Stana Katic Absentia

Stana Katic's FBI Thriller Absentia Gets Big Promo Push — Next, a U.S. Home?

As part of its bid to land a Stateside home, Castle alum Stana Katic‘s new FBI thriller, Absentia, has scored a primo showcase — as the opening night screening for the 57th Monte-Carlo Television Festival.

The annual festival (to be held from June 16-20) “celebrates the very best of television” as well as offers marketing and PR opportunities to producers/distributors looking to access a large group of international journalists, to promote/support sales to worldwide broadcasters. Opening night screenings in recent years have showcased Chicago Med, Empire and Crossing Lines.

Last October, Absentia received a straight-to-series, 10-episode order from Sony Pictures Television Networks’ AXN. With production underway and with an eye on a fall launch, the series is firing up its hunt for a home in the U.S. and other international markets. (AXN previously has commissioned Crossing Lines and Hannibal.)

As reported by TVLine’s Inside Line, there is no truth to rumor that Crackle has a deal to stream Absentia in the United States.

Absentia follows Katic’s Emily Byrne, an FBI agent who, while hunting one of Boston’s most notorious serial killers, vanishes without a trace and is declared dead. Six years later, she is found in a cabin in the woods, clinging onto life and with no memory of her missing time. Returning home, Emily not only discovers that her husband (Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce‘s Patrick Heusinger) has remarried, she also finds herself implicated in a series of murders.

The cast also includes Angel Bonanni (Shots Fired), Neil Jackson (Sleepy Hollow), Cara Theobold (Downton Abbey), Bruno Bichir (Narcos), Ralph Ineson (The Witch) and Richard Brake (Game of Thrones).

“With its acclaimed cast and crew, alongside its intriguing premise, I’m certain Absentia will prove a huge hit with international audiences,” Monte-Carlo Television Festival CEO Laurent Puons said in a statement.

1. Patrick says:

Can’t wait to see Stana shine on my TV again! Also, props to the Absentia team for already promoting the show and interacting with fans on SM.

2. Alex says:

Sounds good, I’ll give it a try

3. Dawn says:

I’m so happy for Stana and everyone involved with Absentia. Best of luck to all of them.

4. …. Best News yet! I’m a BIG SK fan and looking forward eagerly to see ABSENTIA !!!
    YAY for STANA, thank you TVline.com for this news!!!

5. Teri says:

Stana makes everything worth watching.

6. Lindsay O'Connor says:

I hope one of our main tv channels will pick this up! I can only afford basic cable! I really want to see this here in the states! Just stay away from ABC if you can, they have proven themselves cold, valuable and untrustworthy!

7. Geordie says:

Really looking forward to seeing this series . Hope we hear soon which north american stations will get to show it!

8. Glenda Shearman says:

So hope a U.S. network picks this up! I want to see this so much! Thank you, TV Line!

9. EmmaK says:

She always puts her best foot forward and I have no doubt anything she does will be worth watching. I pray she gets someone other than abc to pick this up here in the states. They’re completely unloyal to their stars and their fan bases.

10. Rose says:

I’m a fan of Stana Katic & look forward to watching Absentia on TV. She is the best of the best & no other actress can come close to her acting abilities, her dedication to her work & her beauty with her million dollar smile and eyes that can tell a story of their own

11. Audrey says:

Thanks for keeping us updated Matt. Loved Stana Katic’s portrayal of Kate Beckett and looking forward to her role as Emily in her new series Absentia.

12. Loretta says:

Oh great to hear of Stana Kati is returning back to t.v. . can’t wait to see it on June 16th.

• Dawn Long says:

The June 16th date is when Absentia opens the Monaco TV Festival. Her series has yet to be purchased by anyone here in the States. It is hoped that with a great reception at the Festival, it will get bought so all of her fans here in the States will see it. Hope that clears up the slight confusion.

• Also a fan of SK, but this is a bad choice for her career. Far-fetched story with her as a law enforcement officer sounds vaguely familiar…Oh right she just finished that gig. As for the Monte Carlo awards she would have been an outstanding addition to BILLIONS which actually won a Golden Nymph at the festival. She just needs a better agent.😏

13. Kimberly says:

I loved her in castle but for her to leave and just be FBI I really don’t get it

• Notdisappointed says:

She didn’t “leave” of her own accord, and she took law enforcement roles before Castle, a uniform street cop in the Spirit, a CIA Agent in Company Man, (a pilot not picked up by Fox), and a detective in Would Be Kings, which has a scene where she is asked why she wears high heels and her reply is very similar to the dialogue in “Nikki Heat” when asked the same question. She is listed as an executive producer for Absentia so maybe the opportunity to be more involved in the process swayed her decision to take on the role.

• Patrick says:

GEEZ! She didn’t left she was FIRED. Learn the difference, people. And what’s wrong with playing an FBI member?

• Notdisappointed says:

Exactly. And the synopsis for Absentia suggests it’s not a “normal” COTW type show as her character apparently spends a lot of the time on the run as the suspect.

• Really enjoyed SK in the first six seasons of CASTLE. Keep a library of my favorite episodes on DVR . Can’t say I’ve enjoyed her other work as much. Not her acting which I feel is always exceptional, but her choice of material always seems just a bit off. Why another cop show? Why a truly bizarre storyline? Why on a less than frontline platform? She should be getting much better offers and roles. Her talent deserves it.

• Lisa says:

Agree totally with this.

Good actress, can’t pick roles very well. I get artistic reasons, etc. but seriously, FLO was like a super long Calvin Klein ad, CBGB and Big Sur were so bad that I couldn’t get through them, and I am a movie person. Horrible movies all.

This show will get picked up by FX or USA maybe and I will def give it a shot though.

14. Miriam Olivieri says:

Luv all the updates. W busy schedules plus everyday life one can stay tuned w our handheld devices no matter where or when
    Thanks

15. CEJ says:

I need Stana back on my TV!

16. Jon says:

When can we see some footage?

17. John T Bell says:

Katic looks so Slavic. Does she have to keep playing Irish characters?

18. Govan says:

Show has already been picked up in Canada. I am really looking forward to seeing the series this fall! Ms. Katic is a supurb actress and I hope this series give her thr room she needs to show the real depth of her talent! As for ABC! really can’t be trusted to give their shows or audiences any respect! So hope USA get to see the series on one of the other US channels! If U get the Canadian channel Showcase it will be on in the fall!

19. DarkDefender says:

Wasn’t there a blind item about a series that was ordered but might never make it to air on a US network because it was not that good?

• Notdisappointed says:

I doubt the organisers of the Monte Carlo event would have chosen it to open their festival in the presence of the Prince of Monaco if that had been the case, and some of the people who were at the premiere have tweeted that they are happy with what they saw, and the choices of US Networks in recent seasons haven’t exactly filled their schedules with too many quality shows. I don’t understand the exact timetable for submitting shows for consideration but I believe that all the networks had announced their Fall schedules for 2017 before Absentia was given an airing at the LA Screenings, and as it is only 10 episodes they would have had to have found something else to fill out the season if they had been interested, too much like hard work maybe.