Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2012: American Horror Story, Mad Men and Modern Family Lead the Pack

Emmy Nominations 2012Nominations for the 64th Primetime Emmy Awards were announced early Thursday morning by Scandal star Kerry Washington and this year’s Emmys host, Jimmy Kimmel — in his pajamas — and FX’s American Horror Story and AMC’s Mad Men led the pack with 17 total nods each.

PBS’ Downton Abbey and History’s Hatfields & McCoys followed with 16 apiece, while Modern Family was the most-nommed scripted comedy series, with 14.

Showtime’s Homeland amassed the most nominations (nine) for a freshman series, while Jon Hamm, Melissa McCarthy, Lena Dunham (as a star, director and writer of Girls) and Amy Poehler (as Parks and Rec actress and for penning an episode) are among those who netted multiple nods.

Here is the list of the nominees who were revealed on TV, to be updated imminently with the full roster of contenders in major races. Your job, as fellow TV enthusiasts, is to hit the comments with unchecked euphoria… or utter outrage. (It’s the Internet, so we’re conservatively predicting at least 60 percent “outrage.”)

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2012: Michael Ausiello’s Snappy Judgements

Melissa McCarthy, Mike & Molly
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Louis C.K., Louie
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men (*his first time in Lead race in years)
Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm

Dot-Marie Jones, Glee
Maya Rudolph, Saturday Night Live
Melissa McCarthy, Saturday Night Live
Elizabeth Banks, 30 Rock
Margaret Cho, 30 Rock
Kathy Bates, Two and a Half Men

EMMYS VIDEO | Spoiler Alert! Sizes Up the Possible Drama Series and Actors Races

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW HOST

Idris Elba, Luther
Woody Harrelson, Game Change
Clive Owen, Hemingway and Gellhorn
Bill Paxton, Hatfields & McCoys

LEAD ACTRESS IN A TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
Connie Britton, American Horror Story
Ashley Judd, Missing (*which was eligible as a miniseries)
Nicole Kidman, Hemingway and Gellhorn
Julianne Moore, Game Change
Emma Thompson, The Song of Lunch

The complete list of Emmy nominations can be found at Emmys.com.

The Emmys will be held Sunday, Sept. 23, at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. ABC is broadcasting this year’s show, with Jimmy Kimmel serving as host.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Awards, Emmys, News

1. noa says:

hen you see Adam Scott is trending on twitter on the day they announce Emmy nods- finding out that it’s about a golfer is a real bummer.

• Renee says:

But Adam Scott the golfer is really hot.

• djm says:

There needed to be room for Bill Hader(?????) on the list and God knows those Modern Family guys walk on water…

• Jess says:

adam scott was in the lead actor category. so my question is why the hell did Jon Cryer take his spot? seriously? i can’t even say jon cryer and emmy in the same sentence without cracking up!

• jenna says:

It annoys me how the men are dominating their category and that julie bowen is even nominated (when has she ever been funny on the show!?!?!??!). I’m a modern family fan but there are WAY more deserving actors/actresses. This past season was a bit of a let down

• Erika says:

This is a constant repeat of years before. Nothing new to nominate? We all know this is just a sham. Way better shows were totally shut out and it shows that network tv has really lost it, eve though the best shows were relegated to 0 noms at all! Boo to the Emmys!!!

2. John says:

NO GLEE pls

• sita says:

Hahhahhah! #sixseasonsandamovieandanemmy

• Chiana says:

#sixseasonsandamovieandDanHarmon
        Yet again, I don’t follow most of these shows. Community and Fringe shut out again. And really? Nominating Sofia (MF) and Mayim (BB) when they are both the worst part of their shows? The Emmys are totally out of touch. Doubt I will ever watch this award show again. Choices are always off base, in my opinion. I much preferred Michael’s list.

• Mcmax3000 says:

Not totally out of the question… Remedial Chaos Theory got a writing nomination.

3. RichieOnTV says:

If Jessica Paré is nominated for Lead Actress, I will go on a killing spree the likes of which this world has never seen!

4. Heelarryous says:

The Walking Dead instead of Boardwalk Empire!

5. AJ says:

Oh man Parks and Recs didn’t make it. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

6. Jemma says:

I CAN’T BELIEVE PARKS AND RECREATION GOT SNUBBED

7. Keith says:

Why no Parks and Rec for comedy. Grrrr….

8. Happy about Schmidt but where the eff is Nick Offerman???

9. Anthea says:

Mariska Hargitay was robbed! Who is Kathy Bates? C’mon people. The noms were a bit disappointing

• Olivia says:

Who is Kathy Bates, oh, only an oscar winner and fantastic actress.

• Hayley says:

Who is Kathy Bates? … Really?

• James says:

Your right about Mariska, especially since this was SVU’s strongest season in years…but Kathy Bates deserved this, and she did not deserve what NBC gave her!

• SVU’s strongest year? Really? Have you not been keeping track of their appalling ratings? Worst ratings in this history of the show were “achieved” last season. That speaks volumes. I am a die-hard fan of Mariska Hargitay and SVU was my favourite show. I’d love to see her nominated again but I don’t see it happening while the show is in this mess.

Sadly, I think SVU has seen the back of its award winning, or even good days. Personal thanks go to the arrogant, egotistical and diabolically under qualified Mr. Warren Leight. Did they really think shopping in the reduced section and bagging the show a two for the price of one deal (Pino & Giddish) was a smart move? lol. I guess now they see how wrong they were.

• Oh, and who is Kathy Bates? Is that a real question? lol. Harry’s Law? MISERY? Dolores Claiborne? Titanic? P.S. I Love You? Six Feet Under? The Blind Side? Revolutionary Road? The Office? That’s just off the top of my head, lol.

10. No Parks and Rec for best comedy??

11. Not happy with the Comedy series nominations, still the same old, the same old that lost its funny a while ago, where are the new ones like Happy endings, what does that show have to do to get recognised!?

• Jess says:

agree, let’s move 30 rock, modern family, and curb down, and move community, park&rec, and happy endings up! My only comfort is glee wasn’t nominated again. thank god. I still watch the show but it’s barely my top 15 now.

• Jess says:

to clarify: although I do think 30 rock had a much better season this year than previous years, I was still hoping for some new blood.

• Chiana says:

I can’t even watch it anymore. I am ready for Tina to move onto something fresher with a better supporting cast.

• godzilla's foil says:

We need to stop thinking of the “deserving” quality of the shows and start facing the Emmys as they are. Most nominations are done in autopilot: if it’s got good recognition in previous years, then it’ll be automatically recognized this year too, despite of anything else. It’s always the case for both good and bad shows. The second rule is, if it’s on HBO, it is automatically superior and should be considered or nominated upfront, no matter what it is. Do not expect the Emmy (or the Globes, for that matter) to be fair. Those people don’t watch anything and just go with the flow.

• jb says:

well to be fair, Veep and Girls are both new shows.

12. Bobbi says:

Really glad to see Kathy Bates get nominated for Harry’s Law. NBC was stupid to cancel it and I’m glad she was honored with a nomination.

13. Mike says:

No Parks or Offermann??? Terrible.

14. DL says:

Damian Lewis nominated for Homeland! Wooooooo!

15. AJ says:

4 slots to Modern Family for best supporting actor is excessive.

16. Megan says:

Wait… How come they didn’t announce the supporting categories? #confused

17. Saint Alicia says:

Downton Abbey stole TGW’s best drama spot–season 2 was crap!
    Yay for Julianna Margulies, Claire Danes and Elizabeth Moss though.

• Saint Alicia says:

WOOT! Archie Panjabi and Christine Baranski got noms (bummed about the lack of Josh Charles though), and glad for Christina Hendricks as well. :)

18. Olivia says:

Love that Anna Gunn got nominated, she is great in Breaking Bad!! As well as a new nom for Giancarlo Esposito!!! And nods for Aaron and Brian yay :)

19. sasha says:

Courteney is still snubbed :( what’s a shame!
    And the comedy show nominations are always the same, so disappointed

20. AJ says:

Nothing for Justified… I’m really sad now.

• M says:

I CANNOT believe that Justified did not get ONE nomination and they deserved at least three: for lead actor in a tv series; supporting lead in a tv series and outstanding tv series. This is dreadful that they were completely locked out.

• Emily says:

At least they recognized Jeremy Davies. I still can’t believe he’s the same man that played Daniel Faraday on Lost.

21. Lia says:

downton abbey! all the awards

• cjeffery7 says:

seriously! emmy showed them some sweet sweet lovin’.
      bates, carson, anna, the dowager countess (duh), robert, & lady mary? perhaps a bit excessive, but i’m such a fan girl of DA i can’t even complain.
      i think i’m gonna watch DA today… =D

22. amy says:

RAHHHH where is OUAT for best drama?!?! :(

• jb says:

I love OUAT, but unfortunately it’s not the kind of show that will ever get emmy love.

• Jess says:

i enjoy the show too, but i don’t think it’s anywhere near the level of the drama series that got nominated. (except downton abbey, which had a pretty bad season 2…)

23. julz says:

How the hell is bbt nominted over parks and rec community and louie?

24. Heather says:

Why in the world is Kathy Bates on this list????! Unreal. No Hugh Laurie either which is a really big shame since he can’t be nominated for House anymore. =(

25. Nikki says:

No love for Community. Barely any for Parks and Rec. What is with all the HBO comedies (save for Curb)? Girls and Veep were not very good IMO

• Jess says:

Community did get nominated for best writing for the remedial chaos theory episode. It’s not a lot, but at least emmy people knows the show exists! >_> ugh!

• AJ says:

That episode should at least win for writing. It’s a shame they didn’t get a best comedy nod but girls and veep did. Sigh.

26. Elena says:

No Emmy Rossum for Shameless or John Noble? Ugh.

• octopus says:

Agreed. It’s obvious no one in the Academy watched either of those shows or performers

• M says:

Emmy Rossum was magnificent in this part season’s Shameless, I just don’t understand why they keep snubbing this amazing show.

• LJ says:

I can’t wait for the next season of Shameless. It’s the best show on television from William H. Macy, to Emmy Rossum and all the other characters. Lousie Fletcher as “grammie” should have been nominated as a guest star. That show is amazing! Who are these people who makes the decisions? Their head must be someplace where they can’t see TV.

• Sampersan says:

I completely agree. Why are both Shameless, and Fringe, two of the best written and acted shows on television almost completely ignored! Doesn’t make sense! At least the recognized the brilliance of Joan Cusack!

And Edie Falco, who is wonderful.

• Emily says:

I know! The only consolation is that they will still be eligible next year… but unfortunately so will just about everyone else.

• LJ says:

Shameless is by far, the best thing on television. The entire cast, especially Emmy Rossum and William H. Macy are superb! The characters are believable from Lip to Ian. Joan Cusack is a scream..Who makes these nominations? Their heads must be somewhere where the sun doesn’t shine!

27. Brian says:

Happy for Idris Elba. He totally deserved it. Luther is a flat out amazing tv show.

• I want to be Idris says:

After everything good I heard about Luther, I finally decided to watch the first episode on Amazon Prime (both seasons should still be available and free on Amazon Prime). Yup, I lost my weekend…totally did not move from the TV. By Sunday night, I wanted to be Idris, hahaha!

• Emily says:

Ooh, I’ve got to do that. I’ve been meaning to watch it, but it’s just not talked about very often so I let it fall by the wayside.

28. Jess says:

can’t believe nick offerman and danny pudi weren’t nominated for best supporting actor in a comedy series!!!! WTF?!?! I love modern family but they don’t deserve to take 4 of the slots when there are so many other talented and hilarious actors!!!!

• GDV says:

Amen to that! Nick Offerman is hilarious and so is the ENTIRE Community cast. These nominations are bs! Grrrr…so mad!

29. Roger says:

Welcome to the AmcShoHbo awards !

30. Sasha says:

Mayim Bialik got nominated over Melissa Rauch…I’m kinda upset about that but happy that they’re actually looking at the supporting cast.

And Supporting actor is almost all Modern Family….couldn’t they have just picked like 2-3….ALL of them?

• stacey says:

I agree, Melissa Rauch deserved it so much more.

• Sasha says:

I know right?

And i was kinda hoping for a Simon Helberg Nomination too

• Jess says:

ia! simon helberg is hilarious! i still love modern family but my rage over it taking up unnecessary spots makes me like the show less.

• Sasha says:

I know.

Yes Modern Family is funny but i think choosing 2 would allow the Academy and the people to recognise the other talented and FUNNY people out there.

While I’m biased to TBBT there are other shows to show love to as well

• jb says:

I like both Mayim and Melissa. Like you, I’m glad that the supporting cast has been acknowledged. and yeah I agree about the Modern Family nominations. 4 in one category is excessive.

• Sasha says:

I like both of them myself but I prefer Melissa over Mayim only because Amy’s constant infatuation with Penny is starting to look creepy to me and not funny. It was funny in the begining but yeah :S

31. Mydoglikesbeer says:

These nominations suck! No Justified? No Parks and Rec? Ignoring the best drama AND the best comedy on TV…not to mention Timothy Olyphant’s performance. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, but I am.

32. Amadeu says:

NO GOOD WIFE?

33. Anthea says:

The emmys need to expand horizon of categories. drama has completely changed, shows like castle OUAT, Revenge and SVU all got nothing? My head is spinning

34. Carl says:

NON FOR House!! and in its last season and all! The emmys have let themselves down this year.

• Saint Alicia says:

So House deserved a pity nom simply because it ended? Hardly; the show’s been crap for years.
      And “let[ting] themselves down”? How ’bout looking more respectable; the SAGs and GGs left Hugh off last year and it’s time the Emmys caught up.

• Francesca says:

I agree too, the last two seasons especially were pitiful, and didn’t deserve any nod, IMO, even if it’s sad Laurie didn’t get an Emmy for the wonderful performance he had been giving through the years.

• Jess says:

i thought the last few episodes of house (once the show refocused around House and wilson’s friendship) was very very good, and I am a little bit sad that hugh laurie never won for his role because that man is insanely talented. But I’m looking forward to his future projects. maybe he can finally write that sequel to his book! :D

• Anthea says:

I totally agree. I dont even know if i will watch this year

35. TJ says:

No Andrew Rannells for Guest Actor in a Comedy? No Parks and Recreation? No Ashley Rickards? No Community? And altogether very few good choices? Not altogether surprising. Very happy for Girls and Meritt Wever, though.

36. AJ says:

My outrage level is at 100%.

37. whyohwhy??? says:

No Justified???? WAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

38. Deadria says:

If glee gets nominated its because of Naya end of story it was a Bad this season.

39. Lauren says:

I would have traded actresses from American Horror Story in the Female Miniseries cateorgy.

40. Lyss says:

I’m really tired of the Showtime, HBO, etc shows being nominated for Outstanding drama because I do not even watch these shows :/ I can’t watch these shows no matter how good they are!

• Emily says:

Sure you can! Granted, you have to wait almost a year after airing, but I buy the DVDs or check them out for free from the library. That’s how I watched Dexter, Shameless and Game of Thrones. They are also available on iTunes and Amazon, but I prefer something tangible if I’m going to pay for it.

41. TL says:

Happy for Max Greenfield, Bill Hader, Meritt Weaver, Mayam Bialik, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, and Community (in the writing category). However, no nomination for Parks & Rec in comedy is ridiculous.

42. haych says:

seriously parks and rec not nominated…what is this???

43. Aimee says:

Lana Parrilla and OUAT should be in there!!

• AJ says:

Being honest, I don’t get all the love for OUAT or Revenge. I watch them and like them but if you think they are on par with any of the best drama nominees you are crazy. I think OUAT maybe deserved an acting nod for Robert Carlyle but that’s about it. Every show that got nominated is exponential better in writing, acting, and production value.

• godzilla's foil says:

Sorry, Aimee, but Lana Parrilla is just terrible in both roles. Her problem is the constant overacting and this is not a Mexican soap, you know. As for OUAT, it falls in the categories “nice” and “enjoyable”, never in the “award-winning” one.

44. mantua says:

GREAT DOWNTON ABBEY LOVE, 16 (?) nominations including Best Drama Series + 6 (!) acting nods ! Acting nominations for Michelle Dockery, Hugh Bonneville, Maggie Smith, Joanne Froggatt, Jim Carter, Brendan Coyle + Best Drama Series, Best Directing, Best Writing, Best Art Direction, Casting, Costume, Editing, Hairstyling, Music Composition, Sound Mixing !

• AJ says:

Guess I gotta watch this and Luther soon seeing as how they both got a lot of recognition. Still trying to catch up on Spartacus lol

• Jess says:

I love downton abbey, but for the quality of season 2, some of these nominations are really reaching. I’m very happy about the 3 female acting nods and hugh bonneville but the show as a whole for best drama? i wish the slot was left for another…

• Emily says:

Waaay too many. I don’t even support that many nominations (at the expense of others just as deserving) for the shows I like more than Downton Abbey.

45. James says:

No American Idol for reality competition program. Surprising, but not shocking.

46. Viv says:

Yay Sarah Paulson! She stole that movie!

47. Karen says:

The Best Comedy category is seriously fuhsuwhsehmgsvjcked up! I was blindly hpoing for Community and Happy Endings (knowing it was never gonna happen), but it floored me that Parks and Rec did not get a nomination here, as did New Girl.
    Also a bit surprised not to see The Good Wife in Best Drama, but that is an extremely tough category.
    And still no John Noble! (bummed).

But really exited for Max Greenfield, Zooey Dechanel, Amy Poehler, Aaron Paul, Giancarlo Esposito, Bryan Cranston, Elisabeth Moss, Jon Hamm, Christina Hendricks, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Jimmy Fallon (for both guest-star on SNL and his show)!!!

• Jess says:

“The Best Comedy category is seriously fuhsuwhsehmgsvjcked up!”
      Couldn’t have said better myself. Where’s Parkc&Rec, Community, or Happy Endings. The actor/actress categories are also a source of mirth for me. Jon Cryer? wtf are you kidding?

48. stella says:

Girls & Veep pls. Nepotism and politics at it’s finest. Congrats to Idris though glad to see him recognized.