Ringer Finale Preview: Bosses Promise 'Mother of All Cliffhangers' and at Least 3 Deaths!

The images floating around from tonight’s Ringer season (or series?) finale would have you believe that The CW’s topsy-turvy, twisty-turny serial thriller will conclude with a joyous event and a happily ever after for all. Well, you know what they say about appearances.

TVLine spoke with Ringer bosses Eric Charmelo and Nicole Snyder (who — spoiler alert — both make funny cameos in the episode) about the freshman drama’s season-ender, and they confirm that it’s unlikely anyone will be in a celebratory mood by the end of the hour… particularly not the three(!) characters who won’t make it out alive.

TVLINE | Ringer has a lot of balls in the air going into its finale. Can we expect much resolution tonight?
NICOLE SNYDER | We paid very careful attention and made promises in the beginning of the year based on fans’ reactions to shows with mysteries, like Lost. We kept saying all along, ‘We will answer questions, we promise. And we will give you a satisfying conclusion. ‘And I think we did that in the finale. It totally delivers. I think the audience is going to feel satisfied and I do think, with all of our characters, truths will come out in different ways.

TVLINE | To that point, Ioan Gruffudd told us a few weeks ago that the finale in no way neatly wraps up the story. Would you say that’s accurate?
ERIC CHARMELO | There is the mother of all cliffhangers that is posed by the end of the Season 1 finale, and it’s a great jumping off point for Season 2. That said, it will be satisfying and we will still answer questions. And by no means is the audience going to feel cheated. As Nicole said, it really, really delivers. It’s going to satiate you, but leave you hungry for more.

TVLINE | How about a tiny “mother of all cliffhangers” tease?
SNYDER | What we can say is this: We had a specific drive and an engine for the first season, and this cliffhanger has everything change direction. It changes the motivation of certain characters. We are so excited for this finale to air. We love everything about it, from the director to the title to the performances; it’s a great episode and I hope the fans love it as much as we do.
CHARMELO | I think the season finale makes the penultimate episode seem tame, comparatively. [Laughs] It was really challenging for the writers to sort of shoehorn everything into this last episode, but we did it in a really organic, interesting, compelling way.

The CW’s Ringer On the Bubble: Keep Or Cut?

TVLINE | Speaking of the title, we all know that Ringer titles are derived from dialogue spoken in each episode… So, it’s safe to assume that one of the two sisters says “I’m the Good Twin” at some point?
SNYDER | We kept trying to find the right line to be the title, and when that one was written it was just so obvious. I can’t tell you who says it because you’ll laugh when you watch it; you’ll enjoy the moment and I don’t want to ruin it… You know what my favorite part of the episode is, Meg? You get to see Eric Charmelo in a moustache. [Laughs]
CHARMELO | Nicole appears, too! She plays a barfly. It was very easy for Nicole… [Laughs]
SNYDER | It was. I got into character very easily playing a bar slut in Wyoming. But if you blink, you’ll miss me.
CHARMELO | And that is actually the scene in which one of the sisters says, “I’m the good twin.”

TVLINE | In a Q&A earlier this season, you teased more deaths by the end of the season. Should we expect a few more tonight?
SNYDER & CHARMELO | Oh, yeah!

TVLINE | OK, so characters we’ve become familiar with this season may not make it to the end?
SNYDER | Correct, they may not.
CHARMELO | It’s a bloodbath. We have at least three deaths in the finale.

TVLINE | Anyone fans will be sad to see go?
CHARMELO | Ummm, possibly. It depends on whom you’re rooting for. That’s the great thing about our show; there are fans that love the villains and then there are the fans that love the obvious protagonists. It will just depend on what your speed is. I’m sure some people will be upset.

TVLINE | Last week we released a finale clip in which Siobhan lies to Henry about the paternity test — and he seemingly buys it! Is Henry really that dumb? Or is there more to this arc?
SNYDER | [Laughs] That happens early on in the episode and is only one part of a larger story for Henry and Siobhan — and it’s really interesting. We’ve heard fans loud and clear, and know they want Henry to stand up to Siobhan and see things clearer… I don’t think this will disappoint.

TVLINE | Another finale clip we’ve seen revolves around the wedding of Andrew and Siobhan, with Bodaway crashing it. Is there any way that is not a dream sequence?
SNYDER | Let’s leave that one a mystery.

TVLINE | Is there a world in which Andrew and Bridget can actually exist as a couple, once all is said and done?
SNYDER | I hope so, because I love them! [Laughs] That’s the burning question for them — and it’s huge! — and that’s what the finale sets up. If she tells him the truth, can he forgive her and accept her for who she is?
CHARMELO | Bridget certainly is performing the con of the century on Andrew, but if anyone can understand what it’s like to be duplicitous, it’s Andrew. So, is that going to buy her any forgiveness on Andrew’s part?

Season Finale Spoilers: Scoop on 52 Big Finishes!

TVLINE | Is there some sort of satisfaction in the finale for viewers longing to finally see some present-day interaction or acknowledgment between the twins?
CHARMELO | There is. In the climax [of the finale], the twins will be in the same room at the same time. In present day.

TVLINE | Is it safe to assume we’ve seen the last of psycho ex Catherine this season?
CHARMELO | This season, yes.

TVLINE | Will there be some reference to or resolution for the MIA Malcolm?
CHARMELO | New information comes into play that further solidifies where Malcolm might be, but it’s vague enough that we’re not being definitive. But we’re certainly leaning in a direction of where we think he is.

TVLINE | And more importantly, will poor, well-meaning Machado finally catch a break?
SNYDER | Yes! Yes! Yes!

TVLINE | Is anyone happy by the end of the episode?
SNYDER | [Long pause] I do think there are a couple characters that are happy by the end, but they may not be who you want to be happy. [Laughs]
CHARMELO | This is the interesting thing about the episode — it really does set up the stage beautifully for Season 2. Let’s pretend that our characters were in a cocoon all season, and they’re finally morphing into…
SNYDER | Evil butterflies?
CHARMELO | Not butterflies, but the next evolution of their characters. They have different agendas next season. There are turning points for every single major character in Season 1, so it provides a beautiful trajectory for them to jettison off in Season 1.
SNYDER | Can I tell you something, Meg? Happiness is boring. [Laughs]
CHARMELO | This is honestly the most emotional episode we’ve had. Every character has a lot at stake and said stakes are more real than they’ve been all season.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Finales, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. ck says:

Didn’t read the article, but should a show that has about a 14% chance of renewal have a “Mother of All Cliffhangers?”

• Josh says:

Sounds pretty disrespectful to the fans…They’ve pretty much known for a while there chance of a second season was far and in-between.

• Alison says:

I think that maybe the reason why they appear so sure about there being a Season 2 is because there will be one..? Maybe it’s already more or less settled at the CW.. I hope so. I really really hope so, this show is too amazing to get canceled. Please everybody watch the finale and support the show!

• Sarah says:

I agree. It’s the lowest rated show on the CW they should have some idea they probably aren’t coming back. Some closure would have been nice.

2. MaryAnn says:

*Fantastic article!* If I were not already more excited about this finale than any show this year before, then I would be now!

It took “Ringer” a while to find its sea legs, but as of now, it is one of the best shows on tv. Anyone who has the slightest interest in the show should watch the finale and see the incredibly complex, compelling show it has morphed into.

I can’t wait to see what new directions they have planned for next year!

(And I just hope they are right about this episode being satisfying for the viewers, just in case it doesn’t get picked up. I really, really would hate to leave the show with a bad taste in my mouth. Here’s hoping that the nay-sayers are wrong and it gets a renewal!)

• Robin says:

I agree. In some ways it started slowly, but the hits just keep on coming. C was nuts last week. Think they over did it. And yes it is a soap opera ! Like the ones in the better old days when they knew how to write good camp.

• norma says:

Hey u knw what i love the show and i hope that it does not get cancelled i watch it evevy tuesday and if i counld’nt i recorded so i could see it later alot of people are going to be upset and disapponited u see the whole thing and then its over and u dont knw what happens at the end so i hope that they give it another change and just finish it so the fans can see the ending and that would make alot of us very happy when u start to watch a series u also want to see the ending

3. Sarah says:

Awesome article! This show is totally insane and sometimes makes no sense, but if you can just relax and enjoy it, it’s a blast. Is it just me or do SMG and Nestor Carbonell have crazy chemistry? I almost prefer Bridget with him over Andrew. I know-blasphemy!

4. sarah says:

So I think that Bodaway will be one of the people that die, I also think Henry will as well.
    I really want Ringer to get a second season.

5. Ed says:

Thanks for a great read! I am so excited about tonight’s finale.

6. Jane says:

Why are we pretending that there is ANY chance this show gets renewed? Tonight is the series finale. Full stop.

7. ICU says:

Go to E! Online and vote to SAVE this show!! It’s in round two right now.

• alex says:

stupid polls like that mean nothing, ringer will be cancelled, period.

• ICU says:

Then don’t reply to my comment. Do YOU make the decision that it will be canceled for a fact? No? That’s what I thought.

• Max says:

It’s a good thing you’re an actual CW programming exec and not some random nobody posting opinions as if they were facts, otherwise you’d come across as a total douche.

Oh, wait…

8. I spent the weekend catching up on Ringer and I will say that I wouldn’t be disappointed if it did get another season, and if that miracle were to occur, I would probably stealthily watch without admitting it to anyone. It’s not a good show, but it is a show where everyone is trying very, very hard. Plus, it’s gone out of it’s way to provide some bizarre hilarity. Good luck!

9. Florencia says:

BUENISIMOOO, AMO RINGER, HAGAN MUCHAS TEMPORADAS SE LO MERECE

10. J says:

I’m putting my money on Olivia dying. Jaime Murray almost always dies in her shows…

11. S says:

I adore this show and I’m sad to see it probably wont get another season but oh well :(

12. Michael says:

There are two factors that decide the fate of a show. True Ringer’s ratings have been terrible, it is also a favorite of mine. But I believe some networks look at the creative standpoint of a show. If the show is having a major cliffhanger it is not always to screw us over. But it is giving the network executives a reason to save the show, and give them a taste of what to expect for next season. It is also an indication to them of how they can market a show better and to how it will bring in new viewers. Another thing to also keep in mind, when a new show is coming on and it is heavily serielized like this one, people check it out on dvd. This show can get a ratings increase if people check out the first season.

13. matt says:

y do people think its getting cancelled its one of the cws highest rated shows

14. Dee says:

Maybe the fact that they are giving interviews at all bodes well for a 2nd season? If it wasn’t coming back, why bother talking to the creators? If it’s done, then it would be done. They wouldn’t be all over this page and TV Guide, talking about cliffhangers and what would happen next year. It would rub salt in the wound, as it were.

They would let it die off quietly.

Hope it does come back.

15. joe says:

One of cw highest rated shows? It’s at the bottom of the heap, the only reason why it lasted this long it is because its on the cw if it was on any other network it would have dead. By now . I have stuck with the show from the beginning and I enjoyed it but I’m going into tonight like its the final episode,to me it was junk food for the mind ,it reminded me of melrose place in the 90s (not the newer one)

16. Clarke says:

I know this is a far-fetched idea but it could work – CBS should run re-runs of Ringer over the summer. I believe the CW is owned by CBS and Ringer would do a lot better on a more adult-orientated network like CBS. The show would pick up more viewers over the summer and season 2 would have more fans and buzz. Just a crazy idea that will never happen but who knows…

17. Sue says:

Ringer is an awesome show!! Looking forward to the finale tonight!!! Hope it gets. A second season!!!
    If you guys hate this show sooo much then why sit n complain just don’t post
    Ringer has a lot! Of fans!
    And I’m betting it’ll get a second season since creators are already previewing a season two or they wouldn’t be talking about it like its a pretty secure thing
    And if u think it’s only surviving bcuz it’s been on the CW ur wrong have u seen nbcs ratings!

18. joe says:

I like how unintentionaly funny it is,I want it to come back but I’m not holding my breath

19. Brooke says:

I adore this show, but anyone who follows the network’s ratings knows that it’s at the bottom of the pile. I’ll be stunned if it gets renewed. I wish they’d be doing what Fringe is doing, and making plans for both renewal and cancelation. They’re just setting up all fans for disappointment otherwise.

20. queerbec says:

I can’t begin to count the number of cliffhangers I’ve watched for shows that subsequently get cancelled. It’s a ridiculous investment of time and concentration. I always keep hoping that a show will last, but network executives don’t care about loyal viewers. Too bad showrunners aren’t forced to plan for both a series end and season end, if the show doesn’t get an early renewal.

21. Ashley says:

If this show were on any other network it would have been axed a long, long time ago. However, I think *maybe* the CW’s love for SMG (and the fans!) may keep it around for a short 2nd season to see if it can pull the ratings in. At least, that’s what I hope. I think compared to the first half of season 1, the second half has been 10 times better. Hopefully if they are given a 2nd season they can continue from that and chill out on all the “twists” every week and really develop great stories. I mean – the Martin/Charles Ponzi scheme could have been an entire season in itself – Andrew as a “bad ass” was kind of awesome to see and I’m sad it only lasted 1.5 episodes!!!

22. sarah says:

I want to watch this show…but it comes on at the same time as another show I watch. Comcast doesn’t have it on demand. I’m kinda bummed. Is it online anywhere? I wanted to wait and catch up until I knew if it was getting renewed or not…but looks like I might just bite the bullet and watch anyway whether it gets another shot or not.

I read in entertainment weekly that this show does really well when they add in the DVR numbers. Sometimes…that’s enough to save a show. I hope it stays on just because I’ve liked Sarah Michelle since Buffy!

• Dee says:

They have the episodes on the CW online page, I believe.

• Alicia says:

You can watch full episodes on youtube. Bionicwfan uploads every episode of ringer. Thats where i watch ringer since my tv is broken. I really hope this show gets a second season.

• TVChick says:

Watching unofficial copies of the eps on YouTube doesn’t tell the network that you care about their show. Try the CW site or Hulu for full eps, or wait for it to come out on DVD (because anything where a good chunk of the fanbase are fans of the stars is almost certainly going to be released on DVD). Those are things that make you count (to the network) as a viewer.

23. JD says:

I’m afraid that Siobhan’s babies aren’t going to make it.

24. Karen M. says:

Ringer is like a grownup Gossip Girl! I LOVE IT. Please give it a 2nd season…

25. Michael says:

I have this worry that this is whats going to happen. Henry is really the only person that knows the real Siobhan is alive. Siobhan will come out due to the fact Henry will die in this episode. She will tell Andrew that the twins are his, and that Bridget was holding her captive all this time. She will also bring up the fact Bridget is a hooker and a user. Andrew will have no choice but to go back to Siobhan and Bridget will be taken in handcuffs. This is a theory hopefully it doesn’t happen though.

26. They should renew Ringer.

27. tvislife says:

Ringer fans should start a campaign to get CBS to pair season 1 reruns with Big Brother twice a week this summer. That finale was incredible.

28. Grace says:

Just finished, and I have no idea how that could be considered the mother of all cliffhangers.

29. DreamRose311 says:

Finale was great! I definitely agree that they should rerun it, on either CW or CBS over the summer, so that people who gave up or never caught it can have a slight chance to go ‘well it’s renewed, might as well go back and watch while there is less on tv’.

The finale is great and I would LOVE to know where they want to take the show. It certainly grew a lot from the first few episodes.

30. Lo says:

How on earth were there 3 deaths? I counted two bad guys that no one really cared about and one flashback death that we already knew about so I don’t see that as counting. More importantly, not one was a major character and I saw nothing remotely warranting such descriptions as “the mother of all cliffhangers”. What a letdown, I had such high hopes when I read the article earlier. Shame on the creators.

31. Alec says:

I really hope ringer comes back on its one of my favorite shows they can’t put on a show and have people get hooked onto it and then end the season I believe therell be a next season.

32. AJ says:

I only counted 2 deaths, unless the flashback of the stripper who was working for Machado counts?

33. Jim Dennen says:

I love it. We need a second season!

34. JT says:

This is my fav show this year – I hope it comes back, but I know it is doubtful. Hopefully, they at least release it to DVD with some extras.

35. BD says:

Was the third death the guy at the security desk?

36. Zoey says:

I expect there will be the season 2.

37. priscilla says:

PLEASE COME BACK RINGER!!! How can they just leave it like that

38. ironcladmerc says:

It doesn’t have to come back, that wasn’t really a cliiffhanger. Everything was pretty much resolved and wrapped up, the “cliffhanger” was pretty lame actually.

39. Tracey says:

Are they not bringing it out on DVD???