The new season of The Vampire Diaries is almost upon us, and TVLine was lucky enough to screen the first two episodes of Season 4, which premieres Oct. 11 (The CW, 8/7c).
As Elena transitions into becoming a vampire, her emotions are heightened; the new installments might ratchet up yours, as well, as heartstrings are pulled and life remains dangerous in Mystic Falls. To give you a taste — no pun intended! — of what’s to come, here are 12 vaguely spoilery observations about the first two episodes:
* The way in which Elena remembers one of the memories Damon compelled her to forget is quite visually clever. If the intent was to catch viewers off-guard, well done!
* There is a lot of squabbling-sibling drama, and it’s not all relegated to Damon and Stefan.
* Bonnie’s a bit of a badass in the season opener. But it’ll cost her big time, in a way that’s pretty surprising.
* Let’s just say you don’t need sex to have a sexy (and somewhat disturbing) Damon-and-Elena scene.
* A tender moment between Stefan and Elena manages to thaw even Rebekah’s heart.
* Caroline and Tyler just can’t keep their clothes on.
* Elena’s failure to keep down animal blood provides for some truly gross scenes. It also makes her resort to something that doesn’t make Stefan very happy.
* Mystic Falls’ many dead friends and family – and there are oh so many! – get a sweet tribute.
* Todd Williams‘ ruthless new vampire hunter, who makes his entrance in Episode 2, has some impressive tricks up his sleeve. (After you watch, you’ll get what we mean.)
* Mystic Falls returning resident April (Grace Phipps) needs a hug for many reasons.
* Damon’s still saving a seat at the bar. Sniff.
* Yeah, nothing good is happening here.Follow @VladaGelman