The Vampire Diaries' Paul Wesley Reveals Why Stefan/Elena Fans Shouldn't Lose Hope

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Scoop

Vampire Diaires Paul WesleyIt’s been a bumpy road this season on The CW’s The Vampire Diaries (Thursdays, 8/7c) for lovebirds Stefan and Elena. But despite a tough break-up, his descent into darkness and her growing relationship with Damon, Paul Wesley tell us all hope is not lost. In fact, Elena’s latest dilemma will bring the couple together in a united “mission.” Wesley also dishes on Stefan’s feelings about his bro getting closer to his girl and Sage’s arrival in the present.

Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss, Cast Weigh In on Alaric’s [Spoiler] Problem

TVLINE | How successful is Stefan going to be on this new path of moderation?
Only time will tell. I don’t think Stefan is going to, you know, go back to ripping off heads and being maniacally out of control anytime soon, but I don’t know. That’s one of the most important things about Stefan, that no matter how moderate he becomes and how stabilized he is, in supporting that as an actor, I always convey that sense of danger around the corner, that he could potentially bite somebody’s head off at any minute. That’s what makes him compelling and interesting and dynamic.

TVLINE | Elena witnessed him feeding. What does that mean for their relationship in the next episode?
It’s just another reason to not trust him, another reason to push away from him [and] say, “God, this guy is completely out of control, and not the one for me.” It brings to light the reality of their relationship, which is they’ve had so much darkness come between them, it’s almost impossible to go back.

TVLINE | It’s been a very, very tough season for Elena and Stefan. Are there any words of hope you can offer the fans?
The fans should definitely maintain some hope. … The thing to remember is that Stefan and Elena have this love that is so strong, and it was sort of the core of Season 1 — you can’t entirely disregard that. The fans should definitely be aware of the fact that Stefan and Elena are very much a possibility.

Vampire Diaries First Look: Rebekah Tortures Damon, Stefan and Elena Have a ‘Moment’

TVLINE | Are you rooting for them to get together right now? Is that something you’d like to see?
Not necessarily, but I’m also not against it. I just feel like things have to happen naturally, and I don’t want anything force-fed. I don’t want the audience to get sick of any one relationship. Quite truthfully, I think they needed to break up — and I think eventually they’ll need to get back together.

TVLINE | While they were broken up, Elena got a lot closer to Damon. How is Stefan feeling about that relationship and how it’s evolving?
There’s a sense of betrayal, but there’s also an odd sense of inevitability to it. Stefan went down this dark path and made a very conscientious decision to do it. He was aware of the fact that Elena and Damon had a little spark. So I don’t think that he’s been completely taken aback by this. And at the same time, in an odd way — in the most bizarre, twisted way — it’s brought the brothers to a place of camaraderie [because] they’re both in love with the same girl.

Cassidy Freeman Teases ‘Sordid’ Vampire Diaries Threesome, Reigniting Damon’s Bad Boy Ways

Vampire Diaries Nina Dobrev Paul WesleyTVLINE | The big twist in “1912″ involved Alaric and the ring. Does Elena turn to Stefan for help with that issue?
Yes, very much so. That’s what brings them together — this little mission. She comes to Stefan for help, and somehow he decides to help her. That mission is what makes them grow closer, and it allows them to have all these conversations about their own relationship. It serves as a backdrop to their story.

TVLINE | Sage (played by Cassidy Freeman) is back in Mystic Falls this week. What can you tease about her return, and what it means for Damon and Stefan?
She served as a bit of a negative influence actually on the two of them, particularly Damon. She’s much wiser and stronger, so she’s a threat in that regard. She’s definitely not just some pushover. And she becomes a threat in present day, as well.

Comments (43)

• Can’t wait! Really looking forward to tomorrow night’s new episodes of THE VAMPIRE DIARIES and THE SECRET CIRCLE.

Comment by Anon – March 21, 2012 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Im so excited about tomorrow episode!

Comment by Madison – March 21, 2012 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not a fan of sage, maybe i’;ll change my mind. cancel secret circle already! britt can do better,

Comment by lorna – March 21, 2012 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so ready for some really good Stefan and Elena scenes after the season that they have had. For me their love story will always be the heart of the show what ever else happens. Great interview with Paul, even if he is being a bit coy with us fans!

Comment by Kara – March 21, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I echko ur comment 100%, I am so ready for some good #Stelena scenes in tomorrow nights #TVD. I cant believe after 17 episode there was only one somewhat of a kiss between Stefan and Elena; that is so not ok.

Comment by Janice – March 21, 2012 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Stefan in every way!

Comment by Annie23 – March 21, 2012 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Stefan when he is not with Elena. Elena is such a drag she really brings him down.

Comment by Ari – March 22, 2012 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Stefan and Elena! I’m glad that they are getting closer again.

Comment by Jenna – March 21, 2012 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who is disappointed that they teased the entire season of Damon and Elena and there was no follow through (that kiss didn’t count as follow through). If they get Stefan and Elena back together before Damon and her have a real chance (I don’t care about her rebuffs as of late, she’s in denial) then that would be such a waste of anticipation.

Comment by Alex – March 21, 2012 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think that Stefan and Elena are the worst TV couple ever, and it’s sad that all other show characters are much more funny, watch worthy and actually they represent the heart of the show. I really never found their love story as an epic or realistic in any aspect of it. Elena’s explanation of her attachment to Stefan from previous episode was the best line related to them on the show. I really don’t understand the urge by producers and writers to force fans to bite their love story as the core of the show, because it is not the case, at least for my own experience. Both characters are much better and layered when they are separated, expecially Stefan.

Comment by Tamara – March 22, 2012 03:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am disappointed they have not ended this entire Damon/Elena storyline once and for all and am I the only one who has a problem with a person jumping from brother to brother? If you want a hot story line, hook up Damon and Bonnie, sparks would fly literally!

Comment by Joanne – March 22, 2012 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmm…I’m not completely upset by the thought of Elena and Stefan being back on…but maybe that’s because I think Elena and Damon are the end game here. But, I haven’t read anything but the first book, so maybe I’m totally off base, haha. It just has a Sookie/Eric feel to it, and I know how that series go…

Comment by Holeigh (@holeigh_annie) – March 21, 2012 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes Stefan and Elena are growing closer. They have to be endgame.

Comment by kiki – March 21, 2012 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot wait for this episode. I love rippah stefan. But I WANT ELENA AND STEFAN BACK TOGETHER.

Comment by Vamplovin – March 21, 2012 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • stelena forever!!!

Comment by lea – March 21, 2012 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Endgame or not, STELENA will always be the heart of TVD. Without the love, TVD would not have even started.

Comment by buday – March 21, 2012 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am hoping Stefan an Elena get back together but this time hope to have some really hot scenes together !!! Love them together well just love Stefan!!!!!!

Comment by Nonie – March 21, 2012 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Stelena both in the book and the TV series. Best supernatural couple ever! I don’t think that it would work if she ends up with Damon

Comment by t – March 21, 2012 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Stefan. If he wants the girl I want him to have her but I had hoped to see him with a different love interest before they got back together. At the moment they seem to be moving closer. And that’s okay too. Looking forward to watching tomorrow and finding out about Alaric and Jeremy’s ring problem.

Comment by lacysos – March 21, 2012 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really want Stefan and Elena to get back together, and I really want the Originals storyline stopped and all of them killed, it has dragged on long enough. I also want badass Damon back and better writing for Bonnie and Jeremy.

Comment by k – March 21, 2012 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stelena then Delena then Stelena then Delena then Stelena then Delena. Back and forth. Boring.

Comment by WritersMessWithFans – March 21, 2012 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • **YAWNS**

Comment by TheLonelyPlace – March 21, 2012 09:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still waiting for Elena’s demise! She is the worst character in the show.

Comment by AJ – March 21, 2012 10:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree because I think elena plays a great part in vampire diaries.

Comment by Niah nesbitt – April 1, 2012 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stefan and Elena’s relationship has been heartbreaking this season, it’s about time they start growing closer… I can’t wait to see the upcoming episodes. Their love story is the heart of the show, and we really need to see some happy and fluffy moments again,

Comment by Euras – March 22, 2012 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. I think Damon and Stefan’s relationship is the heart of the show. Frankly, I could do without ever having to see Elena again. She’s terrible and she makes Stefan terrible. I would love nothing more than to have season long Damon/Stefan bromance where they actually have fun together instead of moping about because they love Elena SO SO much.

Comment by Ari – March 22, 2012 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree about a Damon/Stefan bromance. It’s ridiculous they fight so much over yet another girl. If I have to choose between Stelena, Delena, or Damon/Stefan the brothers will win everytime. Forget the love triangle, bring on the bromance!!!!!!

Comment by Kira – March 22, 2012 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Counting down the hours!! So excited! I think that Alaric will kill Meredith….that may lead him to leaving for a little while or at least further develop that storyline so that they can set it up for Matt Davis being on TVD less next season if the pilot he is on gets picked up.

Comment by sarah – March 22, 2012 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to more tonight!!!

Comment by Robin – March 22, 2012 08:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally love the show but……could have given thought about Damon and Elena together for a bit. Then Stefen could show his mean streak abit more! #BADBOYSRULE

Comment by Beth – March 22, 2012 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for the episode!! I’ve been rooting for Stelena since season 1 and even after they broke up, I wanted them to get back together! Can’t wait to finally see some Stefan and Delena scenes!!

Comment by Tanvi Chitnis – March 22, 2012 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I HATE how Elena keeps jumping between the brothers. The last episode of TVD was wonderful in my opinion, because it focused more on the relationship between the Salvatore brothers instead of their relationship with Elena. I’d prefer it if the bromance was the heart of the show, but you can’t have everything, right? As for who I think should be endgame? I’ve been a Stelena shipper since before the show started (the books) and even though Elena pisses me off like no tomorrow, I still want Stefan and Elena to end up together. And I think Damon needs someone who’s more adventurous and less naggy, Bonnie or Katherine maybe?

Comment by N – March 22, 2012 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i loooooooooooove the idea of stefan n elena getin bak……….plz let t b soon….

Comment by patience heriel – March 26, 2012 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that elena and stefan have a special thing going on and I don’t think damon should step in the way of that because the only reason i think damon thinks he love elena is cause he loved katherine once and now that katherine is gone he is saying that he loves elena because katherine and elena looks alike.but I think if damon or stefan can’t step up and take care of elena I think elena should leave both of them but knowing elena she is going to choice one.

Comment by Niah nesbitt – April 1, 2012 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its bad of elana jumping from stefan 2l Damon , they should dump her she’s a bore! Stefan and Caroline 4 a wee while an Katherine and Damon.

Comment by liz – April 11, 2012 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG, I don’t even understand how anyone would want to watch Stelena or Damon and Katharine. What needs to happen is Katherine and Stefan and Elena and Damon

Comment by Christa Sloan – April 17, 2012 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You must be out of your mind that you think damon and elena should get together..

Comment by Niah nesbitt – May 10, 2012 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that it should be stefan and elena and damon and katherien

Comment by lauren mercado – April 23, 2012 08:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she ends up with Damon I will scream. They are totally wrong for each other. I think the whole damon and elena storyline is way out of line. Season 1 and 2 shows u Stefans and Elenas love can withstand anything.

Comment by addeline – April 29, 2012 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so mad because vampire are having there season finale tonight on may 10 2012

Comment by Niah nesbitt – May 10, 2012 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really think elena and stefan should ge married and leave that foolish damon alone and let him sleep with any body he wants.

Comment by niah nesbitt – June 10, 2012 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think now elena is women even though her humanity is off just think elena haven’t been depending on stefan or damon to take care of her but I think I want the old elena but more as women go vampire diaries!!!!!

Comment by Niah nesbitt – March 20, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty! This has been an incredibly wonderful article. Thank you for providing these details.

Comment by watch thundercats ii retaliation movie online 2013 – March 25, 2013 02:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post