Big Bang's Mayim Bialik on Accident Aftermath: 'Amy Won't Be Playing the Harp for Some Time'

Mayim Bialik AccidentMayim Bialik came away from her Aug. 15 car accident with a “very impaired right hand” and is currently sporting a cast that extends to almost her elbow, but The Big Bang Theory‘s Amy Farrah Fowler should appear to be fit as a fiddle when the show opens Season 6 on Sept. 27. Just don’t ask her to bust out the harp.

“Mark Cendrowski is an amazing director, so it’s not going to be obvious. We’re going to work around it,” the Emmy-nominated actress told us Monday at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences’ Performers Peer Group Reception in Los Angeles. “As long as you don’t see me walking and swinging my arm awkwardly, we’re making it work.”

RELATED | Big Bang Theory @ Comic-Con: New Romance, Unsolved Mystery and An Out-of-This-World Treat

That said, Bialik does doubt you’ll see Sheldon’s sweetheart sidling up to her favorite instrument any time soon. “I will not be playing the harp for some time,” she says. “[One of the worst things] is not having the dexterity, and one of the reasons I went back to work was to give our writers the opportunity to see what it looked like, to see how I moved and see what we’d need to work on.

“At some point it may have more movement,” she continued, “but at this point it doesn’t, so we can’t make it look like I’m disco dancing. “

RELATED | Emmys Poll: Mayim Bialik Leads TVLine Reader Vote for Supporting Comedy Actress

Bialik shared on her blog that she “didn’t tear any artery, nerve or tendons” in her right hand, and as such the injury “could have been so much worse.”

The automobile accident Bialik was involved in came as she headed to meet her husband and children for lunch. “Well, I never made it to lunch,” she told us with a laugh, “but I made it to the Cedars Sinai emergency room.” (With reporting by Meg Masters)

1. Marcie says:

Hope it heals perfectly. Good luck!

• Rafael de Haan says:

What a foolish remark! Do you really turning it down to her own fault? Was you there? Any idea why they call it an accident?

2. Chuck Finley (AJ) says:

That sucks. Hope she gets better soon. And lesson learned, never tighten your grip down and tense up against the steering wheel if you see you are going to hit something. Besides the airbag tearing your arms up you can break both your wrists. See injuries like this from car wrecks all the time at work. It’s almost an instinct to do that.

3. Kate Garner says:

Best to you Mayim! Speedy recovery!

4. Ace says:

She has such a great attitude about this. Classy lady. Hope she’s back to 100% soon. (-:

5. jwahl22222 says:

Get Well Soon Doll! We TBBT fans love ya!

6. Kitty S. says:

Big whoop about her “professionalism” – Mayim Bialik has foregone her core human values for this sitcom, everything she was born and raised to believe in, so what makes you think a mere arm cast will keep her off set NOW? (Forget about the staunch feminism she USED TO share with her mother. As long as she’s a celebrity playing a sex-starved female character who values Penny’s beauty over Amy’s PhD now, right?) Through much more serious leg traumas and painful family tragedies, TBBT cast has always been a trooper, for no other reason than professionalism. Mayim has more important ego-driven reasons banking on showing up for work.

• uncle joe mccarthy says:

ya, like keeping her health insurance.

you are one sick broad…buy some more cats

• Olga says:

really? \”foregone her core human values for this sitcom, everything she was born and raised to believe in?\” *rolleyes* SHE PLAYS A CHARACTER FOR HEAVEN\’S SAKE! you talk like she goes around killing puppies or something. Please, get over yourself!
      SO, when everyone else has problems, they work because they\’re \”professional\” but when she does it is \”because of her ego\” ohh puhleeze…. hypocrit much? bitter much?

bitches be crazy on the internet, don\’t they?

Get over it, she\’s on the show, and she\’s staying. I\’m so sick of reading hateful and snarky comments against her, just because of her character, or because of jealousy or whateaver. You don\’t like the character, fine, you don\’t like the show anymore, fine, but really? attacking the actress personally without even knowing her? P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C

• Kara Blankenship says:

who says i don’t know her? oh, and if YOU only did.

• LeT TherE Be LiGht says:

Actually, I personally LIKE the character, but NOT the actress. Mayim has no range except to be over the top all the friggin’ time, and her cardboard acting is a huge off. Amy is annoying, yes, but the character will be more tolerable with another actress who’s say, charming at least. And let’s face it, pretty. Fact is, since time immemorial, TV has always been and will always be, a visual medium, and Mayim looks old enough to be boyishly handsome Jim Parsons’s aunt that it’s so painful to watch them together!

• Lauren W says:

And it’s keyboard warriors like you who attack and judge people like Mayim, and other celebrities, who make it hard for them to relate with their public. What do you know of her life, her so-called ‘ego’ and why she chooses one role over another (or to work at all)? I follow Mayim on Facebook and she recently withdrew from the social media and stopped posting because of her hurt and sadness that people like you feel the need to make negative comment about her and her life.

I love TBBT, she plays a fantastic character who adds so much to the show just by being there. She is a talented actress, author and a great role model for so many women out there. But above-all, she is a human being, and as such, deserves to be treated with respect. If you wouldn’t say this to her face (and I bet you wouldn’t) then don’t make cowardly, disrespectful remarks from behind your computer screen.

• Kara Blankenship says:

also “advocating” the vegan lifestyle while taking on the role of a scientist who uses test monkeys. and finds it funny when they die in her lab, too. disgusting. she wouldn’t be a hypocrite so much if she wasnt a vocal advocate of these values, but as she is, then that’s just not having integrity at all for what you believe in. actors ALWAYS have a choice to turn down a role, and a lot of them have, in fact, for their principles.but nooo, not mayim who’s enjoying all this narcissistic attention. the patronizing woman also has her fans fooled with her false humility crap. oh, if they only knew…

• lwylie7 says:

Who made the rule that the role you play must directly reflect your own lifestyle and values?? Goodness me, I don’t believe for a second that Sir Anthony Hopkins is a serial killer, yet he played one in a movie. I don’t believe that Tom Cruise is a fighter pilot, yet he played one in a movie. I don’t believe that Sarah Michelle Gellar is a vampire slayer, yet she played one on TV. That’s why it’s called ‘acting’! You ‘act’ a part, yes you’re getting paid for it, but I don’t think many actors would do it if it weren’t for the love.

I don’t think Mayim does it for the $$, how many roles have you seen her in over the past 15 years? I would bet she does it for the opportunity, and the experience. Clearly she doesn’t have an issue with Amy’s character. And really, her opinion on what she does is the only one that matters.

• Kara Blankenship says:

simon helberg isn’t a skeevy toolbag as well, but he plays one on tv. jim parsons and sheldon cooper play for different teams. not to mention parsons not having the aptitude for physics at all, same with galecki. shall we go on? yes, that’s why it’s called “acting”. mostly though, actors who play mobsters or serial killers or whatever evil onscreen portray the characters with some moral at the end to send a GOOD message (ie, murder is wrong, the mob is uncool, comeuppance happens to the evil). now, in a film or show like tbbt where there is nothing deeper than a constant hilarious mocking of a character’s otherwise significant values (vegan lifestyle, feminism, faith in god), the decision of whether or not to turn down that role that clashes with the actor’s principles depends on the actor. kaley cuoco, a vocal animal advocate, in “hop” for instance. instead of her character HATING dogs which is why she couldn’t housesit for her boss, she opted for her character simply being SCARED of dogs. even lindsay lohan, with all her airheadedness, had the integrity to turn down heather graham’s “the hangover” role because she didn’t believe in the script. drew barrymore turned down “showgirls” because the nudity went against her values. i could go on, but i think i’ve made my point. when it comes down to a role vs values, every actor has a choice. that said, not all actors use their celebrity to go all political on us (some actively AVOID it), which makes them more believable in whatever roles they play, and i appreciate that. however, if an actor decides to go all political on his/her views THEN play a character 100% OPPOSED to what they are freaking vocal about like mayim bialik, then that’s where hypocrisy sets in. like i said with my post earlier: “she wouldn’t be a hypocrite so much if she wasn’t a vocal advocate of these values, but as she is, then that’s just not having integrity at all for what you believe in.” in other words, learn to read better before you react in blind defense.

• lwylie7 says:

How is it hypocritical? If she herself had spoken up and said she had a problem with what Amy does/says/believes but continued to play the character then she would be a hypocrite, selling out her beliefs for the $$. Like I thought Katherine Heigl was a hypocrite for bagging the script of Knocked Up because she thought women were portrayed in a bad light, but she still continued to make the movie and take the paycheque.

Amy doesn’t appear to be an Orthodox Jew either, nor does she seem to have a keen interest in Attachment Parenting. These are also things that Mayim is vocal about. If they were actually portraying animal cruelty then one would hope that she would boycott.

• Kara Blankenship says:

@lwylie7 – hello? are you even WATCHING the same show? good grief, penny asserting to amy that girlfriends are good for sex is just one example of how they portray women in a bad light. sure, it’s funny, but it’ still misogynistic. and amy’s whole career revolves around animal cruelty. getting a starfish hooked on cocaine! training a capuchin mokey to smoke cigarettes! amy’s other test monkey slipping on a banana peel in her lab and amy laughing about it! do you think we vegans are happy about that? NOPE. do you think “vegan” mayim will boycott those episodes or the show itself and risk losing all this attention? NOPE. and your first few sentences just solidified my points. for someone who claims to have such high beliefs in life, mayim bialik DOES NOT even have a problem with amy’s shallow views on women, sexuality, religion, or animal rights. now if that’s not being a sellout, i dunno what is.

• Brandon Forbes says:

Kara,
        Uh, you seem to know ALOT about her and TBBT for someone who is SO butt-hurt and opposed to everything she and the show stand for. JUST sayin.
        Stop being a gutless no balls Internet “bully” and do some positive change in YOUR life. Get real.

• lynne miller says:

wow! that was nasty! do you know her personally that you can speak to her motives and beliefs?

• lemonaioli says:

Way to suck the fun out of everything, Debbie Downer. Bet you’re a joy to be around.

• Madeline says:

What exactly are you blabbering on about, Kitty S?

7. matthew c says:

So she tore no nerves, tendons or artery’s, so what does that mean? does it basically just mean she’ll eventually get full functionality back?

8. David Goff says:

Trolls make me laugh, they are so intense – like any of the comments good or bad will make any difference to Mayim or anything – the people who make them are impotent. TBBT is the funniest most watched show ever, a few trolls won’t change that and really you have to pity them. In this world of constant bad news TBBT is a ray of sunshine and so is Mayim

9. Bouncy Castle says:

Lord. I hope I never get on the wrong side of Michael C. Hall.

10. Serena says:

@Kara, you need help. Or a life. Or actually, now that I think about it…both.

now, away from the trolls

Glad to know Mayim is doing better! I am a bit bummed to know her injury will not be written in, at least in a mention. I was under the impression they would. It does totally seem like a lot more work to hide it though, a hand is not as easy to hide from view in camera as a leg for example.

• Kara Blankenship says:

Actually “Serena”… I am a vegan whose issue is with an ACTRESS who self-appoints herself to speak on our behalf, and yet sends the wrong message by putting a sitcom role over our fight against animal cruelty. All I’m saying is, choose a stand and stick by it – either be a vegan spokesperson OR an actress playing a character who abides by animal testing, but not both, in order not to misrepresent our cause. Her Big Bang colleague who also informally represents the fight for animal rights (Kaley Cuoco) wouldn’t be caught dead getting animals addicted to cocaine in her fictional lab for a few lame laughs, all for the sake of fame and attention from clueless fans like you. Now, YOU on the other hand, your issue is with a TV CHARACTER whose injury will not be written into a shows script, for reasons which are not only unknown, but in the large scheme of things, irrelevant to life as we know it. So tell me, who needs help AND a life now?

• Serena says:

I’m sorry. which show are you watching? how does a character (which wasn’t even her character, it was Sheldon) just mentioning “a starfish getting hooked on cocaine” qualify as animal cruelty? they never showed it, and didn’t even make a storyline out of it, and yet you use that as your accusation. She never appointed herself as “speaking on behalf of all vegans”, and I have never heard any vegan offended until you.
        And second. what does Kaley have to do with this? why are you trying to make it a Kaley vs Mayim when is clearly not the case here? both Mayim & Kaley act as the script tells them to, they are both professional actresses. Also, FYI, Penny’s hobbie as a kid was “tipping cows” which, in my book at least, does also qualify as animal cruelty. But again, it was a mention, and in no way I see it as “animal cruelty apology” either. IN ANY CASE, IF YOU ARE SO UPSET ABOUT IT, YOU SHOULD BE ANGRY AT THE WRITERS, NOT AT THE ACTRESS, WHO IS JUST PLAYING A PART.
        Also, I never had a ISSUE with her injury not being written in, I wrote “a bit bummed”, that doesn’t mean I’m tearing my hair out because of it. Get a grip.
        and for the record, I rather be a “clueless fan” as you call me, rather than a RABID HATER like you.

• Dale says:

yeah, and Sheldon was pretty proud of Amy getting that starfish hooked on cocaine and smiling as he said it… I guess according to Kara, that would also make Jim pro-cruelty to animals then? hahahaha

• Kara Blankenship says:

jim is not political. i dunno if he’s ever said this publicly, but as an actor, he deliberately steers clear of being political on any issue as much as he can. i find that admirable for an actor if he/she wants the freedom to play whatever part onscreen, without fear of it clashing against their personal convictions and sending the wrong message to their fans. the writers could not care less about the actors’ personal values, as long as they bring in the numbers, even at the expense of their show’s quality (scientific humor taking a dive to penile jokes and pratfalls). for the last time, you ignorant souls, it’s as simple as: being political = being responsible for your choices of roles. and that choice is, and will always be, the actor’s and no one else’s.

• Kara Blankenship says:

kaley vs mayim? REALLY? you’re making this about that? and as long as it’s just “mentioned” and not written out as “plot b” or a “runner” of an episode (like with the cruel cigarette-smoking monkey, btw), then that’s NOT encouraging animal cruelty – with laughs to boot? REALLY? well, judging by how mortifying your logic is, arguing with you is pointless. so let this be the last thing i say to you… i’d rather be a hater due to important life-changing convictions like animal rights and feminism being misrepresented by an actress who supposedly advocates these values (you know, like how even his co-republicans hate on akin for his views on rape and women), because these REAL issues are what i live by; rathan be like you – a shallow, clueless fan of a mere TV SHOW that you, evidently, live by. i’m fighting for a cause for humanity; you’re defending an actress you don’t even know in a show that is a work of fiction. OPA!

• cticret says:

Hey, here’s a solution to all of your issues…don’t watch the program. It’s a television show. That means there are other television shows on at the same time. Pick up your remote and change the channel.

11. I am happy she is still alive and healthy. I hope her hand get’s better soon,

12. TraumaJ says:

Poor woman! Soft tissue injuries can be nasty, sometimes longer recovery time than broken bones. I wish her well.

13. Poster says:

Sad to see how few of you are actually commenting on her hand. If you have a problem with her, post it somewhere else. As for you, Mayim, if you’re reading this, I hope you get well soon, and you’re a real trooper in all of this. God bless.

14. KBattgirl says:

To the web master @ TVLine.com: please follow your own rules posted for posting comments & remove all the Nasty comments that have been posted about Mayim Bialik that are completely OFF TOPIC!
    Comments should be about her car accident, not how you feel about her acting or her political views! Also, IF U CAN’T SAY SOMETHING NICE, DON’T SAYANYTHING AT ALL!
    Personally,I hope Mayim has a speedy recovery w/the least amount of pain! She is a talented & funny actor!

15. Canadian Girl says:

I am vegan, and consider myself “political” ( I would hope that EVERY citizen in a democracy is allowed and encouraged to be political)

I simply cannot agree with this whole concept that one can not be a “political” person and be an actor who plays a role contrary to their political beliefs, Do you think that Carol O Connor was being untrue to his politics when he ACTED as Archie Bunker – I do not and I for one am grateful for the discussions and awareness that the show (which also used comedy) brought to these issues!!!

The Characters on big bang are not perfect or glamorized – they are as flawed as any one of us! It is just a show and the main theme I get from most episodes is one of acceptance and friendship….I guess it is true what they say…If you are looking for the worst in things…you can find it!

16. Heinrich Atomic says:

I found this article because I was curious about Mayim’s hand. Not her personal views. She can believe anything she wants as far as I’m concerned. She’s a good actor and that’s what matters to me. A neuroscientist has to have materials to study. I don’t see a lot of people lining up to have their neuron’s removed. So what does that leave them? Huh? The fact she’s also a scientist only increases my admiration of her. All I care about is that she doesn’t lose functionality in her hand. Other than that, FEH. I hope she recovers quickly and fully. That’s it.

17. lynne miller says:

y’all are making this way too personal. mayim’s business is her business. what you or i do with ours is ours. this has long since failed to be ineresting.

18. lynne miller says:

that’s ” interesting “- spell check failed me.

19. Sheetal says:

lol! one poor girl is suffering from an injury and people are commenting about her being an hypocrite for playing the role of Amy.. If anyone has any issues with her role or any character on TBBT, then you should just stop watching the show! or even trying to read whats written about her! The show is supposed to be funny.. its meant to make you laugh at the kind of contradictory lifestyle they lead as opposed to what they say… take it light!