What to Watch Wednesday: Damages Done, Britney (Hopefully) Has X Appeal and More

On TV this Wednesday: Glenn Close and Rose Byrne do Damages for the last time, Britney Spears joins in the search for singers with The X Factor, the housemates must go back to The Real World when they leave St. Thomas and brews and babies mingle when we meet Guys With Kids. Here are nine programs to keep on your radar.

RELATED | The Voice‘s Super-Sized Premiere Week Pits NBC Songfest Against Fox’s X Factor Opener

8 pm The X Factor (Fox) | Season 2 premiere: Simon Cowell, Demi Lovato and L.A. Reid — not to mention the legendary Miss Britney Spears — fill the judges’ panel for Season 2 of the singing competition. (The two-night opener continues Thursday at 8 pm.)

8 pm The Middle (ABC) | Repeat to Revisit: Is Frankie playing quidditch? Because she’s found one Heck of a golden snitch in Brick.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 46 Returning Favorites!

9 pm Damages (DirecTV Channel 239) | Series finale: When Patty and Ellen face off in court, the results change their lives forever — although given the pigeon pecking at Ellen’s head as she lay in the alley in last week’s episode, could it be that “forever” won’t be very long for the younger attorney?

9 pm Royal Pains (USA Network) | Hank and Boris put aside their differences to rescue Dmitry, who’s having a medical emergency in a foreign land; Evan and Paige meet Louise “Lou” Hunter (Rosanna Arquette), a Hamptons visitor who claims to be Paige’s biological mom.

9 pm Criminal Minds (CBS) | Another Repeat to Remember: Emily leaves the BAU for good and J.J. and Will get hitched in the Season 7 finale.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

10 pm Guys With Kids (NBC) | In keeping with this column’s Two Free Passes rule, there’s this: Following the penultimate America’s Got Talent, get a sneak peek of this Jimmy Fallon-produced comedy starring Anthony Anderson (Law & Order), Jesse Bradford (The West Wing) and Zach Cregger (Friends With Benefits) as 30-something dads desperately trying to stay young. Jamie-Lynn Sigler (The Sopranos), Erinn Hayes (Childrens Hospital) and Tempestt Bledsoe (The Cosby Show) play the gals in the guys’ lives.

10 pm Top Chef Masters (Bravo) | The chefs must prepare an elegant picnic meal for Las Vegas’ first-ever Dinner En Blanc, an underground event at which diners dressed in white enjoy an epic, impromptu feast.

10 pm The Real World: St. Thomas (MTV) | Season finale: The gang, minus Brandon, says its good-byes as the reality show’s 27th go-around comes to a Caribbean close. (A reunion show follows at 11 pm.)

10 pm Paranormal Witness (Syfy) | A woman is haunted by spirits in a California apartment complex. Don’t worry, lady; once you banish the mother, we’re sure the son is exactly the kind of low-key roommate you’re hoping for.

1. Nick says:

Give X Factor a try, ABC comedies if X Factor sucks though

2. If Ellen dies and/or Patty goes to jail, I’ll be so disappointed. I still can’t accept this being the final season. I wish they dragged it out for another season. Hopefully the finale is at least an hour and 20 minutes. Here is hoping for TV movie!

• Gerald says:

As much as I love the show, its time to end it. IMO the show never jumped the shark and always managed to have great acting and writing. I really don’t want them to drag it out and make it boring. As for a tv movie, I really hope they don’t do that as usually those tv movies/reunions are most of the times terrible.

3. Jacob says:

The series finale is 70 minutes, for Damages! Will miss it tho

4. greysfan says:

X Factor is going to be great this year. Can’t wait for it.

5. Newo says:

Guys with kids aired here in Canada last night, and i love Jimmy Fallon but i really hope this show improves after this first episode, if not, it will get lost in the sitcom boom of this season

6. Newo says:

Guys With Kids aired here in Canada last night, and i love Jimmy Fallon, but i really hope this show improves after this episode, if not, it will get lost (and cancelled) in the sitcom boom of this season

7. Tom K says:

The Damages finale will run 1 hr 10 min, so sad it’s the last episode. It’s been a tour de force for Glenn Close & Rose Byrne..

8. Mia says:

X Factor it is for tonight.

9. Jared says:

Normally I don’t watch music competition shows..but have to watch the X FACTOR!

10. Kelly says:

I’m happy that I don’t live in the US so I don’t have to choose between Damages and the second hour of The X Factor. Damages has been one of my favorite shows since it first aired on FX. But I’ve never been so excited to watch something as I am to watch The X Factor. I’m a huge fan of both the British version and Simon Cowell and was really upset with the show last year. First they got rid off Cheryl Cole, who would be hands down the hottest and most charismatic person on TV, then replace her by someone who cleary doesn’t have The X Factor. Add to that the poor performance of LA and that stupid (although hot) robot they imported from the UK to serve as host and the whole thing was a complete mess.

But people need to realize the show has potential. It is remarkab y fun when they got the right people to be on the panel. I really think they found those with Britney and Demi. I’m pretty sure it will replace American Idol – who is going to be canceled soon – and will eclipse The Voice and have a long run.

• Ally Oop says:

I agree about Cheryl Cole. I liked her in the one episode she was on during the auditions and cannot for the life of me understand why she was dumped for Nicole Scherzzinger who was awful. I mean, Cheryl Cole was so well-liked as a judge in the U.K. version so why wasn’t she given a chance here? I also liked Paula and the groups she mentored and still can’t understand how come the groups got voted off right away–they were my favourites to watch. And I hate Britney the stripper-Barbie can’t-sing-act Spears so not wanting to watch this year. That being said, I’ll probably watch it tonight because there’s nothing on tonight and I don’t yet have any fall shows DVRed to watch. Sigh.

• Greg says:

In Canada we can watch Damages on Netflix… and it goes up on there before it airs in the USA.

11. L says:

Supernatural
    Royal Pains
    Ghost Hunters
    Dirty Jobs Down Under

12. Carrie says:

Cannot wait for X-Factor. Love her or hate her, Britney unscripted is a huge draw and I’m hoping she pulls it off. Come on y’all you know nothing is better than a comeback. TO all those who think she can’t sing and should not judge – Paul Abdul reinvented herself as a judge on Idol and she really does not have a great singing voice – go to Youtube and watch Brit singing on Star Search – girl can belt! Yes, she has made a career of studio trickery and lipsyncing on tour but before the pop music machine got its claws into her she was a very

13. L says:

maybe ill try Guys with Kids…not sure yet. looks eh

14. Stormy says:

The Voice, 2nd hour of X then Guys With Kids.