Grey's Anatomy Scoop: St. Elsewhere's William Daniels Scrubs In as Cristina's [Spoiler]

Get More: Casting News

William Daniels Grey's AnatomyWilliam Daniels, a winner of two Emmy Awards during his run as St. Elsewhere‘s Dr. Mark Craig, is playing doctor again — in a potentially pivotal episode of Grey’s Anatomy.

In one of the ABC drama’s final episodes of the season, Daniels will play one of the doctors overseeing the medical boards being taken by the Seattle Grace residents.

“it’s actually really hilarious!” Sandra Oh told TVLine of the episode, which was directed by her scene partner Kevin McKidd. “I just shot the entire boards episode with the wonderful William Daniels, who played Cristina’s proctor. It was phenomenal to be working opposite him.”

In addition to St. Elsewhere, Daniels’ TV credits include Boy Meets World and the voice of Knight Rider‘s K.I.T.T. His big screen resume includes the role of Dustin Hoffman’s father in The Graduate.

Grey’s Anatomy returns with fresh episodes this Thursday at 9/8c. (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Comments (41)

• FEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNAAAHHHHAAAAAAAA

Comment by Bernadette – April 3, 2012 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FEE-HEE-HEE-HEENY!

Comment by Slizabeth – April 3, 2012 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Feeny. Gotta love TVLine thinking we know William Daniels from St. Elsewhere and not Boy Meets World. C’mon, it’s FEE-HEE-HEE-HEENY!

Comment by Stacie – April 3, 2012 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was just going to write that! Feeeenyy.

Comment by lorna – April 3, 2012 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think it’s more about his stint as a doctor rather than popular roles. But I totally agree….gotta love Feeny!!

Comment by Jessica – April 3, 2012 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lol. You’re comment made me laugh:)

Comment by FairyTaleLover – April 3, 2012 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s Mr. Feeny! Don’t catch GA much anymore but maybe I’ll tune in for this episode.

Comment by P – April 3, 2012 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • William Daniel’s BEST role, in my opinion, was John Adams in 1776! But, I love him. Dr Mark Craig was also fantastic. Very glad to hear he’ll be on Grey’s.

Comment by Bobbi – April 3, 2012 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I loved him in 1776! It’s hard to forget him as Mr. Feeny for those of us who grew up with Boy Meets World, but he’s always great to watch. Excited about this one.

Comment by Dom R. (@PrettyGirlBPD) – April 3, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I love that movie. But seeing him back in a lab coat is awesome too!

Comment by Michelle – April 3, 2012 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I SO agree – Loved him as John Adams – and actually saw him on stage in NYC during Spring Break in 1971… “1776″ was his best venue as far as I’m concerned!! :-)

Comment by Mimi – April 11, 2012 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought he was playing her step-dad for a moment. Haha.

Comment by Jarrod – April 3, 2012 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FEEENEY. FE-HEE-HEE-HEE-HEENEY! FEEEEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!

Comment by ktbanks – April 3, 2012 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve broken up with Grey’s, but if Daniels is guesting, I’ll definitely tune in. Dr. Craig is one of the best tv characters of all time.

Comment by Suz – April 3, 2012 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can they get Ben Savage to guest for this episode as well? That would be amazing.

Comment by KSM – April 3, 2012 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A Dr. Will Freidle would be AWESOME!

Comment by Crystal – April 3, 2012 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Paging Dr. Matthews…” yep, make it happen!

Comment by Bernadette – April 3, 2012 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • OMG, YES PLEASE!! Lol.

Comment by Erica – April 3, 2012 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • YES YES YES!!!!

Comment by Safia – April 3, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! I’d love another Bonnie Bartlett cameo as his wife. Any hope for Howie Mandel or Ed Begley, Jr. down the road (Denzel Washington might be a little too much to hope for, although that may (finally) get him that acting triple crown!)?

Comment by Nate – April 3, 2012 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Feeney i still love him! when i saw the pic for this story all i could think of was “Boy Meets Worl” and Eric yelling, Feeney Feeeney Fee-eee-ney!!

Comment by staci – April 3, 2012 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking at this picture reminds me of just how long ago Boy Meets world was, he’s looking a little up there in age!

Comment by Carrie – April 3, 2012 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow! I just checked. He’s 85! I never would have guessed that.

Comment by Bobbi – April 3, 2012 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know…it made me realise (again) that I’m no longer a teenager, but an adult :(

Comment by Safia – April 3, 2012 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really looking forward to this!

Comment by mims – April 3, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Feeny!

I see he went from middle school to high school to university professor to medical school proctor. Good for him.

Comment by Sean C. – April 3, 2012 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can I mention that there is only one season of St. Elsewhere available on DVD? The same one season that has been available for years now?

Comment by Michelle R. (@MsMichelleR) – April 3, 2012 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sit down, John! Sit down, John! For God’s sake, John, sit down!

Comment by filmbuff90 – April 3, 2012 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was the greatest “obnoxious and unliked” character ever.

Comment by CJ – April 4, 2012 12:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m 17 and I remember watching every episode of boy meets world as a little kid. I love fee hee hee heeny. And Eric for that matter. So happy he is going to be in Greys anatomy this week. My now favorite series.

Comment by Cheyenne – April 11, 2012 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am old, so only know him as the voice of Knight Industries Two Thousand. KITT

That was before IPhone IPad even before Internet. Artificial intelligence was just a dream. Mr Daniels was my original SIRI. Thank You sir for my childhood.

Comment by Old – May 5, 2012 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Makes me wonder if the intention was that Daniels was in fact Dr. Mark Craig giving Christina Yang her exam. If I recall Dr Craig was also a heart surgeon.

Comment by Q – May 12, 2012 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FFFFFFEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by I – August 20, 2012 05:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s Dr. Crag. Ed Begley Jr. Is “Erlich”. & neither drove ‘smart cars’

Comment by Laura – October 18, 2012 09:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant, absolutely brilliant death seen on Grey’s!! The mouth was do perfect, the eyes it was the best death scene…and Dr. Thomas will be missed he wad good for Yang, but glad she’s back with the gang…

Comment by Gretchen Parkus – November 10, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Gretchen. Death scene was perfect! His eyes spoke volumes! William Daniels is a national treasure.

Comment by Lauren Michele Seals – November 11, 2012 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He should absolutely win an Emmy for these episodes! He put more into those scenes, and his character brought more out of Yang, than anyone has ever done. I agree that he is a National Treasure. i sure will miss him, but WOW, what a way to go out!

Comment by vicki sussman – November 12, 2012 08:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a navy nurse in Great Lakes,,,that hospital was exactly the structure of my bldg.,,,,imagine Lake Michigan as you’re back yard!!! Best show ,,,,the mechanical bed,,, where’s the intern ended up as an Oreo cookie!!! Dr Craig ezcelkant on Greys anatomy ,,,, miss the real reality shows,,,,,,hate tech,,,,,life really was better ,,then,,,,,, reality tv now,,,,,,, bacholette really, as George carlin put if
    So much technology,,,,,,,,and now there’s so ,,, little time!!
    I’m ready to do a documentary, so much of our lives will DEFINATELY be lost, to cyber,,, I don’t need to keep up, I just don’t want it to be forgotten!!! Spike lee, ya listening??? 570 3884277

Comment by Paula gosciewski Tracy – November 27, 2012 10:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Day dealing can be a very popular sort of investing this
    marketplaces on account of your current capability to get into in addition to depart just about any market place
    within minutes. This is very different from people who put money into
    Fx, products, or perhaps shares due to absolute velocity
    in which you may both equally revenue in addition to get rid of your investment
    decision. 60 Second Options features selected about the many erratic and profitable belongings so as to
    be sure that it is possible to benefit. In add-on 60 Second Options gives fantastic expense bundles while viewed on their depositing webpage including huge expenditure additional bonuses, private professional direction and many some other advantages.

Comment by 60 Second Options – June 29, 2013 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post