Exclusive

Exclusive Grey's Anatomy First Look: Meet Arizona's Ex-'Husband'

Jordan Belfi Grey's AnatomyThe free pass Grey’s Anatomy has given happy-go-lucky newlyweds Callie and Arizona this season is about to expire.

In this Thursday’s episode, Entourage‘s Jordan Belfi checks in as a cancer patient named Nick whose intimate past with Arizona stirs up trouble for the conflict-free couple — but not in the way you’re probably thinking.

“They’re childhood friends,” explains Belfi, who’s set to appear in two episodes. “They have this special bond going back to when they were kids – they were even fake married as kids. They were that close.”

RELATED | 54 Season Finales Spoiled — Grey’s Anatomy Included!

The Calzona kerfuffle arises when Callie is tasked with performing surgery on Nick, which “essentially puts Arizona’s ‘brother’ in the hands of her wife,” explains Belfi. “It’s interesting to see the way that complicates both Nick and Arizona’s relationship, and the strain that puts on Arizona and Callie’s relationship.”

Scroll down to view two additional images from Belfi’s Grey’s stint, and then hit the comments with an answer to this question: Are you happy Calzona’s relatively uneventful season is ending on a dramatic note?

1. albtrex says:

OMG, he is so handsome!!! I’m glad they explore Arizona’s past!
    And I’m beginning to think that he would be a recurring character next season!!! (hope so!!)

• JBS says:

Well, if it’s true that at least 1 character dies at the end of this season, then it could make sense to have him come back for some season 9 episodes.

• lorna says:

Not an Arizona fan, but she hasn’t been too bad this season. Thank God they stepped back from the stupid Mark/Calzona triangle. Now if they would just kill off April…

• Lucy says:

You speak the truth! She hasn’t been bad this season and thank God that idiotic triangle is in the background where it belongs. Kill Kepner please.

2. juliab says:

yes, I am excited to see what happens with Calzona. how will these affect on them.
    also, I know Jessica Capshaw’s acting on drama stuff is really good, so I am really looking forward to see that.
    I love me some drama…but not heavy drama.

• Kb says:

I love when JCap gets to flex her acting muscles. She really does not get to do it enough! I’m so excited for these two eps.

3. Larissa says:

uhhh. this reminds me a lot of the whole Teddy, Cristina, Henry thing. which really did not end well. hopefully it won’t be the same situation here.

• Olita says:

Yeah, my thought, too.

• Carrie says:

Don’t think it will go in that direction. I’m guessing it will be more of an Arizona control freak story like the surgery with the conjoined twins, but on a deeper, more personal level. Either way, looking forward to the episode and dreading the end of a season – no new GA for months and months means I have to find something to do on a Thursday night while waiting for HRH Shondra Rhimes (Queen of ABC!) to dream up new drama for our entertainment.

4. Matt says:

I don’t really see drama unless something goes wrong with the surgery and it’s Callie’s fault. He’s Arizona’s best friend, the were not a couple or dated so it’s not like Callie will be jealous. It’d be like when Calzona had the accident last season and all the team had to save Callie’s life and her baby’s life. That could create some tension but meh, Calzona had worst issues on their road.

5. Sam says:

So the drama would be Nick dying under Callie’s watch..

6. Sara says:

Yawn. Callie and Arizona are a snoozefest. Wake me up when there’s something on characters I care about.

• ann says:

Totally agree! Please kill them off so I don’t have to see them anymore. Callie used to be so fun and exciting to watch…….then along came Arizona. Boring.

• Ari says:

I really hate Callie. Arizona is the only good thing about her. I never found Callie fun or exciting to watch. Just cringeworthy. Arizona IS fun and an actual character who doesn’t just whine all the time.

• Kym says:

Completely agree. Callie gives me the creeps. She always has.

• Kb says:

Arizona is the reason I got back into Greys. JCap never fails to deliver when she is given something of substance to do. Callie, meh, neither here nor there. That being said, she has made me laugh quite a lot this season and her facial expressions are always brilliant, so I guess I am slowly becoming a Callie fan too.

• Claire says:

Right there with you !

• Larc says:

This is exactly the page I’m on! Drama centered around them often seems too contrived. I usually find my mind wondering when just those two are on the screen.

• Katarina says:

AMEN! Callie is just awful. Can’t stand anything about her. Arizona is so boring it hurts.

• tess says:

ITA. I could not care less about these two. With so few episodes left for the originals to be potentially together, why, why, why are they wasting time on this?

• Fran says:

The originals already have their storyline with the boards and stuff. There’s always more than 1 storyline in an episode. If it wasn’t this, then it would be more of Lexie not telling Mark how she feels, the chief visiting Adele, Teddy freaking out on Owen etc etc etc. Callie/Arizona haven’t had anything in a while (and Arizona hasn’t had anything of her own since her parents visited for her wedding and she spent the episode NOT interacting with them) so why NOT give them this?

7. John says:

Thing is it’s hard to bring drama when they already have a child, are married and all the drama topics have been touched between them. Mark and Callie, done. Now Arizona gets along with Mark, so no more drama there. They already have a life threatening situation with the car accident. Arizona left to Africa and that was drama for like 4 episodes. Sexuality and insecurities has been done already too. I don’t see how they can come up with stuff to break them up. Infedelity maybe? That’s already on Cristina and Owen right now, but maybe the could bring in an ex girlfriend for Arizona, but not a light thing like the one episode thing they did a few episoed ago with that nurse hook up.

8. Billie says:

Yes. 100% happy that they are giving Callie and Arizona a storyline that lasts more than 1 episode. Even if it is only a two episode arc. It’s a tough line to walk, because I do want my favourite couple to be together and to be happy. But happy and together in Shondaland = no screen time/no stories.
    Would it be too much to ask Grey’s Anatomy to come up with something dramatic that a couple goes through TOGETHER, rather than every dramatic SL causing a break up?

9. Ana says:

I cannot wait for this episode. Callie and Arizona totally rock. They are my favorite part of Greys. Sara is amazing, especially with the comedy and JCap can do anything from drama to comedy. And they are super adorable as a couple. I’m glad they are getting a significant and compelling storyline.

• jtrowdygirl says:

Callie and Arizona are the reason I watch Grey’s as well!!Every character has had drama and then quiet times on Grey’s!!! Quit hating on Callie and Arizona… Callie is a wonderful actress, she can do any type of acting no matter what is put in front of her. Arizona is just plain awesome, can make you cry with just a look and laugh the next minute!! She flex’s her acting muscles quite well!! Kepner makes me crazy…she is the whiner!! Shonda knows for a fact Callie and Arizona are vital characters that cannot be killed off!!! Ratings would definitely drop tremendously!! I would definitely be finding something else to do with my time Thursdays @ 8, as well as many millions others if either one of them got killed off!!!

• jtrowdygirl says:

My previous comment were for the haters on Callie and Arizona that I read!!!! It’s Shonda’s fault Calzona is irresistable and I am straight!!! Lol!! They are an adorable couple and have great chemistry together!! Fav couple on Grey’s for sure.

10. Tulip says:

I love Calzona. A stable relationship, true love, happiness. It’s great to have that amongst the rest of the craziness in that hospital. But I do love the idea of exploring Arizona’s past. I want to learn more about her!

11. Fran says:

I’m excited for some background on Arizona. It’s been a long time coming. C/A fans haven’t gotten much to be excited about this season so I’m very happy we’ll get this storyline to chew over during the hiatus.

Comments like they should die are pretty disheartening. Come on, guys, this is like their first real storyline this whole season. Would you rather watch the chief and April have sex?

12. Kim says:

I can’t wait for this episode. It’s about time Arizona gets a story. She’s one of the best characters on the show. More!

13. mcyummy says:

Yay! I love Calzona…really don’t know how anyone could not. And I love how much they love each other and are devoted to each other. That’s how two people should treat each other. A lot of respect and genuine devotion/commitment. Calzoan are trule a beautiful couple inside and outside.

14. Danielle H says:

I think it’s kind of stupid how people complain about Callie and Arizona. Be happy that Shonda isn’t messing with them like a crazy person. They are not the forefront characters of this show, people. People forget this show was centered around Bailey’s interns when it began. Mer, Cristina, and Alex are still the heart of this show.. the others are side players.

• CJ says:

Plus, they’re facing the same problems happy soap opera couples always face:
      1. their romance is safe, settled, happy and secure
      2. the people who run the show don’t want to mess that up
      3. both are happy and successful at work
      4. they have a baby who’s too young to be a regular source of drama unless it’s a medical problem
      5. all that’s left for them is to be a friend to others

• They’re A MILLION TIMES better than Bailey’s interns. I’ll trade Callie/Arizona plotlines for boring interns any day of the week. They’re far more appealing interesting characters. For one, I’m excited about anything that has to do with anyone other than the boring “original 3″, especially Yang.

• lorna says:

Actually, as fans, we have a right to debate and discuss our opinions. I think Callie has horrible taste in women, though Arizona is [barely] better than Hahn. Wouldn’t miss either of them. Callie in s2 and 3 was awesome, not neurotically insecure do i want mark or arizona callie. Ugh,

15. I think it’s super that we finally have an episode that delves into the background behind Arizona Robbins’ character. It is ALWAYS a good move to provide your audience with layers, and it’s actually kind of shocking that it has taken three seasons for Shonda to even think about doing that with Arizona. I love each of the characters on GA; yes I have my favourites and my least favourites, and Arizona does happen to be one of the former for me. I can understand people who aren’t as interested in her and/or Callie’s character’s but I think that it would be important to remember that despite season 7, Callie and Arizona are minority characters when it comes to screen time, so sitting through one or two episodes that centres on either one of their characters is not a lot to ask in return for Calzona fans having to sit through almost a season’s worth of every other character’s time in the spotlight.

16. priscilla951 says:

I am very excited to see Arizona and Callie get a dramatic story line. Jessica and Sara are great actors and bring the drama straight to your heart.

It sounds like we get insight into Arizona’s background. More importantly it sounds like Callie will be helping Arizona through a very emotional time.

This is a great opportunity to have them face something together as a couple, deepen the foundation or their relationship, and knock their scenes out of the park.

17. beverlee says:

some people are just very negative that’s all. There are certain characters i’m not too fond of on GA but I don’t go out of my way to diss them on a board. Instead I express my love, for the characters I love and I LOVE Calzona. I wish they had their own show.

18. Chopii says:

Callzona es la mejor pareja!!! y es la protagonista!! merder ya aburrieron!! aceptenlo!! gracias shonda por darle protagonismo a Callzona especialmente a mi Arizona..el mejor personaje lejos!!

19. Ashley says:

This is the second time I’m actually excited about an episode in Season 8, the first being Episode 18 where they explored a tiny bit of Arizona’s “romantic past” in the hospital. I’m glad to see that we’re finally going to get some insight into Arizona’s past, and that it’s going to be a serious take this time. Jessica does phenomenally with dramatic scenes, and I have no doubt she’s going to kick ass on this one.

20. Jenn says:

So excited to see a storyline centered around Arizona for once — it’s about time!

21. FayeT says:

i wish callie would get more screen time. instead we have to see Alex be a d*#k all the time, meredith’s surly non-personality, i dont find her character likeable at all. The only time I like her is when she is in scenes with Cristina. Derek is a self righteous know-it-all who treats Meredith very hot and cold. Callie, Cristina & Bailey are the three who are hilarious and have the acting skills.

• cdog says:

So true regarding the three capable of acting..I can like Meredith at times but it’s is quite revealing when a young guest actor out performs her every time. It happened twice this season that I can remember. Callie and Bailey are GREAT characters, the writers fail Callie constantly..same with Cristina this season. Bailey is possibly the best written character on GA.
      I find “Calzona” a snooze fest this season. Boring with no substance again the writers are failing them. I hope they do better with this story for these two character. I want some substance.

• jNaree says:

Well said! Sara Ramirez, Sandra Oh & Chandra Wilson are incredible! Yet, the writers consistently create AMAZING story lines for Bailey’s character. They too often stumble with Christina and Callie’s characters. I love the humor, sarcasm, anger and confidence these actresses bring to every scene.

22. davilovable says:

omg i can”t wait for those two eposides ..i luv arizona she is awesome and funny>>>finally Robbins get some screen time :)

23. Callie says:

Team Calzona!! I vote Sandra Oh for an Emmy!!!

24. Penelope says:

I have been waiting for a Callie/Arizona storyline all season, and this sure sounds like it will be worth that wait. I love the idea of seeing Callie step up and be there for her wife, and I *really* love the idea of seeing Arizona break down and learn how to rely on Callie. Bringing in someone closely connected to Timothy Robbins is also a fantastic idea. If we can’t meet Timothy, this will be the closest we come to him. It also sounds like Jessica will be given a chance to really perform. Her work is always superb, and two episodes in a row for her is going to be a treat. Great news!

25. NitaH says:

Calzona is the only reason I keep up with Grey’s anymore. It’s nice to see a lesbian couple in a normal relationship on television and not creating drama or having their sexuality questioned or denigrated every other episode! A little tension never hurt anything and it would be interesting to see a past love of Arizona’s pop up, but keep Calzona intact!

26. Callie says:

Its gonna be devastating for Arizona if she loses Nick after losing her brother. :-(

• jtrowdygirl says:

Agreed!!! I mean how much can a girl take, right? Guess this will be step up time for Callie if that’s the case!! I know Callie will have no problem doing that, she is very much dedicated to Arizona. Will be nice to see her be there for Arizona, being as it’s Arizona who is the one who’s usually the rock. NIce seeing in to Arizona’s past..

27. jtrowdygirl says:

Ok but I do have one question,,,,How does a reporter know who is safe and who isn’t? Thought Shonda was keeping it top secret?!! I mean is he just playing us or is it just his speculation, cause he’s about to give me heart failure by not ruling out my girls..Callie and Arizona…just sayin…what are some of your thoughts? I mean, I really don’t think Shonda will kill either one off, just doesn’t seem logical, but…what are some thoughts? Please be what I wanna hear..lol!

• Callie says:

I think some of the ppl who report this stuff get to watch episodes earlier. That’s how they actually get spoilers. I saw a tweet from a reporter a while back saying that had just received 3 eps of a show that hadn’t aired yet. I think they just can’t say what the shocks or cliffhangers will be. Like if we knew for sure who died, the anxiety won’t be as high. They have us right where they want us, anticipating the finale.

For the most part, I think Calzona is safe, well at least Callie. I mean hasn’t she been through enough? Arizona I can see being hurt but not dying. Nothing has ever really happened to her. Even the car crash was just stitches. My first guess has always been Richard. I just don’t see where his storyline is going. He’s not chief & Adele is gone. Owen is a close second because you really can’t see him pulling his weight should Cristina be the one to leave. Then my 3rd was Teddy because if Cristina decided to stay, she could be the cardio attending (if she passed).

Sorry so long. :-)

• jtrowdygirl says:

I agree with Calzona being safe but both of them!! I think the attention they will be getting in the next two episodes is good news, kinda reitterates their safety….right? Also neither one of their contracts are up and I think Shonda really ownly gets rid of people if they do not want to come back or they are trouble causer; which they are not. She also will probably piss off the entire gay community if she kills off either one of them don’t ya think? I am leaning towards Richard….His character is kinda just existing. even though I do like him and he was the rock of Grey’s for some time, I would be sad to see him die off but would pick him if was between him or Calzona…just sayin. That’s an interesting concept about Teddy and Cristina, makes sense…but I truly love Teddy too. Ugh, all this makes me crazy…guess thats the idea, huh? lol

28. Claire says:

Lack of recent drama for Calzona makes me nervous for the finale …

• jtrowdygirl says:

I’m not too nervous cause for starters, their contracts are not up and they both are vital characters that have a HUGE fan base, gay and straight. Could be detrimental to Grey’s if something fatal happened to either one of them i would think. Shonda is very smart and knows she would probably cause an uproar in the gay community after she spent so much SL on creating this awesome couple and then tore them down by killing them off. Also, We already knew this season was planned to be quiet for them to get settled and be happy after the crazy Season 7. Im kinda leaning toward a somewhat semi quiet finale for them since they will have so much attention in the the next two episodes(yay!). Well at least that’s what I’m hoping!!! :)

• Callie says:

Agreed! I was thinking the only reason killing off Arizona would be if JCap wanted that. The only reason I could come up with was her wanting to spend time with her kids with them being so young. But then I was like with Eve she missed only 4 eps so with this baby she’d have 3 or 4 months off.

Shonda has stated time & time again how much she loves Calzona. Even though I’m nervous & not 100% sure, i can’t really bring myself to think she would kill them. Then again JCap says “every character’s fate hangs in the balance”…

• jtrowdygirl says:

I agree with you totally!!! Great minds think alike, lol! However, I think JCap would not be so chatty on twitter if it was going to end badly for her. I do think she is onry enough to let us sweat it out. Ya know? She likes a little mystery, but I think with the comment her husband made about “Happy last work week of the season” is maybe giving us a hint everything will be okay for season 9. I could be dillusional but that’s what I like to think..haha..And also she told us not to panic.

• Callie says:

Whoa! I was thinking the same thing…when her husband said “this” season, i really was over-analyzing it….i was like he said “this” which means she’ll be back…lol….i guess great minds do think alike! ;-)

• lorna says:

not saying this is you, but people say the want equal rights as gays, yet if a gay [or racial] character gets killed off, they cry discrimination, when really, they’re being treated as any normal character would.

• jtrowdygirl says:

I see what you are trying to say, and I am straight and have no problems with gays, but think it is such a touchy subject, kinda similiar to abortion, that if either one of them or both got killed off, it would just open up a can of worms….be it right or be it wrong, ya know? I could be totally off base, but I’m leaning toward not. Since Shonda “went there” on the primetime lesbian marriage and all, I think she definitely won over the gay advocates and those who are confused about their sexuality, etc… I think the LGBT community finally get a stable couple on primetime television, boosting up the GA ratings most likely and if something happens to that couple right now, I think it could possibly be detrimental to GA. I dont think it would be a discrimination accusation just a ” WTH,” approach. Like I said this is just my sentiments, nothing in stone…lol.

29. Laura C says:

Calzona is my LEAST favorite storyline in GA. Snoozefest. And just when I thought things were gonna get interesting with Kepner and Avery, they went STUPID with her “Jesus hates me” line and now who knows where they’re going with it.

• jtrowdygirl says:

Well sorry you feel that way about Calzona….to each his own…but Kepner? Talk about a snoozefest….can’t even have a hot scene with Avery….how does that NOT happen, wow…lol…you got me….I don’t even have an answer for that one….only thing to do is laugh.

• lorna says:

LMAO thats why I’m hoping its April. Not a Calzona fan, don’t care that they are gay, but shondra take a note from joss whedon i.e. willow and tara- make a good lesbian relationship. arizona bugs the crap outta me.

• jtrowdygirl says:

Oh see I think they have great chemistry (Callie and Arizona), I love me some Arizona, and I am straight..lol. Like I said earlier, to each their own, not trying to step on anyones toes. I really am not too concerned about either one of my girls getting killed off, don’t think it fits. They are vital characters that do bring in a huge fan base. Anyways enough of all that, keep repeating myself, I think everyone has an idea how I feel…going to bed…have a good evening everyone!!!

30. lisa says:

I think it’s Arizona who gets killed off in the plane crash, which would really stink. I like her relationship with Callie. I don’t think it’ll be Kepner, unless there’s some strange twist where everyone survives the plane crash and she dies in some freak accident, like the ambulance carrying the injured to the hospital runs her over or something.