Fox Renews Bones For an Eighth Season

Bones Season 8This Just In: Bones has legs!

Fox has renewed the long-running hit for an eighth season, the network announced on Thursday.

The news comes ahead of the show’s return to the schedule on Monday after nearly three months off the air.

“Over the past seven seasons, [series creator] Hart Hanson, [exec producer] Stephen Nathan and the incredible Bones cast and crew have redefined the traditional crime procedural with an irreverent and adventurous sensibility,” Fox president Kevin Reilly said in a statement. “I’m really happy to have this distinctive, fan-favorite on our schedule for another season.”

Earlier this month, Hanson hinted at PaleyFest ’12 that Fox was considering picking up the show for an eighth and ninth season. It’s not clear why they opted for a one-season renewal instead.

In a conference call with reporters on Wednesday, Nathan said an eighth season would give the show a chance to tackle several storylines that were sidelined due to this year’s shortened episode count. “We weren’t able to give some of the other characters that we love – Hodgins and Cam – more extensive arcs,” he revealed. “We will be doing that if we get picked up.”

The renewal also ensures that Bones will breeze past the 150th episode milestone. Hmm… I wonder what special event producers have cooked up for that installment.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect today’s news.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News, Renewals

1. Velvet says:

AWESOME

2. Karen says:

SQUEE best news ever

3. English says:

yaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!! This just made my day!

4. Justin says:

Well-deserved renewal to me!

5. kirads09 says:

Any news re: Alcatraz? Fringe? I have been on pins and needles!

6. Laura says:

WHOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

7. webruce says:

great news. But do like CBS does with NCIS, and have its Spinoff The Finder on after it, or before.

8. Michael says:

soon these will be the only good show that horrible network has

9. sophia7470 says:

Yay! Amazing news – another year of Bones, how wonderful.

Big smiles over here :)

10. John says:

One more show slot filled – good for Bones fans, bad for fans of some of the other shows on the edge of extinction.

11. J Jones says:

Re150th

Probably some lame clip show as they all seem to feel the need to do on anniversary shows.

12. Great!! Amazing news!!! :D This made my day!

13. Alison says:

This news made my day!!!!

14. BonesFringeFan says:

YES! Made. My. Day.

Now please just renew Fringe and my life will be complete.

15. Alanna says:

YAAAAY! Wonderful news!!

I don’t watch Fringe, but now I’m keeping my fingers crossed for those fans. Good luck, guys! This Bones fan has your back. :)

• davey says:

That’s the nicest thing a Fringe non-fan has ever said towards my favorite show! Thanks – and congrats on your fave show renewal (not a Bones watcher here but have a friend who is obsessed)!

• BonesFringeFan says:

That’s just so sweet. As an equal parts Bones and Fringe addict it makes me so happy to see this!

16. Denise says:

“Bout damn time they announced that!

17. Annika says:

I wasn’t surprised but good to know for sure I guess!

18. Jason says:

Any hear anything on renewal chances for private practice? And is this info updated new

19. Christina says:

Excellent news :)

20. Renee says:

Congrats Bones fans. I’m hating Fox right now, but glad they made y’all happy.

21. J says:

A bit predictable…
    But happy for the hard core Bones fans… And good luck for nxt fall -to not been let down by the network (whatever the reasons like: salaries dispute/ratings and decreasing storyline)
    But more worried about Fringe’s faith…

22. you know who says:

@jillian- Congratulations on having Bones picked for another year. Good luck next season!!! I wish B&B & their little one all the best!!!

23. Callie says:

Exciting to hear the official word! But as I think about it, this was pretty inevitable. With House ending this season, Bones is probably FOX’s highest rated drama. They need to hold the drama viewers in somehow. Can’t get everyone with Glee and New Girl.

24. Tania says:

WHY?! Bones is now a bonafide soap opera.

• Jillian says:

It’s not a soap opera. They still solve murders.

• lynn says:

The reason is because they get good ratings. Seas 6 it was ranked 29. I’m sure had it not been for the shortened season 7 was 48 out of 152 shows(which is nothing to sneeze at considering that still places them in top show status. There ratings had been improving with the exception of this brief season. That’s why

25. bad kevin says:

Don’t know if the upcoming season of BONES is going to be its last or perhaps Season Nine, but it’s too early to tell.

26. HHH says:

People talking about The Finder? Shows you the kind of leftover fans Bones relies on now.
    Wrap things up next season and give another show a chance next season.
    People can point to Bones and CSI as proof of why cable dramas rule now.

27. greysfan says:

Brilliant news. Love Bones and so deserves more.

28. Eh says:

If any show deserves to get canceled it’s Bones.

29. Anne Schuch says:

Why would anybody be surprised about the renewal of Bones. As a fan from the beginning , I have enjoyed the unfolding of a fantastic relational which brings us to the birth of B&Bs baby. They have had eye for each other, guy hugs? and almost kisses. Oh maybe a sort of kiss which was not to be construed as a lovefest. Well guess what you can go along with this theme for so long and something has to give. Congratulations to Hanson/Nathen for seeing the time had come for LOVE. Now for those naysayers who think a baby will spoil the essence of the show–well how often have we seen Angelas baby? Our dynamic duo will come back to do that which they have been doing solving gruesome crimes. I cannot imagine David and Emily not giving us the stellar performances that have been in the past. Emmys to the entire cast and as a grandmother of 75 who texts with my 20+ granddaughter about the shows .tells you the enthusiasm and wide range of the fans’ BONES WELCOME BACKfor the rest of the 7th season and on to the 8th and 9th and 10th!! How many of those reality and dance shows will have videos in the future as Bones has. I could get them at the library!!!

30. Cindy says:

Wish Finder could’ve made it.

31. Naomi says:

AHHH … I can’t wait to see what will happen next… I a real bones fan… <3

• Anne Schuch says:

There seems to be a problem. This e-mail is dated April 14th.
      The announcement was dated March 29th and I commented on April 2nd. You can see my comments today still.. THERE SEEMS TO BE A PROBLEM>

32. James says:

Bones needs to end or get rid of Booth. The enitre cast except Jack H is female (Booth Char included) he needs to take his lady parts away and evaluate himself

33. Virginia says:

Do you no when Bones will be back on what month and what day and what time.

34. Anne Schuch says:

As A fan forever of Bones, I am trilled about season 8. But of late the twitters from David Boreanaz have been very disturbing. His comments to the effect that he is a free agent now and who knows what will happen in the future. If this is not just hype(although Hart has had to do some damage control, cimmenting he got 400 e-mails immediately after David’s comments) than I would say I am very sad that although I realize loyalty is hard to come by in this business, I thought the Bones series stimulated such fandom that David would continue to be the Seeley Booth we love. Please do not givr this 76 yr old grandmother aceda(heartburn) It’s not nice to make a grandmother sad!!!