Ratings: Grey's Anatomy Dips With Divisive Derek Death Aftermath

Greys Anatomy Derek Funeral Ratings

Grey’s Anatomy‘s two-hour, timey-wimey, May Sweeps Scorecard-slamming look at the aftermath of Derek Shepherd’s tragic death averaged 8.7 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating on Thursday night, down 9 percent from last week’s best-since-season premiere numbers.

For those who like half-hourly breakdowns, it went like this: 8.9 mil/2.6 > 8.4 mil/2.4> 8.6 mil/2.6 > 8.8 mil/2.7. TVLine readers gave the divisive episode an average grade of “C.”

Leading out of that, American Crime (3.8 mil/1.0) dropped a few eyeballs but ticked up in the demo.

Elsewhere….

NBC | Opposite the second Grey’s hour, The Blacklist (6.4 mil/1.2) dropped 15 and 20 percent to new series lows.

FOX | Bones (4.2 mil/0.9) slipped 11 percent and a tenth, to a new series low demo. The Backstrom finale (2.8 mil/0.7) dipped a tenth.

CBS | The Big Bang Theory (13.5 mil/3.2) slipped 8 and 11 percent, Odd Couple (9.3 mil/2.0) was steady and the Mom finale (8.9 mil/2.0) ticked up a tenth. Elementary (6.9 mil/1.2) dipped 10 percent and a tenth.

THE CW | The Vampire Diaries (1.2 mil/0.5) dipped a tenth to a new series low; Reign (850K/0.3) was steady.

1. Traci says:

They dipped from last week but were higher than most of the year for the full two hour show. Not too shabby.

2. wrstlgirl says:

Yet another worthless hour of American Crime. I only keep watching because it’s almost done, figured I may as well see how it ends.

• Mr. Tran K says:

I have a feeling that American Crime is going to be a “goner” soon but still couldn’t topped Elementary in the 10 p.m. time slot.

3. A says:

Two words for everybody: NFL DRAFT….puttìng up new episodes against it and the networks were asking for these numbers. *sighs* it got a 4.6 or 4.7 last year, cant remember but it was a high 4.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

ESPN’s draft coverage was down sharply from last year’s boffo numbers, but up from the three years prior.

4. Lilly says:

Such a good episode of Bones. People are seriously missing out.

• I watch it, but come on. It’s the most formulaic show outside of CBS. Two people doing some sort of activity are going about their business, they accidentally find a body in a pipe or a wooden box or a locker or sticking out of an airplane propeller. You know, straight from the Law & Order playbook. Booth and Brennan go to the scene, playful banter, indifference to the loss of human life, Brennan expresses mild enthusiasm to the unique nature of the death, Booth gets grossed out by something slimy and/or wet. Hodgins finds a bug that’s critical to the investigation, personal character relationship padding, lab experiments, padding, Angela renders a face, padding, super aggressive suspect interview with someone who immediately looks guilty, padding, same type of interview with a different suspect, padding, padding, etc, etc, turns out the killer is someone they already spoke with and they always confess and share their motive. Booth and Brennan reflect on what they’ve learned over a meal, slowly zoom out while the sounds of their voices fade. What’s that mean? 20th Century theme. Obnoxiously cutesy announcer over-explains the plot for the next episode over the credits. I finish cooking and bring my meal to the TV so that I can watch something better with dinner.

• A says:

BONES GOT AJUSTED UP in final ratings…yes that required caps :) I will take anything!!!

5. Mr. Tran K says:

NBC’s Thursday night line-up remains a “black hole” for the past several years not to mention the comedy block that they had. Who knows whether or not Blacklist is going to stay on Thursdays next season or possibly if Bob Greenblatt is still thinking about a Plan B. As for Grey’s, wonder if ABC is planning a proper “final season” for the medical series since the tragic aftermath of Patrick Dempsey’s character.

6. Coach Taylor says:

HOLY CRAP NBC CUT THE S*** WITH THE BLACKLIST!

7. Gerri says:

Oh Vampire Diaries. I am still invested and will watch next season. I guess the show will get a little more affordable to produce once Nina leaves, because the ratings are not great.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Hope the CW is thinking about planning a proper “final season” for TVD.

• Lucifer says:

It’s been renewed for a 7th season, so unless the ratings take a huge plunge with these last couple of episodes, it’s completely safe for 1 more season.

8. SuLyn says:

Such a huge huge huge disappointment and a slap in the face to fans of over 10yrs who deserved better regarding a send-off to Derek! No guest stars like Christina, Addison, how about Izzy and even Burke making a cameo! That’s what people wanted to see, Derek
    getting recognized by all…..at least it would have partially made up for Derek getting killed off!

• zelda Hendsbee says:

I agree with your completely ! I was so disappointed over the half -ss send off they gave a man who helped carry the show for the last 11 years .. what’s up with that ? I watched it and all I could think of . was I “was” a loyal fan …. but I’m has been fan now ! Greys goes off my list of must watch next fall and I’m sure we can’t be alone in our feelings . Maybe fire who ever have the lame brain excuse to kill him off might have been a much better idea !

• Over It says:

I can’t bring myself to watch it. I feel as if they jumped the shark by killing Derek off— Shanda’s only “move” is to kill her cast off but, this one was a poorly played hand. After 11 years, I am done.

9. SR needs to learn how to deal with co workers without killing them off when there are issues. This hurts the loyal fans.

10. Dennis says:

They should have never killed of Derek.

And Blacklist should NEVER have moved
    To Thursday’s. It took Grey’s YEARS to keep growing for ABC to feel comfortable to move it to Thursday…NBC doing it after one season was silly and a wrong move.

• ChicagoDan says:

Not true. GA moved after first full season (remember S1 had 9 episodes). So it basically moved after 36 episodes. TBL moved after 32. No real difference. But GA’s was a far hotter property at the time, even outrating DH. TBL has been dropping this fall. It was a big mistake to move TBL without lead-in OR lead-out support. It is an island.

• Mr. Tran K says:

You guys should wait until the upfronts starting on May 10th or the 11th when NBC unveils its primetime schedule for the Fall and mid-season. Doesn’t matter if Blacklist should stay on Thursdays if the entire line-up is going to turn things around.

11. Sara says:

It seems like a lot of shows are slipping in the ratings. Shouldn’t ratings go up during May sweeps? Or is this a typical thing as the weather gets better and better?

12. B says:

I’m sure there was curiosity from Grey’s watchers about how they’d handle the aftermath. It’ll be interesting to see what the numbers are next week and, more importantly, next season. To me, the episode felt like a series finale though I know they were trying to reboot. I *may* finish out the season, but I’m not sure after that.

13. Annie says:

I never thought a fan boycott would have been so affective, but seeing TVD hit a new series low has proved me otherwise. The fans have clearly spoken. Renewing the show knowing Nina was leaving the biggest mistake the already foundering writers have made yet.

14. Pam says:

Not bad for Greys. It’s still up from what it was getting in the weeks prior to Derek’s death. I’m guessing it’ll probably drop back down to 2.1/2.2 in the demo for the 2 part finale since that’s what it was getting before. Good for a show that’s been on eleven years. Poor Blacklist. I don’t watch it but it’s obvious NBC made a bad call moving it to Thursdays.

15. kmw says:

Yes it was a very good episode. Bones has gotten better since first half. It did adjust up but not like I would like it too. If you would really watch they have gotten away from doing the same things . I have never believed Bones should be on at 8 o clock it should be on at 9. I will take Bones any day over the crap Greys is giving their fans right now. Bones isn’t the only show suffering losses in ratings it seems almost everything has gone down( Empire being exception) The show moving around so often and the stupid decision to not have Booth and Brennan in a lot scenes in first half caught up to it. Seriously the show is much better now I wish people would come back and give it another chance

16. Karolyn Wells says:

Bring dreak back!!

17. Sam says:

Personally I think ratings are dropping because people are getting rid of their $80/month cable and watching their favorite shows on services like Hulu and Netflix. I did.