it. But if you do you should first address the fact that they almost all speak “American” and most of it is based on the German Grimm tales. So in a way everything is being translated to the viewers to begin with. And there is always a good deal lost in translation. If they were speaking German a more literal translation for recharge (nachladen) would be refill…

Comment by eNdEmiOn – October 16, 2012 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • OK, but the Grimms didn’t write that line and Lancelot would be speaking English. And I disagree that the stories follow Grimm. Cinderella is a French tale [I believe adapted from an Asian story], Mulan is an Asian legend, Sidney Glass/genie is from 1001 Arabian Nights, Jiminy/Hopper & Pinocchio are from an Italian writer, and The Mad Hatter/Wonderland stories and Captain Hook are from English authors. King Midas is from Greek Mythology.

Comment by Templar – October 16, 2012 07:50 AM PDT
    • That choice of words was one of the occasional anachronisms that slip into the dialogue. You nod, accept it and move on with enjoying the show.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 15, 2012 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, we still don’t know where Cora went when Regina sent her through the looking glass last week (I still suspect wonderland but I could be wrong, plus that may not be the only world she’s been to) so maybe she’s been somewhere that has electricity…

Comment by Lorelaisquared – October 15, 2012 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did nobody notice that Snow and Charming were married in THIS episode, but in the pilot they a have DIFFERENT wedding, meaning that:
    A. Snow and Charming divorce/anullment, then remarry later
    B. Snow and Charming’s wedding was not considered valid.
    C. They renew their vows
    D. Snow and Charming do a Jim-Pam wedding (first elloping secretly, then acting like the public wedding was their actual wedding)
    E. Continuity error

Comment by Matthew – October 15, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it was a continuity error… I think they did this wedding for his mother and then a larger wedding for the public most likely to help with moral and hope after they take the Kingdom back.

Comment by Cory – October 16, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m going with D. Jim and Pam and Snow and Charming. Two of my favorite tv couples getting married in the same fashion. ;)

Though people do that sort of thing all the time. They get married at the court house, etc then throw a bigger wedding later.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – October 16, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the inclusion of Lancelot, does this mean we get to see young Arthur and Merlin? I loved Archimides the owl!!

Do we get Mad Madam Mim too? That would be fabulous!!!!!

Comment by Dee – October 16, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree, it would be fabulous! Mad Madam Mim has always been a forgotten about villain.

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – October 16, 2012 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Episode was good. Mulan was not. Sleeping Beauty was much better this week than she was the first.

Comment by Babybop – October 17, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post