Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2012: My Snappy Judgments

Emmy Nominations 2012The 2012 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, a mixed bag. For every inspired nod (congrats, Max Greenfield!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (Kathy Bates over Katey Sagal?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations — the Complete List

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* Nods for Downton Abbey‘s Michelle Dockery and Joanne Froggart
* Don Cheadle sneaking in for House of Lies.
* All of the Homeland love.
* The best comedy nominations for Girls and leading lady Lena Dunham.
* New Girl scene-stealer Max Greenfield makes the supporting actor in a comedy cut.
* Finally, Breaking Bad‘s lone female, Anna Gunn, gets some love.
* Mayim Bialik becoming the first Big Bang Theory female to score a nod.
* All the nods for Sherlock, including best movie/miniseries and stars Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman.
* Jason Ritter making the guest actor in a drama series cut for Parenthood.
* The long-overlooked Merritt Wever from Nurse Jackie being recognized.

PHOTOS | Emmy Shock — The 37 Biggest Snubs

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* Kathy Bates getting recognized for the now-cancelled Harry’s Law over Sons of Anarchy‘s Katey Sagal.
* Jon Cryer getting nominated for Two and a Half Men over Community‘s Joel McHale.

RELATED | Emmy Nominees React — Who Said What?

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* The Good Wife getting shut out of the drama series category for the first time. And where the hell is Carrie Preston in the guest category?!
* Emmy flunking Community (save for one writing nod).
* No love for Cougar Town. Ditto Happy Endings.
* Parks and Recreation
failing to score a best comedy nod.
* The absence of Fringe‘s John Noble.
Southland getting bubkes.
Sons of Anarchy’s Katey Sagal getting screwed.
 Again. Ditto her criminally underrated co-stars Charlie Hunnam and Maggie Siff.
* No major nods for The Walking Dead. Ditto Justified.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. Jamie says:

The panel should be ashamed for leaving out Katey Segal AGAIN

• alr says:

And Maggie Siff being snubbed too! She had some of her best acting last season!

• Shazha says:

Agreed!!!! She is amazing and needs to be reconized for that!

• Tracy says:

I want to know the people that decide who gets nominated and who wins. I can’t help but feel that the ACADEMY has personal issues with Son of Anarchy and this is why ,It’s their 5th season and have never been nominated. Bottom line Kurt let his feelings be known when asked how he felt being over looked and snubbed a few years ago. Being so passionate about his work he wasn’t too nice in his reply. He is a brilliant writer and he pays great attention to detail when it comes to the music he puts on SOA. When it comes to big budget films we may know of a few directors but in the world of TV Kurt Sutter is The Man a Rock Star Writer /Director/Actor that the fans have grown to love him as much as his creation,SOA. My point in writing this is Katey Segal, Charlie Hunamm,and Maggie Siff deserves to be recognized !!! Shame on the Academy

• Carmen says:

I completely agree. One of TV’s top performers of the past 4 years. She shines in every season of Sons. Super sad about her constant snubs.

• Vikki says:

Not to mention Ryan Hurst! Opie was one of the most compelling characters this past season!

• CJ says:

Michael Ausiello should be ashamed for misspelling “ado.”

• LonePalm says:

And Charlie Hunnam! He owned Season 4 of Sons Of Anrchy and was spectacular all season, but especially the last 5 episodes, he was phenomenal!

• Keenan says:

Correct me if i’m wrong but i don’t think she was ever nominated for Married With Children or has been for Futurama.
      Which complete sucks & in fact brings it to a whole new level of suck.

• matthew says:

sons is by far one of the bet shows on tv almost every person on the show should be nominated and also the walking dead great show the actors are all very good // the panel is all f*#ked up

• Sandra says:

I am with you100%. There is no better show than SOA out there. Anna Gunn getting nominated over Katey Sagel, all she dos is whine on Breaking Bad. Katey is a true actor. Not going to waste my time anymore watching the Emmy’s. also can’ believe The Walking Dead was snubbed. Totally sucks.

• dolphinlights says:

And for including Hugh Bonneville in the Best Actor Drama category at the expense of the excellent Timothy Olyphant and Hugh Laurie. What a bunch of bull-o-ney.

2. Ava says:

Awards are stupid…but they’d be less stupid if they went to the right people.-Ron Swanson, who’s portrayor was snubbed yet again.

3. The lack of nominations for John Noble and Anna Torv is tragic.

• Chiana says:

Especially since we’re looking at a final shortened season. No way they’ll get nominated for the upcoming season in next year’s selection. So sad. It’s my favourite drama.

• Sophie says:

Since it is a shortened season, perhaps they can enter the mini-series category? Maybe that will get them some Emmy love.

• Delirious says:

I honestly don’t get why John Noble has been snubbed every single season. Has he done something to the Academy, or whatever?

• Snsetblaze says:

Because of the genre the show is in – science fiction/fantasy and horror are pretty much ignored by the emmys. Game of Thrones seems to be the exception. And from what I saw, only Peter Dinklage again got a nomination. It is criminal that the kid playing Joffrey and the one playing Arya were not nominated (as well as Lena Hedley and Charles Dance in his smaller role). (As an aside, perhaps a seperate category for children should be added. Many child actors today are actually quite good (on TV at least). Unless the children are cast in a kids show or on a children’s network, they are not as annoying and cloying as they used to be).

• Agreed on needing new category for under-18 actors. Arya Stark, the Joffrey kid (actually I don’t know if he’s a “child” irl), Sally Draper, and if the younger Weeds kid is under 18, all deserve noms.

• Mary says:

I think adding a category for 18 and younger isn’t a bad idea. The kid actors on Modern Family are really good and are constantly ignored.

• richard says:

Because he’s the most annoying actor in the history of thespian activities. He overacts and overacts and overacts to the point that he makes Fringe practically unwatchable. Fringe was ruined by bad casting: other than John Noble, Anna Torv is also a big problem. She obviously graduated from the Sandy Dennis School of Acting: all facial twitches and mannerisms.

4. Sam says:

ugh the comedy series category leaving out parks and rec, what a joke

• Atoz says:

I can’t even.

• Sharyn L says:

Absolutely and Nick Offerman,- insane

• Jenny says:

The emmy’s only make me mad!!! Parks&Rec is only the beginning! Ron Swanson is just too awesome for them!

• Laura E. says:

This year’s Emmys have absolutely no credibility, simply because of this.

• Suncatcher says:

Not to mention their ignoring white hot PERSON OF INTEREST – entire cast, writing, production.
      They only won the People’s Choice Award this year for Best New Drama… Wow.
      (Probably why they have the People’s Choice Awards)!

• malarson2 says:

Didn’t even think of this show as I was reading the list. I knew I was missing something and this show is it. I LOVE this show. It is so good and even though I feel like an elderly person every time I sit down to watch it – something about watching an hour-long drama on CBS, I guess – I enjoy the heck out of it each and every time. Plus, it’s getting good ratings. I’m going to start my campaign for it for next year’s Emmy’s right now. Thanks for the reminder.

• van says:

Agreed! Person of Interest is #1 new drama. Some of us like to sit down with our families and watch shows that are not all about sex. Jim Caviezel is amazing.

• Olive says:

I know. So ridiculous!

5. Juliana says:

I’m happy that Girls and Veep were nominated!!! And i’m really glad that Glee wasn’t… I’m a fan of the show but the last season was terrible. The cast in Modern Family is great, but nominations for everyone? I think other actress/actors in other shows deserved better.

• Agreed. Modern Family is a wonderful show, but they always get such excessive nominations that it’s almost hard to like it anymore. Should’ve narrowed it to just Eric Stonestreet for the guys, in my opinion, opening up the roster to Nick Offerman and others.

• rachelleet says:

Ugh – yes! Modern Family (while a hilarious show) shouldn’t get a nod for every actor/actress. Leave some room for other peeps!

6. Gerald says:

Cumberbatch got the nod for best actor in a mini series or movie. I’m happy. #SherlockFTW

• malarson2 says:

Hope he doesn’t get SHERLOCKED, as we now say WAAAAY too often in my family for everything from getting tricked by someone to being proven right in an argument.

7. SNL says:

How about Castle? They should stop snubbing some of the best shows on TV!

• Nicely said! It’s borderline ridiculous.

• kat says:

I adore Castle, but don’t feel that it’s award-worthy.

• Katherine215 says:

Stana Katic was pretty amazing in Kill Shot, the PTSD episode, among others. Castle will never get any love because it’s a dramedy. And with so many great cable shows that have more creative freedom than network shows, most of the network shows aren’t going to stand a chance anymore. I kind of wish there was separate categories for the networks and the cable channels. There’s good network TV that gets overlooked, IMO.

• Emily says:

It is not because it’s a dramedy. If you’re going to go there, then Justified could be considered a dramedy, and it’s dryly funnier, more serious, and more compelling than Castle is. Dexter has its fair share of funny too. Castle will never be nominated because it’s a typical procedural with very well-cast leads. Anyway, if network and cable were separated, there would be no reason for networks to step up their game. It’s basic demand and supply, if awards were the only thing they focus on (it’s not).

8. The Parks & Recreation snubs are getting absolutely ridiculous now. And we all know Amy Poehler won’t win because for some reason they’re scared to hand her her much-deserved and long-over due Emmy.

Only watch one show in the comedy category (said show been Modern Family) and it’s so overrated these days I’d rather see another show take it.

Sad Glee didn’t receive nominations but that was a long shot considering no one considers it a comedy any more.

9. luke says:

ahahah no good wife? wtf

10. Nicole says:

Nothing really for Justified.. is just wrong!

11. AC says:

No Son’s, Happy Endings, or Community. I just cant….

• Especially Damon Waynas Jnr and Casey Wilson who were recognised by the Critics Choice Awards!!!! Happy Endings deserved some love, instead of nominating the entire Modern Family cast who are funny but not the best on TV!

• HappyEndingsGeek says:

Thank you!! I agree so much. I love Modern Family. I think the cast is great, but seriously?!?! EVERY SINGLE PERSON!!! Geez!! I love Damon Wayans and Casey and Eliza. Heck even Elisha was the MVP this year. I just knew though that Happy Endings wouldn’t get any love because it’s different and heaven forbid we take a chance on something different…

12. Alison says:

Why can’t they split awards for network and cable shows? All the best drama nods went to cable shows. I think it’s time they spread the love a bit to network shows. I know it would mean the ceremony dragging on even longer than it does already but at least some of the network stars would get some love. Don’t get me wrong because I love Downton Abbey but Hugh Bonneville being nominated as best supporting actor over John Noble is a travesty.

• Cokes says:

The network dramas largely cannot keep up. There are a few greats, of course – Noble being chief among them – but most of the writing is not as good on network.

13. Cokes says:

How did Nick Offerman get screwed again? How? At least John Noble is in a superb field – Supporting Actor in a Drama is always a deep deep race, but Modern Family’s third season does not deserve four nominations.

14. Astrat911 says:

Amen! How does Nick Offerman get no recognition but Jon Cryer gets a nom!?! I know, I know, different category, but seriously? Also, thrilled about Max Greenfield, but no Joel McHale? No Danny Pudi? No Adam Scott? Boooo!

15. Elizabeth says:

John Noble got robbed like it was money transfer day at Bank of America. Also surprised at no nod for Dan Stevens, but the Noble snub (and also Kathy Bates; REALLY?!) is something I just cannot comprehend.

• Gwen says:

I don’t know what more John Noble can do. His lack of a nomination is egregious. And I really enjoyed Kathy Bates, even if sometimes the story lines of “Harry’s Law” were silly and not based in legal reality.

16. charlinye70 says:

Is there a reason Jon Cryer keeps getting nominated for an Emmy for Two and a half men? I mean listen, I loved him as Ducky and in some other minor roles in movies, but this show is abominable and it’s past its prime.

You’ve got to wonder who he’s paying off to keep getting nominated for that crap. Or is this a pity nomination?

• jessie higH20 says:

yeah, jon cryer and his pathetic tv whining gets nominated but jake johnson and his hilarious monologues gets snubbed. then comes robotic mayim bialik and there’s no trace of the amazing eliza coupe. jim parsons is always fantastic, even if the humor of his show is going to the dogs, but there’s no sign of the intelligently funny happy endings? wow. so baffled this year with the nominees. smh.

• sally says:

JAKE JOHNSON SHOULD HAVE BEEN NOMINATED FOR NEW GIRL TOO!!!!!

• Jen L. says:

Jake Johnson catching his tears in a mason jar. I’m still laughing. His comedy chops have grown immensely in the evolution of New Girl.

• Emily says:

hahaha I forgot about that. I just keep thinking about him folding the sweater before wading into the koi pond

17. Harry says:

Aren’t you mad that Parks and Recreation didn’t even get a comedy nod for a STELLAR season?

BECAUSE I AM.

18. LEAH says:

No Jon Bernthal for Walking Dead? Shame on the Emmys!

19. tali says:

I’m pissed about New Girl not getting a nod but Girls did? ummmm, what exactly is funny on that show? I could barely watch 2 episodes.

20. Mari says:

Stana Katic in kill shot desevers a nom…. so do some people in greys……..

21. Ray says:

No Hugh Laurie, such a joke.

22. jane-marie says:

I was hoping for much more love for P-Rec. I love Modern Family but do they have to nominate every single cast member? And John Noble is amazing. Its like 2 different actors playing Walter and Walternate.

23. Noel says:

A part of me was hoping just hoping that Fringe would get some love (John Noble, Anna Torv), but I knew it wouldn’t..sigh. I’m really happy for Dunham, but Poehler better get it this year…she’s been doing amazing work on Parks.

• Noel says:

Also…I have a feeling HBO is going to shut down these networks shows…how did Parks not get nominated or Offerman.

24. VACastlefan says:

My first thought was that apparently winning an Oscar at some point gives you Emmy street cred whether deserved or not. Don’t get me wring, Kathy Bates is a wonderful actor but that role was flat, the show was awful and that nod as a huge disservice to other worthy actors.

25. jessie higH20 says:

how the flip is bialik nominated with her annoying constant rising inflection AND stiff acting? and more importantly, how is a aupposedly respected tv critic like ausiello happy about this abomination? duh.

• jessie higH20 says:

and where is the sublimely funny eliza coupe? and the brilliant hugh laurie? just because bialik happens to have had mega exposure playing opposite 2-time emmy winner jim parsons doesn’t make her an amy poehler or a kristen wiig. ugh.

• Chiana says:

Yeah she was okay for a few episodes but should never have been brought back as a recurring character. Kaley is far more under-rated on that show, in my opinion. What she manages to do with drinking & doing laundry! Pretty much all they ever give her, and yet her snark with Jim is sparkling. Plus I’ve never forgiven Mayim for excusing Colton Crumbie’s racism and classism on the Survivor reunion. Proof that a good education and being rational are not always synonymous.

26. Wesley says:

Parks&Rec not getting an Emmy nod in the comedy series should’ve been illegal. If they can put 7 actresses in the comedy category (btw Laura Dern > Edie Falco), they could’ve done that for the series. Nick Offerman gets no love, again. I mean, I love SNL, but Nick Offerman deserved the nod WAY more than Bill Hader did. Cougar Town had its best season and yet we have to watch it get ignored and let Modern Family take all the glory, sigh. I have high hopes for this year, but the things that bum me out, are REALLY bumming me out.

27. Anthea says:

Mariska hargitay first time in forever she hasnt been nominated + one of her best seasons of svu!

• HGFM says:

Hargitay not being being nominated was a highlight of these nominations. Her work this year was truly terrible. Not that any of her performances were ever outstanding.

28. Megan says:

Very upset about Sons of Anarchy getting NOTHING…. AGAIN. Charlie Hunnam, Katey Sagal and Maggie Siff were EASILY a lock in after season 4. Again, Emmys… Go screw yourselves.

• A.Rae says:

I’m right there with you sister… When you’re an SOA fan, you prepare yourself to be disappointed every year, and the Emmys just never let you down!

29. Kymberly says:

I honestly think network & cable should be split. I’m tired of seeing the same people each year…and no SOA at all?! COME ON! I think I might boycott!

30. Harry says:

And Jeff Probst was completely shut out for hosting Survivor! Wow…that gives another person a chance!

31. wingster55 says:

Vincent Kartheiser snubbed once again.

32. Joe Davis says:

The Middle is the best-written and best-acted, most realistic comedy on TV. The complete shutout is an embarrassment to the Emmys. Also Kaley Cuoco and Simon Helberg were outstanding on Big Bang this year. Joel Kinnamon was amazing on “The Killing.” Kiernan Shipka was awesome on Mad Men.

33. tali says:

Kathryn Joosten as Karen McCluskey
    Desperate Housewives

when did I miss the announcement about DH being a comedy?

I know they wanna honor Kathryn but duuuuude!

34. Joe Davis says:

Yes, also Vincent Kartheiser. Outstanding work. Deserved a nomination. At least January Jones didn’t get one, thank God.

35. Goku says:

I’m super-pissed about no nod for Jessica Lange. Seriously, why?

• matt says:

Jessica Lange was nominated in the Best Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Movie category

• acriley12 says:

She’s got one in the miniseries supporting actress category

• aleksa says:

“AHS” is classified under the Miniseries/Movie category because it will follow a different plotline every year. It actually got more noms than just about any show.

36. matt says:

No The Good Wife nom for best drama and no Parks and Rec non for best comedy? The Emmys are a joke.

37. Wesley says:

I can’t believe Nurse Jackie is even getting nods in the first place. I mean, is there any reason any of the girls from Community, Aubrey Plaza, Casey Wilson, and Cloris Leachman didn’t deserve a nod?

38. I don’t think Masie Williams put herself forward for consideration but I still think she should have been nominated! Arya Stark was amazing this year, She deserved a supporting nom for her scenes with Charles Dane alone!

Also Parks was the best comedy this year and I’m gutted that it isn’t on the shortlist.

39. d says:

Really really really disappoint that Max didn’t get nominated. I’m aware none of his material was “comedic”, but still, IDK, it was the most powerful performance on that damn show this season. Just really like, angry, rn, lol

I am thrilled for Sherlock/Benedict/Matrin, and also for Cat Deely of SYTYCD. That makes me happy.

40. Chris says:

You are super excited that Girls got a comedy nom? What planet do you live on? That is the most over-hyped piece of garbage on my TV…. Just awful.

• JUSTICE! says:

Girls is the sh*t and you should shut up ♥

• ddutchie88 says:

Ironically, I’m probably too much of a lesbian for Girls.. I reaaally don’t get it. Like, WHY does the main character keep going back to this douche of a ‘love’ interest??? seriously.
      Anyway, go Parks and Recreation!! (Oh wait, it isn’t nominated wtf)

41. phoenix says:

What about Naya Rivera? She deserved a nomination!

• Nicole says:

Totally agree! She was the best part of Glee’s third season, despite the uneven writing and royal mishandling of most storylines :(

42. Harry says:

At least Community was nominated for best writing for “Remedial Chaos Theory.” YAY.

• Adam says:

So far, they’re doing better than last year! Let’s hope for a streak like this.

• Chiana says:

Yeah, a streak! Maybe we’ll get two nominations next year – although a little doubtful without Dan Harmon. #sixseasonsandamovieandDanHarmon

• Angela says:

That is something, at least. And an episode worthy of such a nomination, too, no less.
      Sigh. *Joins in with everyone else on the griping about what the nominations missed*

43. Chloe says:

Im trying to figure out why Caterina Scorsone from Private Practice was not nominated. She brought it in season 5. I think they should have the viewers of these shows vote whose nominated because who ever chooses clearly are blind.

• BC says:

You are absolutely right…that intervention episode was absolutely amazing along with every other epsiode she did

44. Mia says:

No Emily Deschanel ? No Bones ? o.O WTH ?? !!!

45. Hamza says:

Community WON the Critics Choice Awards but doesn’t even get nominated for Emmy?

And such lack of support for the Good Wife in Drama category and its stellar Supporting Actors?

This has to be one the worst Emmy nominations in the past decade or two.

46. kirads09 says:

* The absence of Fringe‘s John Noble. – EXACTLY!

47. jana says:

jason isaacs and awake, honestly.

48. Scott Beam says:

I am super pissed about many things with these nominations:
    1. No best drama nomination for “Good Wife” – the best drama on network tv.
    2. No love for “Happy Endings” or “Parks and Rec” – 2 of the most consistently funny comedies on television. Period.
    3. Enough with Jon Cryer and “Curb Your Enthusiasm” (when was the last time it was on – seriously.
    4. Becky from GLEE? – was hoping for a first time nomination for her as it would have been epic and well deserved.
    5. No nomination for Katey Sagal… criminal!
    6. and enough with the Betty White nominations… really?

• Greg James says:

Seriously? Curb aired within the eligibility period otherwise it wouldn’t have been nominated. Curb was at its best last season.

• Scott Beam says:

seriously – I know that it was obviously eligible… it is just past its prime and other shows should get a chance like Happy Endings, Parks and Rec, Community, etc…

• AJ says:

Curb is 1000 times funnier than Girls or Veep. It’s not past it’s prime either. Still as funny as it has every been.

49. Jared says:

Beyond pissed about PARKS AND REC!!! It’s a freaking travesty!!!! That show is 100x funnier than 30 Rock ever was, and yet nothing is thrown its way! They EMMYS are a joke!!!!!

Very happy about JLD and Veep, and Merritt Weaver for Nurse Jackie!!! And American Horror story!

50. Liliana says:

Emmys should look for another shows!! They nominee the same shows every year!! And in my opinion this shows are really overrated!! Where is Jon Noble???? I won´t watch this anymore! Everything is so predictable and boring! The only things i am rooting for is Sherlock and Game of Thrones!