Exclusive

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive: Eric Dane Checks Out!

Eric Dane Leaving Grey's AnatomyGrey’s Anatomy boss Shonda Rhimes hinted that more departures could be on the horizon following last May’s deadly cliffhanger — and she wasn’t kidding.

Eric Dane, whose Dr. Mark Sloan looked on in horror as his soul mate Lexie (Chyler Leigh) passed away from her own injuries suffered in the plane crash, has decided to leave the ABC medical drama after six years, to pursue other opportunities. However, Grey’s fans have not yet seen the very last of him.

“I am extremely grateful to everyone at Grey’s, ABC and Shondaland for the experience and memories I have had over the course of this run,” Dane tells TVLine exclusively. “It has been wonderful to work alongside and learn from a creative force such as Shonda Rhimes.”

RELATED | Chyler Leigh Breaks Her Silence About Grey’s Anatomy Departure

In a statement to TVLine, Rhimes called McSteamy “one of the most beloved characters on Grey’s Anatomy.” She added that Dane “did not come to this decision lightly, but after much consideration and conversations, he and I have decided that this is the right time for his storyline to end.

“We’re a big Eric Dane Leaving Grey's Anatomyfamily here at Grey’s with a long history together and Eric will always remain an important part of our family,” Rhimes continued. “I wish him the best and I look forward to watching him as he continues to steam up the big and small screen.”

Dane’s Grey’s doc made quite a memorable entrance at the tail end of the show’s second season — punctuated by his emergence from Addison’s (Kate Walsh) steamy hotel bathroom, clad in nothing but a strategically placed towel. The sequence became one of the season’s biggest watercooler moments and led the hottie plastic surgeon to be dubbed “McSteamy.” It also prompted Rhimes to bring him back the following season as a full-time series regular.

Mark was eventually sprung from the Addison-Derek-Meredith kerfuffle and began an on-again-off-again romance with Lexie — a relationship that ended tragically in last May’s Season 8 finale. Unlike Lexie, Mark will (presumably) survive the crash. According to a Grey’s insider, Dane — whose alter ego suffered a cardiac arrest of sorts in the finale, but was saved by a quick-thinking Cristina — will be back for several episodes in order to ensure he gets a proper farewell.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Boss Opens Up About Heartbreaking Finale: “It Made Me Sick”

Eric Dane Leaving Grey's AnatomyDane’s departure, coupled with Leigh’s and Kim Raver’s (Teddy), means Grey’s will enter its ninth season this fall with three fewer series regulars. (The rest of the main cast are expected to stay put for at least two more years.)  To fill the void, the show has hired Friday Night Lights‘ grad Gaius Charles and True Blood‘s Camilla Luddington as new docs.

Grey’s Anatomy‘s ninth season kicks off Thursday, Sept. 27.

Thoughts? Bummed McSteamy is exiting Seattle Grace? Relieved he’ll at least get a proper send-off? Hit the comments!

1. tripoli says:

Too bad. Always liked Mark. Although without Lexie and their potential reunion he was losing a bit of steam in the story line department.

• Danielle H says:

I really liked him.. but he was always railroaded to the sidelines as the guy w/ one line an episode. I’ll miss him alot.

• Donna B. says:

I can’t believe Mark is gone! Never saw it coming. I don’t care how many lines he had per show, I just liked looking at him! I hope his future is more productive than Lizzie’s. She made a few movies and now you don’t really see her so much. These stars leave a high-ranked TV program, and you rarely see them again. Should stick with what they have and ot be so greedy.

• Cari says:

Umm… her name was Izzie… not Lizzie… And I’ve seen her in many thing recently but she did just adopt a 2nd child and wants to spend time with her kids…

• Robin says:

Totally agree! Grey’s won’t be the same without Mark and Lexie.

• dee says:

Too bad is right. This is how ER started going downhill when George left the show. In the end it wasn’t worth watching, and I’m beginning to think Grey’s has jumped the shark anyway. Some episodes and operations are unbelievable.

• kayla bills says:

I was very sad to see mark sloan a.k.a. mCsteamy leave the show he was one of my favs. The show will never be the same without him i love the show so much i watch the repeats over an over.

2. celine says:

Okay. The only way they can make his departure works is by killing Mark. I mean I can’t imagine him leaving Seattle because he’s heart broken after Lexie died and abandoning Sofia and Callie behind….I’m gonna miss him and his friendship with calzona…

• Grey's Lover says:

I completely agree with you. It doesn’t make sense to have Mark go to Seattle then leave…he has a child there for goodness sakes. And I’m pretty sure he’s still with that other doctor…it pains me to say it, but the only way it makes sense for Mark to leave is through killing him.

• Yolie says:

” Mark will (presumably) survive the crash. According to a Grey’s insider, Dane — whose alter ego suffered a cardiac arrest of sorts in the finale, but was saved by a quick-thinking Cristina — will be back for several episodes in order to ensure he gets a proper farewell.”

He doesn’t die.

• R says:

Eh! A very probable storyline would be MArk leaving Seattle to live with Addison! Kate Walsh’s also leaving PPP this season after 13 episodes.. perfect timing i say!

Besides Lexie, Addy is the only woman he ever loved! so this makes sense!

• dude says:

Not really. When someone loses their soul mate, they don’t typically look through their dating history and say “she’ll do.” The majority of fans don’t want to see Mark with someone else so I doubt they’ll end up together.

• R says:

Relax! just a arrow wild in the air man! :p

I was/am a big Slexie shipper myself… but yeah I would like Mark to have a happy departure rather than the Romeo-Juliet style death! So keeping that in view, Addy and Mark reunion is the best solution for an happy exit for both characters.

• Chick says:

It’s really not. In fact, it is one of the worst solutions. He lost his soul-mate. The one woman he truly loved. To be with Addison, who hasn’t been on the show in forever, would be like Lexie meant nothing to him at all. And it makes zero sense with the current storyline seeing as Addison has not been on the show or even mentioned at all. Mark’s only way out will be through death and as sad as that is it’s the only proper way for him to go. He has a child with Callie and Arizona. He’d never leave her for Addison. She is the world to him.

• Gen says:

I hate to think of Mark dying, but I love Addison with Sam. However, what I think is going to happen to Mark, is that he’ll survive the plane crash and make a complete physical recovery but just never be emotionally right again and then start doing rash things like drinking too much and driving too fast and probably end up in an accident, be an organ donor and die.

• Ioana says:

well if you are watching Private Practice, Addy is involved in 2 other crazy love story’s so I hope Mc Steamy wont complicate more her life at this point :)

• Nancy Nowalk says:

What if (this is a real stretch) the actress who plays Callie decides to leave the show or the character dies. And then, Mark after 2 devastating losses, takes his child (Arizona may not have legal rights to the child if she didn’t formally adopt her) to Seattle and he and Addison resume their relationship and raise their children together. Of course, yr right, Mark could die. Maybe from the wounds he got in the accident.

• Danielle says:

Actually, from the heavy-handed foreshadowing of Callie being so excited for Arizona to come home and the fact that Arizona seems to be the least hurt (meaning she could be in shock), I think what’s going to happen is that Arizona succumbs in the beginning of the season, leaving Callie and Mark to somehow pick up the pieces. In that scenario, them moving away might make sense.

• Russ says:

they wouldn’t get rid of Mark, Arizona and Callie all in one. That too many people on top of Lexie and Teddy.

• deana says:

they got rid of teddy?
            damn if they get rid of callie and arizona I will stop watching

• susela says:

Arizona was coughing up blood, which implies a serious internal injury. But if she dies, it strains credulity that Mark would leave Callie to raise their daughter alone. And it seems equally incredible that the show would let go of McSteamy, Lexie, Teddy, Arizona AND Callie in one fell swoop. (Even though they’ve had too many characters for awhile now.)

• ben says:

Really? I completely disagree. Lexie’s death provides a perfect opportunity for Mark to move on from Seattle Grace.

• Danielle says:

Yea because if the ex-girlfriend your still in love with dies, it totally makes sense to abandon the kid you dumped her over. Sophia’s 2, she’ll understand.

• Danielle says:

*you’re.

• ben says:

Who said he has to ‘abandon’ his kid to move on from Seattle Grace? Why can’t he not be on Grey’s and still be in Sophia’s life?? Does not compute – the show is about the hospital – if you aren’t working there, you aren’t staying on the show.

• Chick says:

Ya but if you’re not on the show you’re not going to be in the characters’ lives that are on the show. And he’s not going to be making guest appearances so he wouldn’t be in Sophia’s life. So he would have abandoned his child…the child that he loves to be the father of.

• Lara says:

Exactly! Thank you! He might just go to work on a different hospital but stay in Seattle or nearby. He wouldn’t appear on the show. He’ll simply get mentioned by the other characters because they would still be in touch with him.
            Think about it… it makes perfect sense that Mark would want to leave Seattle Grace Mercy Death.
            And for those who say Arizona is dying because she’s in a pretty bad shape— read the article. The rest of the cast has signed for two more years. Just Eric Dane, Kim Raver and Lexie are leaving the show.

• Olivia says:

Thought the same, but read the article, he’s gonna be there for a few more episodes. Maybe he kills himself. Anyhow, a bit harsh on Sofia tough.
      I also think of how lonely Derek’s gonna be.

• David Epling says:

He does have a critical injury in the Cardiac Tamponade. He could easily die from his injuries

• lorna says:

Agreed, and him and McDreamy are bff. It sounds like it was his choice, I wish him luck, no hard feelings toward him. I think he is a good actor, despite many naysayers. Just bummed Shonda screwed us fans in s8 of Slexie, minus the finale. :(

• annabelle says:

I can’t imagine he would leave Sofia and Callie either. That would be ridiculously out of character, especially after he fought so hard to keep his grandson and to be an equal parent to Sofia. If Shonda cares about being true to her own characters, she would have to kill him off.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to see everything play out, because with this piece of news, I am officially out. The only things keeping me from leaving this show were Mark (and his fam), Lexie, and Alex. I love me some Alex Karev, but this show is now merely a shadow of its former self.

• I think it is a big/huge mistake for Eric Dane A.K.A Mark Sloan to leave Grey’s Anatomy so soon like this, in order to pursue a career on the big screen! I’ve seen a lot of actors leave great shows just for this purpose, and their careers went down the toilet! If you (Eric Dane) are reading everyone’s post, please reconsider your options here;Yes you’re a great actor as Mark, but when you go for auditions, a lot of directors are just gonna see you as the guy who played a,”Sex symbol” on a series! Don’t get me wrong, I love Grey’s Anatomy, but look at the guy who played George…Do you see him in anything else? I know I don’t…not anything worth mentioning anyway, and ya, Katherine Heigle has been in a bunch of movies, but they were all the same story lines ; just different names…plus, don’t dismiss the fact that the 1st movie she did after Grey’s (Knocked up) made her famous, but she is embarrassed to admit she was in it (What a B****)! All i’m saying is, at least wait till the show is over for good to pursue the big screen!

3. me says:

nooooooooooo

4. Svenja says:

I am really sad with all the changes in Shondaland but happy to hear that they will give him a proper exit next season and not just let him disappear. I am still sad. Why him and Chyler? I know why but still… I wasn’t a Mexie-Shipper but I loved their characters individually and their last scene broke my heart.

5. martina says:

And yet April Kepner is still on the show..

• Greys Lover says:

still trying to understand why she’s still here tbh..

• Paige says:

Worst.

• Mik says:

I love April. She’s very funny. And Sarah Drew is an amazing actress.

• Ashly says:

Really? I love April. I find her hilarious. To each his own I guess.

This is a little mean, but I don’t understand why Eric Dane and Chyler Leigh decided to leave. They say that this is not the last we’ll see of them, but it probably is. I have a feeling that Grey’s is going to be like Friends with hardly anyone finding success after the show. At least with Grey’s they could have two more years of being on a popular show. I love the show, but I’m not ignorant of the fact that the acting by the majority of the cast is not of the highest caliber. I think it is highly unlikely that either Dane or Chyler will have this much success again. Who knows? Maybe I’ll be proven wrong.

• Lauren says:

I think Chyler chose to leave because of her family, not her career.

• Tiffany says:

MY GIRL CHYLER WILL FIND ANOTHER JOB AND BE SUCCESSFUL. SHE AN AMAZING ACTRESS AND SINGER

• Olive says:

Matt LeBlanc has Episodes, Jennifer Annisten has a film career, Lisa Kudrow has a very modest film career, Matthew Perry is guest starring on the Good Wife, Courtney Cox has/had Cougar Town, and David Schwimmer is a film director. They have all had success after Friends especially Jennifer Annisten and Matt LeBlanc. Maybe they do not have the same success they had with Friends but to say they harldy found any success is just flat wrong. All that being said, yeah I don’t expect to see Eric Dane for a while.

• tripoli says:

Thank you. I was hoping someone would correctly point out that all of the Friends actors are doing just fine and have each had success in some way since Friends ended. Terrible example to use.

• Ashly says:

As much as I loved Friends, the actors aren’t nearly as big as they were during the Friends era. Jennifer Aniston is probably the most successful, but are her movies really in good? Matt LeBlanc bombed with Joey. He has Episodes now which has critical acclaim, but how many people actually watch it? Courtney Cox’s show is so successful (5 million viewers last season), it’s moving off network television to TBS. Matthew Perry had Studio 60 and Mr. Sunshine which didn’t last more than a season. We’ll see how his new show turns out. David Schwimmer is a director? That’s news to me. Lisa Kudrow has a modest film career. I think you hit the nail on the head with that, modest. Other than Aniston, all of these actors have modest success. That’s the point I was trying to make with Dane and Chyler. It’s unlikely they’re going to be huge stars like Will Smith, Steve Carell, or Michael J Fox. They’ll probably be around for awhile, but as far as the most successful point in their careers. It’s probably already passed.

• Random says:

Ughhh I loved mark! But for real…April needs to go somewhere she is the worst character EVER thought of..almost as bad as her best friend who was shot in the head..another bad one.

• Svenja says:

A thing I’ll never understand

• Saint Alicia says:

It’s inexplicable really.

• Mrs K says:

If only Gary Clark had shot her too.

• DJ says:

April and Jackson definitely need to go too.

• ben says:

I like April :( Don’t get me wrong, I liked Mark and Lexie too. But I wonder if people would have been happy with Karev dying after two seasons on the show. In season 3 he came into his own. Callie took a while to really feel like she wasn’t an outcast in the ensemble too. Thats what I hope to see with April this season.

• Susan says:

I love her 2. She’s annoying sometimes, I admit. But she’s a gret heart, she’s always trying to help everyone, even Karev, who is an ass to everyone.

• Jen says:

The more people hate on April, the more I love her tbh

• Yuval says:

Read your reply and laughed. so true. what a useless character.

• ggny says:

have you been watching the last season? April has been one of the few good parts of the show

• cindy says:

Yep..cause the actress wants to stick around contrary to those who do not. April could leave tomorrow, it still wouldn’t bring any of our beloved characters back. They made a choice to leave..it’s simple as that.

• Stacey says:

Shush with your logic! Don’t you know that Sarah Drew is evil and keeping the “beloved” actors hostage in her basement?

• bree_zee says:

totally agree. i was really hoping they’d dump her whiney butt after she failed her boards. she’s a horrible character.

• lauren says:

EXACTLY!!! How the hell does she have a spot on Greys still?! Her character is annoying and pointless!

6. Sara says:

This is so sad. Worse than Lexie’s.

7. Tom Riddle says:

Sloan coming out of Addison’s bathroom wasn’t how he entered the show. He visited the hospital earlier that season and was already dubbed “McSteamy” by Meredith before that bathroom scene.

• Nancy Nowalk says:

Oh, that’s right, Tom!! I remember now that you say that.

• Dawn says:

Mark made his entrance in episode 18 of season 2. The bath towel scene was season 3 episode 2 I believe. Did the author of this article make any effort to check their facts?

8. Elyse says:

nooooooooooooooooooooo :( :( :(

9. nyla says:

there better be a QUALITY Mark/Callie goodbye scene.

• moobear says:

I’m actually hoping that they don’t have to have that scene, because the character just decides to enter private practice (no pun intended), that way they can just reference him, like on date night being well Mark has Sophiia, etc.. I just can’t really see Mark leaving his kid behind.

• margot says:

Me too. I would be so sad if there was no closure to the Mark/ Callie relationship.

• Meg Torgerson says:

April is going to regain success through Vhristinas ec husband, who flew to see her and passionately demanded she come back and resume her career as a surgeon. He will guide her, maybe even fall in love with her. Who knows? But April has a second chance now. I think well see her give it all shes got. As far as Mark Sloans death, which I recorded and just watched last night, what a great loss to what was and hopefully remain one of the best shows on tv. But Shonda encoiraged Sloan to leave. Stupid ___.If she knew how the fans would resct, I dont think she would have encouraged him to go. Im heartbroken, cried my eyes out last night and Im sstill shocked and not over it today. And poor Derek and Callie. How will this affect them?Losing their best friend. Bad, bad move. I dont know if I can watch without Mark and Lexie. I never really cared for Teddy.

10. João Amaral says:

now, the only character i actually care about is Karev.

11. Joan says:

NOOOOOO! :(( I know he didn’t have much to do this season but he’s still one of my favorite characters. It feels now like the show is slipping, so for me it would be better if they just end it this year. Also, since Eric is gone, here’s hoping that they let Mark die so we can imagine he and Lexie are together in the afterlife (Lame, I know, but part of me feels like this is what Shonda imagined.)

12. Anon says:

well, my last favourite character is gone, fine.

• tinbite daniel says:

i rally love easy still i miss her so much. If u kill lexiey u should replace easy because i can’t see the move with out easy and lexiey! Please please bring her back easy! I have no idea how much i feel bad in lexiey die.

13. chris says:

BYE. Should have left after season 4. It was apparent they had no use for him.

14. I love Mark, but I wish they killed him off with Lexie. I really can’t imagine them creating a believable way for him to leave Seattle, especially since he loves being a father.

15. Sofia Robbin Sloan Torres says:

Yay now Calzona can raise Sofia together without him barging in all the time n telling them that they are raising her wrong and make Arizona feel bad everytime he talks to her he like puts her down seems like

• marge says:

I was wondering how long it would take before the “Calzona” ship jumped on their soap box.
      News flash: (should he not die) he’s STILL her father.
      And I don’t know what Grey’s you’re watching, but in the show I watch – him and Arizona are friends and they have a 3-way co-parenting system.

• lorna says:

Well Arizona didnt even want the baby until Callie almost died. Arizona thinks she’s the sh** and irritates me. I’ve only liked her in her first episode.

16. Haydee M. says:

If he was going to leave the show then they shouldn’t have killed off Lexie. This could have easily been both of the characters leaving the hospital TOGETHER for other jobs in another hospital. Him staying for a couple more episodes could have been Mark contemplating following Lexie to another hospital and both could have been happy and alive. -_-

17. Serena says:

NOOOO!! Okay what?!?!? Like what the hell. If he was going to leave the show anyway, then why did Lexie have to die?!?! Why couldn’t they both decide to leave together, and end up together somewhere happy?!?! UGH NOT FAIR!!

18. TV Gord says:

Maybe they could replace him with Dick Van Dyke, who played Dr. Mark Sloan…on Diagnosis Murder. ;-)

19. DB Rob says:

It would have been nice for his departure not to have been written Tweeted to the world as a spoiler…

20. PFitzDC says:

Hey TVLine–perhaps it would have been nice for you to have posted a “Spoiler Alert” on that headline?

• tripoli says:

Seriously? It’s not like they revealed any plot points.

• jdurbs says:

You’re on a TV website that reports news about TV shows and the actors on those TV shows. If you don’t want to read information about those shows and those actors because it might spoil some silly little detail…THEN STOP COMING HERE! It’s super simple.

• tripoli says:

Why are you replying to my comment as if I am annoyed by the article? I think you meant to reply to the one above me.

• April says:

It’s not TVLines’s fault. It’s yours. If you don’t want to be spoiled then don’t come to an entertainment news site. End of story.

• DB Rob says:

It was spoiled in the headline he tweeted telling people to come read the article. He is usually pretty good about not spoiling things in his tweets and letting readers decide to click on the link to see the story containing the spoiler only if they choose to. In this case, if you follow Ausiello or tvline on Twitter, you got spoiled whether you wanted to be or not.

21. kelly says:

Thank you God! Eric (and his pairing Lexie/Chyler Leigh were wasted! Shonda never wanted to write for their characters or their coupling. I love Mark and he deserves to be with his soul mate Lexie after the torture these two characters were put through.

BTW, goodbye Grey’s your show is about killing off people you don’t write for George (for finale ratings which do not work for any show), Lexie and now Mark. No RIP because this was ONCE a good show but not for the last 3 seasons or so. Only character assassinations.
    Rumors are Chyler was fired and Rhimes gave the same statement as this so either Eric was fired too or knows his character has nothing and decided to leave.

22. DJ says:

YES! Great news! Now Eric can go to rehab and get clean and then when he’s out he can get acting lessons.

• Alex says:

A+ comment lmao!

Maybe I can start to watch GA again. Character wise, he almost singlehandedly ruined the show for me. Still sad for Lexie though… But Sloan is one of the worst tv characters ever and I don’t even know how on earth Dane is called an “actor”. I hope they kill him off so we don’t have to suffer through guest appearances. Flashbacks, maybe, but it’ll still be rare so I’m ok with it as long as I don’t see his fugly smug face every other week.
      Now if they give Karev something/someone significant in his life, deal with Calzona properly, send Owen wherever they want and bring the old Cristina back, maybe this show has a shot and can come back from the dead.

23. Linderella says:

I’m sad to see him go…but if Shonda bring’s Katherine Heigl back it would be easier to take!

24. Wow, GA. Wow. Kinda makes me wonder why they didn’t just kill Mark during the S8 finale ’cause his ghastly appearance kinda had me thinking he was gonna kick the can then and there. I can only assume that maybe he hadn’t made the decision to leave just yet. S9 will definitely be interesting with Mark, Lexie AND Teddy being gone now. Not to mention with these new characters that have been added to the show. Gotta say, me thinks that GA is coming to a quick close. Kinda makes you wonder just how much gas GA’s got left.

25. BettyB says:

I hope tomorrow it’s announced Sandra Oh leaves Greys. I’m ready for her to move on from this show.

• susela says:

Bite your tongue, BettyB! Sandra Oh is far and away the finest actress on the show. Whereas Eric Dane was embarrassing to watch in his final scene with the dying Lexie. I won’t miss his wooden delivery.

26. Nooo. Why are you doing this to me, Shonda… First Lexie, now Mark…. Plus it’s Addison’s last season (I’m hoping it’s PP’s too) ;(

27. Kathryn says:

If Mark’s leaving, and apparently not getting killed off as it says in the article, how are they going to explain him leaving his child? He was pretty eager to become a father. It seems inconsistent character wise for him to leave a child he was so excited to have. It would’ve made more sense to kill him off in the season premiere.

• Maria says:

Probably he  will suffer a trauma or loss of a memory to make his departure easier. He will not remember his child and everything. It’s a soap opera and for the last 3 seasons awful one, so anything is possible.

• Jen says:

Mark leaving Seattle Grace doesn’t mean he’s leaving the state. He could leave because of too many Lexie memories and take a job at another hospital and still be in Sofia’s life

• Aussie says:

Exactly what I was thinking, he doesn’t have to be leaving Seattle like everyone is presuming. He is still with Julia at this point who works at Seattle pres so he may decide to go work over there still and still b around for Sophia.
        If he leaves state the only acceptable move to me will be to California to be with Addison and Henry

• Jennifer says:

maybe he will be back for a few episodes for characters and sophia esp to say a proper goodbye and he will cling to life for a few weeks for this to happen and Arizone will be healed at the same time Mark dies…

28. Ace says:

I really hope they kill him off. It’s the only thing that would make sense, post-Lexie. And I know it’s been said, but if both actors were going to leave, WHY couldn’t the characters have ridden off into the sunset together?

29. MDFTW says:

Why exactly is April on the show still? Fans would much rather Mark stay than April, the worst character in the history of TV. GET RID OF HER APRIL SHONDA!

30. Dominique says:

This is horrible, but I want Mark to die, then. I want him to be with Lexie, in a matter of speaking. Plus; if Lexie HAD to die because “she would never leave her family and her job behind”, then Mark would DEFINITELY not do that, since he has a daughter.

31. Barbie says:

They, both Eric and Chyler, should go to Canadian Rookie Blue. It’s like the Grey’s Anaromy of cops, right? Except the writer isn’t the sanguinary closeted serial killer Rhimesis and no one dies there. Or maybe it’s because they’re Canadian and tragedy there means being getting shot in their krevlar vest. Either, ut’s amazingly ironic how they’re cops and so much safer than the Seattle Grace doctors. :)

32. Noscreenname says:

Sometimes I wonder if SR is even really in charge or thinks things through at all Why not kill Lexie and Mark together or have them leave happily together? Or depart within a few weeks of one another? But THIS? What’s wrong with that woman? And really, he’s going to leave the baby and his precious Callie and walk off into the sunset? Makes no sense. The only thing that would make sense is if they exiled the injured Mark to househusband and he appeared oncamera periodically.
    Also, there is obviously going to be a huge shift in the show, with McDempsey’s hand unusable, thus he’ll be manning the homefront or something like that, out of view more than usual. As Mark was his primary equal, friend, sparring partner, Mark’s departure paves the way for the audience to see less of Shepard in the hospital. I sense that SR sometimes doesn’t know from week to week who will be in the cast or wants to stay with the show. It has been written so strangely the last few months, all very seat-of-the-pants.

33. Sam says:

Damn! That first picture really shows how bad Eric Dane looks now. Not even coloring his hair brown can disguise how much he’s aged and how gaunt he has become. There’s absolutely nothing “McSteamy” about him anymore.
    Truthfully, Mark should have left after Addison left because she’s the reason he came to Seattle in the first place (none of that retcon with him saying that he came to seattle to be with Derek). GA has always struggled to fit him into the story. Mark staying and becoming BFFs again with Derek was really forced.

34. Elly says:

Shonda Rimes….I officially dislike you just short of hate. Are you freaking kidding me?! It’s bad enough getting rid of Chyler but seriously?! If you were go

• Elly says:

Got cut off. I’m sorry but if you were going to cut 3 cast members-cut the ones WITH THE LEAST TO ADD!!! i.e. Teddy, April, and Jackson. They add nothing and have been a pain in the ass since they arrived. Oh and firing Tim Daly over Benjamin Bratt or Brian Benben? Are you f-ing kidding me? I swear she’s just sabotaging the shows so she can focus on Scandal. Ugh I really dislike her.

• ben says:

Yeah, cos that would explain why Henry Ian Cusick is gone from Scandal, right? Shonda shows have always had people moving on. Why do people make their disappointment about a particular person leaving into some kind of dastardly plot byy Shonda to undermine her own income? As if anyone would do that.

• Elly says:

Because the shows are teetering out and instead of giving fans the proper closure, she’s trying to save money by cutting the story lines that are too messy to clean up, thus cutting their characters. Private Practice has 13 eps left- she could have sent Sheldon into the sunset with his ex, but instead she throws Tim Daly under the bus? He’s a fan favorite and his paycheck would go a lot farther than Brian or Benjamin’s. Same with Eric’s and Chyler’s. I don’t watch Scandal, but I know Henry being the biggest star was more than likely giving him on of the highest paid, so cutting him probably went a long way.

35. Alia says:

He is not going to die, he loves Lexie and for him will be so hard to remain in Seattle where everything makes him remember her so he will be back to New York or another place and start a new life.

PLEASE, NO MORE DEATHS ON GREY’S!!!!!.

36. Juan says:

Nooo this is so sad I can’t believe this is happening, well at least we will def get some episodes with him and he isn’t dying so he can come back, how sad

37. Denise says:

Another reason to stop watching. They’re piling up!

38. Jude says:

Bugger

39. Stacey says:

Unpopular opinion but good. Mark was nice to look at for a few seasons, but Eric Dane cannot act and hasn’t been looking too good. And I thought Lexie was annoying, so good riddance to both

• susela says:

Yes, Eric Dane added little to the show, but I had become quite fond of Lexie. Can’t blame Chyler Leigh for wanting to be home with four young children, though.

40. sarah says:

This is crazy. I like the show but I think this season needs to be the last as they are losing key cast members and with Patrick doing half time then I think it is a good time to have a proper final season!

41. Amy says:

Thank you for the news Ausiello. Just a note that Mark’s entrance into Grey’s was not when he came out of the shower in Addison’s hotel room, it was when he was punched in the face by Derek after flirting with Meredith in S2, although the shower scene was beyond memorable television and the start of one of my favorite pairings on Grey’s; Mark and Addison. Also, while Cristina diagnosed Mark’s heart prob, it was Meredith who did the procedure to save him in the crash. I will miss Eric Dane a lot. Though initially I hated that Mark was a part of cheating with Addison and emotionally destroying Derek who was the only “brother” like person he has ever had. Mark grew on me so much over the seasons. In a sense, Meredith lost her sister in last season’s plane crash and now , Derek will loose his childhood best friend, Mark in S9. Sad times. Let’s hope Dane will make an occasional appearance as I’d hate to think he would leave his daughter Sofia entirely after seeing how his other daughter was effected by his absence in their SL. Perhaps with Kate Walsh also exiting PPP this season, Mark and Addison can be reunited again. That would be a nice ending for those two characters.

• MichBelle says:

Izzie, Christina and Meredith were watching him stitch up his own face after Derek punched him. They started with McHottie and then Meredith said McSteamy – followed by George saying something about McVomit and walking away. Why do I know that?

• Jen M says:

YES. I was just going to comment the same thing. Meredith named him “McSteamy” after he sewed up his own face.

42. Mikaylah says:

I really love Mark and it makes sense to end his story now that Lexie is gone, however I am wondering how Sophia will factor into all of this. Perhaps they’ll just mention occasionally that she is visiting her dad. Sad to see Eric Dane go.

43. Liz says:

Wow… Shonda really wants to kill her show. The only characters I like are Meredith, Derek, Mark (I LOVED the friendship between those two… Heck, Mark made even Lexie be likeable!), and Cristina & Owen.

44. Cindy says:

Should have let.Mark and Lexie leave happily together. Shonda is an ass. I am done with her and all her shows.

45. Jarrod says:

The only good to come from this is the possibility of Catherine Avery being hired by Owen to run the Plastic Surgery Department after Mark leaves. I love her character and it’d be good to see Richard get more screentime and a love interest after what happened with Adele. Not to mention, Jackson could be put to good use if attempting to get a plastic surgery fellowship. It’d be hilarious to see him and his mother constantly at each other.

• Jan says:

Catherine Avery would not be hired by Owen to run the Plastic Surgery Department. She is not a plastic surgeon. She is a urologist. Also she looks down on plastic surgeons and was appalled that her son Jackson was going into that specialty.

46. RS says:

HEAVENS BE PRAISED, I have been waiting for this day pretty much since he joined. I was particularly disappointed when he wasn’t one of the deaths in the finale, so this is exceptionally good news. Sometimes dreams come true!

47. Dawn says:

I really think Shonda is closing up storylines to finish GA off with season ten. But I would hope that April and Jackson could ride off to Tulane and she could marry the guy she gave her virginity too. Make her a happy camper and lose two unnecessary characters since Shonda is adding more. I hope Eric Dane is well but he looks like a shell of McSteamy. He needs time to get himself together. I don’t see how she’s going to keep Mark viable on a part time basis with Sophia but I’m sure Shonda will think of something that will surprise us.

48. bob says:

Hope he goes to rehab. Geez, he looks really bad now compared to when he started on the show.

49. Jen says:

Interesting that Shonda’s statement about him leaving and her statement about Chyler leaving are almost identical. I can only hope that he leaves the same way as she did then and dies so that Mark and Lexie can be together for eternity. After making so many Grey’s fans upset by killing Lexie and never making good on reuniting her and Mark then I think that’s the only way to make fans accept this. I know it’s the only way I’ll be able to keep watching!

• Lu says:

Totally agree! I said it too in my comment: Its the only way I´ll keep watching. Also, maybe a little crazy but.. it could be nice if we at least can see a scene of Lexie receiving him like the Izzie/Geroge Elevator scene, right? That will make us, the Slexie Fans, really happy.