Exclusive

Exclusive: Fringe Stars Talk Finale ('We Shot Two Endings'), Drop Clue About Season 5 Storyline

Fox’s Fringe, which for four years now has traded in dual universes, doppelgängers and shape-shifting body doubles, is fittingly prepping alt versions of its Season 4 finale, as Fox and Warner Bros. TV continue to negotiate the possibility of a Season 5.

“We’ve shot two [endings],” John Noble told TVLine at the opening of the Beverly Hills Paley Center’s “Television: Out of the Box” exhibit, which was created in conjunction with Warner Bros. TV.

Fringe Videos: Walter Is Drug ‘Tested’ En Route to the Other Side, ‘Meana’ Warns Fauxlivia

Noble says many “big questions” will be answered in the season finale airing May 11 — including the matter of Olivia being fated to die (and whether the animated episode’s “Mr. X” figures into it) and Walter shouldering the burden of responsibility for the warring universes. Viewers also can expect a surprise on the villainy front (David Robert Jones plays “a very big part, but not as big as you think,” Noble teased. “There’s something bigger.”)

But as Joshua Jackson told us Thursday night, “The writers have given themselves a device by which we can tell a fifth-season story without having to leave this season’s story open.”

Although Lance Reddick, who plays Broyles, could not elaborate on the alternate endings, he did affirm, “The way [Season 4] ends could function as a series finale, but there’s one storyline left open that could end up as a cliffhanger for the beginning of the fifth season…. We’ll see what airs depending on what [Fox and WBTV] decide.”

Fringe‘s Top-Secret, Twisty Episode 19: What Do the First Photos Reveal?

If Fox does pull the trigger on some semblance of a Season 5 – be it a truncated 13-episode order or what have you – viewers will get a clue as to that new storyline much sooner than they may think.

“The door to the fifth season is opened in Episode 19 (airing April 20),” Jackson told us. “If you watch that, you’ll have an understanding of where they want to take the series.” (Possible clue/spoiler alert: Episode 19 takes place in the year 2036 and features a “game-changing battle” between the Fringe team and the Observers.)

But as for where things currently stand with the renewal order…. “I hear warm and fuzzy things — but I’ve been hearing them all the time,” Noble said. “We just picked up [TV Guide Magazine's] fan award for Best Drama and so forth, and the fans have always been very supportive… [and] I know the Fox executives actually like Fringe very much. But they run a business. I think we’ll be back, but we’ll wait and see.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

1. Manton says:

C’mon Fringe. We’re rooting for you!

2. ((Literally praying for a renewal i dont think Fox realise how many people will cry if they cancel us))

3. Phht. Of course they’ll be back. Why is everyone so freaked out??

Phht.

-goes into back room to freak the f**k out-

4. They are seem positive on a S5 as if they have been told something but I guess its not a certain renewal yet. Though TVLine has them listed as a “sure thing” Please Fox tell us something good. This wait is really nerve wracking

5. dhg says:

Yes Fox runs a business but then there are some shows that go beyond money.This is one of those shows.This time art needs to be put ahead of money.

Fox needs to show courage and that the network is about more than massive profits.The network really needs to let this story come to a complete ending…let the artwork be completed.

• Agent Smith says:

Art before money?? In Hollywood?? hahahaha. I agree with you, but I have a lot of opinions about the way the world “should” work. But I don’t hold my breath. Regarding FRINGE, I would think they are happy cracking the 100 episode mark, for syndication reasons. But it will suffer the same fate as Lost in syndication, i.e.: It’s hard to just pick up in one random episode.

6. They shot two endings. Ah so nervous this could be the end :(

7. mara says:

I’m glad they shot two endings, just in case Fox decides to make a bad decision. But for the love of god this show NEEDS to come back for at least a 5th season. I will set myself on fire if it doesn’t.

LONG LIVE FRINGE

8. John Berggren says:

Fox would generate a lot of good will with me if they allowed any type of season 5 13/22. Of course without 22 where would episode 19 go?
    I’d love to think 10 years from now, Fringe could support a theatrical movie – after all the people who don’t know what they are missing get a chance to watch the complete series.

9. Kaa says:

One would hope that Fox and WB execs sit down and ask themselves if they really got into the TV business just to produce reality shows.

Dear executives who appreciate quality TV… shows like Fringe are likely the reason you got into the TV business, they are the reason why you work so hard to keep your networks and companies on top by producing popular but mindless television. A show like this comes along only a few times in your career. You can afford to give it a final 13 episodes. It’s not an open-ended proposition. It’s not going to break your bank.

• davey says:

Brilliant post!
      Thank you….

• tonijames says:

what kaa said +1000

• James says:

I totally agree, and to add on to it. if you want to think of it as a buisness thats ok, but they need to understand that Fringe is still a revenue stream it might not be what the want, but Fox line up is taken a huge hit House is done, Alcatraz is decent but i don’t see it surviving, the finder is generic, there one money maker I’m sorry to say is American Idol, but I garantee that it they don’t solidfy a good scripted drama line up they’re gona loose far more, and will be barried by ABC and CBS, Fringe needs to be allowed to run its course uninhimbered, and if they pull a Chuck and give it 13 episode arc it will be an insult, and i for one will only tune in to fox for sports and thats it. and if you must cut the budget than do it, Fringe is brilliant because of its writing, characters, and acting. Not because of its expensive CG, sets, etc.

10. madeinsuedois says:

Fingers crossed! Fringe is amazing this year and it’s the last strong SF show on a big network, I hope Fox will keep that in mind.. but as always, there’s the money problem..

11. MusicFan says:

Just want to express my support for this wonderful show.

12. Jen says:

I love Fringe, and if the executives at Fox have any kind of brain, they will renew this amazing show for at least one more season.

13. Rooting for a fantastic show.

14. Kaa says:

If there was a season 5, they could have the “special” episode be episode 509 1/2.

15. Arron Clohessy says:

Fringe seems to be limiting the possibilities in a way that allows the viewers to have more investment in its characters which can’t happen if the slate can be wiped clean everytime the storyline reaches a precipice. Ratings will go up. Fox – have the writers create a 2 hour episode that cuts together main plot points and character development lines. Air it 3 times 3 weeks before a Season 5 premier. Also, have celebrity fans introduce their favourite episodes in the 3 weeks prior to Season 5. Guaranteed to work if Fringe writers allow the audience to have more investment in the characters – you only care about investments that are not guaranteed.

• Mikael says:

I think that would work. ABC just did it with Revenge. It recapped the entire 1st season so far in just 1 hour. I think they also used to do that with Lost. If Fox did that with Fringe, I think it would be a big help to get potential new viewers up to date.

• Kaa says:

Fox has already done this. They produced an entire 48 minute series of recap web videos and promoted them heavily before the start of Season 4. But because the show is not higher rated like Lost, it’s not likely they would air this on TV.

16. QJ201 says:

Give Fringe at least a 13 episode finale season. That will bring the total of episodes to 100 (the “magic” number for syndication sales).

17. austen says:

please please please be renewed. I can’t see how Fox wouldn’t renew this. It might get low ratings but it has such a loyal fanbase and more people are catching on by the day!

18. Peggy says:

I’m rooting for a renewal. Let’s have a season 5 FOX. LOVE this show!!!!!!!!! :)

19. camila says:

continued fringe for more long time, please

20. Kathy says:

Does Fringe have low ratings? Does anyone know?

21. Bishopsgirl says:

hopeful for a season 5..who needs anymore reality tv..alt -reality is what its all about :) #FringeFriday

22. cortexifan says:

“In the end I have to believe in HOPE”.
    This is the best show on TV.
    FOX, thank you for supporting it so far, please continue.

23. Lisa Anderson says:

Absolutely, without a doubt, my FAVORITE show! They have to keep Fringe going1LOVE, LOVE, Love this show!!! Keep ‘em coming!

24. Nicole says:

As much as I DONT want FOX to cancel Fringe, I just wish they would make a decision already. Why drag it out? If they’re going to cancel it just do it, I really hate the waiting. I’d much rather know now!

• From my understanding a big part of the renewal hinges on what kind of deal they can make with Warner Brothers who they license the show from which is always a tricky and lengthy process.

25. Jack R says:

Dear FOX, Just PUT THIS SHOW ON ANOTHER NIGHT! It’s quality. Seriously, it’s leaps and bounds over Alcatraz.. Put it on Mondays where it can breath as a genre show.. with no other genre show competition to split its audience on an otherwise low viewer night anyway.. not rocket science.

26. Rob says:

Fringe is the best network show out there right now and deserves a final season.

The is a bigger problem at the moment with US TV – your damn rating system!!!

Shows get cancelled so quickly nowadays it seems a show surviving is no longer the norm. I live in the UK and what these networks seem to forget is that if you keep cancelling your shows, changing the air dates, putting shows on a break for months at a time etc, you are also losing international audiences. Because cancellation is now the norm, viewers are no longer willing to invest in a show with any type of extended mythology – Alcatraz is a prime example – I am really enjoying the show but it is clear viewers aren’t willing to invest their time as it is not a show you can just dip in and out of; if Lost came out now, it would probably have been cancelled!!!

Networks – you have to THINK – only launch these shows if YOU are willing to invest – make the showrunners give you a clear outline for at least 3 strong seasons etc – otherwise just don’t bother, it’s a waste of time and money! At least Lost, by the end of season 3, told viewers the story would be done after 6 seasons – we need more of this; showrunners shouldn’t be just hoping the show will run and run – it won’t – so take a fully planned show to the execs.

I am rooting for all the hard work and exemplary production values of Fringe to be rewarded with a fifth and final season – let the cast say goodbye to their characters and give loyal fans the RESPECT they deserve with a proper ending!

A frustrated UK viewer!

• Gisele says:

Yup, I completely agree with you, Rob. Fringe brings something to network television that just doesn’t or barely exists in that business. Just keep in mind, FOX, that the most famous works of art were not always the most popular during their time. Take Shakespeare, for example. Everyone knows about him and his works are among the most famous pieces of literature in the world! During his time, there was another writer, Christopher Marlowe, He was MORE popular, his works brought MORE money, but now, who knows about him? Who reads his works? Not as many people. Quality lasts, so please give Fringe a 5th season to wrap things up properly.

A frustrated, yet loyal Canadian viewer! Long live Fringe!

27. wayne says:

Totally agree with you Rob, I’m also in the UK so know how you feel!

C’Mon Fox, we deserve a season to at least close the book on this fantastic show.

28. Meep says:

Everyone should start sending white tulips (drawings or real!) to Fox headquarters….

29. Paige says:

Fringe is the best thing tv has right now. I am going to freak out if it is cancelled; this show is my biggest obsession ever. At least it actually causes its viewers to use their brains and think critically about what is happening. The acting is extraordinary also! I just won’t be able to handle a cancellation :'( PLEASE RENEW!

30. M says:

This show is out of it’s league with all the other shows on all the other serie’s out there.This
    show is a brain useing show. Just not anothe zombie or wolf show or monster makeing show.. If you have seen one you know what is going to happen. Their is so much more to this show is in there realm of posibilty. Plus laughter , tenderness, love and family togetherness, and still all the supense you can handle to make you hardly be able to wait another week to find out. Put in another time slot !!I There are other show’s being canceled so don’t give up on such a great show. I agree with Jack R. This is such a quality show!! Nothing out there like it. Why would you lose such a FAN BASED SHOW??? you surely don’t think we would watch any of those other show’s do you really???? You shouldn’t have put it in the so called death tilme slot.. I perticurely don’t like monday night’s, or tuesday night’s or thursday’s night’s shows. Anthing being cancelled on those show night’s?? Even Sunday night’s. We fan’s will follow any night. We love it that much!!!!! HOW ABOUT ALL THE OTHER FAN’S ALL OVER THE WORLD THAT FOLLOW AND CAN’T VOTE HERE??? PLEASE RETHINK THIS SHOW’S POSSIBILITIES !!!! PLEASE GIVE THIS SHOW TO IT’S DEDICATD FAN’S !!!!! I AM STILL GETTING NEW FAN’S FOR THIS SHOW ……I BUY THE CD’S AND LOAN THE TAPES OUT SO THEY CAN SEE FROM THE BEGINNING !!! AND IT IS ALREADY WORKING FOR MY FAMILIE !!!

31. We need you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Joe says:

Full season 5 of Fringe please.

33. Egnirf says:

With these comments about closing chapters,mr X , and only leaving 1 storyline open and that 4.19 is what season 5 will be like, I am not sure I want a season 5 if it means losing most of the characters and maybe castmembers
    I love every version of Olivia Dunham , as long as she is played by Anna Torv.
    Same goes for the other characters and actors.
    Fringe without Olivia Dunham and the amazing Anna Torv is no Fringe for me.

• PattyDuke says:

Since when do you care about the other characters or actors? One day you are loving Seth gabel, then when seth is getting praised, you act seth is a horrible guy. You also bash Josh and spread lies about him, tarnishing his name and reputation. One day you love John because he praises Anna but then when he gets an episode where he shines and people love hm in it, you blame John Noble for people “ignoring” your precious anna torv. Once Fringe gets cancelled, YOU WILL GO AWAY FOREVER, You are a horrible human being who hates it when people treat anna like crap but you go off bashing EVERY SINGLE CASTMEMBER on this show.

34. Teag says:

Glad they shot 2 endings. Smart of them.

35. Alex says:

I’m from Ukraine. In our country millions fans of Fringe. We have a studio,which translated the show into Russian for free. Shows that make you think, are very popular in former USSR. Pity that our votes have no effect. Fringe, Ukraine with you, we hope for renewal.

Sorry for my bad English

36. John DeMayo says:

Why has “Fringe” been upgraded to “A Sure Thing” for renewal?

What does tvline know that we don’t?!?!

37. Louise says:

Pretty please Fox Execs!!!..I want my fringe fix :-)

38. Kara says:

Please renew Fringe. I’m a daddy’s girl and this show is something special I share with my father. We watch it and discuss it and discuss it. It’s the one thing my dad and I stop our busy schedules and lives to relax and watch. We love it and don’t take that away from us. Please don’t leave us hanging! And don’t put the wonderful actors and writers out of a job!I hate to bring this up but please don’t make this the next Firefly! GIVE US A 5TH SEASON!

39. ingrown says:

Renew fringe! Best show in decades!

40. Amir says:

go fringe go

41. Stephen S. says:

A battle between the Fringe team and the Observers?!!! God, PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW FOX! I MUST see that if that is the story! It would be SO epic!

42. rubytu says:

I hate the way people have given up and are asking for a season 5 finale season! I want season 5, and 6, and 7……..

43. I am rooting for all the hard work and exemplary production values of Fringe to be rewarded with a fifth and final season

44. There’s something that Fox needs to understand, if they don’t already: they have made something truly great here. To end it prematurely would be an insult to the fantastic artistry of the story, the acting, and cinematography up to this point (not to mention disappointing the committed following the show has). To put it straight, if they kill the show early, they will ultimately be killing a large slice of art.
    So, Fox TV execs, if you need a reason to keep it around other than this, Fringe will sell a LOT better post series finale if you give it at least one more season. The true potential of this show, production wise and financially, has yet to be fully realized.

45. If Fox does pull the trigger on some semblance of a Season 5 – be it a truncated 13-episode order or what have you

46. Mindy says:

Please give Fringe one more season. This is a really interesting show. A very unique show. Please, FOX, give the show enough time to properly end. Tell them in advance how many episodes they have until the end. A show of this quality deserves to have a proper ending. Even if it is just 13 episodes, that is fine. Please please please.

47. ChastityCur says:

48. FringeFan says:

Perhaps I’m the only person that feels this way, but I’m sort of hoping for the show to end soon…if not the end of this season, then maybe after a short epilogue-like season 5 to tie up the loose ends. I do not want this show to outstay its welcome, or to draw out the story indefinitely. I believe that well written stories have beginnings and endings, and that this one is nearing a close. I don’t want the show to become a hamster wheel, endlessly spinning pointlessly… I, for one, want closure and completion to this incredible series before it get old and tired.

But that’s just me.

• Gisele says:

I see what you mean, and I agree. Fringe should have the opportunity to end right, not prematurely, and definitely not overstaying its welcome! A short season 5 is fine.

49. Please renew Fringe! It’s the best show on TV! I wish the antiquated Nielsen ratings system was no longer used to judge how many people are watching a show. I do not have a TV so I watch Fringe on Hulu, and there are probably lots of other people that are too, as well as on Amazon and ITunes. Times have changed and how people watch TV has also changed and I think that there are a lot more people than 3 million, as judged by Nielsen boxes, that are watching this show each week. There are also people in other countries that watch it as well. For example, new episodes also air in Canada weekly. Why don’t those ratings count for anything? If network TV would move in to the 21st Century and realize that people don’t only watch shows on TV anymore, and also watch TV online and on portable devices, then maybe they could have a more accurate representation of the numbers and high quality shows like Fringe would not risk cancellation, but instead they cling to outdated 20th century notions of TV viewing that present inaccurate data about how many people are watching a show. This frustrates me to no end!

• Dopplelganger Blue says:

And this Friday night thing is filling my DVR, which doesen’t even go into the ratings system. It’s FRIDAY! Gotta go out, not stay in!!!

• I AGREE!!! I know literally a hundred people here in New Zealand that watch Fringe, but not on tv, they watch it online! It’s played on tv here, but we’re all too impatient to wait for our tv to catch up, so instead we watch it online. You should really have a look at fan sites such as fringepedia, or fringebloggers, because they’re very active sites, and only the special tv shows have such dedicated fans like us!
      With the tv show Firefly, after it got cancelled, fans kept on loving the show! They still do now, 10 YEARS LATER. This will happen with Fringe too – it will continue to be a part of our lives for as long as we live. So please, rethink the way you count your viewers! This is ridiculous!

50. mercedes says:

i love fringe! please give us all a season 5. i’m only 13 and this is my favorite. or me i’m a girl that has a hard time loving confusing sci fi shows but the actors/actresses are fantastic, plot is wonderful, script is the best and every little detail is perfect. please give me, my dad, my grandma, dad’s girlfriend and all other fans one more season more than 13 episodes. the actors, writers and producers all like working on the show no doubt about it so keep it going i just know it will be worth your money, time and effort plus i bet you’ll make money.