Ratings: Nielsens-Needling Family Guy Outing Scores Sunday Win as All Dramas Decline

Get More: News, Ratings

Family Guy RatingsFox’s Family Guy – which, this week, riffed on the TV ratings system, natch — came away with a big Sunday win, topping all scripted programming with a 3.4 rating (while drawing 6.74 million total viewers).

Helping pave the way for Family Guy‘s victory was usual Sunday titan Once Upon a Time, which at 9.6 mil and 3.3 was down 15 percent from its Season 2 opener.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: A Hero’s Quest Begins

In fact, every single broadcast drama took a hit this Sunday. Elsewhere on ABC, Revenge (which at times seemed to play like a commercial for Emily’s car) dropped 15 and 19 percent to 8.3 mil/2.6, while 666 Park Avenue‘s numbers continued to soften, tumbling 26 and 19 percent to barely 5.1 mil and a 1.7 rating.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Over on CBS, leading out of a flat Amazing Race (9.8 mil/2.5), The Good Wife dipped 6 percent to 9 mil/1.7, then a wonderfully trippy episode of The Mentalist — which, mind you, didn’t start until 10:30 pm — tripped more than 20 percent, down to 8.6 million viewers and a series-low 1.6.

RELATED | The Good Wife Recap: Passion Over Pragmatism

Of Fox’s other fare, The Cleveland Show (4.4 mil/2.2) was up 22 percent from its previous premiere, The Simpsons (6.5 mil/3.1) dropped almost 20 percent, Bob’s Burgers (4.84 mil/2.3) fell 10 percent and American Dad (5.2 mil/2.6) ticked up a tenth.

COMING NEXT SUNDAY: AMC’s The Walking Dead, Talking Dead and Comic Book Men premiere new seasons.

Comments (35)

• Still solid for Once, I expect it will be up next week or at least be steady, now Revenge I can ok my hope stays at around this number or it could be in trouble. With that said both these shows were excellent last night shame the number don’t reflect that.

Comment by Mike – October 8, 2012 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well actually, Revenge should stabalize around here, that I wouldn’t worry about. However, in Season 1 it fell no lower than a 2.4 a few times, but it also managed to rise up throughout the season as well. So, I think it’s going to be fine. It’s very rare a serialized show like Revenge maintains the same numbers from season to season, so to see that Revenge is doing just that is great news! Also, Revenge seems to be REALLY popular on iTunes given it keeps topping the charts. I don’t see Once or Revenge going anywhere from ABC anytime soon. At least I hope not.

Comment by iMember – October 8, 2012 11:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon a Time and Revenge are very likely the best two-hours of drama, back-to-back, on network TV. Absolute can’t-miss appointment TV.

Comment by Jason – October 8, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found last night’s Revenge ridiculous and boring. Still love the show but that episode just didn’t do anything for me.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 8, 2012 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And I respectfully disagree completely.

Comment by iMember – October 8, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And I can respect that. Oh and thank you for being so kind. So far today I’ve been called ignorant, stupid, and a moron with a tiny morsel for a brain on other boards. A lot of people could learn from your kind approach :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 8, 2012 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once Upon A Time & Revenge continue to surprise! Last night was football – I am thinking that DVR numbers will carry larger numbers. I DVR’d The Good Wife and haven’t seen it yet – saving it for tonight! Those are the best three hours of TV the entire week -

Comment by Missy Kelly – October 8, 2012 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised 666 Park Avenue is doing so poorly – I find it entertaining and spooky.

Comment by Alice – October 8, 2012 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These numbers are so depressing. Family guy being the most watched scripted show is laughable (I’ve seen parts of that show before and it’s unwatchable IMO) and I thought all the dramas on ABC were pretty solid. I especially thought Once was fantastic (even though I wanted to see more Emma & Snow…I guess that’s next week) and having badass Charming back was AWESOME. Revenge was also good as they seem to be positioning everyone for even more plotting and backstabbing to come in future episodes. Even 666 Park Avenue was better this week as I liked this episode better than the pilot. Hope the DVR numbers continue to be strong and that maybe Once gets adjusted up again. It’s hard for me to fathom how millions of people just disappear from week to week. Seriously?! =(

Comment by Heather – October 8, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • FAMILY GUY was the highest rated, not the most watched scripted program (which was still ONCE UPON A TIME).

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 8, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ahhh, whoops! I totally read that wrong. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I rather enjoy seeing OUAT be the most watched scripted show every single Sunday! =D

Comment by Heather – October 8, 2012 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Bold is the new caps.

Comment by nadine – October 9, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Upset for Once Upon A Time and especially Revenge ratings.

On the flip side, those were about the ratings that I expect for Revenge and Once Upon A Time LAST week (since shows traditionally premiere on par with their previous season finales), so I cannot complain. If the 2nd week of ratings in the fall = previous season finale, they are performing on par or better than most shows.

Comment by OMG – October 8, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad for “The Mentalist”, but I had a feeling this would happen when they changed the air time. I didn’t even find out it changed till the last thirty minutes before-literally.
    On the plus side, that episode was pretty perfect–creepy, surreal, bittersweet, funny, poignant. Daniel Cerone is a fantastic and masterful writer. Where does he come up with these gems? The killer was just freaky, Jane was hilarious. Lisbon was beautiful, funny and sweet. Cho was cool. I loved that his subconscious wants him to get over his tiresome obsession. And I loved that he has noticed what an amazing, lovely woman he has by his side in Lisbon (sometimes it seems he takes her for granted). Wish the subconscious’ kick in the pants would actually make a difference. Is the belladonna thing gonna come back up? It looked like hat was what he took at the end. Because if Lisbon finds out there’s gonna be H to pay. Awesome episode. I already can’t wait for his next one. And I am not alone if the great response I read last night was any indication. Looks like DC pulled off another fan favorite. He and Bruno-they just have the knack for it.
    Thanks for the ratings news, Matt. :)

Comment by Natalie – October 8, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m loving sundays. Loved Hell On Wheels Hope It Gets Renewed. Omg The Walking Dead returns next sunday!

Comment by adam – October 8, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will there be a rebroadcast of The Mentalist because of its late start? I DVR’d it but don’t want to watch just the first half!!!

Comment by Brigitte – October 8, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it wasnt set to start til 10:30 under CBS’ new start times for late football days. so your DVR should have gotten that right. maybe just clipped the last few mins. (it started at 10:33)

Comment by SportsNut – October 8, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There was good baseball on last night! Playoffs, baby!

Comment by SportsNut – October 8, 2012 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Revenge does not get killed by The Walking Dead. Sure The Walking Dead will crush Revenge in ratings, but I hope Revenge relative to its own ratings do not get crushed.

Comment by OMG – October 8, 2012 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This isn’t the first time Revenge is going to air up against The Walking Dead. It should be fine given the strong following it has.

Comment by iMember – October 8, 2012 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would guess they skew towards different audiences, so I think shows like Family Guy are more likely to suffer at the hands of Walking Dead than the ABC women-centric shows.

Comment by B – October 8, 2012 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I watch both TWD and Revenge and IF I had to choose I’d go with TWD for sure. Thank goodness I don’t have to make that choice as they are on at different times where I am. But having said that, I think Revenge will be just fine.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 8, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once and Revenge really are the best two hours of drama on TV (followed by Parenthood).

Comment by brandon – October 8, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t blame football. last night’s rating was by far lowest of season (and one of lowest in past couple of years)

Comment by Chicago Dan – October 8, 2012 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rachel Taylor should have stayed with Grey’s Anatomy. She probably would have been a series regular by now and Alex would finally have had a real love interest

Im hoping she goes back

Comment by gary – October 8, 2012 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the move to Sunday in time doesn’t prove fatal for Revenge!

Comment by Karrie – October 8, 2012 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Every episode of revenge last season had multile jaw drops in each episode. I’ve seen two and nothing. Hopefully they are just setting up here. I do think abc made the mistake of knot airing it over the summer from beginning to end

Comment by Jake – October 8, 2012 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The problem is that fewer and fewer people watch these network broadcast shows “live”. It’s gotten to be unbearable, due to the “five-act” dramas and “three-act” comedies – way too many commercial breaks and too much commercial time in general. The days of the networks telling us when we’ll watch something (at a certain time in primetime) and how (with commercials) are rapidly coming to an end. And as that happens, the ratings – even for the successful shows – will drift lower and lower.

These overnight ratings reports are rapidly becoming irrelevant.

Comment by Miffy – October 8, 2012 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping Revenge would stay in 9 million but I knew it would drop to 8 million, I’m just hoping it stays in the 8 million all season long or go up to 9 million some epsiodes and 8 million some epidoes, but, I dont think it will be 9 all season long even though I wish, but Sundays is a tuff night because there are so many good shows, good wife, walking dead, dexter,etc…, But I am happy its doing so much better then last season, Revenge def. do not deserve just 7 million viewers.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – October 8, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Enjoy it while you can, Family Guy, next week Walking Dead will win all the marbles. I’m going to predict record-breaking ratings for AMC for that, even without its Dish viewers.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – October 8, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not surprised at Family guy’s ratings! It’s really a funny show. The people that don’t find it funny, I think must be retartded!

Comment by Ed – January 18, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post