CBS to Push Sunday Slate Back 30 Minutes on Days of NFL Doubleheaders

CBS is trying out a new play it hopes will ease primetime confusion — and save fans of shows such as The Good Wife and The Mentalist much frustration! — on the days the network hosts NFL doubleheaders.

On Sundays featuring back-to-back afternoon football games, CBS will push back its entire primetime lineup half an hour in the Eastern and Central time zones. That means 60 Minutes will begin at 7:30/6:30c, leading into Big Brother/The Amazing Race at 8:30. The Good Wife follows at 9:30, and the relocated The Mentalist closes the night at 10:30.

Though DVRs and on-screen cable guides will automatically pick up on the shifts, the affected Sundays are as follows: Sept. 16 and 23; Oct. 7 and 21; Nov. 4 and 18; and Dec. 2, 16 and 30. Also to be noted: Primetime start times in Mountain and Pacific time zones will not change.

RELATED | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Good Wife, Mentalist and 45 Other Shows!

The move is in response to doubleheader day overages – which traditionally make it difficult for fans to know exactly when primetime shows will begin – as well as NFL’s recently announced kickoff time change, which pushes everything back 10 minutes more.

It was previously confirmed that The Mentalist, which was at risk of airing at godknowswhen o’clock, will make full episodes available online the next day.

Fans of CBS’ Sunday evening programs can sign up for schedule alerts via email, text and social media at www.cbs.com/eye-lerts.

Comments (16)

• And it probably still won’t be enough to not screw with people’s recordings

Comment by xav – September 11, 2012 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • at least they’re trying…i guess

Comment by Smigglesby – September 11, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still adding an extra hour, just in case.

Comment by TigerNightmare – September 11, 2012 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as The Good Wife’s ratings don’t suffer anymore, I’m more than happy with the decision.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – September 11, 2012 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This was my concern when they moved The Mentalist to Sundays but they’ve been generous with the Good Wife so who knows?

Comment by Nerwen Aldarion – September 11, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last season I ended up not watching my favorite show, Good Wife, at all, because they messed with it so much I finally became invested in something else. They should put some of their better shows on other nights – or stick to half hour sitcoms on Sunday. They have been doing this for years and in the end I think they sabotage their own shows.

Comment by Yo' – September 11, 2012 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last year I had to watch, The Good Wife on Hulu the next day…

Comment by Matthew C – September 12, 2012 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on iwatch2much and commented:
    YES!!! Great news for frustrated CBS fans. I don’t know why they didn’t do this sooner.

Comment by nguber – September 11, 2012 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad I get the Canadian channels where the start times don’t get messed up because CBS does a very good job at doing that. Even with a 30 minute adjustment there will still be prolems

Comment by Christina – September 11, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad I’m Canadian and don’t have to worry about this stuff. But I’m glad CBS is trying to make it easier on their viewers.

Comment by mia – September 11, 2012 05:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this is why I record them in a different room so I can record an extra hour…… half an hour won’t be enough!

Comment by Tammy – September 12, 2012 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will “The Good Wife” be available to watch online?

Comment by Matthew C – September 12, 2012 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is exactly why I stopped watching CBS shows on Sunday nights! Too frustrating!!

Comment by Curly Girly – September 13, 2012 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ll see if it’s enough–I recorded TGW last season, and close to half of the episodes had part of the end cut off. This year I should get all of TGW because I also record The Mentalist, so that show will be the one to suffer if the times are even further shifted. No, I won’t add time, because our space is precious enough once the season gets into full swing. Sometimes shows build up for a few weeks because we only have time to watch the “must-see” shows, and sometimes we end up saving the whole season’s worth of a show and watching it in a couple of sessions during the summer.

Comment by MelindaB – September 14, 2012 06:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you’re still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you’ll know which is right for you

Comment by test – February 9, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • cbs is not broadcasting a game tonite so why i turned on at nine oclock for under the dome and its not there take care of your watchers quite worrying about the other nets

Comment by j.lawson – September 9, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post