Teen Wolf Recap

Teen Wolf Recap: Fear and Loathing in Beacon Hills — Who Died This Time?

Beacon Hills’ newest hunters claimed their first big kill on Sunday’s Teen Wolf. (Well, the first big kill we actually sort of care about, anyway.)

‘Twas poor Brett Talbot — he of the eight-pack abs — who died in the episode’s closing moments, run down by one of the hunters’ enormous, eco-unfriendly SUVs after spending the entire hour on the run.

But no one — not even Brett’s sister, who’s apparently been part of this show for three seasons, unbeknownst to me — took Brett’s death as hard as Liam. The young leader-in-training let out a ferocious roar to mourn his fallen were-bro, one that freaked the hell out of a bunch of (mostly) innocent bystanders. It would appear that Lydia’s premonition, about the people of Beacon Hills turning on the pack out of fear, is already coming true.

And because nothing on this show happens by accident, Grandpappy Argent made sure to accept all of the credit for the chaos. “You set this up,” Ms. Monroe noted. “Is this part of the lesson?” To which Gerard replied, “Everything’s a lesson, every moment with me. And if there’s one thing you learned today, it’s this: The best way to build an army is through fear.”

But it wasn’t all gloom and doom this week. In fact, we should probably talk about that moment between Scott and Malia — you know, the one neither of them realized was about to turn romantic… until it was too late:

Malia: We should have called Stiles!
Scott: No, we promised we wouldn’t.
Malia: It was a stupid promise.
Scott: We almost lost him last time.
Malia: Yeah, and now I’m going to lose you, too.
Scott: You? You’re going to lose…?
Malia: Yeah, me, all of us. You know what I mean.
Scott: Yeah, I think so.
Malia: And, you know, Stiles wouldn’t be OK with this. If he knew all of the things we were trying to do without him, he’d kill us.
Scott: I think he’d be OK.
Malia: With this?
Scott: With us.
Malia: What do you mean? … No, no, don’t pass out. I don’t think you’re supposed to pass out. Plus, I’m really confused by what we’re talking about. So, Scott, wake up!

I’ll have some of executive producer Jeff Davis’ thoughts on Scott and Malia’s budding romance (?) tomorrow, but for now, can we just take a moment to let this interaction sink in?

Elsewhere this week…

* Scott and Malia may be inching their way towards… something… but no Beacon Hills pairing is hotter right now than Melissa McCall and Chris Argent. Hell, those two can even make a casual encounter over a burnt corpse into a romantic moment. And I love that she’s the one calling the shots now: “You don’t have go to.” (And he didn’t!)

* In less romantic news, what is up with newbie Nolan? I mean, I remember getting stressed out while studying in high school, but I never stabbed a kid in the hand just to see how quickly it would heal. Fortunately, Corey healed almost immediately — but that’s not the point! That kid is trouble.

Your thoughts on Sunday’s Teen Wolf? Hopes for the rest of the season? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Anne says:

As someone who has been shipping Melissa McCall and Chris Argent since this dang show began…well it’s really the best part now.

2. Leela says:

I’m positive that both Brett and Lori were killed. I think that’s why she stopped moving. I always thought Brett shoulda been treated better as a character. Been a regular. He and Corey were the better on the newbies. Them and Theo. This last arc is up and down but, I like the real world metaphor of it all.

3. N says:

Everyone’s gonna die

4. Phil says:

Gerard better die and stay dead by the end of this season.

5. DeAnna says:

Im so emotional about brett dying whats worse is lori i couldnt take his pain that sent a flurry of hot tears omg noooo im crying. Im pretty sure lori didnt die she stopped moving because she layed down next to bretts body because she was devistaed she lost her brother who has been there for her so she was mourning.

6. Hipper says:

“The best way to build an army is through fear.” Not subtle at all, Jeff Davis, not subtle at all. Also, anyone noticed Tyler Posey directed this episode?

7. nick says:

How will they wrap this up in 7 episodes? The final scene was stellar! Congrats to Tyler Posey for directing it…

8. Goldenvibefan says:

Leave it to Jeff to throw away Malia’s history with Stiles out the window just so Scott can have a love interest. Ugh. Loves pandering to the Stydia fanbase. ><

• Poppy says:

Loves pandering to the Stydia fanbase.

Really? When Stiles only makes a cameo appearance in the last 10 episodes.

9. Renota Johns says:

I’ve never cried so hard or long in the six seasons Teen Wolf been on.
    Brett dying also his sister. Brought me to hysteric.
    Liam being found out. I’ve never wanted a character dead so much in my life in, any tv program. The way I want Gerard Argent DEAD.

10. John says:

Scott and Malia was just stupid. You might as well call it a friends with benefits type deal

11. Shaun says:

Liam is a complete idiot.Need Hayden back now,or Derek.

• John says:

About the only two who haven’t been complete idiots for much of the time are Stiles and Lydia. Scott’s “don’t kill the bad guys attitude” has let how many creatures/things/monsters go so they can terrorize other towns?

12. lisa says:

I want stiles and Lydia to get married

13. John says:

I’ve been hoping for Melissa and Argent to get together since the beginning. It makes perfect sense. It’s hotter than Sterek and I’m gay. LOL

14. Jo says:

They have really been going in way too many directions here!!!! soo many changes it feels like a diff show! Where is stiles does he really cost that much now to book for an episode?? And derek and so onnnnn…

15. Poppy says:

This episode served to show what a weak, ineffectual and poor ‘Alpha’ McCall is. He couldn’t even control his own Beta Liam and allowed him to run rings around him and completely take over/

16. lisa says:

I hope Chris and Melissa get a mention in Performer of the Week? They were so good in their hospital scene!

17. Romane says:

Make a story about Liam’s turning into a leader after Scott is gone
    Like a new series for he and his friends