What to Watch Thursday: Big Bang, Grey's and 5 Other Premieres, the Louie Finale and More

On TV this Thursday: Another big night of premieres, TVLiners, so I hope you’ve been pacing yourselves. Grey’s Anatomy, The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, Person of Interest and Scandal all return for a new season. Plus, ABC takes a deep dive on a Last Resort and CBS’ new take on Sherlock is Elementary. As a supplement to TVLine’s original features (always linked within) here are 10 programs to watch for tonight.

8 pm Last Resort (ABC) | Series premiere: Shawn Ryan (The Shield) and Karl Gajdusek bring us the crew of a U.S. Naval submarine, commanded by Andre Braugher (Homicide), that finds itself under attack – by its own country — after questioning orders to fire at Pakistan. The cast also includes Scott Speedman (Felicity), Robert Patrick (The Unit), Autumn Reeser (No Ordinary Family), Daisy Betts (Persons Unknown) and Dichen Lachman (Dollhouse). TVLine raised its periscope to check out the new drama; see what we thought.

8 pm The Vampire Diaries (The CW) | Repeat to Revisit: Something kinda huge happens to Elena in this episode aka the Season 3 finale. If you haven’t seen it yet but plan to watch Season 4 – which debuts Oct. 11 – you might wanna do so pronto.

8 pm The Big Bang Theory (CBS) | Season 6 premiere: Wolowitz tries to broker peace between his mom and Bernadette – from space, mind you – while Raj is a lonely singleton among his paired-off friends. TVLine caught up with some of the cast at the Emmys; click here to hear them preview what’s ahead.

8:30 pm Two and a Half Men (CBS) | Season 10 premiere: Michael Bolton (who, I have to say, won me over a little by taking part in this Lonely Island bit) plays himself as Walden plans a romantic birthday celebration for Zoey. The king of adult contemporary “kind of becomes a friend of Walden’s in a way,” executive producer Jim Patterson says. “And he’s just really funny.”

PREVIEW | Hot Glee Video: How Kurt Met Sarah Jessica Parker! Plus: Guess What’s Back?

MORE PREVIEW | Exclusive Glee Video: Brittany and Sam Shed Their ‘Celebrity Skin’ in Makeover-Themed Performance

9 pm Person of Interest (CBS) | Season 2 premiere: Reese needs the help of Detectives Carter and Fusco – and gets an assist from a uniquely talented, ferocious new ally — to get a kidnapped Finch back from his hacker nemesis, Root. Read scoop on the new season here, and hit comments to get in your final guesses on how the Machine supplies each week’s number.

9 pm Grey’s Anatomy (ABC) | Season 9 premiere: In the not-quite-immediate wake of the plane crash that killed (at least) Lexie, the Seattle Grace docs try to deal with loss and change. (Hang on, Grey’s fans. Less-dark, less-twisty and sexier stuff is on the horizon.)

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on 47 Returning Shows

10 pm Elementary (CBS) | Series premiere: This modern-day riff on Sherlock Holmes presents him as a former Scotland Yard detective and recovering addict (played by Eli Stone’s Jonny Lee Miller) whose sober companion, Watson (Southland’s Lucy Liu), doubles as his sidekick. How does it hold up to other recent Holmes rehashings? Read our review.

10 pm Scandal (ABC) | Season 2 premiere: Olivia gave up her White House (ahem) “access” at the end of last season, but is still helping D.C. power players who get caught in PR nightmares. But first, the revelation of Quinn’s real identity forces Pope & Associates to swing into action, while Cyrus and Mellie each put President Grant in a compromising position. (Read TVLine’s in-depth preview.)

10 pm Louie (FX) | Season 3 finale: Louie struggles through the holidays… and he’ll have even more struggles ahead when the series returns next season.

1. Zed says:

Shonda is so good at cliffhangers !!
    Can’t wait for the premieres!

2. Balaji K says:

Big night. Last resort, Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, Elementary, Parks & Rec, Louie.

3. Becks says:

BBT and Grey’s live, DVRing Parks & Rec and Glee. Thursday night t.v. is awesome!!

4. Eli says:

Last Resort (Yay Jessy) Followed by Glee, Followed by DVRd Big Bang Theory Followed by sleep and Persosn of Interest over the weekend.

5. Patricia says:

Thursday’s are getting way too busy for me, last resort, x factor, glee and soon my CW shows

6. Andrea says:

Thursdays are getting so full! My DVR is going to be busy tonight!

• Seriously! Why are Thursday’s always the most jam packed night? My poor DVR.

• Agent Smith says:

Demographics. Many people in the desired purchasing demographic (20-49) are out on Fridays, so Thursday represents the network’s last time to get their commercials in front of those eyes before the all-important weekend, when folks tend to do their major shopping.

If you keep in mind that you are the product the network is delivering to its customers, advertisers, and most of its decisions are straightforward. :)

7. Anna says:

Isn’t Last Resort on ABC?

8. Newo says:

Last Resort is on ABC, listed as CBS in the breakdown

9. Josh says:

thursday is getting congested! Last Resort X factor glee and the big bang theory for me!

10. tp says:

BBT, Person of Interest and Scandal live. Last Resort, Grey’s and Elementary DVR.

11. Christian says:

08:00pm Last Resort
    09:00pm Glee
    10:00pm Scandal

Everyone do the same. Thanks!

12. Tara says:

It irritates me that while I regularly watch TBBT and 2&1/2 Men, I can’t stand Amy Farrah Fowler and I despise Zoey. Brazelfrat!

13. You had your chances Louis CK says:

The only struggles Louis is going to have next season is keeping his audience awake. Louis CK, tell your writers that people need to have a laugh at least once an episode. I have barely mustered a chuckle this season. Continuously going down from 4 the first season. I get your schtick, serious and adult themed. But man you are a comedian. If your show is not going to make me laugh just put a disclaimer with the parental guidance at the beginning. The guy could say “Rated TV-MA, No LAA. A comedy rated for mature audiences but not intended to make you laugh at all.”
    This is just one comedian whose act did not transition well to a TV show. You should not have been on an HBO comedy special sit-down with titans Ricky Gervais, Jerry Seinfeld, and Chris Rock. They put their work in different genres. Louis got a free pass from FX, being desperate for ratings and a younger comedic crowd. It is sad to say he would have been cancelled on Comdey Central by now.

• Mark says:

Boy, I couldn’t disagree more. I find LOUIE’s exquisite squirm quotient gut-bustingly hillarious, and a perfect match for the psycho-weirdness of WILFRED. I’ll give you that I’m far from the usual audience for the 30-minute sitcom … you couldn’t pay me to watch any of the supposedly popular laugh-trackers (like 2-1/2 Men, *yuck*!!). But there have been a bunch of really terrific eps this season, from the uber-uncomfortableness of his bookstore lady dates, to his day-care outing with the “no rules” son of the “crying lay” lady from last season, to the multi-parter New Host of Late Show eps (featuring a *brilliant* David Lynch!!) over the past few weeks. Different strokes, man, I guess … but I’ve been loving LOUIE.

14. GK says:

Person of Interest!!! Already saw Last Resort which was quite good if you suspend your disbelief. And maybe, The Big Bang Theory and Elementary (which I’m totally against)…

15. Daring networks to end what it starts says:

The Last Resort should have been a week long TV mini-series. How much can you actually do on a submarine? Let alone be it enough to garner a second season. Plus i got tricked by networks into watching Flash Forward, The Event, and V. Don’t start shows you won’t finish.

16. Jose says:

Big bang Theory, Two and a half men and greys anatomy live…. but i think ill watcg last resort as well….looks interesting!

17. Deion says:

I watched Elementary and Last Resort already. I’ll be back next week on Elementary. Tonight is Grey’s and Scandal live. Person of Interest DVR’d.

18. teamo says:

X Factor..Glee and Scandal for me tonight.

19. sladewilson says:

I watched Last Resort already and I’m definitely on board with that. GA, PoI, Scandal and Elementary – I’ll catch Glee on demand..

20. L says:

big bang theory
    glee
    then watch greys after i watch glee lol.
    love thursdays, some of my fav shows air!!! i don’t care for 2.5 men any more. its gotten worse in my oppinion even tho i still laugh a little.

21. sheri says:

If your DVR is double-booked, I see that Last Resort is going to air tomorrow too.

• TheBeach says:

Thanks for the heads-up. Does anyone know if they plan to rerun it on Fridays on a regular basis? I’m not doubled-booked on my DVR tonight but I will be when Vampire Diaries starts back up.

• nick1372 says:

No. ABC has new programming scheduled for Fridays.
        I think this one showing is to make up for putting Last Resort in the death slot.

22. omabin says:

Grey’s, Scandal, Last Resort (already saw the pilot though), Person of Interest, The Big Bang Theory. It’s full night!

23. Noey says:

Isn’t The Office on tonight?

24. Pam says:

Grey’s and Scandal and maybe check out Last Resort.

25. Big Bang Theory
    Glee
    Scandal…perfect combo for the night

26. G says:

Last Resort, Big Bang Theory, and Person of Interest.

27. Person of Interest
    Parks and Rec

28. Justin says:

Once again, busy Thursdays!! Person of Interest, The Big Bang Theory, Parks and Recreation and The Office. Whew!

29. Spoiler Junkie says:

TBBT, Person of Interest and Elementary

30. Thea says:

Christ. I’m already on the verge, but I will officially have NO LIFE once Vampire Diaries starts up again. Thank all that’s holy for Hulu.

31. Natalie says:

BBT, POI and “Elementary” for me tonight. Thanks, guys, for the listings. :)

32. Jo says:

Big Bang, Glee.

Can’t wait for TVD to be back on my screen in a few weeks.

33. Jessica says:

I’ve been so excited for the return of Grey’s Anatomy, but then I realized that my beloved Ravens play the Browns tonight. I’ll have to stay up late to watch Grey’s after the game. Also DVR’ing BBT, Glee and Scandal.

34. Britta Unfiltered says:

So after tonight, no more Louie for another 9 months probably. I feel panicked. Really panicked! Sunday better come quickly, I need a Homeland and Dexter return to ease the pain of the Louie loss.

35. Gerald says:

Last Resort and The Big Bang Theory.

36. nick1372 says:

Watching TBBT, DVRing POI and Elementary.
    I saw Last Resort online, and it is the best drama pilot I have seen in my life. The writing was superb, Andre Braugher was excellent, Scott Speedman was excellent, Autumn Reeser was excellent, and the girl that place Grace was excellent. Plus the awesomeness factor (Submarines with nuclear weapons!!!)… It’s great. You need to watch it.

37. Danielle H says:

OOO thanks for putting that reminder for Vamp Diaries in there.. I’ve beeen wanting to rewatch the finale when it came on.
    Only Grey’s for me tonight aside from that rerun and the SNL special 1/2 hr.. my Thursdays have significantly thinned out since The Mentalist and Private Practice moved.

38. Sable says:

I will be watching Big Bang Theory, Person of Interest, and Last Resort. I will not watch a version of Sherlock Holmes, who belongs in London in his own time period and with a male Dr. Watson. I will not watch any of Shonda Rhimes shows — all derivative, all soap operas, and all with absurd plots.