Fall TV Preview: The CSI Team's Lives and Hearts Are at Stake, But Whom Can They Trust?

CSI When CSI signed off last May, Elisabeth Shue’s Finlay found herself literally in the arms of the enemy when a potentially dangerous detective started to get up close and personal with her. So just how will the investigator get out of harm’s way — and save Russell’s (Ted Danson) granddaughter in the process — during the Sept. 26 season premiere (CBS, 10/9c)?

FALL PREVIEW | Exclusive Scoop on New Season of CSI — Plus 46 Other Shows!

“She will launch herself on a dangerous mission and use her smarts and her toughness,” says executive producer Don McGill. “And I can tell you this much: In the premiere, Lisa Shue as Finlay really proved herself to be an action hero.”

But Billy Magnussen’s possibly shady Det. Crenshaw won’t be the only one under suspicion: Finlay’s own main squeeze may be playing for the other side. “We’re not going to know quite whether [Detective Carlos] Moreno [played by Enrique Murciano] is a good guy or a bad guy,” reveals the EP. “We won’t really know whether he’s someone we can trust or not.”

Even if he passes the test, Finlay may not — especially after her ex-husband, a Seattle cop, is introduced during a re-opened cold case and starts to cause “trouble” for the CSI.

“All I can say is, Moreno may well be cheated on,” teases McGill.

PHOTOS | CBS Sneak Peeks: The Mentalist‘s Face-Off, CSI Tracks Down [Spoiler] and CSI: NY Is On Fire

The theme of who can and can’t be believed will play heavily into the season opener, especially when Russell is faced with “evidence to say that it was a dirty cop involved in the abduction of his granddaughter,” previews McGill. “At that moment, [Ex-Under Sheriff] McKeen’s infiltration of the LVPD, it really comes home to Russell. We have a moment where Russell basically looks at the sea of cops and realizes there’s no one he can trust except for our guys and [Captain] Brass’ people.”

1. Dominique says:

If only I actually cared about the character who only joined just a few months ago and apparently considered to be a bigger character than those who’ve been with the show since the beginning…

2. Guardian says:

I agree. I could careless about FInlay. I like the actress but I really do not like the character. I rather see more focus on the originals that remain.

3. jovanka says:

Count me as another who could care less about Finlay and her Mary Sue action hero ways. Wouldn’t shed a tear if she ended up dead.

Nice to see Brass’ name actually mentioned, even in passing. I think the writers are trying to forget he still exists.

4. Jenna says:

Unfortunately, fans don’t move on as quickly as tptb. I don’t care much about Finn; and the show should not be about ‘action heroes’.

5. Lisa says:

I love Danson as Russell – he was a great addition to the cast. Shue, however, I can’t stand. Before she proves she’s an action hero, maybe she could prove she’s an actor? I can’t stand her character, and if the season is going to be centered on her, I won’t be watching much…

6. Zap says:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. When did Danny Taylor join CSI?!

7. forwarddad says:

Lisa Shue? Isn’t it Elizabeth?

8. Cathy says:

No, no no!

9. Meg says:

This show is still on? Seriously?

10. holly says:

Like so many here I wish they would place more importance of the original characters we knnow and love. Love Danson but Shue notsomuch

11. Mcat says:

Goodness, is the entire season about Finlay? Don’t TPTB realize that most viewers don’t actually care about her? How about some more GREG. Poor dude is always getting the shaft when it comes to story-lines.

12. I actually prefer Finlay and Russel to Sara and Nick, and I’m not even kidding! They’ve been a breath of fresh air to the show! The season before this last one had bee sooo boring! I was glad the new characters came in! The thing with CSI (as it was with Miami) is that they’re not like CSI:NY, where everyone is NICE and FUNNY and NOT WHINY! So, changing the team around every couple of years is a good thing!

13. catbean says:

I’m surprised how much I’ve enjoyed the new additions, especially Shue because I can’t say I was a big fan. I agree they need to even the focus out to include good stories for the ‘old’ folks but not Sara. Never liked her, never will. My favorite has always been Nicky.

14. lilacslily2013 says:

the csi people are always saying they listen to the fans, well not this time, focus more on original cast, these new ones are NOT working, and the fans are fed up. Csi is beyond boring now, no one gives a st about the new people, they don’t fit in just like Riley, and the other chick.