There’s a lot of change ahead in Sleepy Hollow‘s rebooted fourth season, but you’ll recognize at least one face that pops up in Ichabod’s new stomping grounds.
A sizzle reel screened Sunday during the supernatural drama’s New York Comic Con panel gave the audience a taste of what Ichabod Crane’s life will be like after he relocates to Washington, D.C., and becomes involved with a secret, supernatural group based in the nation’s capital.
The final moments of the new footage — which was not released to the public — feature John Noble, whom fans will remember played sin eater/Horseman of War/Ichabod’s son-and-enemy Henry in Seasons 1 and 2.
Noble’s appearance in the reel was met with big applause from the panel’s crowd, who had gathered to hear stars Tom Mison and Lyndie Greenwood —as well as co-showrunners Clifton Campbell and Albert Kim, executive producer M. Raven Metzner and series newbies Janina Gavankar (True Blood) and Jeremy Davies (Lost) — speak about the episodes ahead.
Popular on TVLine
Season 4 of Sleepy Hollow will be its first without Nicole Beharie, who exited the Fox series when her character, biblically-foretold Witness Abbie Mills, died in the Season 3 finale. “I loved playing Abbie. It’s been such a gift to have taken this wild ride,” Beharie said in a statement at the time. “Alas, ‘Abbie Mills has done all she was meant to do.’”
During the panel, the EPs tossed out a few Season 4 teasers, including that Crane will sign a lease for his first apartment, which happens to be haunted; he’ll try his hand at social media; he’ll uncover something mysterious about the Lincoln Memorial; and he’ll “learn a shocking truth that will redefine the most iconic moment of the series.”
Some highlights from the sizzle reel’s footage:
* We see what looks like the first interaction between Ichabod and Diana. Of course, there is a supernatural entity involved.
* We meet Jake (new cast member Jerry MacKinnon) and Alex (Days of Our Lives‘ Rachel Melvin), who will be Ichabod’s new colleagues. They work in the secret archives alluded to in the Season 3 finale and “catalog everything from the fringe for our files,” Jake tells Ichabod. “Most people just think we’re this weird library.”
* The new archives, which house “the secret history of America,’ are bigger and grander than those back in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y.
* Jenny has relocated to D.C. to continue the fight with Ichabod; he introduces her to someone as “soldier, scholar and all-around badass.”
* Davies’ Macolm Dreyfuss is a slick villain who warns “there really is no amount of blood that I won’t spill” to get what he wants. At one point, it appears that he and his team rally the Headless Horseman to their side.
* The search for the new second Witness is very much on Ichabod and Jenny’s minds.
* Ichabod hangs upside down for part of the teaser.
* Henry’s brief appearance happens as Ichabod is shackled and put on trial for murder in what appears to be a Colonial-era court or 18th-century British court. “Hello father,” a bewigged Henry says just as the video ends.
Thoughts on Henry’s return and/or Sleepy Hollow Season 4 in general? Tell us about them in the comments.