Video: The Flash's Grant Gustin Previews 'Gut-Wrenching' Finale — Plus: A Killer Frost Forecast?

With The CW’s The Flash set to air its freshman finale Tuesday at 8/7, the forecast calls for lotsa action, much heartbreak and just mayyyybe a nasty bit of snow.

Speaking with TVLine at The CW’s Upfronts red carpet, Grant Gustin affirmed that catching Reverse-Flash aka Eobard Thawne, and besting the rival speedster, are wildly different things.

“They’re going to have a face-to-face and monologue at each other for a bit, and he gets in Barry’s head,” the Flash star previewed. With Barry tempted to time-travel back to the night of his mother’s murder, the result is “incredibly gut-wrenching, heart-breaking,” he warns.

On the (possibly?) lighter side, promos have also hinted at a wedding between S.T.A.R. Labs’ Caitlin Snow and fiance Ronnie, who as a metahuman now exists as half of the Firestorm entity. “There’s a huge crisis in the finale, it feels like the world could end, so Caitlin is reaching out for some stability in her life,” Danielle Panabaker told TVLine. Alas, it sounds like a new player — Caitlin’s fated alter ego, Killer Frost — could throw cold water on any honeymoon for the lovebirds.

“I think you’ll see a little something in the finale…,” Panabaker hints with a smile, adding that she’s been “dying” to explore the good doctor’s villainous alter ego. “I cannot wait!”

All told, Carlos Valdes, who plays Cisco, echoes that which Candice Patton told TVLine, that The Flash’s Season 1 closer is “very unexpected…. It’s somewhat of a different color than what I thought it would be.” Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Says Valdes, “I think it might be the best [episode] we’ve done thus far.”

1. Angela says:

It says the video is private…..

2. Zach says:

I’m getting Flashpoint vibes.

• Dj says:

Yeah that’s what I think is going to happen. Plus they need to set up LoT so they can use this as to how Barry meets Rip Hunter.

3. A says:

i guess he’s gonna travel to alternate universe

4. Sam says:

I’m so glad Iris found out! 1×21 was one of the best episodes! So fantastic! I can’t wait to see Barry go back to the past. That will be so emotional! However this unknown cliffhanger for WestAllen is getting me both nervous and excited! It’s going to be amazing!

5. Jackson Webber says:

Whatever timeline Barry and Iris will always be linked. That’s one of the things I love the most. Along with his relationship with Joe. The question is will anyone remember everything that transpired? Are they going to pull a Fringe? I’m not sure. I’m excited for the finale.

Time for Caitlin to villain up. I want to see Killer Frost enough of being the nurse of Team Flash it’s getting boring.

6. lisa says:

My Westallen feels are out of control! I also actually like Reverse Flash despite his evil ways. Tuesdayy…

7. Rach a.k.a Hug Flash Fan says:

Right there with Gustin! I wanted Iris to know since midway in the season. It was fun for a couple of episodes I will admit because they got to do that Clark/Lois/Superman dynamic. However in S2 it’s time for them to team up and work together. I waited years for Clark and Lois to partner together. I want Barry and iris to get started already.

8. Jen says:

“you don’t know if it’s a positive or negative development” what the hell does that mean? ughhhth this show stresses me out. So it sounds like Westallen is going to end on a big cliffhanger. I’m not happy about that, but I’ll wait to see how everything plays out.

9. izzie says:

barry is silly to go back in time, it will ruin everything. as long as ronnie is alive and iris realizes she loves barry i’ll be happy.

10. Dean says:

While on the one hand I’d love to see Caitlin go bad its going to be alot like what Oliver and Slade went through on Arrow. It would mean she’d be going up against the people she once worked and cared for.

• John NYC says:

An alternate timeline Caitlyn?

• Justsomeguy says:

That’s my prediction. I think he will travel into the future where Caitlyn has already become Killer Frost. When Barry eventually tells her this in the present timeline, it starts her down the path to what she ultimately becomes. Caitlyn as the villain probably won’t happen for a long time though, but the journey to when she becomes that will be what’s interesting. What happens that pushes her to become that more specifically.

• John NYC says:

But that sounds more like the same timeline, just in her future. I was thinking a contemporary, parallel timeline.

11. Pat says:

I cannot wait for tomorrow night but I am also, sad that we will have to wait for the Fall when Season 2 starts up. Also, I know nothing about the Killer Frost character. I take it that this is from the comics and Caitlin is going to turn bad? That is just awful because I love her character.

12. Bob says:

Really can’t wait to see Caitlin alter-ego but i hope they go the anti-hero path, so it’s not like what they did with Slade Wilson.

13. ToyCannon says:

I fear that Joe is going to be killed. Please let me be wrong.

• Katie says:

I’m with you, Toy. I’ve been predicting Joe’s death since the pilot. I’ll hate it when it happens, I just love him so much that I just can’t believe his character will survive past season one. Better to be pleasantly surprised.

14. Anon says:

Man, I hope they don’t turn Caitlin into a villain….I know that’s the comic story, but the comics also put Oliver with Black Canary…

Barry needs his supporting cast.

15. April says:

I think Barry travels back, changes the oast and the future will be all different. With Dr. Wells still alive, Barry getting his powers at a later time. Reverse Flash sent to the future. I hope that’s the case cause I’d hate to lose the good Dr. Wells (Tom C. Is amazing playing both the good guy and the bad guy). But I also hope that once Caitlin starts to turn into Killer Frost she has a change of heart. I mean there are several different women that have taken the name Killer Frost. Maybe she’ll be a different good kind of Killer Frost. Not good but not evil??? I’d hate for the team of Barry, Cisco, Snow and Wells to be broken up. They worked so well in earlier episodes.

16. Ben says:

I definitely like it more when there is a text run-down, like this, of what’s said in the videos.
    Also, I have to wonder if he intentionally used the word ‘crisis.’

17. Azerty says:

Since there is no more spots available in the category wedding of Tvline’s May sweeps scorecard, can we assume Ronnie and Caitlin actually won’t go through the wedding?

18. JC1 says:

I think Ronnie is going to die. It might be what pushes Caitlin toward becoming Killer Frost, and it would explain why Robbie Amell isn’t in the spinoff.
    The thing I’m most afraid of is Joe dying. I really hope that doesn’t happen. I know it would probably be the death that would create the biggest impact in the moment, but I think the show would suffer for it going forward, especially with Wells/Thawne now on the other side.

• Ella says:

In the comics, Killer Frost is the enemy of Firestorm, so I don’t think Ronnie will die. I actually think they’ll come to battle in later seasons. Then again, season 3 of Arrow has proven that the writers couldn’t care less about the comic mythology so there goes that theory :/

19. javadude54 says:

I’m looking at a picture on another website from the finale and Barry is wearing a VERY retro-looking Flash costume. Retro as in it appears to be Jay Garrick’s Flash costume. There’s some very wibbily wobbly timey wimey stuff going on there.

20. Mr. Sunshine says:

As long as there is no cliffhanger, I’ll be a happy camper!

21. Rads says:

Its like they’ve swapped the Arrow finale with the Flash one!