Ratings: Gossip Girl Returns Low, Castle Rises and (Most) CBS Shows Eye a Possible Uptick

Get More: Ratings

Gossip Girl‘s farewell tour got off to a tepid start on Monday night, with the final season premiere netting just 770,000 total viewers and a 0.4 demo rating — down 33 percent from its May finale.

Setting the table for the UES gang, 90210‘s season opener (with a million viewers and a 0.5 rating) was right on par with its Season 4 finale (which aired on a Tuesday).

The night’s biggest gainer was ABC’s Castle, which rose 2 and 16 percent to deliver season highs of 10.6 mil and a 2.2. Meanwhile, all of CBS’ line-up — save for How I Met Your Mother — is looking at possible upticks, though some football preemptions need to be factored out, so…. For now, HIMYM (8.1 mil/3.2) was steady, Partners (6.4 mil/2.2) looks up a tenth, 2 Broke Girls (10.1 mil/3.7) is poised for a 6 percent bump, Mike & Molly (9.4 mil/3.1) at this moment shows a gain of two tenths and Hawaii Five-0 (9 mil/2.2) may be up 10 percent.

Elsewhere on the night:

* Dancing With the Stars (13.33 mil/2.1) inched up 8 percent in total audience and was Monday’s most watched program.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: Once More, With Stealing!

* The Voice (12.6 mil/4.7) dominated in the demo, rising a tenth to match its highest rating since March 12. Revolution (8.2 mil/3.1) slipped just a tenth in the demo while rock-steady in total audience.

RELATED | Revolution Recap: It’s Lights Out for [Spoiler] — Plus, a (Coal-)Burning Question Answered?

* Bones (7.1 mil/2.0) dipped a tenth, while The Mob Doctor (3.5 mil/0.9) lost another tenth in the demo. Paddles!

Comments (65)

• Cablevision is ruing my nights,i have to wait a day to download my favorite shows.So pissed.
    They have to bring CW back

Comment by Elena – October 9, 2012 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! So pissed I’ll miss the premiere of Arrow tomorrow and TVD on Thursday. Thank god for Hulu!

Comment by Thea – October 9, 2012 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yayyyy, Castle! I can’t belive it beat DWTS in the demo!

I was dissapointed to see that the CW is still not on in my area. I would have watched Gossip Girl had I been able to.

Interested to see if CBS will fall any after football is factored.

Comment by Andrea – October 9, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Texans-Jets game was carried by the CBS affiliate in Houston which is a large TV Market (top 10). Don’t know when the game ended in the Central time, but given the size of the market expect at least a 2/10s drop for CBS shows.

Comment by Eridapo – October 9, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Adjustments were made to CBS lineup… HIMYM down a tenth. Everything else down 3/10. Voice and DTWS up a 1/10 while Revolution is down 1/10.

Comment by eridapo – October 9, 2012 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Castle rising a bit. No final ratings I think yet though? So tentative Yay it is. Nice to see HIMYM is still doing so well too.

Comment by Symce – October 9, 2012 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking at these ratings, it is definitely time to cut 90210-let this be the final season! Supernatural is getting way better ratings and its a much older show!

Comment by tvaddict – October 9, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you have wrestling, Monday Night Football and the Major League baseball playoffs all in the same slot. You think CW was getting over a million viewers that night? that’s not even how the shows function anymore, the nielsen ratings are all for live telecasts so nowadays w/ web dls and live streaming you can’t put too much into the ratings anymore.

Comment by Zoe – October 9, 2012 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • …unless you’re the advertisers.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 9, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • This made me giggle.

Comment by Gem – October 9, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, Gossip Girl and 9O21O share little to no audience with the big title games you listed so it’d have very, very little impact on the ratings for these two shows. This is Gossip Girl’s final season, and I wouldn’t be surprised if 9-O ends this season as well.

Comment by iMember – October 9, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um, no offense, but I don’t think that Monday Night Football, Monday Night RAW and the MLB playoffs are competition for 90210′s main audience. Just a hunch but I’d say all three are more male-driven than a soap opera set in Beverly Hills.

Comment by Marc – October 9, 2012 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate that 90210 is still on air when better shows are now cancelled (think Secret Circle and RINGER!). I really hope its their last season….

Comment by James – October 9, 2012 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol at the Gossip Girl ratings…should any of us be surprised?

Comment by Sam – October 9, 2012 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well that’s why we are on our last season. And everyone was blaming it on the Blair/Dan story line. It just isn’t good anymore

Comment by Elizabeth – October 9, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed!! I don’t miss GG at all and that says a lot because I used to be a devoted watcher. It lost its spark long ago…

Comment by Beth – October 9, 2012 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It lost its spark, I think, somewhere along the third season… They started to introduce so many pointless characters and the plots are not interesting anymore…

Comment by James – October 9, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I’m watching season 6 but I agree it lost it’s spark. To be honest, I don’t think the shippers helped on either end.

Comment by TPLO – October 9, 2012 05:43 PM PDT
  • Lol the gossip girl ratings suck so bad wow. Which isnt surprising seeing the garbage it is right now.

Comment by Jake – October 9, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Castle! Whoo hoo! Great going up in the demo, and it’s been the most watched scripted show for the last 3 weeks!

Happy for The Voice, too. I think the steal idea was a good one. It keeps really good people in, making in more interesting and competitive. It’s still the only music competition I’ll seriously watch because it really is about the music – as opposed to being about the judges. They also are always respectful to the artists/contestants and even when the judges are being snarky to each other it always seems more playful than anything else.

Comment by beckstle – October 9, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In total viewers which don’t matter. The 18-49 number is all that advertisers look at.

Comment by jared – October 9, 2012 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Steady as she goes!! Awesome news for Revolution and Castle. Last night’s episode made me fall in love with Revolution. Its best of all the new shows! People need to watch the fourth episode!

Comment by GK – October 9, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lol GG not surprised. I doubt CW on cable would have helped them.

Comment by Hera – October 9, 2012 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lmao so much for “Dair” killing the ratings and “Chair” being what the audience wants!!11!!!

Comment by annie – October 9, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL at gossip girl they reunite chair that the psychos wanted and THIS is what they get. They lost all the Dair fans!

Comment by Sarah – October 9, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I definitely decided not to watch after last season’s finale, and seeing Blair practically begging Chuck to take her back (AGAIN). But to be fair, the show in general has been dreck for ages. I’d say since early season 2. The Chuck/Blair drama got old really fast, and why the writers kept going back to it again and again is beyond me. And this is coming from someone who was a HUGE Chair fan in the beginning. I thought their chemistry was dynamite, but about a third of the way through S2, it felt like the chemistry was fading, and their story grew really repetitive, along with everything else about the show. To be honest, the Dan/Blair friendship is what made me take an interest in the show again, it gave the show a much needed spark, and it got the fans really involved (Seriously, that triangle was the ONLY buzzworthy thing about GG since the middle of season 4). I really wanted to see a Dair endgame, it felt like they both brought out the best in each other, and it was nice seeing a relationship progress naturally on this show, which is famous for shock and plot driven stories. Besides that, after that awful story of Chuck trading out the woman he supposedly loved to his Uncle Jack (who had once tried to rape Lily – although Chuck once tried to rape both Serena and Jenny, so!) in order to save his hotel, I never again shipped Chuck and Blair. The whole story was ruined at that moment, and watching her repeatedly go back to him after that, even after all of that happened was kind of sickening. But, whatever. It’s over now lol And I refuse to watch Chuck and Blair get their “fairytale” ending because I honestly don’t think it sets a good example, and besides that, I grew bored with them ages ago.

Comment by Jenn C – October 9, 2012 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh and BTW, I really think that if the GG writers were decent writesr at all, they would’ve written a long, drawn out quad between Chuck/Blair/Dan/Serena, one that was actually character driven and made sense, but every “twist” was stupid and plot driven and nonsensical. They really could’ve made that quad last for two-three seasons, but instead we were saddled with that boring story with the Prince and the royal wedding, and a recurring character ended up in a front burner story that was just plain awful. C/B/S/D was where it was at, and it should’ve been the driving story for at least two seasons, this is most of your core cast, but instead, Louis and Lola/Ivy were shoved to the frontburner. No wonder the ratings have been horrid.

Comment by Jenn C – October 9, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • God, I feel like I could’ve written this post. Except I am watching. I mean, I’ve invested this much time in the show, might as well see it out. Also, I kind of don’t mind Chair being together; I feel pretty apathetic about the whole thing. I loved them in the beginning, but I think the writers went too far with Chuck sometimes. I ended up being turned off by how unhealthy the relationship had become. And then, like you said, Dan and Blair’s friendship really caught my interest. I was surprised at how much I ended up loving Dair. Initially, I didn’t get too invested because I figured Chair would be endgame. But then I started to believe that a Dair endgame was possible and, needless to say, I got crushed. Oh, well. It’s just TV, right? Right…

Comment by Sienna – October 9, 2012 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ouch, this is actually really bad news for Castle. Its previous overnight demo was 2.5 and was later (after DWTS overrun was removed) reduced to 2.1.

May something like that happen again today (which is not unlikely), it’ll score about a 1.8 – 1.9. Then it really gets into the danger zone.

Comment by jimmh – October 9, 2012 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Woah.. Steady on.. I’d say Castle is going along fairly well compared to a lot of other shows! Not panicking just yet.

Comment by Jess – October 9, 2012 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think it will adjust down too much, the half hour numbers were virtually the same. A 2.3 and a 2.1 I believe.

Comment by Andrea – October 9, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You made the same comment on TVBTNs…. Read first before posting.

The NFL game was carried by the CBS station in Houston. IF adjustments are made due to Football, the CBS shows will suffered. Castle will not be adjusted given that there were no preemptions and DTWS rated the same as Castle

Comment by Eridapo – October 9, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last nights episode was hilarious,still going strong!

Comment by Shaun – October 9, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fox needs to pull Mob Doctor!

Comment by Car – October 9, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I guess Dan and Blair getting into a relationship was never the main problem with GG after all. Granted, the show’s quality has sharply declined over the years. But with these ratings, it can be safely said that the Dan/Blair storyline isn’t why GG fans stopped watching.
    It’s only a shame that “Chair” will get the happy ending just to satisfy the nutjobs who support them. And judging by these ratings, it’s just the nutjobs who are still watching.

Comment by Canadian_JBS – October 9, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised when it comes to Gossip Girl!!! The show lost its mojo. Even I am annoyed with it although it used to be one of my favourites. It’s good that it will stop soon. I hope the final season will be ok. Happy about Castle. The show gets better each season and isn’t afraid of the “moonlighting curse”. Love it.

Comment by Svenja – October 9, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now people can stop blaming Dair for the GG ratings drop, and Chair and Dair shippers alike can now mutually agree this show is garbage, all ships aside.

Comment by jenna@gmail.com – October 9, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah Castle! Still the only show I watch live. Hope it doesn’t go down, but since it BEAT DWTS in the demo it may not.

Also only compare Castle to other shows on ABC not other networks. That is what ABC does. By that measure Castle is one of the most successful shows on the network.

Comment by Lisa – October 9, 2012 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Mob Doctor .

Comment by Deborah – October 9, 2012 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately you and the other person that watches the show won’t keep it afloat much longer

Comment by Symce – October 9, 2012 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for The Voice! Funny how so many were predicting a ratings collapse the minute the Blind Auditions were over. The Steal is a great addition to the show and last night’s episode was fantastic. Revolution was also terrific, so I’m glad the ratings are holding steady. Looks like NBC actually has some good news this season.

As for Gossip Girl (which I’ve followed faithfully since it began) the end of DAIR last season was so ridiculous that it killed my interest in the final season. I hope CHAIR shippers are happy with these numbers…

Comment by Trent – October 9, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Mob Doctor (3.5 mil/0.9)

Terra Nova week 2 ratings (8.3 million, 3.0), finale (7.12 million, 2.2) (best I can find).

Fox DESERVES that 0.9 demo with the stellar decisions they make.

Comment by Renee – October 9, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They didn’t cancel it because nobody watched. Pretty sure it was cancelled because it was too expensive to make.

Comment by Kevin – October 9, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They said everybody made money on it. So they cancelled it…so they can lose money. Great decisions made at Fox.

Comment by Renee – October 9, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sure they got back their money, but the problem was they just weren’t making enough profits to justify the renewal of a freshman drama which was so expensive, critically bashed and would only get more expensive as time went by.

Comment by Dean – October 10, 2012 12:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HELL YEAH, CASTLE FTW !!!!!!

Comment by Lilu – October 9, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL at GG ratings. They suck, even though the episode was full of mature and epic love. I’m really looking forward to how Chair fans will argue their way around that… Oh, no wait – it’s probably Dan’s fault.

Comment by chrissi – October 9, 2012 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • actually Castle is doing very well. Even after putting the two mains together, it has had a steady fanbase and its not going down at all. it will only get stronger from here. The only reason why it was a little rough last week was because the promo did it no favors at all. Also, every show took a hit last week so its all fine. It is still the most successful show on ABC. Just look at the overall popularity.

Comment by Daniel – October 9, 2012 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah for Castle’s ratings, it’s a great show. My favorite scene last night was actually when Castle dropped Alexis off at college. It was just soo sweet, I love their relationship!

Comment by Sarah – October 9, 2012 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well at least partners went up! It’s my new favorite show and last nights episode was so funny!

Comment by Anne – October 9, 2012 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the NYC Metro/Tri State area, those of us who have Cablevision aren’t getting the CW right now due to a contract dispute. I am sure this had an impact (not sure how big though) on the ratings as that is a big cable provider in this area.

Comment by Meghan – October 9, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The phenomenon GG is facing is actually normal for a teen-ish show; it’s always been like that. For example, The O.C also lost many viewers by the end of its run. I’m glad GG was given a season of 10 episodes; it’s just enough to wrap everything. The finale will maybe attract more viewers with the reveal of who of GG is though I’m not sure people still care. I hope Blair marries Chuck at the end of the show; it would be logical :)
    90210 is sooo dumb. At least GG in its old days had an impact on viewers; 90210 never did. I hope it’s their finale season too. They don’t deserve more. Carrie Diaries should arrange everything (I hope)

Comment by Jennifer – October 9, 2012 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The OC lost its views because the writing was getting crappy. Same phenom. No excuse here, the show is a shell of what it was. Only only cult fans watch now.

Comment by Ato – October 9, 2012 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d say there was something to this theory. Possibly also because the target demo has aged considerably. My sister started watching GG when she was 17. She’ll be a month shy of 23 when it ends its run. She’s different now, and not nearly as interested in the concept of it as she once was. Plus, she’s grown up to the point where she says things like, “Yawn, rich kids whining endlessly about their ‘problems’ while I struggle to find a job that pays me enough money to move out.”

Comment by kate – October 9, 2012 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The O.C. was canceled due to the deathly time slot it got for season 3 and the fact that it introduced the SAME thing GG did; too many characters and wasted potential on storylines. Furthermore, season 3 was by far the worst and by the time it started to pick up Mischa Barton announced her exit which caused fans to lose interest seeing as she was the MAIN concern when it came to drama. The only reason people tuned in for season 4 was because of the Seth-Summer relationship and the fact that season was a fresh start. The only stupid thing was the Taylor-Ryan relationship, nevertheless, I respected it seeing as I wanted Ryan to be happy with someone.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – October 10, 2012 01:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe they cancel The Secret Circle (which sometimes managed to get 2 million viewers) and kept GG and 90210. I hope this is 90210 last season.

Comment by Nelly – October 9, 2012 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, it managed 2 million in the first 12 episodes and went down hill from there. Though 90210 still had less, it is less costly and does well internationally. 90210, however, is not too shy away from syndication rights which will make the network money. Though I wasn’t a fan of TSC, canceling it was the smartest move seeing as it would just cause The CW to lose money and would be a waste of time seeing as it was ONLY a freshman show.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – October 10, 2012 01:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get ready for the big adjustment CBS. HIMYM down .1 and the others all down .3 from preliminaries. Houston does love its football!

Comment by DenverDean – October 9, 2012 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve loved Gossip Girl from the first episode til now — last night’s episode was so awful. All the dialog was very awkward and not natural — it made it seem like the characters had been replaced with cartoon versions of themselves. What happened? Did they get ‘new’ writers? how awful!!!!

Comment by bobbie – October 9, 2012 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not sure how it is in other states, but the Tri-State viewers that have Cablevision/Optimum no longer gets the CW, that’s gonna play a major factor as far as their shows. Is it the same with the states other than CT, NY and NJ?

Comment by Marty – October 9, 2012 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 90210 got to go and thats coming from someone who watching, the ratings are bad, But Im glad 90210 & GG ratings are so bad, they making Hart of Dixie look really good, season 3 please.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – October 9, 2012 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Truth is, no matter how bad 90210 does, something else will do much worse that is MUCH more costly. Let’s face it; Beauty and the Beast, Emily Owen’s M.D., The Carrie Dairies and (possibly) Cult will ALL be canceled in their first seasons. Arrow will be the only new show to make it for a second season.
      As for the other shows that have been on the network; Gossip Girl is finishing up which leaves another spot, which in turns leaves 5 time slots open for new shows.
      The only shows that will make it for next year are defiantly TVD and Nikita (both for syndication purposes and because TVD is the best thing the network has in regards to ratings). Supernatural will make it based on the fact it has the second best thing the network has and is the only thing left from The WB. Hart of Dixie will make it if it continues with the current ratings.
      Overall, if the show keeps 6 (Arrow, TVD, Nikita, Supernatural, 90210, Hart of Dixie) and cancels 5 (Beauty and the Beast, Emily Owen’s M.D., The Carrie Dairies, Cult and Gossip Girl), then 90210 could be safe and locked in for a 6th and final season seeing as Mark Pedowitz is a firm believer in shows getting a final season and proper send off to fans. E.g. One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – October 10, 2012 02:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I realized I forgot ANTM, but hopefully that show WILL END! IT’S ONE THAT DESERVES TO DIE!

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – October 10, 2012 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh gossip girl, just roll over and die. You have no real storyline, you repeat the same stories over and over to the point of annoyance. You’re the first show in history to give your guest character a problem rather than them creating a problem for the main cast. Its quite obvious none of the people even care anymore.

Comment by Hojana – October 10, 2012 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Major Crimes?

Comment by Hilla – October 10, 2012 04:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post