Criminal Minds' Matthew Gray Gubler Inks New Two-Year Deal

Get More: Contract Talks, News

Criminal Minds Cast Season 8In a move that fans of Criminal Minds‘ Dr. Reid will think is sheer genius, Matthew Gray Gubler has signed a new two-year deal that will keep him with the CBS crime procedural, sources confirm to TVLine. (Our sister site Deadline first reported the news.)

PHOTOS AND VIDEO | Fall TV Preview — Your Guide to What’s New

Although his contract was up at the end of last season, showrunner Erica Messer was very optimistic that Gubler — who plays the super-intelligent Dr. Reid, a fan favorite — would return to the series. “He’s such a staple of the show,” she told TVLine in May. “He really loves to play his sweet, vulnerable, smart Reid. … If Matthew was going in that direction [of leaving], I think he’s the kind of guy who would have said so.”

Still, Season 8 will be full of cast changes. Big Love‘s Jeanne Tripplehorn will join the drama as a series regular, filling the void left by departing cast member Paget Brewster, who chose not to return after her contract expired with the May finale. Tripplehorn’s new profiler will be introduced in the premiere.

Comments (41)

• I love Matthew! He is perfect!!!!

Comment by Marla – June 25, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matthew is the reason I watch. but if he were to leave, I would discontinue watching it.

Comment by Silvas – July 2, 2012 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If Matthew leaves I’ll die he’s the ONLY reason I and most of my friends watch he’s leaves and the rating are going th go down by billions

Comment by Katherine – November 16, 2013 09:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love everyone on the show, but if he were to leave, I would discontinue watching it. Glad they agreed on a new contract.

Comment by Cathy – June 25, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so glad he’ll be back (I would have stopped watching if he left!). It’s so nice to not have all the contract drama that went on last year with this show.

Comment by Ashley – June 25, 2012 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It would not be the same show without him! I’m so happy MGG is coming back to Criminal Minds!

Comment by SamS – June 25, 2012 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy they finally signed a new deal, I was getting worried. I really hope we’ll see more of Reid in the next season, he’s a fan favorite but he’s the character we see the less, what’s up with that?

Comment by AnnClauC – June 25, 2012 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! We need to see more Reid this season! He all but disappeared for the second half of season 7!

Comment by SamS – June 25, 2012 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I was getting worried that he wasn’t going to come back. Now, hopefully they will actually use him more.

Comment by Sara – June 25, 2012 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So, the cast’s fully signed now? (Except for Brewster, of course) Good! Reid’s not my favorite, and I would not stop watch if he left (CM is my *favorite* show, I wouldn’t stop watching it if anyone left), but I’m glad he’s staying. I like his character.

I’m excited to see what the new female character will bring. I hope she’s fun and funny and really smart, and has A LOT of personality, kind of like Jo in CSI:NY :)

Comment by Barbie Furtado – June 25, 2012 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad MGG will be back. Now if he could only convince a Paget to come back….

Comment by Jules – June 25, 2012 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I follow TV stuff pretty closely, but this is the first I’m hearing about his contract… was there doubt on it at one point? I remember there was some stuff with Thomas Gibson not too long ago but that was about it.

This is the only procedural I’ve ever watched long-term and that’s mostly because of the cast and the fact that the writers understand it’s that cast and the characters that separate them from the other “stock” shows out there…. The fact that they have such great group dynamics and the fact that the stories are (typically) really different and well-crafted is why I keep watching…

Comment by Matt – June 25, 2012 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray! That’s great news. My friends will be happy to hear this as well.

Comment by Angela – June 25, 2012 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!!

Comment by Kel – June 25, 2012 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news! Reid is my fav character and I’d definitely stop watching if MGG left. We just need to see MORE of Reid his season, he faded out last season and it was definitely noticed! We want our Reid!! :)

Comment by Ria – June 25, 2012 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I literally yelled!

Comment by Beth – June 25, 2012 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t say I’d have lost any sleep if he’d left – he’s basically like their version of Data from Star Trek, just as Garcia is Abby-lite.
    Personally I’d much rather have more of Hotch, Rossi, JJ & Morgan than them – these are the “proper cops” of the show IMO.

To each their own though, I’m not gonna criticise anyone for liking Reid or Garcia, I just think they bring little to the show, other than extremely far fetched computer work & always having statistical answers for everything.

Comment by Brian Gilmour (@TheFifthDoctor) – June 26, 2012 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he’s not meant to be as ‘cop like’ as the others, he’s a geographical and linguistics profiler. the ‘real’ behavioral profilers don’t go out into the field.

Comment by bobobob – June 26, 2012 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • bobobob : totally agree with you . I love the fact that Reid is different and not an alpha male. With Hotch, Morgan and Rossi we have enough alpha males on the show, Reid doesn’t need to turn into one.
        I love to see him working on geographic profiles, as well as linguistic profiles.

We haven’t seen Reid doing a complete linguistic profile in a very long time, and the last time the writers put emphasis on a geographic profile was during “Into the Woods”.
        I hope season eight will show us more of that.

Comment by Dana – June 26, 2012 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t ever want to imagine CM without Garcia or Reid – What would we have to balance off all that testosterone and super cop stuff. Wasn’t the BAU supposed to be doing more brain work, and less tough cop stuff anyway? Guns and muscle are needed, but so is levity and keen intelligence, Reid and Garcia have that in good measure.

Comment by Wheatlandy – August 31, 2012 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To each their own – I love Dr. Reid and Garcia for those very reasons you dislike them! :) Eccentric characters are always more fun than the so-called “normal” ones. They are my favourite characters on the show, although a lot of people just want to see the “tough guys and pretty boys”. The smart folks behind the scenes are what help get things done – muscle and brute force does not always do it!

Comment by Deborah – September 26, 2012 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to hear this. I wasn’t too worried, but still this is relieving news.

Comment by Justin – June 26, 2012 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes!!!! such good news.

Comment by Elyse – June 26, 2012 04:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very welcome news. Matthew is the reason I watch. More screen time for him – PLEASE. I hope he directs again too. His “Heathridge Manor” episode rocked.

Comment by kirads09 – June 26, 2012 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gubler!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay that is my man I love him and his character!!

Comment by Ashley – June 26, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, “full of cast changes” ??? I count one. Is there something we should know?

Comment by ultimate troll – June 26, 2012 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good News! I like the character of Dr. Reid, so super smart, and genuine, and humble. It would be nice to see him have more screen time. He is a fan favorite for sure.. Wonder how the newbie cast member will fit into the dynamic of this great cast. Paget B. will be missed for sure but I thought that her exit was written well.. gives room for guest appearances from time to time.

Comment by Rosie – June 29, 2012 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love gulber he is so hot i think i hould cry if he left and i would not watch the show so im so glad his not leaving.

Comment by rose – July 22, 2012 03:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mgg is my life i would kill for him i have an idea for an episode its about ried geting a girlfriend lila archer and shes changing him and the team as to stop her while thier on a case. i have more ideas and im just ten i live in munford alabama 33 rolling hill ln or 9 valley road i would love it if u came over matthew gg rrrrruuuuuulllllllleeeeeeeesssssssss.

Comment by caitlin lathem – July 26, 2012 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Caitlin sweetie don’t give out your address or personal information for the world to see!!

Comment by Lisa – September 27, 2012 12:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to say that although not my usual type his character dr reid really has me hooked! A man with a perfect face and brains too..wow. a fan from england wants to thank u.

Comment by tarnya – August 24, 2012 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • there is so many episodes, im only on the 5 series. i wont get to watch the 8th series for ages because i live in England. i love spencer reid, he is like a nicer version of sherlock.

Comment by Emma – August 31, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • does anyone know when the 8th series is coming on

Comment by Emma – August 31, 2012 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad reid is staying around wish he had more face time. Iheard season finale is sept18 a7.love reid he’s a hunk. But Derek morgan is my guy.

Comment by Pixie – September 3, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad to hear that MGG is returning for the season. The show just wouldn’t be the same without him. I will miss Paige too though.

Comment by DD – September 14, 2012 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MGG is my favorite! I’d probably still watch if he left, but he’s definitely the #1 reason I tune in!

Comment by Brooks – September 24, 2012 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank

Comment by lingjiang – October 11, 2012 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All the cast combine to make the program great but Reid makes the program unique.

Comment by Criminal Minds Cast – December 3, 2012 10:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reid is like the only reason I watch crimmanl minds. I think he is the best actor on the entire set

Comment by Jonathan miller – January 8, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im thrilled MMG is here..I dnt want him to leave..I love this show and he is a huge part of it..but after tonight epi jan 16th..Im nervous!!! What a show!!!! My jaw fell open!!! Great directing as I didnt see it coming..keep up the good work!! Dnt recast..they are great they way they are!!! <3

Comment by pryncesdrgnfly – January 16, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Reid, but I love the show more. If one character leaving makes you stop watching you do not love the show. All of the characters contribute to its’ success.

Comment by Amy – January 16, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post