Grey's Anatomy Preview: Jesse Williams Talks Jackson, April, Lexie and the 'Bittersweet' Finale

That was not the all-nighter Grey’s Anatomy‘s Jackson Avery had in mind for the night before the oral boards.

On the eve of the Seattle Graces residents’ eventful exams, Jackson found himself hitting the sheets instead of the books, with The Virgin April Kepner. Jesse Williams previewed for TVLine the awkward aftermath for that twosome as well as revealed why Lexie might always be a part of Jackson’s life.

RELATED | Exclusive: Grey’s Anatomy Admits 24‘s Mary Lynn Rajskub, Lost Alum Patrick Fischler

TVLINE | So, impromptu romp aside, how did the oral boards go for Jackson?
We’re going to find out in a minute. It’s really taxing on him even without the unexpected sexual experience with April and the bar fight and that stuff. It’s like, “The pressure better not get to me but it kind of is. And also my grandfather’s in one ear and my mom’s in the other.” This expectation is I have to not only pass them, but ace them. I have to be spectacular. But it’s fun to have him shaken up; he’s usually very steely and handles pressure in the moment very, very well, like during the shooting in Season 6.

TVLINE | It’s out there that one of the residents failed. Without naming names, were you surprised to see who it was?
I was absolutely surprised to see that anybody failed. But I get why. It makes it really interesting because it’s not simply, “Oh, crap, somebody failed. We’ll start a new episode next week.” This is going to have real ripple effects not only for that person but throughout other characters. It’s not something that you can just patch up in a week or a year.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello Scoop on Grey’s Anatomy‘s Season-Ending Death

TVLINE | Did you suspect, as some did, that a Jackson/April hookup was coming?
I did not. I thought they were going to be able to walk the line of staying on the friendship side of things. What they have is kind of really unique and organic in the world of Grey’s Anatomy – two genders in a completely platonic, wholesome, pleasant and productive relationship/friendship. Who is to say that has to end? Yet we all know that things get more complicated when sex is involved. This is something that’s not going to resolve itself or identify itself in a matter of a week, or a month. It’s really going to have to play out and have its ups and downs. I hope so, at least.

TVLINE | What’s it like when we pick back up? Is it awkward? Are things between them warmer, chilly?
I think all of those are happening in the next episode. You’re going to see a real kind of tenderness, an understanding and patience between them. But you’re also going to see some awkwardness and bitterness and resentment. All of those things kind of swirl [when you get involved] with somebody that you trusted and you still trust, but you’re disappointed in yourself and you’re blaming yourself. I think both of us do that.

TVLINE | Wait, who is disappointed in whom?
Well, I think that they’re both going to be dealing with, “Should we have done this? Did I just ruin it? Should I have said no? Did I act out of exuberance or the moment or being drunk or whatever it was? Did I overstep? Did I put something at risk?” As opposed to if we just met somebody at a bar and had sex with them, which is like, whatever, you pack up your stuff and you go. I really care about April and she really cares about me, and that makes it more complicated, not less.

TVLINE | As impetuous as it was, what do you think it meant to Jackson in the afterglow, so to speak?
It’s hard to say. He tried to be safe and wise and not deal with girls, really, when he first focused on transitioning into Seattle Grace from Mercy West. He kept his head down, got his work done and didn’t get caught up with banging nurses or anything. But he couldn’t help himself with Lexie once they got close; he really kind of fell for her. He made himself vulnerable probably to the least available person in the hospital, because he knew that she had a longstanding relationship with Mark. He knew he shouldn’t head in that direction, but he went against his better judgment and got burned for it. So, I think that what he sees in April is, “This is somebody who at the very least won’t hurt me.”

TVLINE | Are you saying that things are 100-percent done, finished, finito between Jackson and Lexie?
I think he can’t fully escape it, because he’s got a really cool relationship with Mark now. If he wasn’t so tied to Mark, it’d probably be easier for him to leave it in the past. But because he’s going to stay around Mark hopefully and that’s a friendship that’s still growing, I don’t know how Jackson can fully bury it. It’s going to keep Lexie somewhere in the rear view mirror. I see good things ahead for Mark and Lexie, and Jackson can get over it if he can distract himself with work and a new job, or if he can pass his boards. But if he fails, that’s a whole other thing.

RELATED | 54 Season Finales Spoiled — Grey’s Anatomy Included!

TVLINE | Looking ahead to the season finale (airing May 17): For a show that has in the past staged a ferry accident, opened a sinkhole in the middle of the city and sent a gunman roaming the halls, how will that episode rank as far as intensity?
I’d say it definitely ranks up there with intensity. We’re not cutting any corners in terms of the pressure, dire straits. It’s about a life-and-death split-second decision in this case. It’s something that I really enjoyed reading and [acting], I just wish it was even longer. I wish we were doing a double episode like we did in Season 6, because it’s kind of something you didn’t want to end. But it’s also bittersweet.

1. Iloen says:

I don’t think they should’ve slept together, seemed like just a way to start a new, boring storyline. But I do like Jackson and can’t wait to see the finale. i thought he and lexie were a nice fit.

• Russ says:

I wanted them to just stay close friends, and I hope that they don’t become a couple and just stay close friends.

2. Billie says:

His name is Jackson Avery, not Avery Jackson. :) But I understand the confusion. He’s so pretty it sometimes makes my brain stop a little bit.

3. Annie Zitzler says:

Is this the last season of Grey’s Anatomy? Has anyone heard?

4. Laura M says:

Am I missing something in thinking that Alex is the obvious failure since he didn’t show up for his exam?

• Dominique says:

I’d say that BECAUSE it is so obvious, he won’t be the one to fail. Maybe he’ll get another chance somehow. I think it might actually be Mer or Cristina who fails, just because those are the ones we don’t expect it from.

• Annie says:

I honestly think it’s almost gotta be Cristina at this point. The whole “everybody is clamoring for Cristina to work for them so bad they’ll come to HER” thing a few eps back just reeked of a Shonda set-up.

• Lauren says:

I agree, she was also really distracted by her tumultuous relationship with Owen, and she didn’t study as much as everyone else…

• CC says:

There are three sessions in this exam. You must pass two of the three sessions to get an overall pass. Alex missed the first session, so by force, he must pass the last two sessions.

• Slizabeth says:

I think it would be pretty easy for the show to pick up the SECOND that it left off and have Alex bursting into the room…. leaving all the other docs in just as much jeopardy.

• madhatter360 says:

They released a preview clip where they show his examiners deciding to give him 15 more minutes, so it’s possible that he does somehow make it in time.

• Christina says:

I think they released a spoiler a month or two ago saying that ONE intern is late for the exam (Alex) AND one fails. The impression I got was that the person who’s late isn’t the one who fails.

5. Barbie says:

I bet it’s Cristina. Mer has been so relaxed about the whole thing, she doesn’t want to leave Seattle Grace and all. I BET IT!!!!

6. sarah says:

I hope it is April but it may very well be Christina!

7. greysfan says:

Something tells me that it is Meredith or Cristina who fail the boards. They are the headliners of the show and it seems to me one of those 2 will fail considering he said “it will have a ripple effect with everyone”. They are the only 2 imo that could do that. Plus he said he was shocked. Can’t wait till tonight. I want to know now. lol

8. Nishen says:

Guys I think I read somewhere that the originals are safe Mer, Christina and Alex…

• CC says:

Meredith, Cristina and Alex are safe, in that they are not the one who is killed in the finale. They are not safe from failing the exams.

9. Matt says:

IIRC the original spoiler here. Ausiello said one will have a medical issue and one will fail. By that structure it indicates that the one with the medical issue (presumably Meredith with the stomach virus) isn’t the one who fails. That means Mer would be safe from failing.

• MM says:

The medical issue could also refer to Alex. Even though he wasn’t sick, he did go back to take care of that poor baby which is an issue related to medicine.

• JBS says:

That could very well be right. But IIRC, Ausiello also said that in addition to the medical issue, 1 of the male residents would be late to their boards, and since there are only 2 male residents, that would have to refer to Alex.

• LeSo says:

Actually, Ausiello specifically said that one of the residents would have a medical emergency while taking the test. It was originally spoiled to be a nosebleed occurring during the exam, but it was later revised. Hence, Meredith’s stomach flu.

10. dancingzebra says:

SHOULD be Kepner that fails. Girl is a giant idiot and running around screeching and acting like a moron. How she made it thru medical school is mind boggling. However, I bet it’s Meredith as Shonda loves nothing more than kicking that poor woman like a dog. April is a joke. Can’t stand her and wish she were the one getting killed off. Imo, she brings nothing to the show and is a giant time suck. It’s to the point I have to fast forward thru any scene she’s in. She’s awful.

• Dizzle says:

Really? I mean, obviously if you dislike April that’s fine, but putting that aside I thought the show’s made it very clear that April is far from a “giant idiot”. Her success in the trauma tasks last season, her appointment as Chief Resident… If anything what April lacks is social intelligence, in part due to being a giant book nerd!

• Saint Alicia says:

And if she freaking brings up Jesus again… girl, you have been religious for all of 20 minutes.

• dancingzebra says:

I want Jesus to snatch her bald headed the next time she does that. I’d have NO problem w/ all her Christianity drama had she been so zealous before. This character is on my last never. I can’t with her.

11. Forwarddad says:

I would bet it ‘s Avery who fails especially with Debbie Allen back in picture.

12. Violet says:

As someone who had to take [and passed] a three-day bar exam, I can’t think of anyone stupid enough to get into a bar fight/first night sex/up-all-night talk-a-thon or anything else the night before such an important event. During the bar exam, I told everyone not to call me, come over or bother me. But, I guess they couldn’t very well have had an episode showing everyone studying and then going to bed early, so what can you do?

13. katy917 says:

All I took away from this was “I see good things ahead for Mark and Lexie,” – woohoo!! love them together!!

14. kristi says:

I think the death is going to be Adell, Webber’s wife and I think Christina is going to be the one that fails the exam. Christina seems to be the one most anxious to get out of Seattle, and since she’s not one with a contract expiration immediatly coming up, her failing would be a good way to make sure she sticks around Seattle Grace longer. I also have a feeling Meredith might be pregnant. If I remember correctly, they said that she “probably” wouldnt ever be able to conceive.

15. Danielle H says:

I don’t love that they slept together. It is like whore island at this hospital.. it’s actually pretty sad. I really hope the finale isn’t what I think it is either.. another disaster.. I hope they are alluding to that but that it’s something different.

16. Jill says:

Anyone think that Meredith’s flu will turn into a pregnancy?

17. Ali says:

I could care less about Jackson and April. I kind of like the idea of April with Alex but Jackson doesn’t do it for me. I LOVED the last episode when April let loose in the bar and showed her crazy side. More of that would be fun.

18. Angelique says:

I’m soooo happy about April and Jackson, I love them together and I want to believe we can find our soulmate in our best friend sometimes <3 and DEAR LORD their sex scene last night was hot

19. MarkLexie says:

This interview just gave me hope. Since I saw the promo of the finale I have been so sure that Lexie is going to die. But the fact that Jesse Willimas said: “I see good things ahead for Mark and Lexie”, that just gave me a little more hope that Lexie will survive. I have no idea what I’m going to do if Lexie dies. She and Mark are my favourite couple of all. They are just perfect for each other.
    Mark & Lexie ♥

20. lisalee says:

yeah i can see mark and lexie getting back together.and alex with april would be kinda cool too.i think richard’s wife will be the one to pass away.and owen and christina i’m not too sure about right yet.

21. Liz says:

I dunno, the split second decision makes me think Arizona’s the one to go. I mean she made the decision right before everyone left to take Alex’s place on the plane :/