Exclusive

Exclusive Grey's Anatomy Photo & Scoop: Get Ready For a 'Sexy and Fun' Meredith and Derek!

The extended forecast for Derek and Meredith calls for record heat with an increased chance of bow-chicka-wow-wow.

Grey’s Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes has famously declared Season 9 the “Year of Romance,” and, as you can see from the following exclusive photo, the show’s central super couple will definitely be among the participants.

RELATED | Exclusive — Grey’s Planning Big, Standalone Meredith/Cristina Episode!

“One of the things I said to the writers was, ‘I want a lot more romantic scenes. I want to see that Derek and Meredith are a happy, sexy couple,’” Rhimes tells TVLine. “They basically settled down in a lot of ways. They are very settled. They’re married, they have a child, and they’re both working. I want to see what that means for them as a couple and how they, against the odds, manage to keep that relationship sexy and fun. So we’re playing with that and it’s been really fun.”

Rhimes and and her fellow scribes aren’t the only ones enjoying the increased intimacy. She notes that the duo’s longtime portrayers, Patrick Dempsey and Ellen Pompeo, are “having a good time with it as well.”

RELATED | Grey’s Spoiler — Somebody’s Getting Married!

Rhimes, meanwhile, is giving the pair a shiny new playground to frolic around in: The empress of Shondaland confirms that Der and Mer will officially take up residence in their years-in-the-making dream house. “We’re spending a lot of money and it’s quite beautiful,” she raves of the ginormous set piece. “Viewers saw a little bit of it last season, and we just sort of expanded on that a little bit.”

Sneak a peek at the happy couple sharing an intimate moment at work in the show’s Sept. 27 opener and then hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. Emma says:

A picture that completely obscures both of Derek’s hands, nice one Shonda ;D

2. Kris says:

Yawn. I find Meredith and Derek the most boring couple on tv. I doubt I’ll even bother tuning in for season 9.

3. Amy says:

You mean season 9, right? :)

4. Chloé says:

Season 8 the “Year of Romance,” ? pfff. Too bad Lexie and Marc are no longer on that show. I have no reasons to watch greys anymore so whatever. :’(

• Midna says:

Feel ya. Well, I mean the show did have a lot more to offer, but the ultimate lovestory of the show is, well, killed off. Year of romance my ass.

• Ewe says:

Amen. Lexy and Marc are the couple WE LOVED the most…. Der and Mer are good, settled and I liked it this way… BUT Lex and Marc not together – and we have year of romance??? Sorry, Shonda is amazing, but this is really stupid and Mer and Der can cuddle in every episode, but I wont be happy at all and you can forget about year of romance :( …. year without best character, year without Lex and Marc togeher…. year that will SUCK!!!

• Baidz says:

Marc is no longer on the show?????

5. Sara says:

Finally! It’s about time we got a bit of romance from these 2 without Cristina popping up in the middle.

• soxfan says:

agreed, Sara & the same can be said for Meredith not trying to keep Cristina from Owen as she has … enough of that – everyone is all grown up & can decide for themselves who they wish or don’t wish to be involved with – married or otherwise ….. looking forward to S9 – 3 more weeks …..

• Liz says:

I SO agree with that! Meredith needs to spend more time with Derek, and I’m glad Shonda FINALLY realized that Derek & Meredith ARE sexy & fun & hot. Look at the first three seasons of Grey’s for God’s sake! But then when they got married, Shonda decided that they shouldn’t have any love scenes ect… whereas Cristina still had some love scenes with Owen even when they got married.
      So FINALLY some Mer & Der sexy & loving time!

6. itsmemartu says:

Shonda keeps saying she’s bringing the fun, love and sexy back like three seasons ago. Hello, you just lost one of the best couples on the show!

• tena says:

I agree it seems like every time they have someone good on there they get rid of them, I’ve been watching this show since it started and It’s getting very boring

• Kirsty says:

Alexandra Caroline ‘Lexie’ said she wanted to move on, so it was her own decision to step down from the show so it’s not up to anyone, shonda herself said it was hard to let her go but she couldnt do anything so stop saying im gonna stop watching just cos Mark and Lexie arent there anymore, cos it’s just plain stupid

• Becca says:

I have no idea why people think someone named Alexandra Caroline plays Lexie but her name is actually Chyler Leigh.

• michelle says:

“Lexie” is short for Alexandra, that’s still her character’s name

• skye says:

Alexandra Caroline “Lexie” Grey is her name on the show. I guess they are confused lol. Her real name is Chyler Leigh.

• Holly03 says:

Wow! I just looked up Alexandra Caroline, I don’t know if you did? But she is a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader she actually looks a lot like her! I think people are getting her confused with Chyler Leigh, even google gets her confused, but Obviously you are correct, the girl who plays Lexi is Chyler Leigh.

• Melody says:

Lexie’s full name on the show is Alexandra Caroline I believe.

• kelly says:

I think Alexandra Caroline must be Lexie’s full name on teh show, not the name of teh actress.

• Ewe says:

If she wanted to move on and step down from the show (which is OK, she has kids, we can understand) – she really had to die??? And Marc will be leaving too – couldnt they just get together and leave Seattle because of (some different season finall – not so stupid and cheesy and best character death)…? I will watch s09, but when she says YEAR OF LOVE — really? No way… :(

• Jennifer says:

People are going to hate me for this, but I think the ending to the Lexie/Mark relationship was perfect. As much as I wanted Lexie and Mark together, I just did not see it happening in anyway, and actually working.

• Monika says:

Sure she could, if she had a valid contract, they could hold her to it and finally close the Lexie – Mark relationship the way we all wanted to :( Frankly, I´d prefer if Derek & Meredith would be the couple that get killed off in the accident – apart from that minor bump about Derek´s Alzheimers clinical trial, nothing has been going on with them since they got together after Addison left the show…

• She DID have a valid contract. Chyler Leigh was still contracted. Shonda Rhimes let her go. I don’t see a problem with her leaving the show. I wouldn’t see a problem with her not staying with Mark. Killing her was stupid.mbut, fine, you want to kill a character for the dramatic effect, that’s great. She could AT LEAST have written her a proper death. Lexie’s death was ridiculous, for an actress that gave five years of her life to that show, and became the best character! I hope that in a couple of years, as her children grow, she gets a kick ass job in a 10 year long procedural and and we’ll see it’s the best thing that ever happened her leaving Grey’s <3

7. Lea says:

OMG, they look so cute. Best spoiler ever. Thank you.

8. Amy says:

Thank you for the scoop Ausiello. It’s awesomeness! Love MerDer and it’s nice to read they will be strong this season. Their storyline has always been one of my favorites and you can tell that Dempsey/Pompeo really love working together (it shows). Love the photo too. So cute.

9. Jenna says:

Can’t wait! I’m more excited for s9 now. Bring on lots of MerDer.

10. Jose says:

r u sure its season 8? I think its season 9 ur talking about michael…..

11. Mark says:

So what she’s saying is that Meredith and Derek’s storyline has run its course and now there’s nothing left but to spin the wheels with random, gooey scenes. I still adore Grey’s, but the time has come to wind things up if Shonda’s brilliant pitch to her writers is “more MerDer smooches!!!!!!! <3 :) :)"

12. Cindy says:

No lexie and Mark. l am out. Don’t care about MerDer any more.

• Jane says:

I AGREE. I’m still fond of MerDer, but Lexie and Mark were my favorites. Getting rid of them gets rid of a lot of the fun.

• Michelle says:

Shonda didn’t just “get rid of” Lexie. CHYLER chose to leave the show. What’s Shonda supposed to do, force her to stay and continue to play the part of Lexie even though she doesn’t want to just so the fans will stop crying? Real life comes before a tv show and people need to respect Chyler’s decision and move on already.

• my favorite couple is Callie and Arizona. Thats where the fun is at.

• nora beard says:

lexie is gone and she is not coming back the actress had two kids with special needs .She left the show to take care of them. thats being a good parent. Yes its sad that she is gone, but she needed to move on. Kate Walsh who play addison on private practice is also gone. These two women are on too bigger and better things. If you want to see lexie and mark so much buy all the seaons on dvd or from itunes

13. Denise says:

I am thankful Meredith will be off with Derek so maybe she will stop being like velcro to Cristina. Other than that, let them have their once a week kiss/sex/hug a baby scene and give some real story to others. How about some scoop on some real storylines that are coming up this season?

• Amy says:

Cristina and Meredith will always be the core couple of Grey’s Anatomy. This is been Shonda Rhimes stance since the first season. If you are looking for either MerDer or Cristina/Owen to somehow find that magical all encompassing romance because one or the other is temporarily out of the picture, you’re heading for a huge disappointment. Just saying…

14. Vivianne says:

Oh Denise. Your bitter Meredith comments always make me laugh. Velcro you say? Well sweetie. Velcro requires 2 parts. I know you have invisible episodes running thru your “brain” as you seem to act and think as if your robot Cris has been programmed to have no free will.

Anyway, sucks to suck and be stuck in that sham of a marriage with Owen and not even be living together. I guess I’d be bitter too!! Can’t wait for happy Merder. They’ve fought hard to get where they are and deserve some happy sexy time after mostly angst and turmoil the last 8 seasons. Hate on haters!!

• Jenna says:

SING IT!!!! ;)

• lvisfrie says:

Oh, Vivianne, sounds like you’re the bitter one. Meredith and Derek suck the life out of one another and always have. So sorry you’re stuck in a sham of an ugly fandom and the ugly, boring relationship that is Meredith and Derek. Cristina has more emotion in her pinky finger than Meredith has ever shown towards anyone in the entire run on the show, including Derek and including her own sister. She also has more humanity than you ever will-and her being a fictional character.

Go enjoy your hate and your one episode of happiness with the most boring, lifeless couple on the show before Shonda breaks her promise and you start whining again because every other character on the show is more interesting than those two. Hate on, hater.

• Angie says:

Someone doubled up on troll meds today Ivisfrie. Pot meet kettle. You attacked Vivian and behaved even worse!

Sad that the Crowen fans had to come and be so nasty. This news wasn’t even about them, which I guess got them riled up. Same for the Calzona fan Ray. I just appreciate Ausiello giving us a good scoop. I can’t wait for the season.

• Denise says:

My comments always make you laugh? Really? Considering this is the second comment I have every made on TVLine that’s pretty funny (and the other wasn’t about Grey’s). You’re so narrow minded you don’t even consider there’s more than 1 person in the world named Denise. Great “brain” you have. And you’re rude and nasty to boot.

15. Sara says:

Funny those who don’t care about MerDer still posting and wasting time reading and actually write a comment LOL.
    Thank you so much Ausiello for such a great scoop on the show central super couple. Hoping for lots of them in every episode!

• Layla says:

Lol, exactly Sara!! Thanks Ausiello for the great news. Keep it coming!!

• Emily says:

Haha! =)

• Gladys says:

WORD!!!! haters are gonna hate but whatever…MERDER are the supercouple and had been since the beginning weather you like it or not! See if your couple will be remembered in 20 yrs as MerDer will be…So yeah, thanks Ausiello for the scoop! now looking forward even more for S9! Bring on the romance (even if in 2 seconds) :P

• Jess says:

oh please stop, Meredith and Derek are not a super couple (This comes from a MerDer fan) Luke/Laura, Holly/Robert Yes. Derek/Meredith? No. So please stop. Super couples don’t exist anymore and haven’t since the late 90′s you know before Grey’s anatomy even happened. it’s been 30 years since Luke/Laura got married, People still care, the actors still talk about them and they are talked about on the show not to mention their wedding brought in 35 million viewers.. lets see in 30 years if anyone even remembers who merder are. The word “Super couple” is thrown around way to easily these days, until Meredith/Derek are going on 20 years as a couple together, and have weathered a storm that should have broken them up. They aren’t even in the ball park of being a super couple. Super couples come from Daytime and really it should stay there since no one on Grey’s even comes close to being a super couple. Mark and Lexie were the closest (a baby between them; apart for 2 years, yet still in love with each other) but even they weren’t close enough to have that title.

• shelly says:

seiriously greys anatomy is a number one rated show i love it best hit ever i love mer and derick and if they were such a bad couple how has this show been number one 9 years running hello dont ruin it for the rest of us keep your mouth shut if you dont like it better yet if your not a fan what the hell are you doing on here anyway
          \

• Amelia says:

Who said I’m not a fan, but calling them a super couple or anyone on a primetime show a super couple is just laughable. I love what use to be Grey’s Anatomy when Meredith and Derek were shown as the lead couple and now barely get 5mins of airtime because Shonda wanting to make a boring Secondary couple leads which no one wants I Don’t care if you think i’m bitching, I’ll continue to do so since this is GREY’s not the Callie and Arizona show. maybe this show needs to go back to what made it so popular in the first place and make Meredith the lead on Screen which she is suppose to be and put Callie and Arizona in the background. I started watching Grey’s Anatomy for MerDer not Calzona. So as a fan of the lead Character’s and couple, I have every right to bitch that Callie, Arizona or anyone else gets more than the two main characters.

16. Layla says:

Im super happy Lexie is gone. Too bad that April chic is still going to be running around like a crazy person though. Bring it on Merder. I just hope Callie an Arizona get some of that “record heat!!” They’re my faves but I do love Merder too. I never ever need see Crowen on my tv again. Wretched awful couple. Each in their own is bad enough but together, epic fail!! Wonder how many episodes till Yang is barging in Merder’s house and into their room. I hope Mer finally kicks her annoying person out!

• Sara says:

I also agree with everything you just said.

• chris says:

agreed but be grateful – at least chris can’t get mer preggers – callie’s disfunctional relationship with her person/mark ended up with us having to live through the epic fail that was CAM

• Ninna says:

Agreed, Crowen are dead after What Shonda made with them. Started with a lot of potential back there in S5 to be a beautiful and different relationship btw a man and a woman, to be totally destroyed in S6,S7,S8. A sad, dysfunctional and diseased couple that should be apart but that Shonda insists in recuperate with lots and lots of ‘romance’ through all the coming Season . What is sad is that there are still people that considers that as Love, longing for that to themselves.
      Now she will put The McCheater with his sad puppy eyes to show how great he is for Cris and everything we saw he saying and doing in S6 and S8 was mere our imagination. And once more we will see she coming back to the’ blondes sniffer’.
      I hope she kicks his cheater ass and get a new love interest. A new one who respects, understand and accepts her as she is and doesn’t go to whores always he can’t twist into what he wants, only to his own gain. Maybe, the new Dr.Parker.
      Ah, and after this season I’m convinced Mer is Cris’s soulmate. Shonda make Cris saying that a man who cheated on her is her soul mate is twisting the concept of soul mate and pretty ofensive to any woman with brains, which is what Cris is supposed to be!

• Shenanigans, I say! says:

I just don’t understand the depth of owen hate. She aborted their baby without giving him any options. That seems as though it should be a legal, criminal offense. He’s spinning in all this emotional hurt, anger and the ultimate betrayal by his supposed partner, and he has a moment. The only thing he did was be a man. Floundering around trying to figure out how to get over his hurt, respect his wife, and maintain sanity at work. He cracked. He broke for a moment with a bar ho. Do I support cheating? No! But I think that aborting someone’s child and saying nyanya you cant do anything about it trumps a one off emotional freak out cheat session by millions of miles. I am pro abortion, and I believe it was C’s choice, but when the father is involved and wants the baby… She just doesn’t have the right to make him suffer the way she did. Channeling her guilt into anger at him. She should have tried to help him through it. Not just scream deal with it and be pissed that he’s broken hearted. And another thing… She’s a doctor. She doesn’t have really good birth control? Really?

• Ninna says:

Shenanigans, I ear you and understand your point. And I believe you being honest when you say you don’t condone cheating. My and many feeling about the character comes first from the fact that it’s not the first time that he slips if we’re talking about other women. Teddy was an example badly handled by him. Beth was another. In what concerns woman we are finding that this man is not trustful.

Second, my vision of the issue, and many that complain from the same, would be the opposite and equals to yours if not for a little detail that makes a huge difference. He was there supporting his baby killing. He agreed to go with her! So, he had no right to accumulating grudges against her. He was there. So, why in the name of the Lord did he use it as an excuse to cheat on his wife??? If he hadn’t been there, believe me he would have my simpathy. Besides that why did he rebel against her in that way? Do you know why bc when man are angry with their wives they’re allowed by the society to go to the skanks. When he is angry with is boss does he go to the skanks either? It makes me sick. Sorry!

When Adison cheated on a husband that had forgotten he had a wife, she was punished and devoted to place of the bad women. Now that Owen cheated, after being confirmed that is not being a catholic guy with women, he had the excuse of having the bad wife. Oh please!

Besides that we all haven’t seen him show any sign of regret or shame after what he did. He kept walking as if nothing went wrong, if he was entitled and she deserved it. He kept treating her like dirt and humiliating her. He even lied to her about what he had been doing in that night. And he only confessed after feeling that he had been caught. For me and many this was very disturbing.
          While Cris, did it to preserve her own identity he did it out of disloyalty to his wife, out of need of hurting her back, mocking her in Joe’s wall??? IN JOE’S WALL?! That place so important to them? Have you notice how Cris broke down in bed crying after that flashback in ep 19?

Oh please and don’t tell me he was drunk, it was only sex and it was only one time. I think we all are adults here.

Third, he knew that she was a free kids woman. He chose to not listen to her as the selfish he is and later when she refused to do what he demanded punished her for she be what she always was.

In ep 15, she was the only one trying. She already had understood his problem and was trying to solve it. He was clearly the one who wasn’t giving a cent for that. What he really wanted it was hurt her back. As soon he found a slut for that purpose, he plunged in it. Now he’s fighting for her. Why??? and probably put in jeopardy her studies again.

Cris needs that ‘blondes sniffer’ as much as pair of shabby socks. That guy is always after a blonde.
          From now on he’ll be the ‘blonde sniffer’.

Oh and by the way what did he do to help her through that time too? Sex?

• chris says:

It’s beyond me why women would want Owen and Christina together. He almost strangled her to death (she should have run for the hills at that point ), he tried to change her to his image of a gf\wife more than once, he is jealous of her friendship with mer, calls her out as a baby killer in public no less (its her body and her decision get a grip buddy ya want a kid so bad find a partner who shares your interest in procreating or shut up and support your wife) and then he gets mad and goes out and cheats on her – I mean really – why the heck would any woman want to be with this guy? There are plenty of decent guys who would worship christina – why does she always end up with jerks?

• I will love you forever Owen says:

I’ll explain you. The guy who plays Owen is considered a very manly attractive guy. So for being a beauty they cannot see one single fault on him. Many people who see this are obsessive and immature. and for how much we try to explain them they don’t want to see. In real life it’s impossible to possess a specimen like that but on tv or youtube the talk is different. ;) If these who defend him so badly had him in real life you’d see how many tears and long rants in mumies’s and bff’s arms…

• chris says:

lol -Never thought of Owen as being attractive but to each his own I guess. Sad to think women would overlook so many faults though and still lust after a guy who has been such an arse to his gf/wife.

17. Florencia says:

I want to see Callie and Arizona!!!

• chris says:

I’d like to see C and A have a season of romance sans the constant presence of mark in the middle of their relationship as well but seems that isn’t going to happen based on spoilers/casting calls/sides. Apparently the only greys doc to come back from an accident/gunshot/brain tumor but NOT make a complete recovery is the lesbian/AZ. There was a casting call for a body double for her who is missing their left leg mid thigh.

18. Roni says:

finally after 5 seasons we get to see the dream house!!! Cause at the end of season 4 she did the “light” house

19. Christina says:

So I guess MerDer are staying in Seattle and living in the dream house. Weren’t they headed to Boston at the end of last season?

• Derek says:

I think that is a very valid question because Derek refused to let Mer pass up the Boston offer, and he himself was offered head of Neuro at Johns Hopkins, if I remember correctly. I am very excited for them because their relationship has been very underscored due to all of the tribulations they have had to face throughout the entire series. I am also wanting to see more of Calzona. I believe they have been the most inspirational couple on the show because of them being an openly gay couple, though I do say that their romance has been slightly over played due to that fact. I’m very interested to see what this season has in store for us!!!!

• Jan says:

Derek was offered Head of neuro at Harvard not John Hopkins. Harvard is in Cambridge just outside of Boston. John Hopkins is in Maryland

• Dark Defender says:

It was Karev that got the job at Johns Hopkins (Baltimore).. Derek at Harvard (Cambridge) and Meredith at Brigham and Women’s in Boston.

20. Jen says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank You! for this MerDer scoop!!! I finally actually have something to be excited about for season 9 now!!For a large majority of the fans of the show, MerDer are our favorite couple, and for many fans such as myself, they are the only reason we watch so it is great to finally get some great scoop about them because they are a couple on the show that the fans actually care about seeing!!!

21. Kel says:

*sigh* The season didn’t even start yet and here we go. MerDer fans being rude and nasty to ANYONE that doesn’t share their opinion. Vivianne, wow, what a troll.

22. cjeffery7 says:

i gotta say, the actors really do have great chemistry. especially now that theyre in it for the long haul they are so much more natural with each other. and theyre probably so comfortable having worked together for nearly 10 years… that’ll do it. go MerDer!!

• Angie says:

Well said!! They’ve always been so supportive of the fans and fought for decent storylines (even though their efforts didn’t always pay off hahah) but they’re a true joy to watch!

23. MDFTW says:

Yay, thank you for this wonderful MerDer scoop! MerDer has the best chemistry so to see them using it will be awesome!!! Can’t wait to see them in the dreamhouse too!

24. Dawn says:

Wow. Some of you are just ridiculous and need to get a life. Watch it or don’t watch it. Turn the freaking channel. CHOICES!!!

25. ray says:

When are we finally going to see some sexy Calzona?? Seen enough of Meredith and Derek and their unsexy little pecks.

• chris says:

lol – um never. They always find a way to play C/A sexie scenes for laughs via interrutions or keep them apart via accidents or fights. This season my money is on AZ passing or getting a leg hacked off – kind of taking the excuse for no g/g sexie times to the extreme but then this is disney right

• Katie says:

No, don’t you dare blame this on Disney. ABC/Disney is the most gay-friendly company out there. Just off the top of my head, with absolutely no research at all, ABC had Brothers and Sisters (a main character was gay), Ugly Betty (a main character was gay), it has Revenge (a main character is bi), Happy Endings (a main charcter is gay), Modern Family (a gay couple are main characters) it has Grey’s (Calz), ABC Family has Pretty Little Liars (a main character is gay – and female, btw), Make It or Break It, Secret Life. Not to mention that Disney has days at the Parks specifically designed to promote Pride for the Gay Community.

• chris says:

lol – not saying that Disney doesn’t have gay/lesbian characters on its show, just that they portray them as neutered. You see M/D, C/O, Mark/Callie, Mark/Lexie, Mark/whoever, Alex/whoever, Jackson/April, chief/jacksons mom (oh my eyes!) etc etc all rocking the bedsprings uninterupted by giggles or someone walking in on them but you NEVER see C/A having intimate relations! The scenes are played for laughs and giggles. Heck callie tells Az she wants to take her away for a sexie weekend and all she gets is a kiss on the cheek! sort of like modern familys gay couple never kissing.

26. Tia says:

Such an adorable photo and great spoiler! S9 sounds so good.

27. Annoyed says:

It’s a SHOW! Get a life everyone…

• Ninna says:

For someone who only do deep and meaningful things in life, you wasted a lot of time reading all this stuff until this point and admonish us just to show how little we all are. You must be such an intelligent person…we all can tell, we can’t even compare to you!!! uh uh uh! Scientific mind!

28. Kris says:

Everywhere you go you get nasty comments, if you dont have something nice to say why dont you stop reading about Greys? I for one LOVE Greys and I dont like reading comments from people who dont, the people that post nasty comments are the people who need to get a life, grow up, and stop trying to cause Drama!!! Seriously its television, you either like the show or change the channel, not that hard to comprehend.

29. lisa c says:

it was lexies and marcs choice to leave the show so sondra had no control over that

• Michelle says:

THANK YOU! Finally someone who understands that. I’ve seen so much hate and anger aimed at Shonda this summer because people blame her for “writing off Mark and Lexie.” It was their decision to leave the show, no one forced them to go. People need to get over it and stop taking a tv show so seriously. I love Grey’s and hate to see their characters leave, but these people are just actors and they do have lives outside of Seattle Grace Hospital!

• Amelia says:

What about the fact that she knew Chyler was going to leave in the beginning of the season and yet she didn’t give them proper closure. why are some hell bent on kissing ass? SR had 4 seasons to write ML but we got excuse after excuse and anything and everything to break them up. I bet you would feel different if it was your couple that was put through the ringer for 4 years without any payoff. If you think Chyler or Eric left willingly, i’m sorry for you because they didn’t.

• Ninna says:

So, she kept treating Lexmar fans like retards during 4 years, lulling them all the time, promising things she perfectly knew she wasn’t going to do and they must show the respect she doesn’t show for any fan and at the end thank her??? Sorry, but I must go there to laugh!

Any person who makes a retrospective of the show in recent years realizes perfectly well that Shonda already knew the story was not going anywhere. There has been a latent problem for years. And who believes that the CL left a prime time show which gave her good bucks and visibility because of her babies, is seriously delusional.

• Liz says:

If you actually took the time to read, you’d realize that the fans aren’t mad that Chyler and Eric decided to leave.

They’re furious because yet another character is being written off in a dramatic, unrealistic fashion. (Seattle Grace Mercy Death anyone?)

Now Kim Raver’s exit–that was a good way to go. No one was maimed. No one died. No one was in some random freak accident that had no chance of happening. If Lexie had decided to transfer her residency back to Boston to be with Meredith–yeah, that would have been satisfactory.

30. Sandra says:

I love the show and am glad to see that we can expect Merideth and Derek to have some happiness. There’s enough medical drama to keep the show interesting without them having more drama! (besides, who doesn’t like romantic happy endings in our fantasy world?)

31. shelby says:

i lost interest after george and izzie left

32. yai says:

Lexie and mark gone..dont care about season 9..der and mer are boring

33. ray says:

Ya, ok, that’s great. What about the other couples…You know, like Callie and Arizona

34. Indiana says:

I thought Patrick Dempsey said he was NOT coming back to Grey’s. What’s up?

35. Sam says:

Whats so crazy is the show is Greys Anatomy so if you dont care about Meridith then you dont need to watch cause the shows mainly about her. Meridith GREY. However I hated they killed off Lexi and then Mark left. That was one couple that needed to be together.

• Ana says:

Not everyone watches because of Mer. I started watching in Season 4 and right off the bat I just thought it was an ensemble show and that’s what I liked about it. I liked the dynamics and the fact that there were so many interesting characters. To me, Mer was just another intern.

• Ninna says:

The show is not mainly about her since…virtually almost the beginning. The success of the show is due to the cast they gathered at the beginning. The actress though is a nice girl, is a tiny person with weak presence on the screen, and weak perform abilities. In fact, the main reason I never bonded with the character was bc she never could translate to the screen the grandiosity of it. And that’s way I could more easily attach to Cris which was supposed to be a supporting character. SO could translate that to us. She ended stealing EP ‘s protagonism.
      EP had the terrible luck of being badly chosen to head a show for which she hasn’t the profile, but had characters and other actors that fell in public’s taste and she simply got the most of it. That was the luck of her life and of the millennium.

36. desiree says:

Can’t wait best show since ER

37. Becky says:

Most people don’t seem too thrilled with Meredith and Derek. I, for one, think that they are one of the best couples on TV. If you don’t like them, don’t tune in for this season.

More importantly though, I’m so glad that the original interns have finally graduated to the navy blue scrubs. They’ve come a long way in 8 years. :)

38. Autumn says:

I’m totally a MerDer fan, and I think they’re good together. What disappoints me is taking away any chance Mark and Lexi had of rekindling their relationship. So sad :(

39. Amber says:

I’m devastated that Mark and Lexi are gone. They were the most fun couple. Even my husband was bummed they’re gone. I’m psyched that MerDer is going strong though. At the end of the day, people really do want a happily ever after!

40. Bree says:

I bet you lexlie lives and we all didnt see coming lol

• Angie says:

Sadly, no. Chyler Leigh herself made a statement at end of last season. She chose not to return because she wanted to spend more time with her family. She has 3 young children. Lexie will be missed. She and Mer were fun to watch.

• Michelle says:

Chyler Leigh didn’t want to do Grey’s anymore. So unless they’re planning on having another actress take over the part of Lexie Grey, there’s no way Lexie will suddenly be alive in S9.

41. Charm says:

Can’t wait for S9!!! Was so sad from the last episode… wondering what happens next… :’(

42. julie says:

I’m SO ready for grey’s to come back. Been waiting a while now!!!

43. nicole says:

I love mer and derek together ! I love greys and it sounds like an amazing season I’m so excited!

44. Ambrosia says:

I agree, I will not be watching without Mark & Lexi. Mark was the comedic relief on this night time soap opera.

45. Ellie says:

Yayyyy can’t wait to see it! I love it when MerDer are stable and happy, and have always hated CrOwen. Can’t wait to see the dream house too, so exciting! I am still so heartbroken about Lexie and Mark though :’( ps the people that argue on here are pretty pathetic haha!

46. Vanessa zobell says:

You guys are so rude. MerDer are not boring. Your obviously not even greys anatomy fans if you think that. Thy have gone through soo much and now they’re finally a stable couple. Do not comment here if you are just going to be mean to the actors and shonda about the show. It’s still amazing to me and I look always forward to Thursdays. I hope this show continues for a long time no matter who dies or goes off the show I am a committed fan.

47. Ahmed says:

I just noticed that Mer is wearing dark-blue scrubs! So excited to see the former interns as attendings!

48. Cassie says:

Yay!! I sure can’t wait for the season to start. I absolutely LOVE Greys Anatomy. Have been watching it since the very beginning & will keep watching it till the end. I can’t wait to see MerDer!!! :-)

49. Ruscal says:

Cannot wait for S9! Marked Sept 27th.. :)
    Wish and hope more of Callie & Arizona/Torress! :)

50. How appropriate—the “Season of Romance” right after a horrific plane crash that killed Lexi Grey. Fantastic. I might have to stop watching this show for killing off Lexi. Should of put Hunt in Lexi’s place.