TVLine Items: Whitney's Loss Is 30 Rock's Gain, Arrested Development Revival Update and More

Maulik Pancholy Whitney 30 RockMaulik Pancholy won’t be a part of Whitney‘s world in Season 2 — but fret not, because he’s headed back to 30 Rock.

The actor — who was a series regular during the Whitney Cummings comedy’s freshman run — is set to reprise his role as Jack Donaghy’s ever-doting assistant Jonathan in 30 Rock‘s upcoming seventh and final season. He’ll first appear in the Thursday, Oct. 4 premiere.

As for Pancholy’s Whitney exit, Cummings tells TV Guide Magazine (who first reported the news), “Creatively the show is going more into a direction of Mad About You with these two central characters and their relationship, and it’s less of an ensemble show.”

The comedienne adds that “it’s hard to keep him integrated into the group” after his character came out as gay and broke up with Lily (series regular Zoe Lister Jones) near the end of Season 1.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Will Arrested Development‘s revival season actually be longer than the originally ordered 10 episodes? According to star David Cross, that’s a very real possibility. “I think it’s going to be 13 episodes, not 10,” the actor behind analrapist Tobias Funke tells Rolling Stone. “There’s too much story. Some characters will have two-parters. Everybody sort of participates, sometimes in a bigger way and sometimes in a tiny little thread that goes through everybody else’s stories.” An Arrested source declined to offer an exact episode number when prodded by TVLine, but tells us that there will be “at least” 10 installments. Meanwhile, HuffPost TV has confirmed that Arrested Development‘s fourth season will debut on Netflix in spring 2013.

RELATED | Arrested Development Exclusive: Mad Men‘s John Slattery Joins Season 4

• Bob Costas will play himself in an upcoming episode of NBC’s new comedy Go On. Per EW.com, the veteran sportscaster approaches Matthew Perry’s Ryan with a life-changing opportunity.

• All My Children alum Brittany Allen has booked a recurring role in Syfy’s upcoming series Defiance. Set in a dystopian future, the drama finds humans and aliens coexisting on a war-ravaged Earth that has been transformed by terra-forming machines. She’ll play a troubled employee of Mia Kirshner’s town madam. Grant Bowler, Julie Benz and Jaime Murray also will star.

RELATED | Warehouse 13: Photos of Lindsay Wagner’s Wild Date With Artie

• First Lady Michelle Obama will make another appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman on Wednesday, Aug. 29.

• Spike TV will air a tribute to funnyman Eddie Murphy on Nov. 16, Deadline reports. The special is timed to the 30-year anniversary of his now famous stand-up special Delirious! and the film 48 Hrs.

• FX will air its its ill-fated drama pilot Outlaw Country this Friday, nearly a year after the network passed on the project. The family thriller — which is about Nashville organized crime — stars Luke Grimes, Haley Bennett, Mary Steenburgen and John Hawkes.

• Fox has purchased a comedy starring former Disney starlets Aly and AJ Michalka. Per Deadline, the project centers on heightened versions of the sisters, whose lives are interrupted when their mom moves in.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Mina says:

To the nuts!

I know this AD quote doesn’t really apply but once I’ve posted this comment, the page will have been overtaken by all the obviously applicable ones. Can’t wait

2. Britta Unfiltered says:

John Hawkes did a TV pilot and it didn’t get picked up???? Oh, now I’m depressed. I miss my Sol Star. I would love to see him on TV again for more than just one episode of something. Maybe he should go be on Hell on Wheels, he seems to have good luck with Westerns. By the way, I’m liking Hell on Wheels much better season 2. I recommend to people who gave up on it season 1 to give it another try this season. Common is incredible on it. Anyway, that’s my little unrelated plug.

3. Mikaylah says:

It’s a bummer than Neal won’t be apart of Season 2, but Whitney’s right, he doesn’t really fit anymore. I’d be okay with Lily having a decreased roll as well. I love Mark and Roxanne though, so hopefully they stick around.

• Eli says:

Yeah, his whole sudden gay turn was stupid and ridiculous to begin with. I do like the “mad about you” turn for the show, it does seem fitting strangely enough (just with slightly less jewishness)

• Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

Glad I’m not the only one who thought the “I’m Gay” revelation was stupid and poorly written.

4. Eric Bertrand says:

David Cross…the actor behind analrapist Tobias Funke

Uhh, that should read “nevernude” surely.

5. Cana says:

13 episodes of arrested Development instead of 10. Amazing news.

6. Ben says:

Could Whitney seem more unappreciative of his time with the show? Even the traditionally phony ” we loved having him and wish him well” would have been better.

7. matthew c says:

it’s hard to keep him integrated into the group” after his character came out as gay and broke up with Lily (series regular Zoe Lister Jones) near the end of Season”— Yeah Whitney you know because after coming out gay people have nothing interesting about them at all and cannot interact with their friends at all. Clearly she just isn’t interested in writing for a gay character. Disgusting. I hope he finds a better job after “30 Rock” ends and never has to look back at this stupid show again.

8. mia says:

WHAT?!? His coming out and the way the show handled that was one of the strongest elements of the show. A gay man of colour on tv in a context where sexuality is considered a spectrum?!? That is never mentioned ever! It was a brilliant story arch and I’m sad to see it go.
    That said, I do think the show might function better as a non-ensemble show.

9. virginrocks says:

I’m so upset that Neal is being written off “Whitney”. His coming out was the best thing about the show. She’s right about one thing – it’s not an ensemble show, Maulik Pancholy is the star! So give him a spinoff and let the rest of the cast get cancelled, because that’s what’s going to happen, because I certainly won’t be watching. This is a boneheaded and anti-gay move by NBC and the Whitney writers. #SaveNeal

10. Ella says:

Yay! LOVE Jonathan on 30 Rock :)

11. Sarabi says:

YAY for Arrested Development!

12. V says:

I watched Outlaw Country and I actually liked it….it would have been described as the love child of Justified and Sons. :( Now I’m depressed because we will never know what happened. Why did they leave us we a cliffhanger in the first place?!