Fall TV Preview: Bones Bosses Share 10 Season 8 Scoops, Including the Arrival of Booth's Mom!

Bones exec producers Hart Hanson and Stephen Nathan — a.k.a. Team Hathan — took time away from plotting their next grisly death to chat with reporters about the show’s upcoming eighth season (premiering Monday, Sept. 17 at 8/7c).

Herewith are the 10 scoopiest highlights from the call.

1. Pelant is “going to be around all season,” confirmed Nathan of the Big Bad who is currently framing Brennan for murder. “We love this guy. He’s the most interesting multiple murderer that we’ve ever had on the show. He’s going to color Season 8 a bit. No one’s going to be able to rest easy in Season 8.”

PHOTO | First Look at Booth and Brennan’s Sexually Suggestive Reunion!

2. The twist at the end of the premiere will both temporarily conclude “the [Pelant] story” and “raise another question,” teased Nathan. “But Pelant is not going away.”

3. David Boreanaz and Emily Deschanel “are currently negotiating through at least season 9,” says Nathan. “We’re pretty confident they will come to some agreement.”

4. The revolving “gang of interns” will continue to come in and out this season, said Nathan. Added Hanson: “Also, we will be meeting new interns this season, and revisiting interns we don’t see as much as we want to.”

PHOTOS | Bones Spoiler — Brennan’s Already Back at [Spoiler]!

5. “We’re very interested in meeting Booth’s mom in the back [half of the season] and having Booth’s mom meet Brennan,” previewed Nathan. “It’s time to see Booth’s family a little bit.”

6. Cam’s mysterious new love interest will be unmasked in Episode 5, titled “Crime Scene Clean-Up.” “It’s someone fans will recognize,” said Nathan, confirming TVLine’s early scoop that her boyfriend will be a familiar face. “If we’re good, they didn’t see it coming.”

7. Episode 2 finds Booth and Brennan addressing the toll the three-month separation has taken on their relationship.

8. A never-before-seen sibling of Hodgins’ may put in an appearance later in the season.

9. “There might be [a Booth/Brennan wedding],” hedged Nathan, before adding with a laugh. “It’s only Season 8. We’re just beginning.”

10. This season’s landmark 150th episode is a “weird episode,” said Hanson. “It’s going to be an episode where we see everything from the POV of the victim. It’s been very tricky. We needed a very heart-tugging story, so the person whose death we are solving is an actual character. It’s a boy. It’s not a funny episode. It’s an oustsider’s view of our team at work.”

1. I’m wondering who the victim is going to be. I hope the cases are very interesting! Season 7 was all about Booth and Brennan, because of lack of episodes, I’m ready for some great, heart-wrenching cases!

2. madbengalsfan85 says:

Wedding!!!! HOT DAMN!!!!

3. Danni says:

I want Vincent Back!!!!!!!!!!

4. Alichat says:

I thought Hodgins was an only child??

• Ros says:

That’s what I thought, too…. only child AND sole heir to the Cantilever Group.

• Lorena says:

Maybe an old girlfriend or fiance, or some friend, maybe is Hodgins’ father in law

• Maybe he has a sibling who was disowned? Didn’t want anything to do with the family’s business? A totally wild-hearted, free-spirited sister who’s traveling the world and is a lot like Angela? (that’d be cool!), a siblings who’s commited to a mental institution? So many options!

• Khoffman says:

In the first few seasons they do a security check on everyone and hodgins gets pissed off cause his brother is high up in politics so they don’t bother checking him. He says he’s an idiot… So it’ll be interesting to see what his character is like!

5. Tracy Sims says:

As to 8. Hodgins’ brother will put in an appearance later in the season. how do they explain this. He had commented that he is the sole heir to the fictional private corporation known as the Cantilever Group. As far as i know never mentioned a brother.. ever?

• madbengalsfan85 says:

So Hodgins has an illegitimate brother, who may be another heir to Cantilever Group…can’t imagine he’ll be happy

• Perhaps Hodgins’ half brother is on the female side and so wouldn’t be the heir to the Cantilever Groups as that is his father’s family. Pretty easy to do in this age of divorces and half-siblings.

6. Cyndie says:

Maybe Hodgins’ brother has been disowned??

7. Tina says:

I remember Booth saying in season three in the finger in the nest episode that his mother had passed away. That’s why pop’s raised him so if she is alive I want them to at least be consistant and maybe explain why she is all of a sudden alive. I love this show, but sometimes I think I know more about past episodes then Hanson does or maybe he just thinks fans are not that invested to notice when he just changes his mind in season 8.

• Marcie says:

In this Netflix, etc. age, writers have to be really consistent.

• This is fiction not a presidential debate. What difference does it make if Hodgins has a sibling? Certainly an inconsistency which effected the greater theme would be problematic but don’t sweat the small stuff. Just enjoy the show.

• Lisa says:

Brennan was the one talking about the dead neighbor lady. We’ve never been told what happened to Booth’s mom for certain.

• Tina says:

She did mention a dead neighbor of hers, but Booth was speaking to sweets about if Parker was damaged and needed to be shrinked and Sweets mentioned Parkers grandmother going to heaven, to which Booth replied, she did. While he has never come out and said to any of the squints that his mother was dead, he did in this episode to Sweets.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

Perhaps he explained it that way because to Booth, she might as well be dead. By the sounds of things, she ran off and disappeared and rather than explain that to Parker, he just says she’s dead. My mom ran off, and I’ve been telling people for years than she’s dead, because it’s easier than giving my life story and she might as well be dead

• Lisa says:

I took that to mean Booth’s grandmother in that instance. They have never said for certain that she’s dead, but I’ve always thought she was.

I find it too hard to believe with all Brennan’s talk about being abandoned that Booth would never once mention that his mother had run out on him as well.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

Booth is a very private person….we didn’t know Booth’s father was abusive until Jared showed up in s4, makes sense he wouldn’t share details about his mother. Besides, mentioning his parents failures would make Brennan less amenable to making peace with Max, which Booth tried/ is trying to do

• FireFerret says:

Yeah. This show has had problems with being consistent in the past. Remember how in the season 1 episode, the Boy in the Bush, Brennan said how her grandfather got her out of foster care, but then in the season 2 finale, Stargazer in the Puddle, Brennan says that her parents told her and Russ that they didn’t have grandparents…

So, yeah. This show has a bit of a continuity problem, among others. However, I don’t think they ever addressed what happened to Booth’s mom. In the example that you point out, its Sweets who pulls out the “grandmother” example, which he uses as a segue to explain what we tell children about dead loved ones. I always saw Booth saying “she did” more so as him stating that he believes in heaven and that loved ones go there after they die. He was agreeing that the HYPOTHETICAL grandmother would go to heaven upon dying. He wasn’t saying that his own mother died and went to heaven.

• FireFerret says:

Oh, by the way, Finger in the Nest was in season 4, not season 3.

• Lisa says:

It aired in Season IV, but was written as a Season III episode that didn’t air due to the writers strike. It’s also included on the Season III DVD’s.

• Jill says:

for all we know it could be Parker’s grandmother on his mom’s side not Booth’s mom

8. Tricia says:

Has no one really ever heard of “disinheriting?” Why does the question of “How are they going to explain Hodgins being the sole heir?” keep coming up?

New intern(s)? I hope they’ll be one-offs like Dr. Filmore and The Science Dude, the cast is pretty big as it is (bigger casts = more money = harder renewal).

• Lisa says:

Hodgins originally said that his family owned the Cantilever group and he was the last one left. That’s why people think he had no other family.

9. Sarah says:

Personally, “7” worries me a bit.

• Rachel says:

Doesn’t worry me. If it’s anything serious it will be glossed over and swept under a rug, and then will never be brought up again.

10. Tracy Sims says:

now its changed to Hodgins “spoiler” … maybe it was a typo. some random relative maybe.

11. Dorothy says:

DB is negotiating a Season 9????? has anybody told him about this yet? He seems more than ready to move on.

12. asd25 says:

My guess is that Cam will hook up with one of Brennan’s ex-boyfriends. We get to see jealous Booth :)

13. Jasper says:

Please don’t look for consistancy in this show. Please. just stop now.
    The best shot to have emotional buy in with the fans and Booth’s family was with his father, who they could/ would not cast-or pay for an appearance. The bigger picture here is that of the lack of creative thought by the show runners. The current characters have way too many unresloved relationship problems now. If they can’t come up with 24 episodes of great material for the current problems now, why pollute the show air more?

The word ‘Floundering’ comes to mind.

14. Tanjerine says:

I do not understand why they did not start this Pelant storyline when Emily needed to be off for her maternity leave. It would have allowed for more episodes to give us a complete season as well as a compelling story to follow!

• I totally agree. If we were going to have Brennen on the lam anyway why not make it interesting and fill out a full length season with them scrambling to function without her. Then it could make it more interesting when she does come back to see who was able to cope without her and who couldn’t and add the dynamic of shaking Brennen’s monstrously huge self confidence that she is irreplaceable.

• madbengalsfan85 says:

Because without Brennan and Booth working together, there is no show

• In general I agree with you but if the choice is between a severely shortened season and 3 or 4 episodes with an awesome plot device but no Brennen, I’d pick the latter.

• Rita says:

No Bones, No Bones! It could have never been approved by the network. Also, how could they have written 4-5 episodes only focusing on Pelant?That’s not what the show is about. Plus, there’s a whole lot more going on behind the scenes. I think the hiatus was the only solution.

15. Danielle says:

They said ep 150 was going to be told from the victims point of view. Earlier this summer they said on of the ‘bonus’ eps were shot from the victims point of view. And that the story line for these eps did not have a continuous arc. Hmmmm, sounds like they want to use one of those bonus eps for the big 150. Kinda disappointing. I was looking forward to a more personal ep like previous years!! Either way, this is the best show on TV.

16. adrienne says:

What about Brennan’s two aunts?

17. I’m looking forward to the 150th episode. Sounds interesting. Crime shows rarely show the murder from the point of view of the victim (I know there was one episode of CSI where three victims were telling each other how they died but I’m not sure about other shows) so I’m looking forward to this.

I do love it when we learn more about the personal lives/backstories of the characters so I can’t wait for the stories on Cam, Booth, and Hodgins.

A Booth/Brennan WEDDING?!? I think you just killed whatever was left of me that after all the Castle/Caskett goodness I’ve seen over the past week :-/

18. Rachel says:

I can maybe buy a Hodgins sibling crawling out of the woodwork if it’s an illegitimate heir, but the Booth’s mother thing has me raising my BS flag big time. How far is the retconning going to go? Will Christine Brennan be brought back from the dead in S9? Come on, guys.

SN and HH need to read the “What the F*** Is Happening Here?” entry on showrunner Ken Levine’s blog today – “I applaud that showrunners are trying to tell ambitious intricate stories, but there is a real danger that you can overdo it. The trap writing staffs fall into is that they discuss these stories for days and weeks. So it’s not confusing to them (hopefully). They try their best to lay in the exposition. And on paper it all makes sense. The problem is they’re too close to it. The viewer is coming at it fresh. The scenes and explanations fly by so fast nothing lands. And if the viewers are baffled they eventually go away.”

19. Debbie England says:

1970 movie “Love Story” staring Ryan O’neal and Ali McGraw~there’s a thought for you Mr Hanson for casting Booth’s mother. Booth, Brennan, Max and Booth’s mother (?) says to everyone “LOVE MEANS NEVER HAVING TO SAY YOUR SORRY” the best line in the movie, Just throwin’ it out there!

20. i bet cam’s new love intrest is booth’s brother, jared

21. kat newkirk says:

cam’s new love is haeaold perrineau(sp?) from lost? he was her baby daddy ohn lost… these two actors made a good couple back then they’d be good again.

22. Ashley says:

I wonder if they’re going to re-explore the Zack plotline??? (: Gosh, I hope so!!

23. rasoa says:

May be late but hey !
    Saw the season premiere and the twist was great, really made me wanna know what’going on next.
    But, I do think I know who’s the new Cam’s love interest… My guess is Clark. Just because.

24. Donna says:

No Angie /Hodgen”s — I’m not watching anymore! How about a story about an actual happening in the ARMY. I’ve got pleanty of them! I am sick of TV show’s airing and getting used to them then first they are off the air for 6 months, then they come back with evrything completely different. If I wanted different with every show I would watch NCIS!

25. Fahrenheit Leilain Dewi Pangemanan says:

I would like to see B&B’s wedding…….don’t ever ever separate them, shouldn’t be any sadness again between them it’s should be only LOVE, HAPPINESS, LAUGHTER and a DANCE…….It would be nice though to see Hanna again specially at the wedding……

26. adriana says:

id like to see hanna come back into the show at some stage. maybe to test booths faithfulness to brennan before the wedding,see how strong their marriage will be or maybe she could have a liason with max.it could happen

27. Lissy says:

I wish Cam could get together with Angela’s ex-husband, Grayson Barasa. They were cute together…

28. Cely says:

Common guys and dolls it’s a crime comedy drama. Bones is just a TV show that we all happened to love and follow. I agree at times the story does not make sense but about Booth’s mother being alive no big deal, it’s going to be more interesting. I actually concluded that the reason why Bones reached Season 8 is that instead dof just murder and characters perform episode by episode, the creators decided to intertwined the characters roles to their private lives i.e Bones and Brennan finally getting together, and how humans really they are instead of just Snipers and agents, geeks very smart people who solve crimes and catch bad guys.

29. He faked his mother’s death so she could get away from their abusive father!!! As far as I know he does not mention his Mother and did say she died so I believe his big secret is he faked his Mother’s death and hid her from Parker and everyone else until his father died in prison!! He had to not let anyone know for her safety and the lies are just too much.

30. stephanie says:

We are aware that his name is Jack Hodgins… that his child has the same last name.. and they’re probably NOT talking about Jack’s sibling, but rather a new baby?

31. boneshater says:

I hope Brennan died in the end of the season (8) !!! She’s gonna die ????? Please asnwer and say YES !!!! I want so bad that she died