NCIS: LA's Daniela Ruah and Eric Christian Olsen Talk Marriage (Short Shorts and PDAs Included)

Get More: Interviews, Previews

Daniela Ruah and Eric Christian Olsen are huddled very close together, and things are starting to get extremely warm.

That’s because the NCIS: Los Angeles scene partners have gathered in the tiny non-air-conditioned bathroom of an L.A. apartment building, down the hall from where their next scene from the CBS drama is setting up. There, they are hovering over a publicist’s cell phone to speak with TVLine about the episode airing this Tuesday at 9/8c, in which Deeks and Kensi pose as husband and wife to suss out a Russian sleeper cell in a suburban nabe.

Again, the quarters were cramped and the heat index high during this 2-on-1, so if they seem to get punchy… well, that’s married life for ya.

TVLINE | It was back in January when Shane Brennan first told me about this “married” episode. Were you filled with anticipation waiting to see the actual script?
ERIC CHRISTIAN OLSEN | [Sarcastically] I was so excited I’ve hardly been able to sleep.
DANIELA RUAH | Eric wishes we were a married couple, so this is the only way he’s ever going to get it. [Laughs]
OLSEN | Wow. Gee, that’s a fantastic quote. Let’s use that.
RUAH | Fine, Eric – “I love you.”
OLSEN | Use that, too! I think it’s awesome because it’s a pretty big departure from a lot of the episodes that we’ve done, and yet it drives storyline as these two characters are forced to go undercover and play this married couple. And there’s a great speech from Hetty that talks about how the dynamic changes just based on proximity, which is true. There are some pretty fantastic scenes between the characters that are really fun to play. The end result is fulfilling as far as what the audience wants.
RUAH | I’ve been told by people who’ve seen the final edited version that there’s more comedy involved than in other episodes. There’s definitely a different tone.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line Has Scoop on the NCIS: LA ‘Marriage’ Aftermath

TVLINE | What can you say about “Melissa” and “Justin,” the personae they create for themselves?
RUAH | Honestly, Kensi has an immense amount of fun with this. She’s playing a character that she’s probably not really ever go to be in real life, because she’s an agent. We have a very sort of Desperate Housewives-like lifestyle, we’re very couple-y, there are cute dresses, she bakes cookies for her neighbor…. Plus she just loves undercover work. So she’s having fun with it, and at some point she talks about how she thought she’d hate being a “married “couple, and it turns out she’s enjoying it — and it might be something she wants in the future.
OLSEN | Mostly because she’s in love with Deeks.
RUAH | Ha!
OLSEN | We find out that my character loves running in short shorts — because, yeah, that happens. I decided as a character choice that I’m go to run around the neighborhood to do surveillance but I’m not go to wear traditional shorts. I’m going to go with the short shorts.
RUAH | They’re not that short.
OLSEN | They’re pretty short. I’m showing a lot of thigh. What, you wanted them shorter?
RUAH | No, I think they should have been Spandex.
OLSEN | It’s fun, because Deeks definitely sees opportunities to kind of push it, the relationship, because it’s under these false circumstances. He kind of puts her into positions that lead to some pretty interesting things that would never happen in real life.

TVLINE | That was my next question. What lines of intimacy need to be crossed as part of keeping this cover?
OLSEN | There’s initially an argument because you’ve got to sleep in the same bed, because if [the bad guys] have any sort of heat sensors or cameras or microphones planted or something…
RUAH | …we have to play a married couple all the way, as far as anyone else is able to see. So obviously within that there are…
OLSEN | … a lot of lines to be crossed.
RUAH | Huge lines. And they’re crossed.
OLSEN | By both characters.
RUAH | Deeks is pretty cheeky, but I agree – lines are crossed by both characters for sure.
OLSEN | You say “cheeky,” some would say “charming.”
RUAH | Cheeky, charming, tomato, tomahto.

PHOTOS | Exclusive NCIS: LA Finale First Look: Um, Why Is Hetty at the Morgue?!

TVLINE | Are there plentiful PDA moments for “Densi” fans to enjoy?
RUAH | I don’t think we should reveal any of that.
OLSEN | You don’t want to talk about the PDA moments?
RUAH | I want the audience to be surprised.
OLSEN | But by saying that they’re going to be surprised, doesn’t that mean there will be some? Isn’t that what you’re hinting at?
RUAH | No, not at all. [She pauses] OK, I get smacked in the butt once, by Deeks.
OLSEN | That wasn’t the moment I was talking about.
RUAH | And she doesn’t punch him in return!
OLSEN | But that’s what we’re talking about, the circumstances that make it impossible for her to do what she’d normally do. Because if we weren’t undercover, she’d knock him out! He knows she has to play that role, and in turn there’s something that Kensi does to Deeks that completely throws him, and it will leave a lasting impression with everybody who watches.

TVLINE | Turning serious-ish, will this fuel any real talk between the two of them? Do they have a “moment” at the end of all of this?
RUAH | There’s a moment where they’re sitting down on the couch and Deeks brings her a bag of frozen peas because she got hurt, and that’s when she talks about what I said before – how she thought she would hate all of this. But she actually likes it. It’s comforting and nice. So there are definitely moments where they get serious with each other.
OLSEN | I think the best version of a relationship as it matures is two characters that are kind of discovering each other and themselves through that relationship, and this is a good example of that. Every episode has elements of that, and obviously some are more light-hearted, but even in those we put our defenses down and you see who these characters are at the end of the day.
RUAH | Or even who you would like to be. You live a certain lifestyle, and then you see this other lifestyle, and it becomes something that they may want in the future — with or without each other.

Comments (50)

• Oh, it’s so… cliched.

Comment by Pepper – May 8, 2012 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate to join the Grammar Police, but do you mean cliché? While this story line has been certainly used before, it’s the characters that make it interesting, and these two are great together.

Comment by suzi – May 8, 2012 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If anyone did watch it I liked it wen Justin (Deeks) walked in on Kensi after her shower and He took his pants off!! And when Deeks almost shot the little boy!

Comment by Liz – May 21, 2012 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I could see these two getting together and then Kensi Hunsband showing up

Comment by Michael – May 8, 2012 04:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it would be great if they (characters ) did get together, it would be great writing material… hey Check out CIS.NY there are two character that are married..

Comment by Jonathan – May 10, 2012 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know! Did you see the season finale!?

Comment by Liz – May 21, 2012 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Very good. I guess we have to wait for next season to find out what happened

Comment by Jonathan – May 23, 2012 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah. I fell asleep at the end. What happened. And i missed 12min of beging!

Comment by Liz – May 23, 2012 02:05 PM PDT
  • Can’t wait!!! :)

Comment by katy917 – May 8, 2012 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wow i cant wait for this episode, this one will be very great

Comment by egli – May 8, 2012 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ohh… I love these too as much as Kensi and Deeks. Dani & ECO’s are almost as fun as their characters. can’t wait for this episode ;)

Comment by Gi (@MissAlesig) – May 8, 2012 04:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very much looking forward to this episode!!

Comment by Toni – May 8, 2012 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch the show for these 2 people. Very nice combo and she is so freakin beautiful

Comment by Bobby – May 8, 2012 05:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the interview. Can not wait for this episode

Comment by Anna – May 8, 2012 05:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s some characters I have wanted to see get together (Booth and Bones, Castle and Beckett) and there’s some characters I NEVER want to see get together (DiNozzo and Ziva, Kensi and Deeks). I know they are undercover but I really don’t like where this can head.

Comment by Lord Vader III – May 8, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what is pda ?

Comment by pilo – May 8, 2012 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still can’t get enough of seeing more of that smokin’ hot Kensi Blye. :-)

Comment by bad kevin – May 8, 2012 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so looking forward to this episode, I love these two, they’re hilarious and amazing together, and it’s always so much fun to read interview of Daniela and Eric, they’re so like their characters lol.

Comment by Dominique – May 8, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Public Display of Affection

Comment by sox – May 8, 2012 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait!! I like this two too much!! Densi fans are dying right now!! :D:D Watch NCISLA tonight!!!!

Comment by Yaiza – May 8, 2012 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is by far goin to be the MOST Rpic Densi Ep Hands Down… :D

Comment by Lamiesp – May 8, 2012 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cant wait to see what happens. and how Kensi gets hurt and what Deeks does to whoever hurts her???

Comment by pally – May 8, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show ROCKS, I love all the Cast they are very Talented People, Can’t wait to watch tonight.

Comment by Leslie Hollenga – May 8, 2012 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cant wait for it sounds preety AMAIZING

Comment by joy elsie – May 8, 2012 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Kensi and Deeks should hook up and Erica and Nell should finally get hitched……there is alot of teasing going on in this show

Comment by matt – May 8, 2012 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE LOVE LOVE D & k. Cannot WAIT to see this episode. :)

Comment by Cindi – May 8, 2012 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see this! I hope we get full support of all fans in the show. I’m just not talking about Densi fans, of course others as well like CaKe, G fans, Deeks, Sams, Nell, Eric, Nate, or even Hetty’s fans.

We all know that NCISLA needs all the support and help they can get.

If we want the show to succeed,
    If we want the show to last,
    If we want the show get high ratings,
    If we want the show to trend,

let’s talk about in twitter, fb, tumblr, instagram, via.me,
    Make hashtags like this #NCISLA.
    We’re doing this because we love the show.
    Even if we don’t get what we want all the time in the show.

The writers are there to listen.
    Remember? They took Lauren Hunter off the eps as fast as the speed of light.

I trust the writer’s plan of the show, and I don’t want them to compromise their writing.

I hope all of NCISLA fans will help the show get high ratings to succeed.

The cast of the show, writers, creators, producers, all staff and actors, Danni, ECO, Chris, LL, Barett, Renee, and Miss Linda Hunt, they did their best and their part to make the show get high ratings and to last. They work very hard for it. It’s time we do our part. I hope a lot of fans can get to read this.

I hope NCISLA fans would reunite the way fans from other shows do. Even if the preferences, likes, and dislikes we have are not the same. I hope we can put our differences aside and make the show we love succeed and last.

I always love Caitlin Todd in NCIS but I never stopped watching. I supported the show even if Kate is gone.

If you l

Comment by Unknown – May 8, 2012 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agreed. The show is a lot of fun to watch especially with Kensi and Deeks. All the antics and teasing makes for good come backs just to see what happens. The showis great.

NCIS- I liked the show with Katlin, but now she’s gone. I like it better with Zeva.

Comment by Allie – May 9, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG. All these spoliers. I cannot physically wait. Whooooooooo!!!! ♥

Comment by Ali – May 8, 2012 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tuesday night is the best night on TV, all 3 shows are great. They have cast the characters very well, and they all have the chemistry needed to make it work!

Comment by Judy – May 8, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m pretty sure I read this exact story in a fanfic once. (Wait, should I be embarrassed that I just revealed I’m one of *those* people?)

Lovely interview, by the way! I’m looking forward to seeing the episode.

Comment by Ace – May 8, 2012 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This episode is gonna be so epic! I don’t expect them to get together by the end of this season, but I hope this episode sets Deeks and Kensi up to being an actual couple in season 4. :)))))

Comment by Steve – May 8, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope every #NCISLA fan Watches tonight, even if they’re not very fond of this relationship. Just remember, it’s just a undercover story. It’s not like Deeks and Kensi are getting together anytime soon. I don’t want them together right now, maybe on Season 5… But I love those 2… LOVE LOVE them ;) KEEKS rocks

Comment by Ariel – May 8, 2012 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to watch it now

Comment by Lisa Essington – May 8, 2012 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Although Chris O’donnell is my favorite in this show I enjoying watching Kensi and Deeks. Deeks gets on my nerves sometimes I have to admit. Does everyone realize that if they really get together or get married, they won’t be able to work together anymore. They would have to hide their relationship.

Comment by Charmaine Devenny – May 8, 2012 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is incorrect, NCIS agents are allowed to have intimate relationships, Tony mentioned it once in normal NCIS, he said that there are even married agents who are partners. I assume they made sure to mention this so that if Tony and Ziva got together then there would be no backlash. Different show, but same agency and therefore same rules. If they got together, it may be frowned upon but would not be breaking any rules and they would not have to hide it, although I suspect that they would try anyway, to avoid tensions. But good luck trying to get it past Hetty, she’d know about it before anything even happened!

Comment by katy917 – May 8, 2012 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gibbs does not allow intimate relationships within his team (as mentioned when Tony was seeing the agent who went missing…can’t remember the exact episode.)

Comment by Chobbo's Grrandmom – May 9, 2012 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, I know GIBBS won’t – it’s rule #12 “Never date a co-worker!!
          The point I was making is that the AGENCY has no rule stating this.
          As Gibbs has absolutely NO say in what happens with Hetty’s team, and as the agency allows it, then there is hope for Densi fans. They CAN date and still be partners.

Comment by katy917 – May 9, 2012 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for this interview. They are so much fun, just like their characters.

Comment by diana – May 8, 2012 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oommmggg i cant wait!! but where i live i have to wait like a week or two before i can see the show:( like we only got to watch the cross-over of ncis la and hawaii 5-o a couple of days ago

Comment by Abby – May 8, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • reminds me of that Episode on NCIS in season 2 with Tony and Ziva and also Chuck and Sarah with the suburbs episode. i love all these episodes!

Comment by Bernadine – May 9, 2012 01:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is actually MOST like Alias, when Sydney and Vaughn went under cover in suburbia, as they were also up against the Russians. There was also an X Files episode where Mulder and Scully went under cover in suburbia lol. Point is, it happens quite a lot, and I always really enjoy the episodes when it does ;) (also, if it was Tony and Ziva, then it wasn’t season 2, fyi)

Comment by katy917 – May 9, 2012 02:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG I thought it was sooo cute how they remembered what they were wearing when they actually did first meet each other at that gym. <3 <3 Densi <3 <3

Comment by NcisNcisLaFanatic – May 9, 2012 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I LOVE densi! Daniela Ruah and Eric Olsen, i mean, Kensi and Deeks are made for each other! I Saw the last episode of season 5 ( big brother) and that was disappoiting becouse densi was not refered…:-( I seriosly hope that in episode 7, 8… kensi realise that she loves deeks, and that deeks tell her that he love her! And now Ruah is pregnant, and that makes things even more interesting!

Comment by jjjccc – October 30, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post