Last Resort: Is Marcus a Mad Man? What Went Wrong in D.C.? And More Burning Questions

Last Resort PremiereYou have been warned. So, now what…?

The debut of ABC’s Last Resort (Thursdays at 8/7c) showed how the ballistic Navy sub Colorado became hunted by its own country, after ignoring an order to attack Pakistan. With the Colorado now in everyone’s crosshairs, Capt. Marcus Chaplin found safe haven in Sainte Marina, then declared a 200-mile perimeter around the isle that, if breached, will have… consequences. With that foundation for the series laid, we sought answers to some of the burning questions now at hand.

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Did ABC’s Last Resort Blow You Out of the Water?

WHAT WILL LAST RESORT LOOK LIKE ON A WEEKLY BASIS? | Sainte Marina will not provide an oasis from perpetual conflict, be assured. “You have threats external, internal, and then you have the island threats,” says series lead Andre Braugher. “You have the U.S. Navy, who wants their submarine back to neutralize this ‘rogue’ crew, and you have men on board who don’t agree exactly with what we’re doing. And in the final analysis, you have the islanders who wonder if they’ve been taken over, because there is the tension of an occupation. There’s the potential for conflict, transformation and drama in all three of those directions. Eventually we will fall back on the only thing we have, which is our character.”

HOW SOON WILL THE PERIMETER BE THREATENED? AND WHO IS ALLOWED TO CROSS THAT LINE? | You’ll wait no longer than this Thursday’s episode to witness the first unauthorized encroachment, one that brings with it an aura of mystery, affords Chaplin another chance to brandish his bravado and sets the table for an unexpected hero. And while this “No Man’s Land” might seem to erase any chance of naval face-offs,Scott Speedman, who plays XO Sam Kendal, is quick to tease: They have been warned, but it’s possible that we might need to go out there for a reason.”

RELATED | Robert Patrick Upgraded to Series Regular on ABC’s Last Resort

CAN LT. SHEPARD HOLD HER OWN AGAINST A TERMINATOR? | Pity the person who needs to get in Robert Patrick’s face, but Daisy Betts’ Lt. Grace Shepard did just that in the pilot — and will continue to do so, even with COB Prosser now in the brig. “It’s, ‘You little bitch, Lieutenant‘ – I just loved that!” Betts says of her memorable retort during the duo’s first face-off. “Everyone was like, “That is the best line!’” But with Grace now having to wield authority away from the boat, and with Chaplin’s leadership itself in ways questioned, “She may not always have to follow the rules to get the respect of the men,” Betts shares.

ARE THE NAVY SEALS YET ANOTHER, INTERNAL THREAT TO THE COLORADO? | In a word, yes, as if the SEAL team’s doomed leader’s rebuff of Sam in the pilot wasn’t evidence enough. “The SEALs are kind of shady,” says Braugher. Adds Speedman: “They are come complicated, secretive dudes.”

HOW ANGSTY WILL IT GET FOR SAM AND THE WIFE? | Episode 2 begins to put the figurative thumbscrews to Sam’s wife Christine back home, and with Jessy Schram also a series regular, expect her well-being to often be put into play. “She’s in 10 out of [the first] 13 [episodes], so we’re going to use her as much as possible,” says Speedman. “There are many things that can threaten to pull us apart and make everything all the more dramatic.”

OK, SERIOUSLY – WHAT THE HELL WENT WRONG IN D.C.?! | Autumn Reeser says that her D.C.-based military whiz, Kylie Sinclair, will get embroiled in “her own mini investigative movie within the series” as she tries to find out why the Colorado received a suspect attack order to begin with. “Kylie unwittingly gets drawn into finding out why our country fired on our sub, and she’s really good at getting what she wants — using any means possible,” says the actress. “Up until this point she has been completely self-serving and ambitious, so she’s going to find these levels of humanity and vulnerability that she didn’t know she had.” Nevertheless, her first pokes at the conspiracy result in a dead body almost straight away.

VIDEO | TVLine’s Spoiler Alert! Talks Last Resort, Nashville and More of the Fall’s Best New Shows

IS CHAPLIN THE REAL MAD MAN HERE? | The Captain’s brash act at the close of the pilot — launching a nuke that came thisclose to the United States’ capitol – does lean just this side of Not Just Acting Crazy, But Being Crazy. And a revelation in this week’s episode, of a secret that Chaplin’s been keeping to himself, threatens to cloud our opinion of him more. “We are going to question, Do we still follow this guy? Is he a mad man? Or do we forge our own path?” says Betts. Speedman for one looks forward to seeing Sam one day have to question Marcus’ motives. “What’s exciting for me is the building up of that relationship, and the potential to come up against my mentor at some point,” he says.

WHO’S THE LUCKIEST CAST MEMBER OF THEM ALL? | It would appear to be… Reeser, and here’s why: While virtually all of the other series regulars are filming scenes set in a tropical locale, Reeser’s Kylie lives in the less-lush Washington, D.C. — and yet she still got to go along for the ride to Hawaii, where the series shoots. Beams the actress: “It’s really a win-win situation for me!”

Tags:

Comments (26)

• Don’t care. I cancelled this season pass.

Comment by Velvet – October 3, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks. I was having sleepless nights wondering if you would.

Comment by vincentdante – October 3, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So what?

Comment by Gwen – October 3, 2012 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then spending your time on articles about the show is a strange choice….

Comment by Brendan – October 3, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Obviously you do care, you took the time to read the article and comment. Or do you just go around spreading negativity for kicks.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 3, 2012 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally loved the pilot. Finally a show that’s not a cop or medical drama. It’s a breath of fresh air this TV season.

Comment by Barb – October 3, 2012 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know, too bad it’s probably gonna get cancelled.

Comment by Gerald – October 3, 2012 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good shows always get canned on Broadcast tv. With a testosterone-less network like ABC, Last Resort may suffer. Still, excelent drama and Autumn Reeser is incredible!

Comment by Phil – October 3, 2012 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the show

Comment by Juan – October 3, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t think I would like this so I pass on Thursday night. A couple of people stated it was good so I gave it a shot on Friday. I was surprised but I was engrossed in it. I hope it keeps my interest time will tell, but I definitley will be watching this week.

Comment by Mary – October 3, 2012 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pilot was great, more people need to watch.

Comment by wrstlgirl – October 3, 2012 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic pilot. Fingers crossed for more awesomeness.

Comment by Daisy – October 3, 2012 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVED THIS! I really look forward to sering where this goes. Shawn Ryan ROCKS!!!

Comment by Tj – October 3, 2012 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The pilot was the best drama pilot I’ve ever seen. I can’t wait for episode 2!

Comment by nick1372 – October 3, 2012 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • the do yourself a favor and watch the premiere of LOST. You won’t be disappointed and it did this “marooned on an island inhabited by unfriendly folk” very, very well (I won’t say better yet only b/c this show has only had one ep)

Comment by guest – October 4, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I did see the pilot of LOST (very recently, actually) and I liked Last Resort better.

Comment by nick1372 – October 6, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So far this season, this is the best drama pilot for me. Matt, thx for the scoop!

Comment by Lorie – October 3, 2012 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Liked this better than I liked Revolution. Been there done that with civilisation ending with Jericho, Falling Skies, etc. This is different. May not last but its a novel idea.

Comment by Scribe – October 3, 2012 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great pilot and premise. Looks like it could go a couple of seasons with some steady mid to high viewer numbers. I’m on board…

Comment by sladewilson – October 3, 2012 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best new show this season; I found it riveting with compelling characters and incredibly refreshing in concept. It’ll probably get cancelled, but I’m going to enjoy every episode they give it.

Comment by mia – October 3, 2012 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I was thinking! Riveting!

Comment by Linda Lou – October 4, 2012 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If people come on here hitching this is gonna get cancelled then it becomes a self thrilling prophecy. Unfortunetly tomorrow night will be post debate so that won’t help the ratings. but if the audience holds and gets good word of mouth like it is and some media attention, it will go okay. a lot of great shows start slower like revenge. its the revolutions that start big then fizzle.

Comment by cj – October 3, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never thought that this was going to be my favorite new drama (I thought Revolution would take that prize), but I ended up trying it out on Hulu before its premiere and I was hooked. I hope its premiere ratings aren’t indicative of its future because I would love to see how everything plays out on this show.

Comment by em – October 3, 2012 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Last Resort – ‘We will all burn together’ – WTF, Holy S***!
    On Mondays, I have been watching Warehouse 13, Alphas, & Revolution
    Thursdays – Last Resort (replaces The Vampire Diaries – Sorry), then Grey’s Anatomy, and finally Person of Interest (Jesus + Ben Linus for the Win).

Comment by Bob Jones – October 3, 2012 09:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was an excellent show! I was rivoted by the whole pilot!!! Tell everyone you know about this show and get them to watch! What an excellent new show!!! Let it grow ABC!!!

Comment by Eric – October 4, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post