Fall TV Preview

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Once Upon a Time, Grey's, Revolution's Big Switch, Castle and More

Will Once Upon a Time fans see August in September? Who’s the (new) boss on White Collar? Will Grey’s Anatomy‘s April again play doctor with Avery? Read on for answers to those questions plus other teases from hot shows.

Once Upon a Time | I can’t seem to write anything about Once Season 2 without several of you showing up in Comments to ask about August, who in the finale completed his transformation back into wooden Pinocchio. Did he remain petrified? Or did Emma’s lifting of the curse restore him to his warm-blooded glory? I can tell you that in the Season 2 premiere airing this Sunday… that situation is not addressed. At all. There’s simply wayyyy too much other awesome stuff going on. I can, however, confirm that Eion Bailey will be back at some point this season – sooner rather than later, my gut tells me. “There are so many stories that are left open-ended, it’s just a matter of time before we revisit these characters,” Lana Parrilla shared during her visit to TVLine’s Times Square offices. “Eion may be coming back as a wooden figure,” she added with a laugh. “And he may not!”

RELATED | We’ve Seen Once Upon a Time‘s Season 2 Premiere — 13 Quick Observations

White Collar | When the USA favorite resumes its season in January, Peter will be losing one boss, Hughes (played by James Rebhorn) and gaining a new one, in the form of CSI: Miami beauty Emily Procter — yet all under the sketchiest of circumstances. The introduction of Procter’s character “figures pretty heavily in terms of our big bad, [Senator] Terrence Pratt (Lost‘s Titus Welliver), who forces Hughes out,” says show boss Jeff Eastin. As such, neither Peter nor Neal quite know what to make of the new regime. “The guys go back and forth – is she on their side or not?” But perhaps most interestingly, Hughes won’t go away for good, or quietly. Reveals Eastin, “James will return and have a pivotal role to play in the finale.”

RELATED | USA Network Renews White Collar and Two Other Shows

Grey’s Anatomy | Did you hear the one about the farmer’s daughter who received a surprise visit from Seattle Grace’s chief of surgery, inviting her to get back to work? Suffice to say, April was stunned by Owen’s appearance/overture, yet she will plan to make the most of this second chance. “In the third episode of the season, she comes back in, rarin’ to go,” Sarah Drew previews. “She has a whole new outlook on how she’s going to live her life… and then it gets completely turned on its head. But that’s really fun!” Does April’s new outlook allow room for an old (and her first) lover, Avery? “They will always be friends. Lets just put it that way,” the actress hedges. “But where it goes is a very interesting journey, one with a lot of twists and turns.”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Premiere Recap: Going, Going… Gulp – Were You Surprised By the Big Twist?

Revolution | The Cubs “losing” the World Series wasn’t the only tweak made to the Revolution pilot. While the plan was always for Charlie’s mom Rachel to be alive, the way that twist played out in the original pilot, with Rescue Me‘s Andrea Roth in the role, was a bit different. For one, Rachel’s status among the living was revealed at the end of the first episode. Secondly, it originally took place in General Monroe’s tent, when she stepped out from behind one of the privacy screens (see screen grab, right). Explaining the rewrite that came with the Elizabeth Mitchell recast, exec producer Eric Kripke told me, “We wanted to establish that character correctly, and my honest problem was that when she shows up in the tent in the [original] pilot, it’s sort of implied that she’s Monroe’s lover. A little. And I don’t know where that story goes! But I do know where a story goes where she’s introduced in a very different way” — namely, as someone clearly being held captive by Monroe’s minions. All told, “We’re launching that story in a different way with a different circumstance,” Kripke says, “which will give us a much cleaner line as we move forward with Rachel’s story.”

RELATED | Castle Season Premiere Recap: Was It Good for You, Too?

Castle | Despite Rick and Kate putting on their best poker faces, their secret relationship will slowly be exposed during the first third of the season — and, ironically, not necessarily by either of their two detective pals. Tamala Jones teases a “fun” upcoming scene in which Esposito and Ryan “are trying to figure out why Beckett’s glowing, and who’s the new boyfriend.” As Lanie absorbs all the assorted intel, then pairs it with an odd observation of her own, “She kind of figures it out,” the actress shares. (And yes, Lanie herself is still enjoying “a little booty call action with Esposito,” Jones confirms.)

If there’s a show you’d like the Inside Line on, email mattmtvguy@gmail.com, and maybe it’ll get some love the next time around! (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (37)

• Show us more Lainey/Espo action. They were awesome together!
    I hope Pinnochio turns back into August through Emma’s integration into the new Storybrooke. He and Geppetto deserve more reward for the hard decesions that he had to make.
    I didn’t think it was implies that AR’s Rachel was Monroe’s lover, but it did imply that she was cooperating with him for her freedom to move around like normal people. But I have to say I LOVE the new twist with EM’s Rachel. I’d almost pay to have a prison like that. (not really)

Comment by Kvivik – September 28, 2012 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I meant ‘they had to make’.

Comment by Kvivik – September 28, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m certain Mother Superior/The Blue Fairy will make Pinocchio “real” again and reunite him with Gepetto.

Comment by Templar – September 29, 2012 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really excited for it. And I especially cannot wait for REVENGE’s Season 2 premiere as well!! What can you tell us about that Matt? Things have been REALLY hush hush about the season 2 premiere for this Sunday.

Comment by iMember – September 28, 2012 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet Kepner is pregnant! Just a guess.

Comment by Rachael – September 28, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That wouldn’t surprise me one bit, and would certainly make things interesting between her and Jackson.

Comment by Brody – September 28, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yea but jackson totally loves her.

Comment by Elisha – October 4, 2012 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that would be fun to see, but I think it’s unlikely. She’d be almost four months pregnant. Owen would have noticed when he came to visit.

Comment by Ashly – September 28, 2012 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I thought it had only been a month. Didn’t they say that Mark was in his coma for a month and had no changes, so they were taking him off life support?

Comment by Cyndy – September 28, 2012 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think it was three because Karev made a comment about how he should have left for Hopkins 3 months ago. Then, there was the two or three weeks before the crash. She’d be fairly far along.

Comment by Ashly – September 29, 2012 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I can’t resolve this – but you’re both right. They DID say Mark had been in a coma for 30 days – that was the condition in his living will. And Karev did say he should have left 3 months ago. There must have been additional time before the crash we didn’t see … I … guess?

Comment by Annie – September 29, 2012 09:27 AM PDT
  • I think it’s so funny that two detectives can’t figure out who Kate’s new boyfriend is! I’m so excited for the Hamptons episode of Castle!

Comment by Andrea – September 28, 2012 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really glad they are going to revisit the August/Pinocchio story soonish. I’m very interested in how that will turn out.

Comment by BelleRumpleFan – September 28, 2012 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too many wood jokes are available with August returning to form.

Comment by BrianR – September 28, 2012 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah! I was hoping it would be Lanie who figures out that Castle & Beckett are together! She IS Beckett’s BFF AND she even told Beckett to tell Castle how she feels back in The Limey!

Comment by Shannon Quinn – September 28, 2012 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep, I’d called Lanie also! The best friend is usually the first to figure these things out. Although they are detectives Ryan & Espo are guys 1st. Now, if they were metrosexual guys like Castle they might catch on, but they aren’t. Plus Espo’s got his own secret going on? Yeah, he won’t be too into calling Beckett on hers. LOL! I am SO excited about this season! I SWEAR, Castle’s the only show that actually gets more awesome by the year!

Comment by beckstle – September 28, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I also called Lanie because of the girl talk in The Limey. Honestly, I’ll be surprised if she doesn’t figure it out by the end of tonight’s episode. She KNOWS how the two feel about each other.

Comment by Sarah Elizabeth Ann – October 1, 2012 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • omg…OMG….just THANK YOU…the lack of spoilers is driving all of us BOOTH BABES crazy so it’s good to know the writers didn’t totally forget about August. I simply LOVE Eion Bailey as an actor and I LOVE the character he portrays just as much…there’s so much to see about him yet and he needs a proper reunion with his Geppetto plus I think he should be important for Emma since he’s been a sort of guide for her during the last season. I think they bonded a lot ;)

Comment by anna – September 28, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with everything you said Anna! I love August and he is one of my favorite characters other than Jefferson. I’ve been dying to hear something about him! Can’t wait to see what they have in store for us! Sunday can’t get here fast enough!

Comment by wednesday – September 28, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • babes? hey,guys like august too. an awesome portrayal of pinocchio. alot of interesting depth and really fun too. not at all boring.

Comment by jen – September 29, 2012 01:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Keep in mind that ABC is airing an hour long season 2 preview just before the premier episode.

Comment by Templar – September 29, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s exactly why I love him…he’s deep and self-struggled/conflicted…good to see I’m not alone in caring about him ;) ;) ;) His character seriously needs more love!

Comment by anna – September 29, 2012 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • and eion did his own stunts(seen in the bloopers). good thing he’s fit. wonder how much leeway behind the scenes gave him when creating his unforgettable character. made me love that manipulating,selfish,lying bad boy so much.

Comment by jen – September 29, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very intriguing revelation about Rachel on Revolution. It felt like her introduction at the end of episode 2 was a correction of a mistake made in the pilot. Definitely glad that they reworked it so that Rachel knew about the blackout before it happened.

Comment by Derek Johnson – September 28, 2012 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad OUAT will be dealing with August – he’s an interesting character. That whole storyline of how he got here and his travels in the real world are intriguing. I’m looking forward to this premiere and season. Magic is back!

Comment by beckstle – September 28, 2012 05:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like August. he got more interersting as the series went on. I would love to see more of his friendship with emma. he may get her outlook on foster care and this world better than anyone and also would love him to interact wth gepto and archie

Comment by Patti – September 28, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks Matt on the August scoop! What would we do without you? :)

Comment by Kandice Sedlacek – September 28, 2012 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for OUAT….although from the way they left it at the end of last season, I don’t know how much I’ll still be able to root for Rumple. I still can’t wait!

Comment by WenRaz – September 28, 2012 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good to know that Hughes will be around, one way or another in Season 4.5 of White Collar! Love the way his character interacts with Peter and Neal.

Comment by rainey13 – September 28, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YAY for Hughes!! Agree with your post rainey13.

Comment by Jeanette – September 30, 2012 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LANIE!!! Lanie even knew something was different right off the bat. She even knew Kate was having sex. I think Lanie will figure it out first. Show us more inside scoops on Castle/Caskett/Esplanie

Comment by Kat – September 28, 2012 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want more episodes with Jenny in it!!

Comment by Kat – September 28, 2012 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finally!! Thanks for august scoop!!! Seriously, I think him or/and jefferson need to be a regular, they both have really interesting story, I want to see them more!!

Comment by kate – September 28, 2012 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why oh why do we have to watch April and have no more Teddy, a dead Mark and a dead Lexie?!?!? I don’t get it AT ALL. You almost thinking Shonda deliberately wants to tank the show.

Comment by Caro – September 29, 2012 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really disappointed with your White Collar news. I would so much rather watch the multi-=talented James Rebhorn than Emily Proctor. He’s been one of my favorite character actor for decades.

Whatever direction Castle goes in, I’ll be on hand. It never ceases to be entertaining although I do continue to wish they would replace Gates. The same is mostly true for Once Upon a Time.

Revolution is too new for me to have an opinion on the direction it’s taking, but I’m enjoying it and plan to go along for the ride.

I do not watch Grey’s Anatomy or any other Shonda Rhimes soap opera, so I don’t really c are what happens except that I hope those who do watch get what they’re hoping for.

Comment by Sable – October 1, 2012 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, Matt! I needed some reassurance that I’d have my August back… yea.. my August. lol. I love him. I was really freaking out about the lack of news on him, but guess you’re right. The premiere could have been a 2hr (shoulda been!).

Comment by Vanessa – October 1, 2012 11:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL…I freaked out too during the premiere… and then I got a little angry with Emma for not going to check if he was ok, I mean, he’s become important for her lately, he’s been a good friend too and he died in front of her plus he can understand her more than anybody since they both grew in this world without a family so you’d think she’d go look for him…but nope…hope the writers give her a chance to show a bit more care towards him…. lololololol… no need to be possessive… we can share the handsome sensitive writer ;)

Comment by rose – October 3, 2012 05:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post