Fall TV Preview

Matthew Gray Gubler Teases a 'Uniquely Done' Criminal Minds Love Story, Reid Getting a Twin

While much of the buzz surrounding Criminal Minds Season 8 thus far has involved Paget Brewster’s absence and the corresponding addition of Jeanne Tripplehorn to the BAU mix, fans can be assured that “a lot of interesting things” are on tap for Dr. Reid, Matthew Gray Gubler tells us.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Scoop on Criminal Minds and 46 Other Returning Shows

For one, “There’s a mysterious woman in his life,” the actor/sometime director told TVLine at CBS’ Fall Kick-Off party on Tuesday night. Pressed to elaborate on the seeming romance, Gubler would (could?) only say, “It’s very intriguing…. I don’t know how to describe it. It’s a uniquely done story of love, I might say. Or maybe not. I don’t know.”

RELATED | Fall Preview: As the Criminal Minds Team Hunts Killers, a Killer Will Hunt Them

Although a CBS rep was unable at this time to comment on the casting of any “mystery woman,” Gubler said the character “is someone new. And I think it’s going to be very well done. It arcs over a few episodes, and we’re halfway into it [at Episode 7]. It’s interesting.”

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Criminal Minds Scoop on Reid’s Connection to the New Agent

Also sounding interesting is a Halloween episode the CBS crime drama has on tap. A.J. Cook, who plays JJ, describes the spook-tacular outing as “really cute” and stressed that “costumes will be involved.” And that brings us to Reid’s “twin.”

“Somebody dresses up as him,” Gubler shares. “I don’t want to give too much away, but it’s a very touching moment.”

Comments (45)

• Dorsnt take a rocket scientist to figure out that the “twin” will be jj’s little boy..

Comment by Nicole – September 19, 2012 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’d be really cute.

Comment by Mikaylah – September 19, 2012 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, definately has to be her son. It will be cute for sure.

Comment by Kimberly – September 19, 2012 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Reid’s girlfriend exists only in his mind. He is starting to deteriorate like his mother, he knows it, and this is his coping mechanism to hold it off for as long as he can. Think about it. No one else has ever seen her, heard her, and he refuses to divulge her name because he knows the gang (especially Garcia) will super-Google search her and find she doesn’t exist.

Comment by Jane – November 10, 2012 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • okay what is wrong with you!? Reid is totally hot enough to get a real life girlfriend! or do you not remember LIla and Austen? if anything Reid has had more known relationships than most of his team mates. don’t you go hatin on Reid just cos he’s more socially awkward than the others.

Comment by Crash – December 25, 2012 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ahhhhh!!! This sounds great Im so excited for this season!!!

Comment by CMLover – September 19, 2012 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, I was absolutly adamant that Sheldon should never, ever have a girlfriend on the Big Bang Theory and yet they made it work. I suppose a girlfriend for Reid could work out too if done properly.

Comment by Katie – September 19, 2012 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds good but I dont think Reids character should ever have a girlfriend, it just doesn’t fit. I know a lot of fan girls cry it because hes just “so hot” but I have watched from day 1 and it will just make it chessey, just like all the other shows that do that. It would be like giving Morgan an actual girlfriend, a girlfriend for an episode okay I see that but an actual one? No, hes a playa. Reid is supposedly a genius nerd and trust me the girlfriend idea won’t go well with his character.

Comment by na – September 19, 2012 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Gasp* Oh noez, character development?! Say WHAT?!

Morgan is a ‘playa’, but that doesn’t mean he will be forever. Reid is a genius, doesn’t mean he doesn’t have feelings. If they do it PROPERLY, it could be good. It isn’t the idea of a girlfriend itself, it’s the fact that they have to do it the right way so that Reid doesn’t lose what’s so special about him.

Comment by Sara – September 19, 2012 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • i completely agree with you!!!

Comment by Crash – December 25, 2012 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even playas settle down eventually. I think a girlfriend for Reid could work if they actually put some thought into it and do it right. My main concern is that any relationship stuff becomes the primary story. As long as solving the case remains the primary focus of the show I’m happy with it.

Comment by Julie – September 20, 2012 04:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • agreed Spencer Reid is an attractive intelligent guy..my only problem will be if they find a run of the mill generic dumb girlfriend…for Reid she has to be bright and fun..abit like Garcia some intensity to her otherwise i wont buy it.

Comment by chessmaster2000 – August 8, 2013 04:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Reids got s sort of love interes a few season ago. Remember that girl from the bar. I remember thinking that kind of girls will be great to him, somebody that shake thing some time to time, and help him to “fix”. I really would hate if they give him a genius lady as social rigid as he is. Bring him somebody funny and smart, like an Amy/Penny mix girl

Comment by Alrisha – September 20, 2012 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, I liked Austin from season 4 and did kind of hope for a reappearance. But I know they did the whole ‘secretly dating’ thing with JJ/Will so rehasing that would be pointless.

Comment by Jessica Desrocher – September 22, 2012 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ARE U TRYING TO SAY HE MIGHT BE GAY OR SOMETHING I DONT BUT NO HE NOT CAUSE HE NOT WITH AGIRL HE JUST SHY AROUND THEM

Comment by Tisanavarro – September 25, 2012 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I predict Morgan’s endless teasing of Reid’s unique love story. LOL

Comment by Ana Claudia Monteiro – September 19, 2012 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Morgan would get a girlfriend named Emily. Who lives in London.

Comment by Jules – September 19, 2012 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And her name would be Rosscalledherrachel.

Comment by Morgan – September 19, 2012 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well played!

Comment by stefany – September 19, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL!!! That is the best.I wish it would happen but the writers are really listening to the audience which really upsets me..

Comment by Samantha – September 20, 2012 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excited for potentially more Reid this season! Hope the writers don’t bungle it. Last season was horrible!

Comment by EDS – September 19, 2012 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I LIKE ALL THE SEASON BUT WHAT ABOUT REID HEADACHES DOES REID STILL HAVE THEM. IN CORAZON AND REID WAS WEARING THAT YELLOW TO PROTEC HIM FROM GHOST.

Comment by Tisanavarro – September 25, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It may be Henry who dresses up as Reid, but if “costumes”, as in plural, will be included, then it could be Morgan playing a joke lol

Comment by Christy – September 19, 2012 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THIS fangirl would be really happy if the producers had the GUTS to let the Reid character of out the closet! Grow some balls already.

Comment by LadyFanGirl – September 19, 2012 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not that I would mind that, but the show has already established that Reid is straight. There have been a few episodes where he has tried to pick up a girl and/or asked Morgan for advice on women.

Comment by Carrie – September 20, 2012 04:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Reid’s extreme awkwardness with women could easily be used as evidence maybe he’d be more comfortable with men. Just because he’s asked a girl out, doesn’t mean he’d have to exclusively only like women. He’s young, and has very little experience. It could just be he hasn’t yet figured out *what* he likes.

And then there’s Ethan.

Comment by Blue Sunflower – September 20, 2012 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I DONT AGREE WITH NO ONE MATT PLAYS REID NOT A GAY PERSON CAUSE HE CANT FIRGURE OUT WHAT HE WANTS. MATT SORRY U HAVE TO READ THIS ABOUT UR CHARACTER RATHER HE MIGHT BE GAY .NO NO I DONT HAVE NOTHING AGAINST GAY DONT TALK ABOUT REID LIKE THAT

Comment by Tisanavarro – September 25, 2012 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • uhm….no, not really. Not mocking you, but if you know any gay people or know of their experiences, then there’s no way that you could actually believe that the episodes establish that Reid is straight. Sorry, but sexuality isn’t that black and white…as evidenced by the existence of bi-sexual people.

Comment by LadyFanGirl – September 21, 2012 03:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh, I agree with you. It is not black and white in the real world. But this is television and television has never been great at reflecting real life. It’s all about stereotypes. I would be highly impressed (and plesantly surprised) if they went in that direction and took the time to really develop a three-dimentional person. So, I stand by my statement above. The show established that he is straight and I don’t think they will put anymore thought into it or push any boundaries. (And please don’t take this as an argument against gay characters. I’m all for it. This is more of a complaint against stale television.)

Comment by Carrie – September 21, 2012 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what basis is there for that, especially considering reid has had a few episodes where he has shown interest in women. not saying i dont like having gay characters, just saying it would have to be consistent with how they have displayed the character in the past something which in this case definitely wouldnt be

Comment by Alan – September 20, 2012 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There is NOTHING about Reid’s behavior that precludes an internal struggle with sexuality – with the underlying cause being homosexuality and MUCH that suggests that is exactly what’s going on. Reid is a young man, trying to find “normality” in a life that has been anything BUT normal.

My suggestion to you: ask some gay people about their experiences. Ask them if they ever tried to appear straight or even “BE” straight when they were trying to figure out the whole sexuality thing as a young person. You’d no longer be surprised at my conclusion regarding Reid and if your are honest, then you can say, “oh, I see that now”, even if that is not your personal wish to see that.

Comment by LadyFanGirl – September 21, 2012 03:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ive been there when people have been struggling with their sexuality both before coming out and after so i know what thats like and trust me i just dont see it in reid

Comment by Alan – September 21, 2012 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I M NOT AGAINST GAYS I HAVE FRIENDS THAT ARE BUT REID IS NOT AND I DONT SEE REID BEING THAT NO OFFENSE

Comment by Tisanavarro – September 25, 2012 07:10 PM PDT
    • Actually Jeff Davis, the creator, (i think it was him, someone connected to Criminal Minds since the begginning) said that Reid was originally going to be bisexual but the netowrk shot the idea down.

Comment by Makayla – November 18, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I see Reid with a sweet fragile girl who makes him feel protective of her. And her vulnerability makes him stronger.

Comment by Templar – September 19, 2012 05:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Spence and the bartender were a nice match!

Comment by Devery – September 20, 2012 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do too. I really liked her and I’m sorry they didn’t keep her around.

Comment by Joc – September 21, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WHAT ABOUT LILA IN THAT ESPOIDE SOMEBODY WATCHIN I THINK REID REALLY LIKE HER I MEAN THE WAY HE KISS HER IN THE POOL. I PERFER HER REID DID FALL FOR HER

Comment by Tisanavarro – September 25, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was just thinking of her whilst reading these comments! The 2 of them were really cute together. I actually has a dream where Reid has a daughter, and then he told everybody and then Morgan started being… well Morgan. Strange, I know. I’m not saying I want this to happen, but I want Reid to finally have some form of relationship! I also hope Henry makes an appearance (yes, I also think he’s going to dress as Reid for halloween)! And and Henry together dressed as Reid – Super cute! But I think Jack would probably chose to go as Hotch again

Comment by Katie – October 2, 2012 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • shes too flaky

Comment by chessmaster2000 – August 8, 2013 04:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE U MATT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK SEE U ON CM TOMORROW. LOVE

Comment by Tisanavarro – September 25, 2012 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the final episode was refreshing because it was a celebration of life and hope, unlike the other season. to see hotch smiling more was endearing and tender and humane. i really would like to see reid becoming a stronger character and falling in love. his character needs it.it is sad to see prentiss go but her character has become
    redundant in the show.

Comment by rowe n. – October 2, 2012 08:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Reid has a girlfriend and Henry doesn’t want to celebrate Halloween Reid talks to him and convinces him to dress up and he dresses as Reid. Because of photos on twitter and the spoiler that Henry doesn’t want to celebrate Halloween. :)

Comment by hollboll – October 23, 2012 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she ought to be a vintage girl with fab scarves and net stockings. Her chess set comes right out of Mod Squad, she has a dog that stops Reid right in his statistical tracks. :

Comment by snowball – November 25, 2012 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I stopped watching CM. They seem to forget how to treat Reid’s character well. Season7 was just irritating for me.The less Reid, the less interesting. And I really missed old CM.

Comment by 蝶舞ルナ (@altemislune) – January 8, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post