Fox Renews Bones For an Eighth Season

Get More: News, Renewals

Bones Season 8This Just In: Bones has legs!

Fox has renewed the long-running hit for an eighth season, the network announced on Thursday.

The news comes ahead of the show’s return to the schedule on Monday after nearly three months off the air.

“Over the past seven seasons, [series creator] Hart Hanson, [exec producer] Stephen Nathan and the incredible Bones cast and crew have redefined the traditional crime procedural with an irreverent and adventurous sensibility,” Fox president Kevin Reilly said in a statement. “I’m really happy to have this distinctive, fan-favorite on our schedule for another season.”

Earlier this month, Hanson hinted at PaleyFest ’12 that Fox was considering picking up the show for an eighth and ninth season. It’s not clear why they opted for a one-season renewal instead.

In a conference call with reporters on Wednesday, Nathan said an eighth season would give the show a chance to tackle several storylines that were sidelined due to this year’s shortened episode count. “We weren’t able to give some of the other characters that we love – Hodgins and Cam – more extensive arcs,” he revealed. “We will be doing that if we get picked up.”

The renewal also ensures that Bones will breeze past the 150th episode milestone. Hmm… I wonder what special event producers have cooked up for that installment.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect today’s news.

Tags: ,

Comments (58)

• AWESOME

Comment by Velvet – March 29, 2012 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SQUEE best news ever

Comment by Karen – March 29, 2012 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!! This just made my day!

Comment by English – March 29, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well-deserved renewal to me!

Comment by Justin – March 29, 2012 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any news re: Alcatraz? Fringe? I have been on pins and needles!

Comment by kirads09 – March 29, 2012 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alcatraz is likely to be canceled. Fringe, may get picked up for a last season

Comment by Jerri – March 29, 2012 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Really Fringe might get picked up ? With these ratings ?

Comment by max – March 29, 2012 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

Comment by Laura – March 29, 2012 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • great news. But do like CBS does with NCIS, and have its Spinoff The Finder on after it, or before.

Comment by webruce – March 29, 2012 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree

Comment by Boiler – March 29, 2012 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. The Finder can never replace Bones, and this is what some of the fans have against the show. (it was put in place on Bones whilst Bones was on hiatus) Which is why the ratings aren’t good. However, if it were to follow Bones, it’s likely ratings will be okay. C’Mon Fox, do the smart thing, for once, and had The Finder follow Bones

Comment by Jerri – March 29, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This. I’m really enjoying Finder, and if this idea can help keep it, that would be great.

Comment by DreamRose311 – March 29, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree completely!! Finder after Bones would be good.

Comment by debbie nelson – March 29, 2012 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • We should put this idea on Fox.com too.

Comment by webruce – March 29, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • soon these will be the only good show that horrible network has

Comment by Michael – March 29, 2012 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just fear that Finder will be sacrificed for Fringe.

Comment by smidnite – March 29, 2012 10:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Finder is dead regardless of Fringe’s fate. It’s been a total dud.

Comment by CJ – March 29, 2012 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Amazing news – another year of Bones, how wonderful.

Big smiles over here :)

Comment by sophia7470 – March 29, 2012 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One more show slot filled – good for Bones fans, bad for fans of some of the other shows on the edge of extinction.

Comment by John – March 29, 2012 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Re150th

Probably some lame clip show as they all seem to feel the need to do on anniversary shows.

Comment by J Jones – March 29, 2012 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No i sure it would be more like the 100th episode!

Comment by Alison – March 29, 2012 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Which very nearly killed me where I sat!

Comment by O'Brien – March 29, 2012 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then you didn’t see the 100th episode. That was certainly not any lame clip show. It was an amazing episode even if it was heartbreaking.

Comment by Lisa – March 29, 2012 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The 100th is like my favorite episode ever. As much as it was heart wrenching, it was so amazing and hot. I can’t wait to see what they do for the 150th!

Comment by Jillian – March 29, 2012 09:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great!! Amazing news!!! :D This made my day!

Comment by Davide Gambino – March 29, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This news made my day!!!!

Comment by Alison – March 29, 2012 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Made. My. Day.

Now please just renew Fringe and my life will be complete.

Comment by BonesFringeFan – March 29, 2012 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAAAAY! Wonderful news!!

I don’t watch Fringe, but now I’m keeping my fingers crossed for those fans. Good luck, guys! This Bones fan has your back. :)

Comment by Alanna – March 29, 2012 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s the nicest thing a Fringe non-fan has ever said towards my favorite show! Thanks – and congrats on your fave show renewal (not a Bones watcher here but have a friend who is obsessed)!

Comment by davey – March 29, 2012 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re very welcome! I know what it feels like to love a show & hope for its renewal. Good luck, davey!

Comment by Alanna – March 29, 2012 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s just so sweet. As an equal parts Bones and Fringe addict it makes me so happy to see this!

Comment by BonesFringeFan – March 29, 2012 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Bout damn time they announced that!

Comment by Denise – March 29, 2012 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wasn’t surprised but good to know for sure I guess!

Comment by Annika – March 29, 2012 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any hear anything on renewal chances for private practice? And is this info updated new

Comment by Jason – March 29, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Excellent news :)

Comment by Christina – March 29, 2012 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congrats Bones fans. I’m hating Fox right now, but glad they made y’all happy.

Comment by Renee – March 29, 2012 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A bit predictable…
    But happy for the hard core Bones fans… And good luck for nxt fall -to not been let down by the network (whatever the reasons like: salaries dispute/ratings and decreasing storyline)
    But more worried about Fringe’s faith…

Comment by J – March 29, 2012 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @jillian- Congratulations on having Bones picked for another year. Good luck next season!!! I wish B&B & their little one all the best!!!

Comment by you know who – March 29, 2012 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Exciting to hear the official word! But as I think about it, this was pretty inevitable. With House ending this season, Bones is probably FOX’s highest rated drama. They need to hold the drama viewers in somehow. Can’t get everyone with Glee and New Girl.

Comment by Callie – March 29, 2012 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY?! Bones is now a bonafide soap opera.

Comment by Tania – March 29, 2012 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not a soap opera. They still solve murders.

Comment by Jillian – March 29, 2012 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The reason is because they get good ratings. Seas 6 it was ranked 29. I’m sure had it not been for the shortened season 7 was 48 out of 152 shows(which is nothing to sneeze at considering that still places them in top show status. There ratings had been improving with the exception of this brief season. That’s why

Comment by lynn – May 26, 2012 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Sorry I hate spelling errors: Season 6; their ratings

Comment by lynn – May 26, 2012 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know if the upcoming season of BONES is going to be its last or perhaps Season Nine, but it’s too early to tell.

Comment by bad kevin – March 29, 2012 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People talking about The Finder? Shows you the kind of leftover fans Bones relies on now.
    Wrap things up next season and give another show a chance next season.
    People can point to Bones and CSI as proof of why cable dramas rule now.

Comment by HHH – March 29, 2012 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fox has given plenty of shows a chance but the ratings don’t hold, don’t blame Bones for that.

Comment by Mar – March 29, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brilliant news. Love Bones and so deserves more.

Comment by greysfan – March 29, 2012 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If any show deserves to get canceled it’s Bones.

Comment by Eh – March 29, 2012 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. If any show deserves a 10 year renewal, it’s this show!

Comment by Jillian – March 29, 2012 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why would anybody be surprised about the renewal of Bones. As a fan from the beginning , I have enjoyed the unfolding of a fantastic relational which brings us to the birth of B&Bs baby. They have had eye for each other, guy hugs? and almost kisses. Oh maybe a sort of kiss which was not to be construed as a lovefest. Well guess what you can go along with this theme for so long and something has to give. Congratulations to Hanson/Nathen for seeing the time had come for LOVE. Now for those naysayers who think a baby will spoil the essence of the show–well how often have we seen Angelas baby? Our dynamic duo will come back to do that which they have been doing solving gruesome crimes. I cannot imagine David and Emily not giving us the stellar performances that have been in the past. Emmys to the entire cast and as a grandmother of 75 who texts with my 20+ granddaughter about the shows .tells you the enthusiasm and wide range of the fans’ BONES WELCOME BACKfor the rest of the 7th season and on to the 8th and 9th and 10th!! How many of those reality and dance shows will have videos in the future as Bones has. I could get them at the library!!!

Comment by Anne Schuch – April 2, 2012 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish Finder could’ve made it.

Comment by Cindy – April 5, 2012 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AHHH … I can’t wait to see what will happen next… I a real bones fan… <3

Comment by Naomi – April 13, 2012 09:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There seems to be a problem. This e-mail is dated April 14th.
      The announcement was dated March 29th and I commented on April 2nd. You can see my comments today still.. THERE SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM>

Comment by Anne Schuch – April 14, 2012 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bones needs to end or get rid of Booth. The enitre cast except Jack H is female (Booth Char included) he needs to take his lady parts away and evaluate himself

Comment by James – April 20, 2012 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are you on something?

Comment by Anne Schuch – April 20, 2012 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do you no when Bones will be back on what month and what day and what time.

Comment by Virginia – June 19, 2012 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As A fan forever of Bones, I am trilled about season 8. But of late the twitters from David Boreanaz have been very disturbing. His comments to the effect that he is a free agent now and who knows what will happen in the future. If this is not just hype(although Hart has had to do some damage control, cimmenting he got 400 e-mails immediately after David’s comments) than I would say I am very sad that although I realize loyalty is hard to come by in this business, I thought the Bones series stimulated such fandom that David would continue to be the Seeley Booth we love. Please do not givr this 76 yr old grandmother aceda(heartburn) It’s not nice to make a grandmother sad!!!

Comment by Anne Schuch – June 19, 2012 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post