What to Watch Wednesday: Modern Family and 8 Other Premieres, South Park Hits Hard and More

On TV this Wednesday: Premiere week continues with the returns of Modern FamilyThe Middle (supersized!), Criminal Minds, SVU, CSI and Key & Peele. Phew! In addition, ABC introduces us to new Neighbors and South Park takes a lickin’ and keeps on killing Kenny tickin’. Here are 10 programs to keep on your radar tonight.

8 pm The Middle (ABC) | In the hour-long Season 4 premiere, Mike accidentally reveals that he likes Axl best. Perhaps as a result, Sue tries to get her dad to spend some quality time with her.

8 pm Animal Practice (NBC) | Regular timeslot premiere: Doug tries to convince George to operate on his dog, and Angela sells off Rizzo’s artwork. (Side note: Is monkey painting actually a thing?)

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on 47 Shows

9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | Season 8 premiere: An escaped prisoner’s killing style leads the team to believe he’s the UnSub known as “The Silencer.” Meanwhile, Prentiss is gone and Agent Alex Blake (new series regular Jeanne Tripplehorn) has filled her place at the BAU. Get more scoop – including on how Morgan and Garcia spent their summers — here.

9 pm Law & Order: SVU (NBC) | Two-hour Season 14 premiere: It’s time for Benson & Co. to deal with the dead hooker in Capt. Cragen’s bed – after all, she’s been there all summer. (Get a sneak peek!)

9 pm Ghost Hunters (Syfy) | The show promises “one of the best pieces of evidence” it’s ever captured,  collected while investigating Louisiana’s Alexandria Zoo.

9 pm Modern Family (ABC) | Season 4 premiere: Phil and Jay go on an unconventional fishing trip and Cam and Mitch think about adopting a… cat. But enough about everyone else: I can’t wait to see how everyone handles the news about Gloria’s pregnancy!

9:30 pm The Neighbors (ABC) | Series premiere: I’m invoking this column’s Two Free Passes rule to tell you that the new sitcom created by Dan Fogelman (Tangled) follows Marty (The Knights of Prosperity’s Lenny Venito), wife Debbie (Still Standing’s Jami Gertz) and their kids as they move to a gated community inhabited by very strange aliens. Simon Templeman (Just Shoot Me) and Toks Olagundoye co-star.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

10 pm CSI (CBS) | Season 13 premiere: As the CSIs scramble to find Russell’s kidnapped granddaughter, uh-oh, evidence points to the culprit being a dirty cop. (Get more details in TVLine’s preview.)

10 pm South Park (Comedy Central) | The rude kiddos’ Season 16 continues as South Park Elementary takes steps to address a rise in the number of football concussions. We blame the replacement refs.

10:30 pm Key & Peele (Comedy Central) | Season 2 premiere: Comedians Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele return with sketches about Civil War reenactors and President Obama’s college years.

Comments (45)

• Modern Family & The Middle dvr CSI & X Factor

Comment by Nick – September 26, 2012 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sure wish Nashville and Chicago Fire were premiering tonight, there doesn’t appear to be any good new shows to sample tonight. I’ll be watching Survivor, Modern Family, The Neighbors, Revenge: the first chapter recap, and DVRing the X-Factor.

Comment by ABC is king of the networks – September 26, 2012 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Avoid the neighbors like it’s radioactive. WORST. PROMO. EVER.
      It might even drag modern family down, even though it’s on AFTERWARDS.
      ouch, abc.

Comment by JJ Michaels – September 26, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Criminal Minds and CSI

Comment by SK – September 26, 2012 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family and that’s it. Also, the revenge recap maybe. Wished Arrow was premiering already.

Comment by omabin – September 26, 2012 05:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There is nothing for me, tonight.

Comment by French – September 26, 2012 06:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I caught the pilot of Animal Practice OnDemand, The monkey itself will keep me coming back for more. Nothing is cuter than a monkey in a lab coat.. I will be watching my favorite FBI Profilers! I missed you’s! And Csi.. Although it’s been blah since the loss of Grissom.

Comment by Danielle – September 26, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You really need to watch Community, the monkey’s also on that show in a couple of episodes (and super hilarious) :)

Comment by kavyn – September 26, 2012 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Law and order SVU!!!

Comment by LongislandSVUFan85 (@SVUADDICT117) – September 26, 2012 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Middle and DVR of either Vegas or Castle. Animal Practice was cute – well, the animals were cute. It may be a DVR for later show.

Comment by cha – September 26, 2012 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. I’ll be watching the stuff I DVRed from Monday & Tuesday.

Comment by Simon Jester – September 26, 2012 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Starting next week it may take me all week just to watch what I DVR’d from Sundays! lol

Comment by Mike – September 26, 2012 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great comedy line-up this evening; Modern Family and The Middle.

Comment by Kendal Walworth – September 26, 2012 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I need another DVR box for my 9:00 shows now that one will have to be unseen :(

Comment by Larissa – September 26, 2012 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No kidding. Everyday after work I go home and speed watch what I’ve taped so I can tape more and so on and so forth. It’s vicious cycle. It’s hard work. I end up staying up til 1am watching shows so I can tape more the next day.

Comment by M – September 26, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not cheap (well it’s cheaper now), but TiVo has a 4 Tuner DVR now. It works pretty well. Interface is a little slow, but it definitely has come in handy for me. And, if you happen to live in Kansas City, Google Fiber is going live with an 8 tuner DVR. :-) (ahh, one can dream)

Comment by Mike – September 26, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Survivor: Philippines, Criminal Minds, CSI, The Middle, Modern Family, and Law & Order: SVU. Might try The Neighbors because sometimes I like watching ridiculousness on TV.

Comment by King – September 26, 2012 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Key and Peele! *bleep* Chappelle.

Comment by Bob – September 26, 2012 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Key and Peele are alright. I watched the first season as well, but DO NOT get ahead of yourself. They are not even trying to push the limits of comedy, especially with the time slot they have on a cable network. Talk about a slew of corporate approved skits. Check them out getting boo’d the entire time of a 15-20 minute set on TMZ. It was at a comedy festival last week.

Comment by Brickleberry time slot would have helped – September 26, 2012 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • awful. only watched for the train wreck transitions. hy-lariously bad.

Comment by JJ Michaels – September 26, 2012 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s also a Revenge recap on tonight in its old time slot before it moves to Sunday. I’ll be watching that and X Factor.

Comment by No one – September 26, 2012 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paget Brewster on SVU!

Comment by Birdie – September 26, 2012 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just Modern Family tonight. Ready for Arrow,Supernatural, Nashville, and Chicago Fire to start

Comment by Tvaddict – September 26, 2012 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just started seeing the previews to Arrow this past week. Looks good enough for me to make this my first CW show since the inception of TMZ. I am hoping they give it a chance, because lately these superhero shows aren’t getting a chance (The crappy Cape, No Ordinary Family)

Comment by . – September 26, 2012 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SVU but I make no promises to watch after tonight. Benson’s morose disposition has begun to wear thin. I’m only watching tonight to see how they handle the Captain’s situation.

Comment by Linderella – September 26, 2012 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Animal Practice
    Supernatural
    The Middle
    Modern Family
    Ghost Hunters
    The Neighbors

Comment by M – September 26, 2012 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Supernatural starts next week.

Comment by Stoneboy – September 26, 2012 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yee Haw! It sure does. Can’t wait.

Comment by M – September 26, 2012 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Castle-thon on TNT today starting @ noon.

Comment by M – September 26, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Survivor, Criminal Minds, CSI, Modern Family, South Park and might check out Nashville. Is there anyway we can make our days 36 hours long? ;)

Comment by G – September 26, 2012 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh, Nashville premieres October 10.

Comment by M – September 26, 2012 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TOOOO Many shows at the same time!!
    X FACTOR, CRIMINAL MINDS, SVU, CSI, Modern Family!!
    I am watching and DVR, X FACTOR, CRIMINAL MINDS AND LAW AND ORDER SVU AND CSI

Comment by Carm – September 26, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Paget Brewster on Law and order SVU!!!

Comment by kendallmh – September 26, 2012 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watching the Middle, DVRing Modern Family and Revenge: The First Chapter. Also, the kid inside of me DVRs the How to Train Your Dragon sequel series on Cartoon Network.

Comment by nick1372 – September 26, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will watch The Middle, Modern Family CSI and DVR Criminal Minds and Revenge recap
    After 11pm will watch Honey BooBoo

Comment by Trish Pfaff – September 26, 2012 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will not be watching Modern Family at anytime this year ,I love The Middle and L&O SVU

Comment by Joe Petitjean – September 26, 2012 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have nothing to watch so I will watch Animal Practice and Guys with kids to just support NBC and the Modern Family and then Honey Boo Boo and DVR South Park

My real wed. shows are Arrow, American Horror Story and DVR Nashville just to check it out

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – September 26, 2012 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the middle, MF, top chef and dvr the challenge!

Comment by Russ – September 26, 2012 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family and Criminal Minds for me tonight.

Comment by Justin – September 26, 2012 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Modern Family! I can’t wait to see the reactions from everyone once word spreads that Gloria is pregnant! It is nice to see fall tv shows returning!

Comment by Allyson – September 26, 2012 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say I am really freaking excited for SVU, which is really wierd, like I’ve always loved the show, but I’ve never been hotly anticipating an episode as much has I this one

Comment by Emily – September 26, 2012 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • modern family and south park- also the revenge recap

Comment by William – September 26, 2012 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Survivor and Animal Practice for me. I’m also waiting for Nashville.

Comment by kavyn – September 26, 2012 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post