Leonard Nimoy and John Noble Tease Fringe Finale - Plus Check Out the Wild New Trailer

As Leonard Nimoy recalls of his previous Fringe run (which closed Season 2), “The [William] Bell character was unresolved. We didn’t quite know whether to trust him or what his intentions really were.”

Well, given the events of Season 4’s penultimate episode, I think we can file this genius scientist under “Not trustworthy.”

RECAP | Fringe Shockers! David Robert Jones’ Boss Is Revealed! And Did Astrid Die?!

As Fringe regular John Noble notes in this video sitdown with Nimoy, Bell, for whom David Robert Jones had been toiling, “has taken control completely… and I think he’s completely insane at this point.” The challenge for Walter, who was captured by ol’ Belly at the end of last Friday’s episode, is to try to fight back despite knowing “I can’t beat him…. He’s holding all the cards.” Including, we’d like to hope, one that could save gunned-down Astrid’s life.

Press PLAY below to hear Nimoy and Noble reflect on their Fringe collaborations past and present, and tune in for the Season 4 finale this Friday at 9/8c.

As an added bonus, we’ve included the eye-popping, full-length version of last week’s redacted movie-style trailer for the big episode. And is it just our geeky selves, or does that one “outdoors” scene and dialogue evoke Star Trek II‘s Genesis cave-meets-Terra Nova?

1. Jo says:

His return will go down as one of the best kept secrets in tv history.

2. Steven says:

The reason he’s holding all the cards is because Castle and Beckett just put them all on the table.

Seriously though, “Fringe” has really been firing on all cylinders this season, and bringing back William Bell was a master stroke. David Robert Jones was a great bad guy, but like Henry said last episode, he just wasn’t smart enough to be doing the things he’s doing. Genius? Yes. SUPER-Genius, Wiley Coyote style?

3. Emma says:

I was completely blown away when Bell appeared. I love these two men together; I am excited to see their interactions this Friday. I will miss Jones, though. He was always a spectacular villain.

4. Emily says:

I think my jaw dropped. For all of the “We’ve erected a sign outside of Leonard Nimoy’s door and we hope that by the time Season 5 rolls around he’ll agree to come back” talk by the showrunners… well played. Very well played.

5. firstroyal says:

Isnt he the ALT-Billy? since the other billy died i figured that he was the over there guy

• venningp says:

He died in the other timeline. In this timeline seasons 1,2 and 3 happened differently. It is explained that he faked his death in car accident in this timeline because he was dying of cancer.

The Alternate-William died when he was young in both timelines.

6. ScrubsGuy says:

Since we’re in the “yellow” timeline now, this isn’t the same Bell who helped the Walter & Co on the other side (i.e. “red” universe in the original timeline) get back, right? I was confused when they referenced all of those scenes from season 2 – this evil Bell is akin to Walternate from the original timeline, so it’s not like Bell has always been a megalomaniac – otherwise, why would he help Olivia and Walter at the cost of his own life (season 2 finale, season 3 LSD)?

7. Amanda says:

Can’t wait to see these two actors share some scenes again

8. I love Fringe, but I would love it more, if they completed a story before moving on to something else. What about the other timeline??? Are we ever going to get the rest of the Fringe team, remembering Peter? They just press forward, without fleshing out the past. Thank God, it’s great television.

9. Spock says:

Leonard Nimoy announced he’d retired from acting in 2010. He’s done this. I read he’s back in the 2013 “Star Trek” sequel. He’s done a voice for animation. I guess he did a “Sinatra” without announcing it.

10. Ben says:

I hope that what Nimoy’s return signals is that they have a done deal for season 5. I have always hoped that Bell would figure into the end game of the show.

• Ben says:

Also, the showrunners said ‘once you have seen the full extent of everything, you will know why we are not writing ourselves into a corner’ – that in response to questions that they were heading in a direction that would need Bell to conclude properly. Well, I guess we know why now.

11. steve says:

You could actually tell he’s back for the sequel because of his eyebrows…they are half shaved so they can have the fake upwards angle. I didn’t here he was back but when I saw him I knew he was in the sequel.

12. sladewilson says:

One of the all time best kept TV secrets. When he appeared, I was like – “Man, I love those Fringe cats – they know how to actually surprise you!!!” Oh yeah – Astrid better not be dead or… well use your imagination….

13. Jones says:

I LOVE FRINGE!!!!!! Welcome back, Spock!

14. Kaa says:

I was feeling a little iffy about last week’s episode but this promo rocks my socks! When it comes to mad scientists, William Bell is HARDCORE! Poor Walter is just an ordinary nut job compared to him!

15. cjeffery7 says:

wait whoa whoa WHAT? DINOSAURS?!!!

16. fringeobsessed says:

Nice, Matt. I was totally thinking the same thing in the outdoors scene!

17. JoshJacksononOnceuponatimefan says:

I love that Bell is back. This show just keeps getting better and better. They never stop surprising me and keeping me on the edge of my seat.

18. trish says:

Great storytelling! We’ve wondered for years about the intentions of William Bell, and whether Walter Bishop can defeat him or not doesn’t matter. It’ll be incredible, INCREDIBLE to see what John Noble and Leonard Nimoy do on-screen.

Noble is one of the finest actors working today — movie or TV. Period.

• Pickelbarrael says:

Yeah yeah j

• Pickelbarrael says:

Yeah yeah John noble is soooooo talented, how many times do I have hear it. We.freaking.get.it.

• Ken says:

TRISH– I am in total agreement with you about John Noble, this man along with the beautiful Anna Torv should be winning awards every year. This is something i have been watching for sometime.and i have come to the conclusion, sadly, that there is an apparent biassed against foreign actors. Now i know some may not like what i have said,but to me it’s quite evident.Even some of Josh Jackson (one of my fav)haters does not like him just because he is Canadian.Again sadly to say, i have seen post on this forum complaining that Fring main cast is made up of only foreigners.Sad,sad indeed.
      I do wish and hope that my perception is wrong,this we do not need,we should be enjoying great acting no matter ware the actors are from.

• Adanzante says:

It really has very little to do with them being foreign actors; it has everything with them being in the sci-fi genre. The awards very rarely recognize actors on sci-fi type shows. They are usually seen as being in a cult genre, not as mainstream.

19. Tony says:

There seems to be a backwards message at the end of that promo…has anyone deciphered it?