What to Watch Sunday: Breaking Bad Is Cooking Again, Political Animals Unleashed and More

On TV this Sunday: Breaking Bad’s final season premiere is oh-so-good, D.C. is a zoo full of Political Animals, Nate & Co. gain Leverage in a new town and Episodes puts the “fun” in funeral. Here are 10 programs to keep on your radar.

8 pm Leverage (TNT) | The Princess Bride’s Cary Elwes guest-stars (and a Serenity crew member makes a cameo) in the Season 5 premiere, which finds the gang working from a new home base: Portland, Oregon. (Read our preview Q&A with Aldis Hodge.)

PREVIEW | Matt’s Inside Line Has Scoop on Tonight’s Falling Skies Reunion

9 pm True Blood (HBO) | Pam breaks up a vamp-girl fight at Fangtasia and has some nice words for tenacious little Tara. Aww. (Get caught up on our absurd amount of True Blood scoop from Comic-Con!)

9 pm Drop Dead Diva (Lifetime) | Jane’s devastated by something Teri and Stacy discover about Owen. Twin Peaks beauty Madchen Amick guest-stars.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s On When? And Versus What?

10 pm Breaking Bad (AMC) | In the Season 5 premiere, anti-hero Walt has to deal with the aftermath of the Casa not-so-Tranquila explosion. Meanwhile, Hank works to wrap up his investigation of the deceased Gus Fring’s empire.

10 pm Political Animals (USA Network) | The premiere of this “limited series” from Brothers & Sisters’ Greg Berlanti introduces us to a Secretary of State (Sigourney Weaver) whose philandering ex-husband/ex-president and kids with issues are a serious threat to her political career. And don’t even get us started on the reporter tailing her! Get acquainted with all of the key players here.

10 pm Longmire (A&E) | Vic’s husband is home for a rare visit, and he’s not pleased about her relationship with Walt. Elsewhere, Branch’s dad learns something that could jeopardize Walt’s campaign. Soap vet Stacy Haiduk (The Young and the Restless, All My Children) guest-stars.

10 pm The Newsroom (HBO) | Maggie fixes Jim up with her roommate, Lisa. It’s Don’s idea. Are you surprised?

10 pm Army Wives (Lifetime) | Sophie’s home from boarding school, and things are a little icy between her and mom Jackie. Elsewhere, Tanya fears for her career when an arrogant M.D. blames her for almost causing a patient’s death.

10 pm Weeds (Showtime) | When she realizes that Shane is going after Tim for trying to kill her, Nancy tries to stop her son from doing something he’ll regret.

10:30 pm Episodes (Showtime) | Matt and the gang attend Merc’s father’s funeral — where a secret that Sean has been keeping threatens to spring to life.

1. Forget those God-awful shows – True Blood and Falling Skies, I’m looking at you. Breaking Bad and Political Animals in addition to The Newsroom? Ah, Sundays have meaning again. :D

2. Templar says:

Masterpiece Mystery live, Glades later. I’m over Longmire already, SS different location.

3. Carmen says:

Who decided to put Breaking Bad and Political Animals in the same time slot?!?! Watching Breaking Bad. DVR’ing Political Animals. So excited.

4. Jenn says:

I am so freaking excited Leverage is FINALLY back!!!!! This is my favorite show hands down….. Time to steal ourselves another season!

5. Nick says:

The Great Escape & Disney Shows or Big Bang repeats

6. MaryAnn says:

You left TNT’s “Falling Skies” off the list? Shame on you! That’s definitely a must!

And the other one you left off is the new REELZ series “XIII.” It debuts on Fridays but who can watch tv on Friday? The week’s episode repeats at 7PM and 11PM. on Sundays. The series parallels the “Bourne” plot, except it’s done much more effectively in terms of making the character human and someone we can relate to and care about. Stuart Townsend does a wonderfully effective job as the man taking one more step each week toward finding the identity that was stolen from him. The network show it most reminds me of? “Person of Interest.”. Very human characters in a very inhuman world.

At any rate, my very crowded Sundays are rounded out with “Longmire,” and “True Blood,” along with a strong desire to check out the very tantalizing-sounding “Political Animals.” Thank goodness for the shows that repeat at 11PM and the on-line showings for those of us without a DVR.

7. portiaslegacy says:

So excited about Political Animals premier.

8. Brandy says:

Drop Dead Diva

9. kiks says:

Looking forward to Political Animals and the return of great story-telling by Greg Berlanti!

10. Lani says:

Leverage, Drop Dead Diva, True Blood, Political Animals, The Glades, Longmire ….. the problem is what to watch live at 9pm and 10pm :=]

11. bobbie says:

Leverage, True Blood, The Newsroom, Episodes

12. cjeffery7 says:

sunday’s the only day worth reading “What To Watch” in these doldrum summer months. thank you HBO & the rest of cable.

13. Britta Unfiltered says:

Was so excited about Breaking Bad, I nearly forgot The Newsroom is on too! Already watched Episodes. Will get to Weeds sooner or later.

14. Eric Vamplover says:

Oh Geezz!
    And yes, THANK GOD FOR INTERNET, RE-SHOWS, And Replays during the week.

Sadly, WWE is on PPV at 8:00 Pm.

So I will be Missing… <3 True Blood <3 -But I get HBO East & West (Shaw Direct, Formerly Starchoice.) And it is replayed at 11:00PM & 2:00AM. -There might be times I am missing though.

And miss out on ★BREAKING BAD★ It replays at 11:45PM on Amc. From what I remember -I put Timers on both.

And WEEDS! It is STILL on? WOW! What Channel would it be on for Shaw Direct for The Region of Peel? (Brampton, Ontario, Canada.).

And The Newsroom, sometimes. But I DISLIKE THE WAY (Jeff?) The Reporter made a RACIAL Joke!
    If the Show gets rid of Maggie and that Loser-Waste-OF-TIME! "Boyfriend" or just the Boyfriend and Maggie Dates Jim. I would Watch it more!

I JUST *HATE* Relationships that are off-and-on-again ones!
    H-E-L-L-O!!!!! REALITY CHECK! IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME! MOVE ON!

-I know from my Younger Years… If only I knew what I know now BACK THEN… I wouldn't of Wasted MY Time!.