What to Watch Thursday: Big Bang, Grey's and 5 Other Premieres, the Louie Finale and More

On TV this Thursday: Another big night of premieres, TVLiners, so I hope you’ve been pacing yourselves. Grey’s Anatomy, The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, Person of Interest and Scandal all return for a new season. Plus, ABC takes a deep dive on a Last Resort and CBS’ new take on Sherlock is Elementary. As a supplement to TVLine’s original features (always linked within) here are 10 programs to watch for tonight.

8 pm Last Resort (ABC) | Series premiere: Shawn Ryan (The Shield) and Karl Gajdusek bring us the crew of a U.S. Naval submarine, commanded by Andre Braugher (Homicide), that finds itself under attack – by its own country — after questioning orders to fire at Pakistan. The cast also includes Scott Speedman (Felicity), Robert Patrick (The Unit), Autumn Reeser (No Ordinary Family), Daisy Betts (Persons Unknown) and Dichen Lachman (Dollhouse). TVLine raised its periscope to check out the new drama; see what we thought.

8 pm The Vampire Diaries (The CW) | Repeat to Revisit: Something kinda huge happens to Elena in this episode aka the Season 3 finale. If you haven’t seen it yet but plan to watch Season 4 – which debuts Oct. 11 – you might wanna do so pronto.

8 pm The Big Bang Theory (CBS) | Season 6 premiere: Wolowitz tries to broker peace between his mom and Bernadette – from space, mind you – while Raj is a lonely singleton among his paired-off friends. TVLine caught up with some of the cast at the Emmys; click here to hear them preview what’s ahead.

8:30 pm Two and a Half Men (CBS) | Season 10 premiere: Michael Bolton (who, I have to say, won me over a little by taking part in this Lonely Island bit) plays himself as Walden plans a romantic birthday celebration for Zoey. The king of adult contemporary “kind of becomes a friend of Walden’s in a way,” executive producer Jim Patterson says. “And he’s just really funny.”

PREVIEW | Hot Glee Video: How Kurt Met Sarah Jessica Parker! Plus: Guess What’s Back?

MORE PREVIEW | Exclusive Glee Video: Brittany and Sam Shed Their ‘Celebrity Skin’ in Makeover-Themed Performance

9 pm Person of Interest (CBS) | Season 2 premiere: Reese needs the help of Detectives Carter and Fusco – and gets an assist from a uniquely talented, ferocious new ally — to get a kidnapped Finch back from his hacker nemesis, Root. Read scoop on the new season here, and hit comments to get in your final guesses on how the Machine supplies each week’s number.

9 pm Grey’s Anatomy (ABC) | Season 9 premiere: In the not-quite-immediate wake of the plane crash that killed (at least) Lexie, the Seattle Grace docs try to deal with loss and change. (Hang on, Grey’s fans. Less-dark, less-twisty and sexier stuff is on the horizon.)

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on 47 Returning Shows

10 pm Elementary (CBS) | Series premiere: This modern-day riff on Sherlock Holmes presents him as a former Scotland Yard detective and recovering addict (played by Eli Stone’s Jonny Lee Miller) whose sober companion, Watson (Southland’s Lucy Liu), doubles as his sidekick. How does it hold up to other recent Holmes rehashings? Read our review.

10 pm Scandal (ABC) | Season 2 premiere: Olivia gave up her White House (ahem) “access” at the end of last season, but is still helping D.C. power players who get caught in PR nightmares. But first, the revelation of Quinn’s real identity forces Pope & Associates to swing into action, while Cyrus and Mellie each put President Grant in a compromising position. (Read TVLine’s in-depth preview.)

10 pm Louie (FX) | Season 3 finale: Louie struggles through the holidays… and he’ll have even more struggles ahead when the series returns next season.

Comments (49)

• Shonda is so good at cliffhangers !!
    Can’t wait for the premieres!

Comment by Zed – September 27, 2012 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big night. Last resort, Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, Elementary, Parks & Rec, Louie.

Comment by Balaji K – September 27, 2012 07:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BBT and Grey’s live, DVRing Parks & Rec and Glee. Thursday night t.v. is awesome!!

Comment by Becks – September 27, 2012 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort (Yay Jessy) Followed by Glee, Followed by DVRd Big Bang Theory Followed by sleep and Persosn of Interest over the weekend.

Comment by Eli – September 27, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jessy Schram is a gem! Brilliant actress who made the awful Falling Skies worthwhile!

Comment by GK – September 27, 2012 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thursday’s are getting way too busy for me, last resort, x factor, glee and soon my CW shows

Comment by Patricia – September 27, 2012 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thursdays are getting so full! My DVR is going to be busy tonight!

Comment by Andrea – September 27, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously! Why are Thursday’s always the most jam packed night? My poor DVR.

Comment by amandareynolds – September 27, 2012 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Demographics. Many people in the desired purchasing demographic (20-49) are out on Fridays, so Thursday represents the network’s last time to get their commercials in front of those eyes before the all-important weekend, when folks tend to do their major shopping.

If you keep in mind that you are the product the network is delivering to its customers, advertisers, and most of its decisions are straightforward. :)

Comment by Agent Smith – September 27, 2012 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t Last Resort on ABC?

Comment by Anna – September 27, 2012 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort is on ABC, listed as CBS in the breakdown

Comment by Newo – September 27, 2012 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thursday is getting congested! Last Resort X factor glee and the big bang theory for me!

Comment by Josh – September 27, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BBT, Person of Interest and Scandal live. Last Resort, Grey’s and Elementary DVR.

Comment by tp – September 27, 2012 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 08:00pm Last Resort
    09:00pm Glee
    10:00pm Scandal

Everyone do the same. Thanks!

Comment by Christian – September 27, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It irritates me that while I regularly watch TBBT and 2&1/2 Men, I can’t stand Amy Farrah Fowler and I despise Zoey. Brazelfrat!

Comment by Tara – September 27, 2012 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The only struggles Louis is going to have next season is keeping his audience awake. Louis CK, tell your writers that people need to have a laugh at least once an episode. I have barely mustered a chuckle this season. Continuously going down from 4 the first season. I get your schtick, serious and adult themed. But man you are a comedian. If your show is not going to make me laugh just put a disclaimer with the parental guidance at the beginning. The guy could say “Rated TV-MA, No LAA. A comedy rated for mature audiences but not intended to make you laugh at all.”
    This is just one comedian whose act did not transition well to a TV show. You should not have been on an HBO comedy special sit-down with titans Ricky Gervais, Jerry Seinfeld, and Chris Rock. They put their work in different genres. Louis got a free pass from FX, being desperate for ratings and a younger comedic crowd. It is sad to say he would have been cancelled on Comdey Central by now.

Comment by You had your chances Louis CK – September 27, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Boy, I couldn’t disagree more. I find LOUIE’s exquisite squirm quotient gut-bustingly hillarious, and a perfect match for the psycho-weirdness of WILFRED. I’ll give you that I’m far from the usual audience for the 30-minute sitcom … you couldn’t pay me to watch any of the supposedly popular laugh-trackers (like 2-1/2 Men, *yuck*!!). But there have been a bunch of really terrific eps this season, from the uber-uncomfortableness of his bookstore lady dates, to his day-care outing with the “no rules” son of the “crying lay” lady from last season, to the multi-parter New Host of Late Show eps (featuring a *brilliant* David Lynch!!) over the past few weeks. Different strokes, man, I guess … but I’ve been loving LOUIE.

Comment by Mark – September 27, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Person of Interest!!! Already saw Last Resort which was quite good if you suspend your disbelief. And maybe, The Big Bang Theory and Elementary (which I’m totally against)…

Comment by GK – September 27, 2012 08:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Last Resort should have been a week long TV mini-series. How much can you actually do on a submarine? Let alone be it enough to garner a second season. Plus i got tricked by networks into watching Flash Forward, The Event, and V. Don’t start shows you won’t finish.

Comment by Daring networks to end what it starts – September 27, 2012 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big bang Theory, Two and a half men and greys anatomy live…. but i think ill watcg last resort as well….looks interesting!

Comment by Jose – September 27, 2012 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Elementary and Last Resort already. I’ll be back next week on Elementary. Tonight is Grey’s and Scandal live. Person of Interest DVR’d.

Comment by Deion – September 27, 2012 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Scandal & that is all.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – September 27, 2012 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • X Factor..Glee and Scandal for me tonight.

Comment by teamo – September 27, 2012 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Last Resort already and I’m definitely on board with that. GA, PoI, Scandal and Elementary – I’ll catch Glee on demand..

Comment by sladewilson – September 27, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • big bang theory
    glee
    then watch greys after i watch glee lol.
    love thursdays, some of my fav shows air!!! i don’t care for 2.5 men any more. its gotten worse in my oppinion even tho i still laugh a little.

Comment by L – September 27, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If your DVR is double-booked, I see that Last Resort is going to air tomorrow too.

Comment by sheri – September 27, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thanks for the heads-up. Does anyone know if they plan to rerun it on Fridays on a regular basis? I’m not doubled-booked on my DVR tonight but I will be when Vampire Diaries starts back up.

Comment by TheBeach – September 27, 2012 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. ABC has new programming scheduled for Fridays.
        I think this one showing is to make up for putting Last Resort in the death slot.

Comment by nick1372 – September 27, 2012 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s, Scandal, Last Resort (already saw the pilot though), Person of Interest, The Big Bang Theory. It’s full night!

Comment by omabin – September 27, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Isn’t The Office on tonight?

Comment by Noey – September 27, 2012 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grey’s and Scandal and maybe check out Last Resort.

Comment by Pam – September 27, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang Theory
    Glee
    Scandal…perfect combo for the night

Comment by Kris Bennett (@krys723) – September 27, 2012 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort, Big Bang Theory, and Person of Interest.

Comment by G – September 27, 2012 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Person of Interest
    Parks and Rec

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – September 27, 2012 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Once again, busy Thursdays!! Person of Interest, The Big Bang Theory, Parks and Recreation and The Office. Whew!

Comment by Justin – September 27, 2012 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TBBT, Person of Interest and Elementary

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – September 27, 2012 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Christ. I’m already on the verge, but I will officially have NO LIFE once Vampire Diaries starts up again. Thank all that’s holy for Hulu.

Comment by Thea – September 27, 2012 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • BBT, POI and “Elementary” for me tonight. Thanks, guys, for the listings. :)

Comment by Natalie – September 27, 2012 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Big Bang, Glee.

Can’t wait for TVD to be back on my screen in a few weeks.

Comment by Jo – September 27, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been so excited for the return of Grey’s Anatomy, but then I realized that my beloved Ravens play the Browns tonight. I’ll have to stay up late to watch Grey’s after the game. Also DVR’ing BBT, Glee and Scandal.

Comment by Jessica – September 27, 2012 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So after tonight, no more Louie for another 9 months probably. I feel panicked. Really panicked! Sunday better come quickly, I need a Homeland and Dexter return to ease the pain of the Louie loss.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – September 27, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last Resort and The Big Bang Theory.

Comment by Gerald – September 27, 2012 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching TBBT, DVRing POI and Elementary.
    I saw Last Resort online, and it is the best drama pilot I have seen in my life. The writing was superb, Andre Braugher was excellent, Scott Speedman was excellent, Autumn Reeser was excellent, and the girl that place Grace was excellent. Plus the awesomeness factor (Submarines with nuclear weapons!!!)… It’s great. You need to watch it.

Comment by nick1372 – September 27, 2012 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OOO thanks for putting that reminder for Vamp Diaries in there.. I’ve beeen wanting to rewatch the finale when it came on.
    Only Grey’s for me tonight aside from that rerun and the SNL special 1/2 hr.. my Thursdays have significantly thinned out since The Mentalist and Private Practice moved.

Comment by Danielle H – September 27, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will be watching Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, and Last Resort. I will not watch a version of Sherlock Holmes, who belongs in London in his own time period and with a male Dr. Watson. I will not watch any of Shonda Rhimes shows — all derivative, all soap operas, and all with absurd plots.

Comment by Sable – September 27, 2012 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post